Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 90
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    I picked up the Guitar yesterday afternoon from Lark Street Music in Teaneck New Jersey.
    The luthier, by recommendation of our very own QAMan (yes the same guy I bought the guitar from) is Ian Davlin. Well known on instagram as @martinluthierking did an EXTRAORDINARY job. He didn't add a mark to this guitar. All he did was make it the absolute, without question, finest guitar I've ever put my hands on. Not only does it sound amazing, but it is now the best and easiest playing guitar I've ever played. Ian installed EVO Gold 47/104 wire. The wire has a very subtle tint of gold in it. Very elegant. The feel of the wire is very close to stainless. It adds definition to every note played. A guitar like the GJS acoustically, makes wonderful sound. These frets accentuate every note so that every note played is hi-lighted with a clearly defined ring. Bass notes are strong and deep yet quicker to respond than before. With these frets, the guitar sounds more like a baby grand piano. Playability of the guitar has increased to level of perfection. I played for 2 hours absolutely no hand fatigue at all. The guitar wants to be pushed now. 2 hours of effortless playing and not a single hint of fret buzz anywhere.
    I was afraid to do this and many of you recommended that I proceed. In retrospect, it was a brainer. Now, the GJS is the only guitar I will really ever need. It is my dream guitar. There is not a hint of disappointment with this guitar now. Everything about it is perfect. The best guitar I've ever touched.

    Gibson Johnny Smith - New Frets!!! Now with Videos..-img_3741-jpgGibson Johnny Smith - New Frets!!! Now with Videos..-img_3744-jpgGibson Johnny Smith - New Frets!!! Now with Videos..-img_3749-jpgGibson Johnny Smith - New Frets!!! Now with Videos..-img_3751-jpg





    Last edited by Max405; 03-26-2017 at 01:36 PM.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Very classy indeed !
    -----------------------------------

    "The instrument keeps me humble. Sometimes I pick it up and it seems to say, "No, you can't play today." I keep at it anyway, though." Jim Hall

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Well all-right!!! What a great looking fret job! Kudos to QAman for his good offices, and to you, Joe, for your patience, which will now be rewarded. Looking forward to hearing the beautiful music you will make with your dream guitar. Enjoy it in good health!
    Best regards, k

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    The fretwork looks excellent, and it's really good to see such a fine guitar have such a successful outcome.

    Proper fretwork contributes to the response from a neck, and the neck is very important for the whole guitar's sound.
    This is true even where a note is not fretted, as the fingerboard reacts to all string energy into the neck in very important ways, and the fret tang compression fit in its slot has an effect on the fingerboard's sound shaping. That fret job can make a better "soundboard" even for an open string.

    I'd like to someday be able to get a GJS, and if I ever do I'd wish for it to be in the condition yours has now: Beautiful and set for life (or at least a very long stretch!)

    John

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    I'm so glad to hear it! (And can't wait to HEAR it.)

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Wow - that looks fantastic. Really happy for you that it didn't disappoint !



    Enjoy it for a long time in good health Joe !

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Joe,
    The fret job looks magnificent and you have now optomized the potential of this guitar. Ian does fine work - he has over 20 years of fret installation experience, on both new and vintage instruments.

    Most importantly - you are now able to play without fatigue that was caused by the increased fretting pressure needed against the flat frets.

    Additionally, this is also valuable information for anyone else contemplating the replacement of Norlin period flat fret wire.

    Thanks for taking the leap of faith and sharing your experience . Just remember - I am first in line should you ever decide to sell the guitar......but I doubt that will happen now.


    Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    I don't know/remember if there were nibs before but IMHO it's good they are gone now. I have never seen any advantage of nibs from the players point of view - and seasonal shrinking and swelling of an ebony fretboard can make the binding crack. Also, protruding frets are easy to fix without nibs whereas with nibs some minor surgery is involved.
    "But if they all play like me, then who am I?" (Lester Young)

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Now, doesn't that look nice? Doesn't that look NICE? The EVO GOLD takes it up more than a notch.

    I am glad I chose FW9665 aka FW47104 EVO Gold for my 2 Roger Borys builds.

