The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 84

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    I'd stick with the Bud and try a pedal in front of it for "flavor". The inexpensive Mojomojo does work well for this.
    That's the way I'm leaning at the moment although with some sort of pre-amp rather than a boot. I'm considering a Joyo American or a Mooer Regal Tone.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'd love to hear whatever you end up with. The bb Preamp was a decent solution but I was going to keep looking around and then found the Mustang GT. I actually tried that line out into the Bud with an xlr and it sounds great but I'm not about to start bringing two amps to gigs since part of the appeal of the Bud is slinging it over my shoulder. Whatever I put in front of the Bud has to fit in the amp case's bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

I had a chance to A/B the Aviator 8 vs the Bud head to head for a few days this week. I liked the sounds I was able to get from the Aviator and it would almost certainly been a viable option but I preferred the Bud by a substantial margin. One thing I've also learned about the Bud: counter to the way most people seem to use it, it works best for me with the input gain quite low. That seems to thin out the tone a bit and makes the rig feels bit more touch sensitive to me. I realize this may seem counter intuitive but i suspect it has to do with how lightly I play.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 07-07-2017 at 12:26 PM.

User Info Menu

So.....Quilter Aviator 8?
    Or Henriksen Bud?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffg
    Or Henriksen Bud?
    It's difficult to tell from what you wrote whether you're asking what JSoloway ended up with or which one you should buy.

If you're asking for yourself, It's also difficult to tell from your rather sparse statement how to make a judgement. What kind of music do you play? Are both affordable? Is this for home use only, or do you gig? Why ask only about the Quilter Aviator 8 and not the 2x10 or 1x12?

Given that I can't address your question since I don't know what it is, all I can tell you is I had both the Quilter line and the Henriksen line available to me at a local music store. Since I'm now officially a Guitar Geezer and since my interests are in clean jazz playing and acoustic, I ended up buying the Bud. If I were more of a rocker or country player I'd have gotten the Quilter, probably the 1x12.

User Info Menu

DV Mark Little Jazz ???

15 lbs, $350

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffg
    Or Henriksen Bud?
    I tried both.

I bought an Aviator 8 and like every Quilter I've tried in the past I was unable to get a tone I could really bond with and shipped it back in a couple days. There's just something in the mids especially in all of them that I just couldn't get rid of.

I also bought a Bud and really liked it but we got to Mexico last winter and it died almost immediately.

I ended up buying a DV Mark Jazz 50 head along with a used Buscarino Chameleon cab and love it. The head just works for me in every way. I'm back in Mexico now and I have a DV Mark Little Jazz on order and hopefully it will be arriving soon. Based on my experience with the Jazz 50 head I have a hunch that I'm really going to ike it.

User Info Menu

I have both for some time now. I like the Bud a little bettet for acoustic However the avaitor does everything well

User Info Menu

I've been thinking about the Bud, but I won't buy an amp that expensive without a return privilege. But this isn't a GC item, is it?

Anyone know how to buy with a return privilege?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    ... Anyone know how to buy with a return privilege?
    Talk to the various vendors. I believe SoundPure and Guitars'n'Jazz both sell them, and those stores have return policies IIRC. Henriksen might also have a return policy. Check with the vendors to be sure. I bought mine in person from The Foxes in Arlington or Falls Church, Virginia.

I've had my Bud awhile now, and though I don't use an amp particularly heavily, it's been working very well for me.

User Info Menu

I have a little jazz and an AI Corus. They are both great and versatile of you need to plug an acoustic guitar in to them they still sound good. Wish the Little Jazz had a tiltback option and the controls are a little tough to see especially on a dimly lit stage but the sound of it leaves little to complain about. The AI sounds surprisingly good with electric guitar as well and has loads of power and a second channel... both great pieces of gear.

User Info Menu

For tilting the Little Jazz, I just put something under the front edge. I often use the receiver of my G10 wireless rig, but anything will do. It does sound much better tilted. It's a little finicky getting the best sound, and I find that elevating it makes it a little too bright, and flat is a little too bassy. A little tilt is my preference. The distance from a wall or other big solid object also makes a difference to me. But overall, it's a great amp.

User Info Menu

A lot has happened in the amps and cabs world since this thread started. Henriksen Blu for starters. However, more and more jazz pros on both sides of the pond are discovering my TOOB line of ultra-light cabs. Just 9 lbs for the 12", 100W 12J jazz model. Pair that with any of the modern micro-amps and you move a totally different amount of air than with a 8" speaker. Jazz guitarist Greg Ruggiero from Brooklyn, N.Y., does 6-8 gigs a week on either a 12J or the telescopic 10T, which fits in a cabin bag. He mostly uses a Wangs 5W tube amp, a proof of TOOB's efficiency. My favorite amp remains the DV Mark Micro 50 (4 lbs), which is perfectly voiced for jazz. The Quilter 101R (2 lbs) is a bit too bright to my taste, while the VOX MV 50 Clean (1.3 lbs) works just fine. However, if a separate reverb pedal is ok for you, you might just as well grab Jim Soloway's past favorite, the Gallien-Krueger MB200 (2 lbs). This is not the place advertise our bass model, the 12B (10 lbs, 300W), but that's becoming even more of a sensation, especially in Germany.

