Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 42 of 42

User Info Menu

Great!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That Looks like a wonderful Guitar.
    sorry for the waiting time-actually, he is Building my tonemaster at the Moment so you have to wait

User Info Menu

Hey, fabiansey, you are clearly a man of wisdom and taste! Do share with us your new soul mate when it arrives.

Jazzbow - now, that was funny! I'll be singing myself to sleep with it.

339inJune - what am I going to do, indeed? Work, dream, work, dream, work - what else is there?

User Info Menu

Rob, Glad you made a decision. Myself, I think the scale length is right at 25.5. The 25.5 just has a bit more snap or clarity. I would definitely go with the 45MM. One can easily flat pick on that nut width but the additional width really in my opinion makes a difference on finger-style. The other thing to discuss with him is the string spacing at the bridge. I've seen some guitars where the 1.75 nut width was negated or diminished by a narrow spacing at the saddle or bridge. This is most often on non custom instruments where the builder or assembler if you will is trying to use a aftermarket bridge.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your input, Rob. I'm pretty much decided on 25.5" and 45mm. I don't think we need worry about after-market bridges in this case, and I will certainly discuss it with him. As it happens, I'm more interested in plectrum playing on this guitar than fingerstyle - I'll keep my fingertips primed for gut strings on my classical. As such, I don't want the spacing too wide at the bridge, but I'll certainly be discussing it with Frans. Cheers, Rob.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    Rob, Glad you made a decision. Myself, I think the scale length is right at 25.5. The 25.5 just has a bit more snap or clarity. I would definitely go with the 45MM. One can easily flat pick on that nut width but the additional width really in my opinion makes a difference on finger-style. The other thing to discuss with him is the string spacing at the bridge. I've seen some guitars where the 1.75 nut width was negated or diminished by a narrow spacing at the saddle or bridge. This is most often on non custom instruments where the builder or assembler if you will is trying to use a aftermarket bridge.
    I must agree with you Rob taft,I have a piece right now that is 1 3/4" nut yet feels tight spaced. I think it's do to tight saddle spacing.
    RoB Mackillop, It's good that Franz is aware of your style else I would worry about 25" tension not being enough to drive an 18" top. Franz also makes a depth that you may want to consider. He makes the depth at the neck 2 7/8"s and widens to 3 or 3 1/4"s at the base. That may be a comfort option you might think about. Congratulations on the order. He make a fine guitar.

User Info Menu

May I suggest adding a cutaway for 2 reasons. One: In case you want to play some fancy licks up there to impress someone
    Second: Just in case you decide to sell in the future, you'll increase the amount of buyers interested.

Frans Elferink builds great guitars at a very reasonable price. Extremely happy with my Tonemaster!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the last two posts. Plenty of time ahead to finalise details. But I am decided on no cutaway.

User Info Menu

Lovely guitar Rob, can't wait to see/hear you play it. Nice one.

User Info Menu

Congratulations, Rob! Looks like a lovely guitar and will be in the hands of a great player.

Can you reveal a bit about your decision of which luthier to approach? Much as I would love to get a spec guitar created for myself, I don't see that happening anytime in the near future. But I do listen to these exotic creatures created by various skilled luthiers mainly on YouTube and I've certainly been tempted by Elferink guitars. How did you decide which luthier to choose?

User Info Menu

I came to him through the playing of Jesse van Ruller - one of the best jazz players on the scene today. Then I visited his website, and had a severe case of GAS. But that was a few years ago, and I wasn't in a position to spend the money required. Over the last few months I think I finally found my voice on the archtop guitar, happy to explore written compositions for the instrument, and quality arrangements. I improvise every day, but prefer listening to worked out compositions. And I also came to the acceptance that I am much more an acoustic player than an electric one. The dynamics and tonal nuance of an acoustic instrument really draws me. So, I started formulating the notion of a purely acoustic archtop, without even a floating pickup, with X bracing for a more subtle modern style of playing. So I started looking around for a luthier in Europe - I did not want to add 20% taxes to a US price. I also think the archtop has had almost as long a history in Europe as in the States, and there are many fine luthiers here. So, I wrote to three of the best, explaining what I wanted, and sharing my recent videos with them. They all responded positively, but Frans Elferink just struck me as someone who intuitively knew what I was looking for. We've cut back a little on the bling, to spend more time getting the soundboard just right. I'm very pleased with my choice, and I'm sure Frans will create something I'll be very happy with. Well, here's hoping!

User Info Menu

There's is something so majestic about a non-cutaway. I think its the symmetry.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the quick response, Rob! Sounds good to me, as do the Elferink archtops I have heard by video if not in person yet. I did not know that there is a 20% surcharge tax on US made goods which would certainly discourage me in your shoes. There are a plethora of fine luthiers closer to home in Europe in any case.

I visited your (new?) web site or blog a few days ago - very, very nice! Your videos and playing are very elegant. Great job. I didn't comment on anything due to my haste, but I will certainly return.
    Last edited by Veritas; 04-13-2017 at 10:03 AM.

User Info Menu

If you mean ArchtopGuitar.net – …jazz…classical…folk…plectrum…fingerstyle… then, yes, it is new. Early days yet. Cheers.

User Info Menu

Awesome .....

I have an 18 inch acoustic non cutaway Campellone that is very nice .... hope yours is at least as good

I try to play using a "classical position" with the guitar in my left leg or using a strap, even when sitting .... 18 inch is easy to play that way ... I'm ready to go for a 19 inch if I ever have the cash for one

My guess is that you'll do fine with a big guitar ... I need to dig up your videos and listen to your playing at some point

User Info Menu

I'm trying to establish enough order to enjoy my 18" guitar's acoustic bark.

User Info Menu

Eight months, and counting...