Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 51 to 65 of 65

User Info Menu

It's a limited edition, so 65ri pups but no rhythm circuit. Just a 3 ways switch, volume and tone.

But this isn't really about making my jazzmaster right. I like it fine and unlike back in the day when I struggled with that ES-390, I have a great archtop and a tele that both can step in.

It's was just the deja vu of playing a guitar with that type of sound again that made me post. It's such a classic iconic sound, but not really "jazz" to me.

Got me wondering how you guys feel about it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

cheers

User Info Menu

Haha .. to my ears he is a great player, but that's absolutely awful tone wise .. It's like the the mother of the blanket over the amp jokes...

User Info Menu

I found our own Mr. Beaumont on a Jazzmaster .. It's it the ball park of what I'm hearing too tho sounds like he's rolled the tone down a bit

Some nice playing again .. and not the blanket over the amp sound like before .. definately a usable sound, but just not lush ..

Compared to Jeff on a tele which is to me more lush for a lack of a better term of a more mid heavy sound (sounds like the tone is rolled a bit more back here, which takes a bit clarity out of it compared to the jazzmaster .. tho I'm just guessing )

Don't know if non-guitar players would notice .. but wtf .. this is a guitar forum. It might purely be a question of my personal taste tbh, but hey

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Here’s my Jazzmaster with single Fralin P90 in the neck position. Pots and caps have been changed to give it a warmer sound along with brass saddles and Tomastik flatwounds. Fun guitar!

Does anybody use a Fender Jazzmaster for jazz?-281f7808-841d-4ffd-9ba8-b259c497576e-jpgDoes anybody use a Fender Jazzmaster for jazz?-fac02c83-d1a4-43e7-b35c-dd2173fbb73c-jpg

User Info Menu

All we see here are P90s ... Anyone like proper jazzmasters pups?

User Info Menu

So since I commented in this thread a while ago I changed my lineup of JM's. Both are partscasters, or in this case partsmasters. The bodies are from Warmoth. The necks are from Best Guitar Parts. The 6 string has Kinman pups and is wired with a conventional rhythm circuit and a 6 position Rothstein varitone with a concentric volume and tone pot in the 3-way switch circuit. It also has a Mastery tremolo and a Staytrem bridge that I got right before the maker stopped importing to the USA. It has a roasted ash body and a roasted maple neck with an ebony fretboard. The 12 string has Rose pups and the same varitone circuitry as the 6 string. It has a chambered ash body and a roasted maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. I have a passion hobby for partscasters and have been at it for over 30 years now. A lot more choices for parts these days than when I begun. That is kind of a curse because it leads me to change things although there aren't any reasons to change anything about these two, or my strat and tele partscasters. Really happy with them. I am working on two more teles at the moment - one will be for slide work and the other will be fretless. Yeah, I can't control my obsession.

Ahh! Damned by the sideway picture syndrome. Anyway, you get the picture(s.) Fixed.
    Attached Images Attached Images Does anybody use a Fender Jazzmaster for jazz?-img_2331-jpg 
    Last edited by lammie200; 09-01-2020 at 01:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Yes. Jazzmaster pickups are excellent...perhaps the best pickup ever from Fender other than the Telecaster bridge pickup as originally produced.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    All we see here are P90s ... Anyone like proper jazzmasters pups?
    i love jazzmaster pups...and the whole original jm tone circuit...can't be beat for jazz

leo designed the jm pickup with the p-90 in mind...same wide, shallow bobbin...but leo used real magnet polepieces (like he did on fender pups) instead of the p90s screw polepieces with bar magnets beneath the bobbin

jm pup has a bit more clarity and even tonal response...less in your face upper mids

my fave fender pup ever...tho i agree with gt ^, original tele bridge pup was clever...the even polepieces gave it an almost pedal steel vibe

all these jm vibed guitars are super cool, but nothing beats a true vintage style jazzmaster

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    i love jazzmaster pups...and the whole original jm tone circuit...can't be beat for jazz

leo designed the jm pickup with the p-90 in mind...same wide, shallow bobbin...but leo used real magnet polepieces (like he did on fender pups) instead of the p90s screw polepieces with bar magnets beneath the bobbin

jm pup has a bit more clarity and even tonal response...less in your face upper mids

my fave fender pup ever...tho i agree with gt ^, original tele bridge pup was clever...the even polepieces gave it an almost pedal steel vibe

all these jm vibed guitars are super cool, but nothing beats a true vintage style jazzmaster

cheers
    Jazzmaster pickups are really unique and interesting sounding. It does have some tonal response in common with P90s, but just shifted brighter and with greater articulation. Some of that is colored by the typical 1M pots used too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JGinNJ
    I came really close to buying one recently. I tried a few, from the Squier up to the Original 60's one- and a "real" original. The vintage one, through a Twin Reverb, was like buttah.. but they go for over 4K.
    The Original 60's was the one, and I may buy one yet, but I bought a nice archtop instead.

Well, it took a year, but I just brought home a Classic Player JM, MIM circa 2010. It was competitively priced at my local GC, and has a nicer neck than the new Vintera. It sounded great through the Tonemaster Twin Reverb they had, and I'm trying to get a similar sound through my amps. Part of the reason I bought it is for quiet practice at night, and through a Roland miniCube on blackface setting, with headphones, I get that sound.
    I realized, in getting familiar with it, and doing a little comparison to my archtops, that what's cool about it as a jazz guitar is not that sounds like an archtop, but that it has a unique, lush, full, clear sound. Makes me want to play Johnny Smith style chord melody (which is kind of my thing anyway!)

User Info Menu

I just got a Squier Classic Vibe Jazzmaster which I intent to use to play... jazz! I'll be posting a NGD and a clip or two real soon now.
    Does anybody use a Fender Jazzmaster for jazz?-img_6171-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I just got a Squier Classic Vibe Jazzmaster which I intent to use to play... jazz! I'll be posting a NGD and a clip or two real soon now.
    Does anybody use a Fender Jazzmaster for jazz?-img_6171-jpg
    Looking g forward!

User Info Menu

I purchased a Classic Vibe Tele with a Jazzmaster neck and neck pickup a few years ago and put TI Flat 12s on it, and I really like the sound compared to a straight-up Tele (which I also really like). If I didn't like archtops so much, I'd be tempted to buy a Jazzmaster. But I just got a beautiful '98 Ibanez AAF-207 that I've been looking for for a long time, and I'm working with a local luthier on the build of a custom 7 string acoustic flat top. This covid thing has cost me quite a bit of money.