The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 178

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    The Baby Brute is a real find. Those that have them hang onto them. I have one and it is probably the best archtop guitar amp--in particular, the best ES-175 amp--of all of my Polytones.

There is something about the one cubic-foot enclosure and the 4-ohm 8" speaker that just translates to an incredible sound for an ES-175. (or ES-165, of course)

I was at a big vintage show once and offered to buy several Baby Brutes from different guitar sellers. Each guy said "no way."
    the 8” speaker helps to bring out naturally the midrange 175 sound.
    I’m courious to have one someday, I’m sure will suits my 175 as well my L5.
    My dream is to see polytone make the world business again, stronger and better then in the past.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Amen to the Babies. I just acquired the red Baby Taurus pictured upthread and it is a darned amazing amp. I like the open back a lot, sealed cabs often sound kind of boxy to me. It seems to suit me better than my old MB II did and loves my archtop with floating CC, but my 'bucker semi-hollow Tele also sounds great through it as did my GB10 and even nylon string. And bonus- my wife said "another amp?" followed by "it's so cute!"

User Info Menu

New Baby Brute owner here as well. They really nailed the frequency response of this amp. Other amps I have always go up on a stand to eliminate boominess, but this little box is just about perfect for my ES-125. I am not too thrilled with how my (ES-335-ish) Seventy Seven Exrubato Jazz sounds through it though.

Anyone know exactly what the -gain+ switch is doing? I hear a slight change in volume, but I am not sure if it’s introducing dirt into the signal or not.

User Info Menu

The gain switch is pronounced when you are using the distortion knob. It audibly adds about 6db of gain.

User Info Menu

Everybody admires the Baby Brute but the one I had (mid-80s, I guess) was just a feedback machine with my ES-175 VOS. The MB II (two different black felt era ones, another with substitute speaker) sounded just boxy.

All those I sold because I compared them to my 15” black felt era MBIV. No boxiness. Open, wide, warm and perfect classic jazz sound! Only a bit bigness in the cabin but Fender Tilt Bag Legs help in small venues.

User Info Menu

The mid-80s Baby Brute I have is a bit more involved in operating than my late-70s and early-80s Mini Brute II, III, and IV amps...but not much.

The II, III, and IV amps have the simple Bass, Treble, Brite/Dark (switch) and Volume knobs. Oh...and the red distortion knobs--never use them.

The Mini Brute has coaxial knobs. Reverb is one knob. Volume/Distortion is another knob (coax). Treble/Mid is another knob (coax). Finally, Bass is a knob. Also, there is a distortion boost switch and the ubiquitous Brite/Dark switch.

I keep the distortion boost switch in the left (or off) position at all times. I also keep the coaxial Distortion knob fully left-rotated, or off, at all times. I use minimal reverb--which, I think, is where feedback may enter into the picture. The reverb on Polytone amps is kind of dorky anyway. Small cabinets/short springs equals boinky reverb, IMO. Brite I keep in the middle position. Next, I generally use Bass/Treble/Mid at almost middle/almost middle/middle of range values. Amp volume I run about at mid-range. With a ES-175, I put the guitar volume at about nine-o'clock and the tone just below 12 o'clock. (humbucker) This works well. No feedback with flat wound strings, but I don't sit particularly close to the amp.

With carved-body guitars I have a slight preference for my MBIV, currently.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Amen to the Babies. I just acquired the red Baby Taurus pictured upthread and it is a darned amazing amp. I like the open back a lot, sealed cabs often sound kind of boxy to me. It seems to suit me better than my old MB II did and loves my archtop with floating CC, but my 'bucker semi-hollow Tele also sounds great through it as did my GB10 and even nylon string. And bonus- my wife said "another amp?" followed by "it's so cute!"
    I was talking about the baby brute closed back (skin diamond). Super super rare beast!

User Info Menu

The mid-80s Baby Brute I have is a bit more involved in operating than my late-70s and early-80s Mini Brute II, III, and IV amps...but not much.

The II, III, and IV amps have the simple Bass, Treble, Brite/Dark (switch) and Volume knobs. Oh...and the red distortion knobs--never use them.

The Mini Brute has coaxial knobs. Reverb is one knob. Volume/Distortion is another knob (coax). Treble/Mid is another knob (coax). Finally, Bass is a knob. Also, there is a distortion boost switch and the ubiquitous Brite/Dark switch.

I keep the distortion boost switch in the left (or off) position at all times. I also keep the coaxial Distortion knob fully left-rotated, or off, at all times. I use minimal reverb--which, I think, is where feedback may enter into the picture. The reverb on Polytone amps is kind of dorky anyway. Small cabinets/short springs equals boinky reverb, IMO. Brite I keep in the middle position. Next, I generally use Bass/Treble/Mid at almost middle/almost middle/middle of range values. Amp volume I run about at mid-range. With a ES-175, I put the guitar volume at about nine-o'clock and the tone just below 12 o'clock. (humbucker) This works well. No feedback with flat wound strings, but I don't sit particularly close to the amp.

With carved-body guitars I have a slight preference for my MBIV, currently.

the MBIV felt era cover, with pyramidal grill foam it’s what I recently got. I bought it for 100$ and it had been forgotten by the previous owner for 20 years. So it’s almost new!!!
    It has broken reverb magnet (i’m trying to replace the broken transducer, but it’s hard to do)
    all original.
    The other one I have is the mbII skin diamond 12”. Pristine condition! reverb replaced

User Info Menu

who is the polytone mark owner now?
    (if exists).
    It would be nice to refound the company and make business again.
    There’s no amps good as polytone for jazz.

User Info Menu

The amp company went slowly defunct after founder Tommy Gumina died a half-dozen years ago.

