37 21.02%
  • Heritage 535

61 34.66%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 114

User Info Menu

I would really like to try the Seventy Seven Exrubato, pretty much their take on the traditional 335. Had their semi hollow albatross with P90s for awhile and quite liked it.
    MD

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Their guitars are great. I wish there were more of them in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by mad dog
    I would really like to try the Seventy Seven Exrubato, pretty much their take on the traditional 335. Had their semi hollow albatross with P90s for awhile and quite liked it.
    MD

User Info Menu

Perhaps they are not all recorded the same way or with the same amp but to my ears I liked the Sadowsky first, followed by the ES339, then the Albatross.

User Info Menu

I've had a new Godin Montreal Premiere for about 5 weeks now. It's gotten about 98% of my playing time since it arrived and I'm very happy with it.

User Info Menu

Tons of semi-hollow options for the OP to consider. Any decisions?

Still waiting to get them all under my fingers.
    Like the idea of a new Heritage or used Ibanez or Gibson best. I'm surprised there is little love for the Eastman. I played one yesterday and quite like it. But, the store didn't have any of the others to compare it to. The owner was also trying very hard to sell me on his Vox guitar that I had no interest in... so there's that.
    But, I really don't want to buy used without getting my hands on it first. So many considerations, loving all the opinions!
    Last edited by JMoto; 04-20-2017 at 01:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by goldenwave77
    You need to try a bunch of these. I had a beautiful looking "Orville" 335. It was completely dead sounding, and I sold it in short order.

I had a Norlin-era 347. Good guitar....coil tap wasn't quite convincing for the single-coil sound, but I don't think these ever are. Dark-ish, rich sound. Probably should have kept it.

Auditioned an Ibanez Scofield guitar....very underwhelmed....just kind of middle of the road tone-wise. It wasn't cheap, either.

Have a 339 which is as good as any of these, if not better. It actually sounds airier than the 347 did, but they're pretty close.

Semis are a kind of halfway house...and I think some of them are better than others, to get away from the land of "meh".

135's, 137's, Howard Roberts Fusions, Hawk 77's, etc., Ibanezes, Eastmans, Epiphones....any one of these might sound great.

I think the consensus on 175's is that sound-wise, they can be all over the lot...I think the same is true with the semis.

IMO, it will come down to one instrument that speaks to you.
    Yeah, it seems to me that with this sort of guitar, it's more about playability, and then if the pickups are not getting you, replace them. You can tweak knobs and amps ... but you cannot tweak shitty craftsmanship.

Put your fingers on it and let them tell you the truth.

User Info Menu

I own a 1995 Gibson ES 135 with P100s from the factory and love it dearly. The guitar has an excellent 50s Gibson neck, the body is very resonant (due to the balsa center block) and the tone is very unique, yet familiar. This guitar was also available with humbuckers however I believe the P100s sound amazing for jazz with the tone rolled to 4. Highly recommended! You can find some with stop tail pieces too, I believe.

Ian

My 135:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

MD

User Info Menu

Some nice clips out there of the Exrubato. But I might be wrong about the semihollow part. That "Jazz" model is described as fully hollow, with an arched, spruce top.
    MD

User Info Menu

So what's the verdict on this one? Btw... I recently started to play on 1968 Starfire, its a really sweet guitar. Highly recommended.

User Info Menu

I own a Heritage 535 and an Eastman T185MX. If cost is not an objective, I definitely prefer the 535.

The tone and tone variability are definitely superior in the 535.

If cost is important, the T185MX is a fine guitar and well made. It is just less versatile with not quite as nice in the play-ability aspect.

User Info Menu

I am a real semi-hollow addicted.
    I own:

Gibson es 347
    Gibson 335 (cherry)
    Gibson 335 (natural)
    Collings I35LC

The 335s are the ones I regularly play
    The 347 was my first serious guitar, I cannot separate from such a wonderful guitar
    The Collings is top-notch. I play it when I want to hear more definition in the sound.
    I am now considering buying another 335, one of those custom shops, '63 reissue.......
    Or maybe I should just stay put

User Info Menu

Anyway OP I can sympathize - I just by accident noticed this Guitar on a few Demos..

And it always sounds great on every Demo even with

various Players ..but it's discontinued and $3000 even used...!

So I get an email from Kiesel ( standard Promo )

they have a new semi- hollow coming out S6 that is
    2.6 Inches thick / tapered at edges..
    But the Darn thing is 24 Frets !

I am trying to get them( Keisel ) to do a 22 Fret ( and a Holdsworth H2 - 22 but I am not Famous lol).
    Can you imagine a 2.6" Semi Hollow and THEN doing
    only 24 Fret version ?

They will also install Pickups you send ..

But I can't recommend Keisel Carvin for Semis because they tend toward Bright Side...so far anyway.

I played a NOS ES 137 that was heavy but had really deep clean tones...better than a 335 for Deep and Dark as in a bit more ES 175 - but could have been just that 'One'.( not as good as a 175 of course ).Edit- many ES 137s are halfway between a 335 and a 175 to my ears.
    They are discontinued and cheap if still around ..
    Guitar Center had it tagged at $1799 and would have
    gone lower...not too popular but nice ..IMO for

EDIT: I have since become aware of the Seventy Sevens and if the neck is not super thick...the Hawk, Jazz Hawk, and Jazz Hawk Fat and the Exrubato Jazz seen earlier in this Thread are all on my Radar.

I think it will be easy to go overlap into Jazz Tones with the Seventy Sevens and a few other Guitars based upon Demos- rich Tones that don't need Gain etc. that will be far better than that PRS !
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 10-20-2017 at 06:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Love me some Paul Jackson Jr.!
    He has grown into one of my favorite RnB/Jazz-ish guitar instrumental players.

