The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 134
    So when my friend/dealer finally had enough and quit being a Gibson dealer in 2014 he told me that HJ's goal was to be strictly online sales in the near future. Dave's confirmed this to me today saying he just wants Amazon, MF, AMS to be selling Gibson's.
    I do not see how this can be good for anyone including Gibson. Would you buy a new car without a test drive ? Of course you have a approval period buying online but a lot of people simply will not buy that way.
    A business practice like this will cause more than just a few Gibson workers losing their jobs.

I was was shocked to hear today that only 10% of the Gibson Guitar Co. revenue comes from guitar sales. They make far more money on there other venues and HJ doesn't care all that much about the guitar portion of the business anymore. Of course I cannot state this as fact. I was just told this while trying to bang out a deal on a new Gibson.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ahhhhhhhh RIGHT. Its APRIL FOOLS DAY. YOU GOT US!

User Info Menu

A shame as Kevin is good people, I used to shop there all the time.

Henry J. is smoking so pretty good stuff, lotsa luck Henry, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Seriously Marc ? You wish Henry J. all the best ? He just laid off his top shelf employees at Nashville. I am sure they all have families to support.
    Yes he turned Gibson around in the 1980's but that was 30 years ago.
    I know you must know Kevin Jarvis owner of Gelb Music ? You guys both live in the same coastal town.
    Ask him to tell you some Henry J. stories. He will enlighten you. Kevin was a Gibson dealer from 1970-2014.
    Henry stepped on him like a roach.

User Info Menu

Vinny, my years as a lawyer taught me that there are at least two sides to every story. HJ kept Gibson from disappearing. I have several Gibby's made under his watch that have brought me much pleasure. If business is bad, you lay people off. I have had to do that in my business career.

I am sorry for your bad experiences with Gibson and for your friend who was a Gibson dealer, but I still hope that HJ and Gibson continue on.

User Info Menu

This is too funny/ish

Last edited by WillMbCdn5; 03-31-2017 at 09:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Dennis, this is a forum, so by definition, everything is 'conversation'. Whether I own, shopped for or simply desired a Gibson Crimson archtop, I still can offer my opinion. There is no need for your condescending remarks.

Tim,

No wonder you've stopped hanging out here as much. Can't say I blame you.

Big

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Vinny, my years as a lawyer taught me that there are at least two sides to every story. HJ kept Gibson from disappearing. I have several Gibby's made under his watch that have brought me much pleasure. If business is bad, you lay people off. I have had to do that in my business career.

I am sorry for your bad experiences with Gibson and for your friend who was a Gibson dealer, but I still hope that HJ and Gibson continue on.
    As do I my friend. I love Gibson guitars !

User Info Menu

As do I my friend. I love Gibson guitars !
    Of course you do. Gibsons rule!

User Info Menu

Dave's confirmed this to me today saying he just wants Amazon, MF, AMS to be selling Gibson's.
    They're gonna have to up their game re. add copy for selling through Amazon. Just looked up "Super 400" and the listing for a $16,293.98 natural says this:

• Designed to benefit all musicians
    • Crisp Bright tone
    • Natural

Amazon.com: Gibson Custom Shop SUPER 400 HSS4NAGH1 Hollow-Body Electric Guitar, Natural: Musical Instruments

I do think I understand Henry J's position though: Super 400's list for $20K and map for $15k, very few dealers can move these and they generally do at deep, deep discounts. Gibson has tried requiring dealers sell the entire Gibson line which has lead to consolidators/liquidators on eBay selling high end models as used to help dealers liquidate guitars they would not have chosen to buy if not contractually required to buy. Also, the softening of the used market is likely putting downward pressure on prices for new gear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Wouldn't you call GC a big-time brick and mortar store ?

I sure don't agree with cancelling Dave's, and not sure about closing Crimson Custom, but keep in mind Dave's was ' closed to Gibson ' a few years ago and was later re-instated. Who's to say the Crimson Shop won't come back with a new name or ???

But to Henry's credit - -why make any more of something if you can't sell the ones still on the shelf ? And according to this info, production is only stopped 'til September.

