The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 81

User Info Menu

the mascis jazzmaster actually has p90 style inspired/designed pickups...slug polepieces and a bar magnet..."normal" fender jm pups have magnet polepieces.ala strats and teles...

mascis also has a tuneamatic bridge..and the trem has been moved closer to the bridge...for a sharper angle over the saddles to prevent string skipping

cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    the mascis jazzmaster actually has p90 style inspired/designed pickups...slug polepieces and a bar magnet..."normal" fender jm pups have magnet polepieces.ala strats and teles...

mascis also has a tuneamatic bridge..and the trem has been moved closer to the bridge...for a sharper angle over the saddles to prevent string skipping

cheers
    Not forgetting the 43mm nut width, chunky neck and delicious alloy scratchplate.

Jazzbows highly recommended twanger.

User Info Menu

i recently treated my self to a MIM Jazzmaster for my 40th! hooray for me. i have made some modifications, Mastery hardware, gotoh locking tuners, tortoise pickguard, and i am extremely happy with it. i think it is my most "versatile" guitar. from warm and wooly to bright and agressive. i love the fat yet clear pickups. it's a real winner for me.

check her out:
    Does anybody use a Fender Jazzmaster for jazz?-0205171217a-jpg

User Info Menu

I have the J Mascis Squier Jazzmaster and it plays well and sounds good for jazz through a Fender Twin. I bought it because it is extremely comfortable to play (for me) while sitting down. The body width and shape means the neck sits at the right height for playing and not too low like most guitars. It is very easy on the back and hands.

User Info Menu

as you'd technically have to be a master of jazz to do so, i think very few people qualify. that may have something to do with it.

personally, i love the offset aesthetic. long fan of the telemaster style and i think the new ibanez talman prestige is an interesting take on it, as well. but a jazzmaster, as generally constituted, isn't for me, i don't think. maybe if they simplified the wiring and swapped in filters or minis... lots of high end builders/partscaster assemblers do that these days. the basic format seems quite popular, just not here.

as for real jazzmasters, i think the troy van leeuwen jazzmaster one is the best looking.

User Info Menu

Folks,

with a set of 12-50 flatwound strings, a Jazzmaster with original floating bridge is great. Wonderful pickups and neat controls. Just don't string one with sewing thread, I.e., slinky string

User Info Menu

I just picked up a squire jazzmaster with the intention of having it around as a project guitar and when I play some bossa nova. It's actually a fun guitar and for the price, it can't be beat. Under $300 brand new. It's black on black and it's a great little player. I have flatwounds on it and will probably upgrade the bridge at some point. I'm actually waiting for a new neck to be finished with the "hockey puck" style headstock typically found on the Fender Maverick. I'm going to be taking out the bridge pickup and leaving the neck in place. Here's a quick photoshopped pic of the single neck pickup. This is actually my first Fender and I'm just being introduced to the endless possibilities of a bolt neck guitar. I also have a P-90 that I am going to experiment with as well. I'll post a pic when I eventually bolt everything together. For jazz, fun stuff.

Does anybody use a Fender Jazzmaster for jazz?-jazzmaster-single-pickup-jpgDoes anybody use a Fender Jazzmaster for jazz?-img_0376-jpg

User Info Menu

I used that type of body for my JM-12. If I can get the pics to work here it is. Other than JM speak, the Peerless Monarch was traded for a Jazz City, and the Hagstrom is in its case and a Godin Jazz took its place. I have taken the pickguard off the Godin. The AAA flame is too nice hide to hide by plastic. I am a finger player only, so my guitars tend to retain their mint condition fairly well.
    Attached Images Attached Images Does anybody use a Fender Jazzmaster for jazz?-3-amigos-jpg Does anybody use a Fender Jazzmaster for jazz?-dsc05030wm-jpg 

User Info Menu

Jazz on a Jazzmaster? You bet!

User Info Menu

the hockey 'stick" (not puck!! thats round! hah) headstock was originally designed for the fender electric XII....leftover parts were the reason for the maverick...

Does anybody use a Fender Jazzmaster for jazz?-peteinadaze-jpg Does anybody use a Fender Jazzmaster for jazz?-5084718788_34e185f27a_z-jpgDoes anybody use a Fender Jazzmaster for jazz?-fenderxii-jpg

nice playing mr.b...that's a replacement neck.. or non fender anyways..???

cheers

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=neatomic;785503]the hockey 'stick" (not puck!! thats round! hah) headstock was originally designed for the fender electric XII....leftover parts were the reason for the maverick...

Doh!... what was I thinking! Your right, Fender even tried to disguise the Maverick by cutting and reshaping the body so it would be slightly different from the jazzmaster body. On some guitars you can see where they cut the headstock down to make it a six string guitar. The original Fender XII was a cool guitar. As pictured, Townsend used one during the recording of Tommy and I've heard that Page used one on the recording of Stairway to Heaven. This was a good alternative to the 12 string Rickenbacker at the time which was notorious for going out of tune.

Does anybody use a Fender Jazzmaster for jazz?-img_0546-jpg
    Last edited by Scotto; 07-04-2017 at 07:30 PM.

