37 21.02%
  • Heritage 535

61 34.66%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 114 of 114

User Info Menu

I got an Ibanez JSM10 a couple years ago. Played it alot for the first 6 months. Versatile, really liked using it with a Blues/Rock band I was in. Later I just found it was too bright for jazz. I changed the Magnet in the neck pickup for an A2, it made enough of a difference for me. Mellower and warmer. Also, I find the 3 way switch useful.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    I got an Ibanez JSM10 a couple years ago. Played it alot for the first 6 months. Versatile, really liked using it with a Blues/Rock band I was in. Later I just found it was too bright for jazz. I changed the Magnet in the neck pickup for an A2, it made enough of a difference for me. Mellower and warmer. Also, I find the 3 way switch useful.
    i've grown quite fond of the JSM10, in my view an unbeatable proposition for quality and playability at its price, and the JSM20 i chose (same instrument, but in low-gloss black) served well for quite a passable rendition of the more typical jazz tone with its tone pots rolled slightly off – left full open, its tone is indeed a tad brighter than what the original recipe calls for (though, as usual, choice of amp and type of input stage, as well as choice of connection between them two, means your mileage may vary).

it went down well until when, recently, some ongoing nasty pain from neck muscles suggested it's time to start playing sitting instead of standing. and with this came the need to raise the neck way higher skyward, guitar hung higher too, off a shorter strap... which is when the JSM20 started to get in the way, too big for me at this point in life.

my teacher of ever then called to my attention a new model that Ibanez introduced for 2021, one having the equivalent relation to JSM10 / JSM20 that a Gibson 339 has to a 335 – same scale length, same pickups, and same body depth, too – but smaller overall size, and instead of the JSM10's Quick Change III, it comes with trapeze tailpiece! it's called AMH90.

teacher shall receive a trial / demo piece next week, and i put great hope that it can get again as close to a classic jazz guitar tone as size and cost allow. sure, as with any mass-produced guitar in a popular price range, it all revolves around quality control, in the end, unless a design isn't flawed from the start – so you might get better ones and worse ones within the same batch, in theory, but i've yet to see Ibanez fail at that, honestly – they have mastered, in my view, a way to keep control of the lower end of price spectrum by offering more bang (than any other brand in that price segment) for less buck, and have been at that for at least a good decade (and then some).

i've read descriptions of the new AMH90 not always consistent, somewhere it is said to be fully-hollow, while somewhere else it is being described as semi-hollow... that's why teacher getting a demo one can help!
    oh, and before i forget: it has the same TriSound switch that the JSM10 has, too, to switch the neck pickup from parallel to serial coils, and to tap off one of them, too!

i'll report here, after a test drive, if ever i'll be able to get one myself!
    Attached Images Attached Images Choosing a Semi-hollow jazz guitar-ibanez-artcore-expressionist-amh90-bk-black-jpg 

User Info Menu

That smaller Ibanez is nice. I also have an Ibanez Am75 from the 80's. It's the same size as that. It's even brighter than my JSM10. But a cool little guitar. Has a bit less depth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    That smaller Ibanez is nice. I also have an Ibanez Am75 from the 80's. It's the same size as that. It's even brighter than my JSM10. But a cool little guitar. Has a bit less depth.
    it's great to have your ears, and eyes, @Ronstuff, given your first-hand experience with an '80s-made AM75... i myself was on the prowl for the (Japan-made, Prestige-Series) AM200 for years, the higher-end small-body, but what few appeared in classifieds were only offered at a price i couldn't afford.

does your AM75 body carry a center-block, as was the AM200 i was initially looking for?

because, and i won't know until i can put my hands on an AMH90 (and take its pickups off to look inside), my cue on it possibly "replacing" a "real" hollow-body jazzbox i couldn't wear anyway, was the weight pictured on a scale i found from a vendor on the 'net, showing 5.129 lbs (which makes it, in my view at least, quite unlikely that it sports a solid center-block, as such).

pitched as i am on this, of course i can't prove that the equation "fully-hollow = deeper-sounding" holds true at all cases, as I can't concurrently prove that "semi-hollow = leaner-sounding" in the least, construction techniques and materials employed in any mass-produced model making each a case of its very own...

but if only i can get my hands and ears onto one of these new ones, then i'll know, and see for myself if it makes sense to chase one as my luckiest replacement for the JSM20 / JSM10 model – which, can't forget for a moment, still retails at about 40% more than the (usually higher, right at launch time) price of the new AMH90. and, at the worst, consider a pickup change that's almost the synonim of first entrance check-in, here.