Bottom line, more than likely, Henry barely - if ever, 'got his price' for the new ones. And you have to wonder if Dave's or the other dealers did either.

So, maybe they'll look at pricing - or maybe just let demand build back up again.
    I agree with what you are saying here Dennis.

I sincerely hope the loyal, first rate artisan employees of the Custom Crimson division were retained in some capacity. It sucks being without a job to feed your family for any length of time.

Joe D

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    I agree with what you are saying here Dennis.

I sincerely hope the loyal, first rate artisan employees of the Custom Crimson division were retained in some capacity. It sucks being without a job to feed your family for any length of time.

Joe D
    Hmmmm how would you like to be making Citations and Super 400's one day and be told to pack up and move to the bottom feeder plant and start making SG's or hit the road ?
    Something very similar like that happened to me. Believe me you feel like you've been bent over.
    Maybe these types of practices are the root of QC problems. Quality craftsmanship is a byproduct of a happy and prideful worker that feels valued by there employer. If you are dodging a swinging axe you could care less and you will get even any chance you can get. That is basic human nature.

Joe you know what happened to me. Though I am making fat stacks I hate the bottom feeder work I must also do now. When you have to do things far below your skill set you are not happy. I used to love my job.
    It would be like telling George Benson he can only play chop sticks on the guitar.

I will always play Gibson guitars and nothing else. HJ is not a decent or honorable human being. Ask anyone that works for him or has to do business with him. In fact if and when the Crimson shop reopens ask them about him like I did. By the way they all know me. I put all there kids through college.

Like the Bible says: The love of money is the root of all evil. Thank God I was never a businessman.
    Anyone that can lay off a bunch of people and destroy lives then go home to there nice plush home for a good night sleep has a dead soul IMO. We all make our own choices in life but will all answer for those decisions.
    When money becomes more important than lives you are on the losing side of life plain and simple.

Believe me the real reason Gibson's are not selling is most people can no longer afford them. Almost $6k now for a 175. $10k for a L5. A wise man told me once...It is better to make $1 profit off 10 items than $10 off of 1.
    Corporate greed has not only destroyed the USA but the whole world. Back to the love of money.

User Info Menu

Funny, it's escaped me until now, but I've just had a staggering epiphany. I'd never noticed THE SUBLIME BEAUTY OF THE HERITAGE HEADSTOCK.

User Info Menu

Seriously Marc ? You wish Henry J. all the best ? He just laid off his top shelf employees at Nashville. I am sure they all have families to support.
    Yes he turned Gibson around in the 1980's but that was 30 years ago.
    I know you must know Kevin Jarvis owner of Gelb Music ? You guys both live in the same coastal town.
    Ask him to tell you some Henry J. stories. He will enlighten you. Kevin was a Gibson dealer from 1970-2014.
    Henry stepped on him like a roach.

This is the man that did all the work you give Henry credit for.

Gibson Crimson shop closed-057e53d910e6e688ad4b32802cd5e271-jpg

An 80's and 90's icon that spawned an entire generation on the Les Paul. That was 20 years ago!
    I think his loss, has been a loss Gibson will never fully recover from

In a way like my absence from this forum...

Gibson Crimson shop closed-unknown-3-jpeg

Hope you're all in the best of health and wishing you all a fantastic year. Missed you guys!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pubylakeg
    Funny, it's escaped me until now, but I've just had a staggering epiphany. I'd never noticed THE SUBLIME BEAUTY OF THE HERITAGE HEADSTOCK.
    See I disappear for 5 minutes and now the Heritage headstock is considered the height of style and design

I knew this would happen!

Gibson Crimson shop closed-unknown-4-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WillMbCdn5
    This is too funny/ish

Genius!

User Info Menu

Gibson is hiring a new CMO, send Henry you resume!

Chief Marketing Officer job - Gibson Brands Inc. - Nashville, TN | Indeed.com

User Info Menu

more brilliant CEO decisions, similar to the 2015 ones?

User Info Menu

Hopefully this is an early April Fools posting--happened 3 years ago as well on this date...