For details and contact: TOOB. For more photos, videos and news flow: Facebook: toobspeakercabinet. We are also on YouTube and Instagram.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 09-24-2018 at 04:04 PM.

User Info Menu

I have the bud and really dig it, haven't used my polytone since i got this thing..went to a jam last night and upright bass player forgot his amp? lol i know..ok....plug into my Bud..into the second channel. wow worked great, had the gain all the way down, volume at like 9:00 clock, presence and verb off obviously..plenty of head room no break up..it was quartet with drums. I was playing my Victor Baker..good to know this thing can handle it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I've been thinking about the Bud, but I won't buy an amp that expensive without a return privilege. But this isn't a GC item, is it?

Anyone know how to buy with a return privilege?
    Djangobooks sells the Henriksen Bud. In the past, they offered a 45 day (yes, really) return policy on amps. Edit - just confirmed that they still offer this:

Store Policies - DjangoBooks.com

That’s tough to beat!

User Info Menu

Guitarist and gizmo freak "M" from Ausburg, Germany, recently purchased a TOOB 10T and paired it with a BluGuitar Amp1. The whole backline weighs 12 lbs and fits in a 10"-08" Tama Tom bag. Our own Stairville SB-125 gig bag from Thomann is large enough for even the TOOB 12B plus amp, cables and sheet music.
    Attached Images Attached Images Henriksen Bud vs Quilter Aviator 8 vs Other Small Guitar Amps-toob-gigbag-1-jpg Henriksen Bud vs Quilter Aviator 8 vs Other Small Guitar Amps-toob-hansen-rig-jpg 

User Info Menu

Hi, one more thumbs up for the BLu BUD, the one-channel BUD that just came out.
    It's only 12 lbs or so and sounds a bit warmer than the BUD. Great little amp.
    It has the new class D power amp.

Sorry to hear your BUD broke down Jim.

Cheers,
    Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeR
    Hi, one more thumbs up for the BLu BUD, the one-channel BUD that just came out.
    It's only 12 lbs or so and sounds a bit warmer than the BUD. Great little amp.
    It has the new class D power amp.

Sorry to hear your BUD broke down Jim.

Cheers,
    Mike
    is there a fan in the Blu Bud ?
    I expect not , class D amps usually
    run pretty cool

(I expect Henn will go for the Class D amp
    across their whole range at some point )

User Info Menu

No fan, seems to run well.
    And no gain control, just volume.
    The tone and clarity is wonderful!
    And yes, the Class D is soon to be coming to the 10" combo-November 1st-
    and will make that amp a mere 23 lbs.

Mike

User Info Menu

Posted this in another thread but Im glad i have that second channel on my Bud. Went to a jam at a guys house, upright bass player forgot his amp !? how? anyway it happens. Well, plug into my 2nd channel on the bud. Turned the verb and presence off obviously, gain on 0. Sounded great!!. it was a quartet too with Drums and sax. No break up, plenty of headroom, both of us through the bud, ive seen two Benedetto's play through the Bud before but not upright. was good to know for duo gigs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeR
    No fan, seems to run well.
    And no gain control, just volume.
    The tone and clarity is wonderful!
    And yes, the Class D is soon to be coming to the 10" combo-November 1st-
    and will make that amp a mere 23 lbs.

Mike
    I have the new Henriksen JazzAmp Ten on order, and should have it in 4-6 weeks. As for customer service, Henriksen is excellent. I would have no concerns at all regarding being able to return anything to Henriksen in the event of a problem, but in my experience Henriksen products are very reliable, Jims problem notwithstanding.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snoskier63
    I have the new Henriksen JazzAmp Ten on order, and should have it in 4-6 weeks. As for customer service, Henriksen is excellent. I would have no concerns at all regarding being able to return anything to Henriksen in the event of a problem, but in my experience Henriksen products are very reliable, Jims problem notwithstanding.
    And I would add to that, my problem was really only a serious issue because I was in Mexico when it happened. I have owned lot of Henriksen products since shortly after they opened their doors. The quality has always been very good and their service has been excellent.

User Info Menu

So you've tried both a Bud and an Aviator 8, and found you prefer the Mambo?
    What was missing from those amps that the Mambo was your choice?
    Thx,
    JG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nopedals
    I never play rock or distorted blues any more, but have a cheapo Joyo American pedal, and in a few minutes was able to get both tweed and blackface tones out of the bud. So I don't consider it a one trick pony. In fact, to mix metaphors, I think of it as a Swiss army knife. It sounds good with my ES300, my L7 with clip on mike, and my P bass.
    What you're responding to it seems, nopedals, is the sound/tone of your Joyo pedal - a great one at a great price indeed, but how's this amp on its own? Curious.

User Info Menu

I've just come home from playing a session with a 6-piece band (3 horns+rhythm) , using my Bud and my Super-400. That guitar puts out a massive signal and I had NO problem hearing myself on stage and I got MANY positive remarks from listeners re that fat and warm sound they heard. People can't believe it when they see that puny amp .....
    Depending on how you dial in the preamp volume on the amp you can fine-tune the amount of "hair" (or the "electric" sound-quality) in your tone to your taste and needs. When recording I've gotten good results using a low-gain overdrive pedal in front of the amp with the drive barely on.
    One more nice addition : the Bud paired with an extra speaker cab will DOUBLE the volume.