User Info Menu

Yes my Am75 has a center block. I have changed the pickups in mine for a more standard PAF type. Dimarzio 36th anniversary model.
    There a few guys around here that use an Am200 and they really love that guitar. One of the them has been using it exclusively for a long time!

You do need to try the guitar, they do sound different from the JSM10.

User Info Menu

Yes my Am75 has a center block. I have changed the pickups in mine for a more standard PAF type. Dimarzio 36th anniversary model. There a few guys around here that use an Am200 and they really love that guitar. One of the them has been using it exclusively for a long time! You do need to try the guitar, they do sound different from the JSM10.
    (thank you for your kind and knowledgeable reply, much appreciated! will keep my eyes open, see if i can find one!)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rbbrnck
    i've grown quite fond of the JSM10, in my view an unbeatable proposition for quality and playability at its price, and the JSM20 i chose (same instrument, but in low-gloss black) served well for quite a passable rendition of the more typical jazz tone with its tone pots rolled slightly off – left full open, its tone is indeed a tad brighter than what the original recipe calls for (though, as usual, choice of amp and type of input stage, as well as choice of connection between them two, means your mileage may vary).

it went down well until when, recently, some ongoing nasty pain from neck muscles suggested it's time to start playing sitting instead of standing. and with this came the need to raise the neck way higher skyward, guitar hung higher too, off a shorter strap... which is when the JSM20 started to get in the way, too big for me at this point in life.

my teacher of ever then called to my attention a new model that Ibanez introduced for 2021, one having the equivalent relation to JSM10 / JSM20 that a Gibson 339 has to a 335 – same scale length, same pickups, and same body depth, too – but smaller overall size, and instead of the JSM10's Quick Change III, it comes with trapeze tailpiece! it's called AMH90.

teacher shall receive a trial / demo piece next week, and i put great hope that it can get again as close to a classic jazz guitar tone as size and cost allow. sure, as with any mass-produced guitar in a popular price range, it all revolves around quality control, in the end, unless a design isn't flawed from the start – so you might get better ones and worse ones within the same batch, in theory, but i've yet to see Ibanez fail at that, honestly – they have mastered, in my view, a way to keep control of the lower end of price spectrum by offering more bang (than any other brand in that price segment) for less buck, and have been at that for at least a good decade (and then some).

i've read descriptions of the new AMH90 not always consistent, somewhere it is said to be fully-hollow, while somewhere else it is being described as semi-hollow... that's why teacher getting a demo one can help!
    oh, and before i forget: it has the same TriSound switch that the JSM10 has, too, to switch the neck pickup from parallel to serial coils, and to tap off one of them, too!

i'll report here, after a test drive, if ever i'll be able to get one myself!
    i heard those have a neck-dive issue standing...
    Last edited by jzucker; 04-17-2021 at 04:17 PM.

User Info Menu

...thanks for the heads up! it's good to show up prepared at a rendez-vous - shall any contact opportunity appear on the radar anytime soon, i'll keep the non-vegan guitar strap (with vegetable-tan) at hand!

User Info Menu

Gretsch Tennessee Rose MIJ..

User Info Menu

Hey guys, resurrecting the post here.

I'm thinking about these semi-hollows:

Gibson ES 137
    Gibson ES 335
    Ibanez AS2000 or the JSM100

I already own an Epi ES175 premium. I got a good deal on the ES 137, but I'm afraid it may sound too similar.

Anyone had and experience with the ES 137 for a more funky, bluesy sound, with a some drive and effects?

Or if you guys could reccomend some other guitars. I really like the AS2000, maybe more than the 335. Maybe the 339? Anyone with experience bewteen these guitars?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Just wanted to add here I was working with a Seventy Seven importer, and the hoped for 'planned for late September' reintroduction of Japanese Exrubatos is now off the table. The JT, or Japan Tune-up guitars currently made in the Philippines and 'finished' in Japan are going to be the only option going (foreseeably) forward. I haven't played or even seen one, but I have heard they are still very nice with necks more like an Ibanez and not the fat necks of Japanese Seventy Sevens.

User Info Menu

Just bought a Epiphone inspired by Gibson 335 teaburst and it is a excellent guitar for any price.

User Info Menu

I love my SA2200. Sounds as good as the AS200 and I like having the coil taps on both pickups.

User Info Menu

A semi I really liked while I had it was an Epiphone es339. Had coil taps, nice weight, very versatile and comfortable to play.