Regarding his tone...he tends to sound the same (in a very good way!) on all of the guitars he uses these days (Gibson or PRS mostly) whether semi-hollow, solid or full hollow. Early recordings had him experimenting with many types of guitars and effects, most sounding thin or sterile. Its great to follow an artist and see how they evolve into "their signature sound".

User Info Menu

I've had two, 335 and D'A EXDC.

I sold the 335, which I regret.

The EXDC was my main instrument for a while, with a particularly singing high end. But, some of the notes above the 12th fret on the lower strings sound plinky, which would keep me from playing up there.

OTOH, my Strat copy sounds good in that range, which gives me some options on higher voicings for chords.

Since you listed a 347 instead of a 335, the maple neck I am assuming is not an issue.

You should jump on the CME deals for the 335 Studio they have for 995. They have maple necks (like the 347, less bling and no neck binding (like the original 58 335 models).

They come in sunburst or cherry. You could probably get them down to $900.

Good luck on your quest

Chicago Music Exchange | Chicago Guitar, Amp, Effect & Drum Dealer (put 335 studio in the search feature). take care

User Info Menu

i had one and found it too bright for my tastes. Sort of 275'ish with almost no bottom end. i think the PRS Hollowbody series sounds much better IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa
    Anyway OP I can sympathize - I just by accident noticed this Guitar on a few Demos..

I am trying to get them( Keisel ) to do a 22 Fret ( and a Holdsworth H2 - 22 but I am not Famous lol).
    only 24 Fret version ?

But I can't recommend Keisel Carvin for Semis because they tend toward Bright Side...so far anyway.

I played a NOS ES 137 that was heavy but had really deep clean tones...better than a 335 for Deep and Dark as in a bit more ES 175 - but could have been just that 'One'.( not as good as a 175 of course ).Edit- many ES 137s are halfway between a 335 and a 175 to my ears.

EDIT: I have since become aware of the Seventy Sevens and if the neck is not super thick...the Hawk, Jazz Hawk, and Jazz Hawk Fat and the Exrubato Jazz seen earlier in this Thread are all on my Radar.

I think it will be easy to go overlap into Jazz Tones with the Seventy Sevens and a few other Guitars based upon Demos- rich Tones that don't need Gain etc. that will be far better than that PRS !

User Info Menu

Regarding neck thickness, seventy seven deliberately uses a thicker neck to avoid warpage. I have 3 currently and I've owned several others. They are all thicker than any of the recent gibsons I have played or owned. thicker than the 339 30/60 neck. I don't have measurements but they are not in the baseball-bat league but are definitely not like what you see in an ibanze benson or metheny.

only 24 Fret version ?

User Info Menu

There are so many great ways to go with a semi-acoustic guitar. You are embarking on a joyous shopping trip. Play them all! The Eastman, Ibanez, 70s-80s Japanese copies, etc., are all worthy instruments. The Gibson, of course, is excellent.

I should mention that the Guild Starfires from the 70s and on are outstanding guitars. I played a Guild in stage band (owned by the school). Wish I owned it.

I owned a Gibson for years. Loved it. I now own a Polytone Improv II. These are quite scarce, so (except for the one for sale on Reverb right now) you won't likely find one of those. I think they are the cat's whiskers.

I would personally recommend either the Heritage or the 2nd-hand Epi Elitist. The ones I've played are quite good.

One thing is certain: a semi-acoustic guitar is a "cover all bases" instrument.

User Info Menu

I've followed my own advice earlier in this thread and recently purchased a 1980 Ibanez AS200 - better than many G*bs*n 335s I've played and to my ears (always subjective, I know) the pickups are the closest thing to real PAFs I have heard. The Ibanez is almost identical in timbre to my 1961 175D and, just a tad hotter when pushed to pull volume. A steal at 1.700 Euros. If you see one, don't hesitate - try it and (probably) buy it). All it lacks vs the 175 is a very full "thunk"...

User Info Menu

I've had a demo Seventy Seven Exrubato Custom in koa wood for about 4 weeks now. Since it arrived I haven't touched my Eastman archtop anymore. It has a big neck but really comfortable. To improve vibration the neck is made of roasted maple and the center block is a chambered maple one. Not common to every (maple) 335 the koa wood seems to improve the brightness of the high-ends and creates a warmer tight low-end. Pickups are Mojotone '59 clones. What a lovely guitar!

User Info Menu

only 24 Fret version ?

Paul Jackson Jr... what a player, what a guy. Amazing. Fantastic clip.

User Info Menu

Yes, the Seventy Seven and the Archtop Tribute are both very nice guitars. The other 335 style MIJ guitar I like is the Momose which runs a little more towards the Gibson price range. You don’t see these guitars all over the place in Tokyo like the Gibson 335 but when I do run across one I always stop and admire and I rarely see used ones. The colors are also what set these guitars apart which makes them look fresher. All the SS, AT and Momose guitars I’ve come across are all beautifully made. I look to pick one up in the near future.

MD

User Info Menu

Just picked up a 1981 Aria Pro II TA-100 Titan Artist -- a Matsumoku guitar -- and, wow!

What hooked me was the carved maple top, and ebony fretboard, along with the MMK-75 pickups. It's a beautiful 335-type guitar. Apparently only 1500 were made. Really lovely semi if you can find them, and reasonably priced for the quality of instrument that it is.

Here are a few quick pics.

-Chris
    Choosing a Semi-hollow jazz guitar-20171103_083149-jpgChoosing a Semi-hollow jazz guitar-20171103_083115-jpgChoosing a Semi-hollow jazz guitar-20171103_083205-jpg