    Play her in good health, Max405. That is tony minus the gaudy.

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    I bet you are happy to have your baby back home. The EVO looks good with the gold hardware. I do not like them on guitars with nickel or chrome hadware. I think you chose the perfect size. The work looks first rate. Did you play any cool axes when you were in Buzzy's store? Talk about a temptation factory......
    _____________________________________________
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Gibson Johnny Smith - New Frets!!! Now with Videos..-8cf4a7835fef9e7882da0f00f79bb5ba_sound-music-meme-reunited-feels-so-good-memes_600-50-jpeg

    so happy the job was well done and with respect..lark st has been a top outfit for years

    enjoy joe D

    cheers

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    I picked up the Guitar yesterday afternoon from Lark Street Music in Teaneck New Jersey.
    The luthier, by recommendation of our very own QAMan (yes the same guy I bought the guitar from) is Ian Davlin. Well known on instagram as @martinluthierking did an EXTRAORDINARY job. He didn't add a mark to this guitar. All he did was make it the absolute, without question, finest guitar I've ever put my hands on. Not only does it sound amazing, but it is now the best and easiest playing guitar I've ever played. Ian installed EVO Gold 47/104 wire. The wire has a very subtle tint of gold in it. Very elegant. The feel of the wire is very close to stainless. It adds definition to every note played. A guitar like the GJS acoustically, makes wonderful sound. These frets accentuate every note so that every note played is hi-lighted with a clearly defined ring. Bass notes are strong and deep yet quicker to respond than before. With these frets, the guitar sounds more like a baby grand piano. Playability of the guitar has increased to level of perfection. I played for 2 hours absolutely no hand fatigue at all. The guitar wants to be pushed now. 2 hours of effortless playing and not a single hint of fret buzz anywhere.
    I was afraid to do this and many of you recommended that I proceed. In retrospect, it was a brainer. Now, the GJS is the only guitar I will really ever need. It is my dream guitar. There is not a hint of disappointment with this guitar now. Everything about it is perfect. The best guitar I've ever touched.

    Gibson Johnny Smith - New Frets!!! Now with Videos..-img_3741-jpgGibson Johnny Smith - New Frets!!! Now with Videos..-img_3744-jpgGibson Johnny Smith - New Frets!!! Now with Videos..-img_3749-jpgGibson Johnny Smith - New Frets!!! Now with Videos..-img_3751-jpg



    Holey moley what an emphatic recommendation!

    I was toying with getting one of my guitars refretted (it's passable to play because I was playing fingerstyle-but now I'm transitioning to pick-and-fingers, so the buzzes are becoming painfully obvious).

    On such a strong recommendation, I'm going to get it refretted using those same frets. When I find the time (I'm back to working 80-90 hours a week )

    My question to you is: would it make a difference if the guitar is a plywood guitar? I.e., is there better or optimal fret choices for carved vs plywood axes? (apologies for my ignorance if this is a silly question).

    The guitar I am planning to get refretted is a Gibson Howard Roberts oval hole custom.

    Thanks again!
    Navdeep Singh.

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Gold frets & gold hardware make a guitar pop in an elegant sort of way! I ordered a Warmoth with the Jescar Gold Evo .047/.104" frets a few years ago, and I've since had all of my guitars frets replaced with them by a local fret wunderkind. I love that all of the fretboards are level and straight. The relief is set to "0" on the high "E" of my guitars. They all play like buddha with low action.
    Congratulations to you, and it sounds like the wait was worth it! Jeff
    Last edited by helios; 03-25-2017 at 03:32 PM.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    We need new soundclips now !

    for all we know it sounds terrible after the refret.....
    "Oh, those jazz guys are just making that stuff up!" - Homer

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by medblues View Post
    Very classy indeed !
    Thanks MB!

    Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74 View Post
    Well all-right!!! What a great looking fret job! Kudos to QAman for his good offices, and to you, Joe, for your patience, which will now be rewarded. Looking forward to hearing the beautiful music you will make with your dream guitar. Enjoy it in good health!
    when I brought in the guitar, Ian took it in his hands and said "oh my god, this is a 76? I thought it was a modern guitar." It's a beauty. I couldn't have asked for more.