To my knowledge, nobody has any plans to resurrect Polytone at this time. It might be possible, however for someone to acquire the name and bring out a new line of equipment.

GT

User Info Menu

The amp company went slowly defunct after founder Tommy Gumina died a half-dozen years ago.

To my knowledge, nobody has any plans to resurrect Polytone at this time. It might be possible, however for someone to acquire the name and bring out a new line of equipment.
    Henriksen? They seem to hold the "modern Polytone" title. They could either resurrect Polytones, or buy the name and bury it, to avoid future competition.

User Info Menu

I’ve measured 72 watt on polytone Mb IV 4ohm speaker. 144 peak watt. curious they say 160 watt or 180! lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Henriksen? They seem to hold the "modern Polytone" title. They could either resurrect Polytones, or buy the name and bury it, to avoid future competition.
    henriksen is far away to be the polytone modern replacement in my opinion.
    mambo, henriksen, mark jazz, aer compact etc are great amps, but too cold compared to the old polys.
    I can’t use the digi fake reverbs.
    The shitty polytone spring reverb, works for jazz! it’s shit but works better then digitals

User Info Menu

GT
    I discovered some news about polytone.
    It’s not dead, a company seems to have his trade. contact me in private if you want

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by billy21
    I discovered some news about polytone.
    It’s not dead, a company seems to have his trade. contact me in private if you want
    Do tell us all!

User Info Menu

The trademark is owned by a New York City Company (They have had it since 2012 and have not made any amps yet using this trademark). I doubt it has significant monetary value and I also doubt that it will be brought back to life, but all things are possible.

Polytone's have a spring reverb and do break up ever so slightly making it more "tube amp' like than other, cleaner solid state jazz amps.

I still have a Polytone in my amp collection along with a Henriksen, Acoustic Image and AER. I also have a vintage Fender tube amp. I do like the "Polytone sound". I wonder though if that is due to that fact that so many of my favorite jazz guitar recordings were made with Polytone amps.

An ES-175 with flats played through a Polytone makes a sound that works for me. YMMV

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    The trademark is owned by a New York City Company (They have had it since 2012 and have not made any amps yet using this trademark). I doubt it has significant monetary value and I also doubt that it will be brought back to life, but all things are possible.

Polytone's have a spring reverb and do break up ever so slightly making it more "tube amp' like than other, cleaner solid state jazz amps.

I still have a Polytone in my amp collection along with a Henriksen, Acoustic Image and AER. I also have a vintage Fender tube amp. I do like the "Polytone sound". I wonder though if that is due to that fact that so many of my favorite jazz guitar recordings were made with Polytone amps.

An ES-175 with flats played through a Polytone makes a sound that works for me. YMMV
    yes, I know who get the registered trademark.
    It has monetary value indeed

User Info Menu

yes, I know who get the registered trademark.
    How many syllables?

User Info Menu

The amp billy21 was discussing--the diamond pattern covered, one-cubic foot volume cabinet, Baby Brute from the early 80s is an outstanding amplifier. Uncomplicated, and terrific sounding for archtop guitars. Love that 8" CTS speaker in a closed-back design.
    What is it about Polytone amps?-baby-brute-back-jpgWhat is it about Polytone amps?-baby-brute-panel-jpgWhat is it about Polytone amps?-baby-brute-front-jpg

User Info Menu

The amp billy21 was discussing--the diamond pattern covered, one-cubic foot volume cabinet, Baby Brute from the early 80s is an outstanding amplifier. Uncomplicated, and terrific sounding for archtop guitars. Love that 8" CTS speaker in a closed-back design.
    What is it about Polytone amps?-baby-brute-back-jpgWhat is it about Polytone amps?-baby-brute-panel-jpgWhat is it about Polytone amps?-baby-brute-front-jpg
    amen Greentone!
    I can pay 800/1000$ for one of them.
    Here in europe, it doesn’t exist.
    In Usa, Australia is very very rare.
    Lots of them had been shipped in Japan during the 80’s. (custom orders? who know..)

User Info Menu

amen Greentone!
    I can pay 800/1000$ for one of them.
    Here in europe, it doesn’t exist.
    In Usa, Australia is very very rare.
    Lots of them had been shipped in Japan during the 80’s. (custom orders? who know..)
    Actually, they do turn up once in a while here in Europe. Within the last year and a half I think I've seen four for sale, one of which I snatched up. (See below. It is in pristine condition, except that the speaker is not the original one, but an Eminence Alpha 8. Still sounds unmistakably like a Poly!) You just need to be patient...

What is it about Polytone amps?-img_0278-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nils
    Actually, they do turn up once in a while here in Europe. Within the last year and a half I think I've seen four for sale, one of which I snatched up. (See below. It is in pristine condition, except that the speaker is not the original one, but an Eminence Alpha 8. Still sounds unmistakably like a Poly!) You just need to be patient...

nice, but I prefer the one with black Chicago Telephone Speaker stamped on the magnet!
    Just a couriosity, do you will sell it someday?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nils

the reverb works?
    If you ever looked inside, is it equipped with 4000mf caps?
    jesus, that bomb is super compressed! i’m courious about caps value

User Info Menu

The funny think about this brand, I’ve read too many people writing bad things about their reliability and customer service reputation. That’s true, comparing with commercial amps. Polytone were homemade non commercial machines. The concept is unique.
    Basically a simple HIFI amp, the secret are the wood cabin, speaker and preamp.
    All the components are solid but prone to crossover and chips overheat.
    Opening and repair one is pretty easy, just be careful to not touch and breath the sticky fiberglass insulation... and of course. Don’t expect a fender reverb and marshall distortion.
    They smells bad, fascinating bad!

User Info Menu

There's 2 types of Polytones, those that never worked and those that'll work forever.

So if you find one that works, just enjoy it. I've been enjoying mine for over a decade...