The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 84 of 84

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    I've just come home from playing a session with a 6-piece band (3 horns+rhythm) , using my Bud and my Super-400. That guitar puts out a massive signal and I had NO problem hearing myself on stage and I got MANY positive remarks from listeners re that fat and warm sound they heard. People can't believe it when they see that puny amp .....
    Was the Bud mic'd?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Was the Bud mic'd?
    Nope.

User Info Menu

Slightly larger with a 12" speaker, the new Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb is a solid state copy of their tube amp. Weighs 22 pounds. Should be lots of reviews online soon. Looking forward to trying one in addition to the Fender Twin Tone Master at 33 pounds.
    Last edited by Spook410; 08-20-2019 at 03:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    For tilting the Little Jazz, I just put something under the front edge. I often use the receiver of my G10 wireless rig, but anything will do. It does sound much better tilted. It's a little finicky getting the best sound, and I find that elevating it makes it a little too bright, and flat is a little too bassy. A little tilt is my preference. The distance from a wall or other big solid object also makes a difference to me. But overall, it's a great amp.
    I've tried the LJ tilted and flat. It does make a noticeable difference. I prefer it flat.

It's a good point about not being too close to a wall. That makes a big difference. There's a port in the back of this amp and having that port too close to a wall really changes the sound. Each time I've been in that situation, I didn't like the result, so I keep it away from a wall.

User Info Menu

I sometime like it flat, depending on the room - floor surface, walls, etc. I mostly prefer it tilted just a little. It's completely subjective, and there is certainly no one correct way to do it. With the rear port, there are lots of things affecting the sound, including distance from a wall, height, tilt, etc. All I know is trial and error, looking for the best sound to my ears. I find I don't like it as much when it's elevated on a chair or whatever. But that's just me.

User Info Menu

I enjoy these discussionw, seeing what works for others. It's all about mission. Where and I going ... playing ... how much can I carry ... will it work with (fill in guitar and gear). And personal taste.

My needs are not the same as Jim's (or others). For me, it's mostly practice at home. Lightweight strongly preferred. Boxy not good. Has to work with P90s and low wound HBs equally well. Can't have 8" or smaller speakers ... despite great strides in how these are used, I still don't care for the sound and presence.

The heavier solution is an old Polytone MBII. 20-30 pounds. Amazing versatile. Got lucky with this one. Played/owned others which came close, but not quite, to the depth and beauty of the sound. Quilter showed promise. I've owned three or four. An aviator head, 101 mini with reverb. Plugged into several mini combos, an aviator combo. All rather nice, but the heads had a sort of nasal or hollow sound I couldn't dial out. Lots of controls, modes, (some pretty confusing.) Nothing worked quite the way I needed. Disappointed.

Then the OD200. A different thing, so one more try. This time, it's all good. Intuitive, expressive and well voiced controls, especially how the channel volume and master interact. Two channels, though I only use clean. In that one channel, you can vary the clean subtly, from fat, full and flat to edge drive. Nothing nasal. A natural sound.

I'm reacting not just to the mini head itself. I paired it with the only 1x12 here, the stock, ported cab from Pure 64 Mean Street classic amp, with one of his '16 ohm custom speakers. Not even sure if 16 ohms is safe. Quilter assured me it is, told me I had triggered some little circuit tweak for 16 ohms in the cab, that I'd love it. Love it I do. This modest little setup sounds huge. Haven't weighed it. The ported cab isn't even 20 pounds. Low, cants up by design. The OD200 is 2 or 3 pounds I think. Velcro to the top of the cab and go. If there is a smaller, equally good sounding alternative, I've not heard it. But of course will keep trying.

The bonus here is flexibility. This setup is perfect for low to medium volume jazz work. Very low into the power curve doing that. Start upping the master, as you dial in more channel volume, things change. The amp has this perfect edge of breakup sound, soaring, fat. Reacts very well with little nudges from pedals. Gets into raw blues tones just as easily, even heavier drive, still all in the clean channel, via pedals. And, thanks in no small part to that cool cab, handles A -A baritone with authority and clarity.

One lesson learned. The cab is all important. Impossible to judge a small head w/o also finding a good little cab that plays well with it. How many heads have I dismissed prematurely because I just assumed any cab was OK? More than a few I bet.

The biggest trick in gear sampling is to know when you've found the right one, then actually to keep it. This setup stays.

User Info Menu

Cunamara, have you played through either the Henriksen Bud, or the Aviator 8?
    What was your experience with each?
    Sorry to stay on topic ..?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffg
    Cunamara, have you played through either the Henriksen Bud, or the Aviator 8?
    What was your experience with each?
    Sorry to stay on topic ..?

I live in UK , and Johnny Mambo sent down from Manchester an 8 and a 10 for me to try. I kept the 10 ,no contest. it allows you to exploit the massive headroom this powerful amp has.