Posts 26 to 39 of 39

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Beat me to it cosmic.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak
    Come again???

Man, by saying that, it just can't be more obvious that you've never ever been in the same room with a Sadowsky... let alone playing one, yet you feel that anyway what you say might be of some value?

***shaking head in disbelief***
    ok, you must not understand that I was referring to the general similarity in "style" of the guitar. Never been in the same room? Owned one, and will stand by my statement that they are similar in "style". But I guess what I say has no value to you...exactly why some on here are complaining and/or leaving this forum...comments like yours. This person owns something already that they can use, get the feel of what they eventually will want to go with, and not piss money doing this search, like I have. I wish I kept mine, but was chasing the big full hollowbody holy grail only to find out I prefer solid guitars and smaller semi-hollows. So keep shaking your head while I try to help...you just trash talk.

User Info Menu

Headshot...

Lt K has an analytical way of looking at things, and he challenges what he perceives as BS, I know, he's done it to me. I made myself clear(er), and we were done.

Herein lies a fault with typed expressions, and perception of them. I too read your initial comments, and "shook my head" too. Believe me if you had stated your experience as an owner I doubt it would have gone off track. For sure "I" would not have "shook my head" :-)

So what I think I'm saying is that a bit of poster clarity may avoid acidic replies, then again there are some who want to argue. I don't think that's the case with Lt. K.

Another issue you and others have brought up is reliance of some forum members to want a consensus on a git before they buy.

Clearly an in hand demo isn't possible for everyone even in instrument rich large population areas and sometimes a consensus is better than a stab in the dark. What drives those threads off track (like this one) is the debate of differing viewpoints.

User Info Menu

agreed Gary, but I was trying to convey that a purchase was not necessary...yet. I have seen guys play jazz on non-jazz guitars, and it makes me drool. Then I see absolutely gorgeous archtops owned by members here, and I drool. Obviously my keyboard needs periodic sponging, but I kept chasing the "look" of a jazz guitar instead of playing what I have. I could have saved thousands of dollars over the last few years, but loved the chase. Some members here can flat out play...I am not one of them. But I enjoy playing none the less, and hate to see a newbie to jazz "chase" if they do not need to at this point.

Can I afford to buy whatever I want? Yes, but can I justify the purchase? No. At least not yet, but will eventually head up to Wolfe and figure something out. I apologize if typed words don't convey the messages sometimes, but saying something is obvious that I have not even been in the same room? It is better to know who I am before making idiotic statements. I never assume anything, kept me alive in my old line of work.

User Info Menu

Sorry for the lame question, but approximately what price range is in your mind? Seems hearing "semi budget" a very different ideas popping up...

User Info Menu

Just to share my experience
    I recently own a new Godin Montrel Premiere guitar. Having a vintage solidbody (a Tele Custom '76) and a first class hollowbody (a 2005 Heritage Golden Eagle), I wanted a versatile semihollow guitar for a modern sound

I can tell you that Godin Montreal Premiere excels in all aspects ! Sound, playbility, versatility and a unique look if you want to differentiate from the ES shape. Fully resonant with an affortable price tag. Regarding quality, I have never seen a guitar with a 12-points quality assurance check.

Go for it, you would n't regret it !

User Info Menu

I think that a lively and spirited discussion adds to, rather than detracting from, the forum. When people are as passionate about a topic as we are on the forum, strong opinions will lead to some disagreements.

I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing.

User Info Menu

About the members leaving the Forum because they're not able to have their fragile egos challenged by a different POV, the only thing that comes to mind is a quote from a movie: bye, Felicia!

There's a Spanish saying that goes "El que se va sin que lo echen, vuelve sin que lo llamen".

Unfortunately for the Forum, most individuals that threaten to leave are still around. Promises, promises!
    Last edited by LtKojak; 05-10-2018 at 03:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak
    About the members leaving the Forum because they're not able to have their fragile egos challenged by a different POV, the only thing that comes to mind is a quote from a movie: bye, Felicia!

There's a Spanish saying that goes "El que se va sin que lo echen, vuelve sin que lo llamen".

Unfortunately for the Forum, most individuals that threaten to leave are still around. Promises, promises!
    Arf, arf, arf... (meaning it's funny) :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marwin Moody
    Isn't the Ibanez JSM10 1000-1200 new?
    I paid $1,099 for mine. No idea what they'd fetch in Europe. Even at that price, I think it punches way above it's weight class.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joaopaz
    +1 for the Ibanez AS153 or maybe the JSM10 - would still fit in your budget.

I have the AS153 and can only say great things about it. The tri-switch is great and may provide several usable tone options. The guitar is very comfortable, feels solid and aside the usual input jack swap it never game any problems. I can get it to a very low action as well.
    A tri sound or even a dual sound switch even for Archtops like ES 175 is something that a lot of pure Jazzers might like..

The Neck Humbucker can go from Normal to Parallel which lowers the impedance and just cuts some of the low mids ...halfway between a PAF ( normal ) sound and a P90 ..but no noise ..for dense 6 note chords etc is where you might like it.

Ibanez trisound so Normal/ Parallel and Single Coil ...
    Changing PU Characteristics gives organic sounding variations different from just tweaking the Guitar or Amp often...

User Info Menu

You might want to have a try on a late 70s 335 type Japanese guitar. Ibanez, Greco. Good value for money and keep good value. Versitile and with a centreblock not so prone to feedback when played with pedals. Good for playing while standing or sitting down, nice clean tones. Every now and then some of those pop up at Marktplaats.nl or 2dehands.be for affordable prices. Maybe a bit over budget.

Succes met de zoektocht !!

User Info Menu

I tried a similar Ibanez model for a while. I couldn't quite get the sound I wanted out of it but, as I recall, I was able to turn down the treble, adjust the amp and play some jazz rehearsals (no gigs) and nobody complained.

The positive part was the playability -- that's a small neck in every dimension, which I liked. Ibanez is known for that, the wizard neck. So-called jazz guitars don't have that, as far as I am aware.

I wonder if anybody knows if your Ibanez can produce a classic jazz tone, or at least, close enough.

If not, perhaps someone can explain why not.

My guess is that it can probably come pretty close. It can get closer, perhaps, with a pickup change (particularly if it has a single coil in the neck position). Maybe flats, maybe slightly heavier gauge. Try your action a little higher than rock bottom. My reasoning is that the right pickup, EQ and amplification can outweigh whatever there is about the construction of the instrument that affects getting a so-called jazz sound, at least, if the discussion is about solid bodies. I don't think you can get a solid body to sound like an L5, but plenty of great jazz has been played on solid body guitars. Solid body, neck humbucker, correct strings, adjust EQ -- you get close.