The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 67 of 67

User Info Menu

Do you know if the Aria has kerfing? I recall from another thread (No bracing and a sound post? Questions regarding lawsuit 175 and Ibanez) that some of the Japanese archtops aren't kerfed.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Socraticaster
    Do you know if the Aria has kerfing? I recall from another thread (No bracing and a sound post? Questions regarding lawsuit 175 and Ibanez) that some of the Japanese archtops aren't kerfed.
    Yes it has kerfed lining. There was a real attempt, aside from using laminates, to duplicate the construction of the L5ces. I think it even has the block lining the cutaway.
    Gibson L-5 CES Copies and the Real Thing-img_5937-jpgGibson L-5 CES Copies and the Real Thing-img_5935-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So maybe Seymour Duncan Seth Lover?
    It depends.

Which one are you referring to?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak
    It depends.

You said the Epiphone Elitist could do with a better pickup. I suggested the Seymour Duncan Seth Lover. Do you think that's a good idea?

If I keep the EEB I might do something with the pickup, though I think it sounds pretty good even now.

User Info Menu

It depends.

BTW I think the Aria pickups are wonderful. I had the SD SL in it for a while, but put the original back in. The pickups on the 70s era Aria Pro II's have a pretty good reputation, and even cult status among some. I don't know any PE180 owners who found the factory pickups inadequate.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    If you want to do a variant test that will screw everyone up, show the Gibson while we hear the Epi. In other words, let the visual info not always correlate with the audio. Then have a contest to see if anyone can accurately associate the sound with the actual guitar that made the sound.

We all have biases. As soon as I see the Gibson headstock, my expectations are set.

I've done such a test with two old Les Pauls (1959s), a Heritage 150 and an Epi LP. It is surprising how hard it is to tell which is which when the visual cues point in another direction.
    Why do a test to purposely 'screw everyone up'?

Instead eliminate the biases, by not having any visuals, make it a true 'blind test'.

Just label each test section with 'Archtop A', 'Archtop B', and 'Archtop C'. Now all one can relate to and judge is the sound. No bias by seeing a guitar.

Just my 2 cents....

Mark

BTW I think the Aria pickups are wonderful. I had the SD SL in it for a while, but put the original back in. The pickups on the 70s era Aria Pro II's have a pretty good reputation, and even cult status among some. I don't know any PE180 owners who found the factory pickups inadequate.
    The pickups on the Aria Pro II are greats. To my ears they sound round and mellow.

User Info Menu

This may come off as so obvious as to be insulting, but making changes to a guitar's setup can radically alter it's tone and feel.

I recently made some changes to my Epiphone Elitist Broadway that made the guitar sound and play almost like a completely different instrument, and all I did was change the strings from flats to rounds and raise the action.

Every once in a while, when I get the urge to shop for a new instrument, I'll make such setup changes that satiate my urge to splurge (temporarily).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Klatu
    This may come off as so obvious as to be insulting, but making changes to a guitar's setup can radically alter it's tone and feel.

I recently made some changes to my Epiphone Elitist Broadway that made the guitar sound and play almost like a completely different instrument, and all I did was change the strings from flats to rounds and raise the action.

Every once in a while, when I get the urge to shop for a new instrument, I'll make such setup changes that satiate my urge to splurge (temporarily).
    not insulting to me, at least, because it's completely true. Patient work to get an instrument set up will bring out its best. I've had maybe 3 guitars that didn't need some serious setup attention, but in no case was the result an unhappy one.

User Info Menu

You said the Epiphone Elitist could do with a better pickup. I suggested the Seymour Duncan Seth Lover
    Well, you can never go wrong with a Seth Lover, although for the Elitist I'd choose the Lollar Imperial.

I think its inherent tonal footprint would suit the Epi better, if you ask me.

HTH,

User Info Menu

Well, you can never go wrong with a Seth Lover, although for the Elitist I'd choose the Lollar Imperial.

I think its inherent tonal footprint would suit the Epi better, if you ask me.

HTH,
    thanks! If I end up keeping the EEB I might just do that. I'm about 75% decided I will sell this very fine guitar, so I am keeping it "stock" for now. Doing a little photography of the inside to confirm all the components and construction, then by the end of the week I'll likely post it for sale.

User Info Menu

Well, that's not been the experience I've had with the few that went through my workbench, but maybe we both look for and like different tone footprints, so no discussion here. That's a case of "to-may-to, toh-mah-toh", so to speak.

"De gustibus non disputandum est"
    - Gaius Iulius Caesar, Roman dictator

User Info Menu

Well, that's not been the experience I've had with the few that went through my workbench, but maybe we both look for and like different tone footprints, so no discussion here. That's a case of "to-may-to, toh-mah-toh", so to speak.

"De gustibus non disputandum est"
    - Gaius Iulius Caesar, Roman dictator
    Well as you know, I have a high regard for your opinion and experience on these matters. Nevertheless, on my Aria, at least, the stock pickups sound great, and I had a SDSL in there for a while for comparison. Such things certainly are subjective, though in some cases, like my MiK/Peerless Broadway, the replacement of the original Epiphone neck pickup with a SDSL was like a night-to-day transformation of that guitar. I imagine in a blind recording test, most would think it a much more expensive instrument than it actually is.

User Info Menu

Well as you know, I have a high regard for your opinion and experience on these matters.
    Why thank you very much indeed for your extremely kind words!

on my Aria, at least, the stock pickups sound great, and I had a SDSL in there for a while for comparison.
    Well, if you remember, the Aria was my pick from the video you made... and I know what I like!

my MiK/Peerless Broadway, the replacement of the original Epiphone neck pickup with a SDSL was like a night-to-day transformation of that guitar. I imagine in a blind recording test, most would think it a much more expensive instrument than it actually is.
    You see, good things also happen in the world sometimes, isn't it? Just keep the faith!

User Info Menu

Nice comparison, thank you.
    Basically it would be very difficult to support a statement such as the Aria has aged and therefore sounds more dry or sweet.

The Aria has a wooden bridge, the other two doesn't.

Different pickups on each guitar, regardless of the EQ caused by the change of the different windings/magnets, you have a substantial volume difference between each of the instruments but it is quite noticable in the PE180 where the output sounds higher by at the very least 3DB.

The ear tends to perceive louder sound as better. we can't control this psych, no matter what you think.

The best sound engineers in the world make a "before and after" tests and compare the levels visually. thats right - visually, because our ears are deceiving.

A true test would have a TOM bridge on the Aria and interchanging the same pickup between them.

But thanks for that, was very interesting to hear.

User Info Menu

9 out of 10 times louder will be preferred.

FWIW, I have a TOM on my Aria PE-180/Memphis EL300. It still stomps a mud hole in the competition.

User Info Menu

That was a really cool comparison, thank you.
    I always (unfortunately for my wallet) prefer solid wood to ply and I could hear the difference here. But wow that aria did impress me!