User Info Menu

pagey also had a ric 12 at that time...he was always partial to 12's..had a vox 12 early on as well...

its thought that he used the fender XII on becks bolero...that would been 1966..pre zep

when asked what 12 he played on zep track -tangerine-, he wasn't sure if it was fender or ric 12

and of course legend is that he used tele on stairway to heaven solo

he was also great with a stringbender tele!!

not your average "hard rock" guitars!! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

I just got my Jazzmaster back from the shop where it received a badly-needed refret. I’ve been playing a lot of jazz on it now, especially on the neck preset position. It has a much fuller sound if I roll off some volume at the guitar and turn the amp up a bit.

User Info Menu

Just played my friends J Mascis JM and was surprised at how good it was. Neck was very nice and body sat comfortably and sturdily. It was set up well with 11 or 12 rounds. The string spacing was nice, right hand could relax and just pick, not like trying to stand still on a swaying boat (as I sometimes feel with my 335).

User Info Menu

I suppose playing Jazz on a Jazzmaster was a part of Fender's marketing plan when they came up with it.

Some years ago I traded a Martin for a nice Custom Shop 62 Reissue, my first Jazzmaster. I could see how it could go that route. I wound up selling it trying to be practical. I wasn't crazy about the neck on the one I wound up with but I was getting some nice tones out of it. It wouldn't be my first pick for jazz but it would be an option. Cool guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by arielcee
    Just played my friends J Mascis JM and was surprised at how good it was. Neck was very nice and body sat comfortably and sturdily. It was set up well with 11 or 12 rounds. The string spacing was nice, right hand could relax and just pick, not like trying to stand still on a swaying boat (as I sometimes feel with my 335).
    Ah yes, the Squiffy Jim Jam, stupidly under priced when first issued and I jumped in. It was hard to demo one as they were literally flying out of the shops! The one I got was the 6th the shop got in a row as they were the hot deal.

The neck dimensions are spot on for my canoe paddle hands and the overall length doesn't look out of place on my lurch like body.
    So along with my ill fitting red wig and car horn nose I feel I can fit in with all you jazz cats.

I did do a set up thread here but that's gone now. As I recall the frets were near perfect from Chinese QC (the music shops here don't do that).

At the moment I have nickel roundwound 12's and a roller bridge. The bridge lockdown saddle radii was the usual 12" and not the typical Funday 9.5". So I cut up a soda drink can and made shims to bump up D & G (2 per saddle) + A & B (1 per saddle). Not quite 9.5" but better than flat string radii over arched frets and stoopid string rattle and bummed.....

The roller bridge works well at keeping all (reasonably) in tune, the trem is set for pitch down and return back to tune by adjusting the trem spring. The strings do stick but pressing behind the nut and bridge everything flits back 'in' with audible clicks.

I bought mine for around £400 + case. I wrangled a deal. I think they are deffo the best neck on the whole Squier range.

If I were in the market I would search out for a second hand one for cheap kicks.

User Info Menu

I tried a Fender Mustang with P-90 pickups for two days ago and it was a positive surprise for me. I’m generally not a fan of Fender guitars (Telecasters are not included in this case), but the Mustang was a really nice experience.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bbmaj7#5#9
    I tried a Fender Mustang with P-90 pickups for two days ago and it was a positive surprise for me. I’m generally not a fan of Fender guitars (Telecasters are not included in this case), but the Mustang was a really nice experience.
    just be aware the mustang has a short scale 24" neck....unlike strats, teles, jms etc that have 25.5...so the neck is more in gibson range..also the p90's are not true vintage fender pups

so i can see why a non fender fan might like it..it's not your typical fender!!! hah

ps- the fender jaguar is also a shorter scale

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    just be aware the mustang has a short scale 24" neck....unlike strats, teles, jms etc that have 25.5...so the neck is more in gibson range..also the p90's are not true vintage fender pups

so i can see why a non fender fan might like it..it's not your typical fender!!! hah

ps- the fender jaguar is also a shorter scale

cheers
    Definitely and I want the Telecasters with humbuckers too!

User Info Menu

I bought a Squier Affinity JM on a whim about a year ago and I haven't touched another guitar since. It caught my eye because it didn't have a whammy bar, which is just excess baggage for me. Street price, new, was $200. As far as I can tell, the only thing Fender makes that's cheaper is the Hello Kitty, which I'm thinking about.

I'm sure there are a lot of reasons to buy the upscale "official" version, but I've played a few and I don't see (or hear) them. It's a wonderful guitar.

User Info Menu

Speaking of jazzers playing jazzmasters...

Mr. Nels Cline

User Info Menu

I came really close to buying one recently. I tried a few, from the Squier up to the Original 60's one- and a "real" original. The vintage one, through a Twin Reverb, was like buttah.. but they go for over 4K.
    The Original 60's was the one, and I may buy one yet, but I bought a nice archtop instead.

User Info Menu

My brother has over a dozen great guitars but this is the one he plays most often. I would describe the guitar as a jazzmaster, stratocaster, partscaster hybrid.

Does anybody use a Fender Jazzmaster for jazz?-jazzcaster-jpg

User Info Menu

what jazzmaster do you have?..the og ones have the 2 separate circuits just for the neck pup...can get lots of tonal variations...

might also try raising the pup a tad, to bring out some more mids...also roll back those guitar knobs and rollers..vol & tone

jazzmaster pups are leo's version of a p90...except with real magnet polepieces instead of slugs and a bar magnet beneath the bobbin...wide bobbin designs like that usually have plenty mids...one of my fave pups and guitars...jazzmaster

cheers

User Info Menu

cheers