Gibson Crimson shop closed-screen-shot-2017-04-01-8-44-33-am-png

OTOH, I notice on Dave's website DG is NO LONGER listed as an authorized dealer for Gibson. Looks like their current inventory is old. And then there's this...

Dave's Guitar Shop No Longer a Gibson Acoustic Dealer? - Gibson Guitar Board

I'll pop them an email to check it out. If true, that would be MOST unfortunate. Dave's is possibly THE largest bricks and mortar retailer of Gibsons. I mean, he literally has hundreds, including dozens of even high-end guitars like L5's, Super 400's, etc.

You know I like Gibsons and hate to badmouth them too much, but this defies common sense. One of my HS classmates worked hard to get a Gibson contract about 10 years ago despite their being an ass about inventory, minimum sales, etc. It only lasted a year or 2, and eventually my friend got out of the new guitar business altogether.

I think Gibson is making a BIG mistake here...

User Info Menu

For different reasons Gibson and Elderly Instruments in Lansing had a parting the ways years ago. Something to do Elderly's promoting of a different banjo brand that led to litigation. End result no new Gibby's at Elderly's for the past fifteen years or so. Since then the Gibson brand tarnishes more and more while Elderly's remains one of the coolest guitar shops on the planet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    You know I like Gibsons and hate to badmouth them too much, but this defies common sense. One of my HS classmates worked hard to get a Gibson contract about 10 years ago despite their being an ass about inventory, minimum sales, etc. It only lasted a year or 2, and eventually my friend got out of the new guitar business altogether.
    There's likely more money in used gits anyway, especially if the dealer has a well done consignment strategy.

I too like Gibson's, and badmouth them when necessary... not too much, just enough for me, but obviously not enough for the movers and shakers there to clean up their act. Gibson "quality" issues have become all too well known worldwide, enough for players to make sensible decisions that gave other brands an opening they would not have if Gibson had not screwed up so badly.

Anyway, whatever they decide to stop making is OK with me. I have what I want, and there's many years of production out there to choose from should I want another, one hopefully with any issues already fleshed out.

User Info Menu

Not having them in stores is a huge mistake. Not only is it bad for the stores it is supremely bad for Gibson. Last time I was in a local store around here - they have been family owned and open for like 40 years now I think - some guy was in there just casually shopping. Didn't plan on buying anything apparently. But he saw some high end signature model Strat in a case and left with it. Not everyone likes buying guitars without having played them and nor seeing them in person - I would have ended up with a Gibson or two if I saw them in stores in the last few years, that's for sure. I would feel good about buying something online because I have bought lower end instruments online in the past and they arrived in good condition but when you are talking about buying a NEW instrument for several thousand dollars? That might be something I would risk for something that is rare and used but certainly not something new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

If they stop producing new custom shop instruments, the used market for them will simply increase in demand with their price raising.
    It might switch back the market to favor sellers as it used to be...maybe its time to buy now before the big price increase for those who intend to buy Gibson Custom shop instruments.
    Good I also already got everything I need !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ScoopTheMids
    >> SNIP<<realizing that most people buying new Gibson instruments were Podiatrists buying a sense of childhood achievement more so than musicians in need of sensible value in a working tool.

You can spec a guitar from China or Korea, right now, to be every bit as good as a Gibson for 1/6th the cost (sometimes, the spread is even wider). Every bit in terms of materials and build quality, every bit as good in terms of playability and "tone".

The worst thing that could happen to Gibson is if human beings suddenly stopped being religious, because religiosity herd-mentality and folklore is what drives all interest in their products.
    OUCH!!! I love it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    See I disappear for 5 minutes and now the Heritage headstock is considered the height of style and design

I knew this would happen!

User Info Menu

To get back a bit to the original topic, mainly because this is new info to me, does Gibson have other subcontractors building them stuff? I knew that Bolin builds Gibson branded stuff (outside of prototypes mainly to B. Gibbons, I assume), but do they outsource building elsewhere?

It's funny that even though you think you knew a lot about the guitar/bass business, but you still don't know it all

My 2c on the business side of things: Not really surprised about this, because for the price of Gibson archtops you can pretty much go custom if you want. And if I would have 3-8k€(or dollars) to burn on an archtop, I would go custom too..