    Quote Originally Posted by john_a View Post
    The fretwork looks excellent, and it's really good to see such a fine guitar have such a successful outcome.

    Proper fretwork contributes to the response from a neck, and the neck is very important for the whole guitar's sound.
    This is true even where a note is not fretted, as the fingerboard reacts to all string energy into the neck in very important ways, and the fret tang compression fit in its slot has an effect on the fingerboard's sound shaping. That fret job can make a better "soundboard" even for an open string.

    I'd like to someday be able to get a GJS, and if I ever do I'd wish for it to be in the condition yours has now: Beautiful and set for life (or at least a very long stretch!)

    John
    John, you know, I thought I was imagining that. The open strings even sound better. I asked Ian to put the existing strings back on for 2 reasons, 1. Im cheap and they were only a month old, 2. I wanted to see if I actually heard a difference, taking new strings out of the equation. Open strings even sound better. It's amazing.
    I hope your GJS is a 41 year old brand new guitar too!

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan View Post
    I'm so glad to hear it! (And can't wait to HEAR it.)
    thanks RythMman. I was gonna do a video, but I figured you guys are sick of hearing me play so much.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D View Post
    Wow - that looks fantastic. Really happy for you that it didn't disappoint
    Enjoy it for a long time in good health Joe !
    Dennis, I will buddy. The guitar absolutely blows me away every time I play it. Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by QAman View Post
    Joe,
    The fret job looks magnificent and you have now optomized the potential of this guitar. Ian does fine work - he has over 20 years of fret installation experience, on both new and vintage instruments.
    Most importantly - you are now able to play without fatigue that was caused by the increased fretting pressure needed against the flat frets.
    Additionally, this is also valuable information for anyone else contemplating the replacement of Norlin period flat fret wire.
    Thanks for taking the leap of faith and sharing your experience . Just remember - I am first in line should you ever decide to sell the guitar......but I doubt that will happen.
    QAman, yes the fatigue is non existent. My thanks again to you and the gentleman, god rest his soul who kept this guitar in pristine shape for all those years. It's a shame he never played it much.
    And like I said when we talked yesterday.. it's yours in about 35 years. Bring a shovel with you..
    thanks bro.

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by oldane View Post
    I don't know/remember if there were nibs before but IMHO it's good they are gone now. I have never seen any advantage of nibs from the players point of view - and seasonal shrinking and swelling of an ebony fretboard can make the binding crack. Also, protruding frets are easy to fix without nibs whereas with nibs some minor surgery is involved.
    So much truth here.

    Looks like the fellow did a really clean job of it. Enjoy it.
    1948 Gibson L-7N
    1981 Epi Emperor T (MIJ Matsumoku)
    1998 Epi Zephyr Regent (Peerless)
    1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio
    2004 Gibson SG Special Faded
    2006 Epi G-1275 (MIK, Unsung)
    2013 Squier Affinity Telecaster, BSB
    (among others)

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by oldane View Post
    I don't know/remember if there were nibs before but IMHO it's good they are gone now. I have never seen any advantage of nibs from the players point of view - and seasonal shrinking and swelling of an ebony fretboard can make the binding crack. Also, protruding frets are easy to fix without nibs whereas with nibs some minor surgery is involved.
    OD, the nibs were there, but they were as low as the frets. I don't miss them But I do like them. I keep my guitars properly humidified so the neck never shrinks. I never had a binding crack on my watch. Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Now, doesn't that look nice? Doesn't that look NICE? The EVO GOLD takes it up more than a notch.
    I am glad I chose FW9665 aka FW47104 EVO Gold for my 2 Roger Borys builds.
    Play her in good health, Max405. That is tony minus the gaudy.
    i think you are gonna love the frets Jabbs. They are elegant and purposeful. They are crazy good.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    I bet you are happy to have your baby back home. The EVO looks good with the gold hardware. I do not like them on guitars with nickel or chrome hadware. I think you chose the perfect size. The work looks first rate. Did you play any cool axes when you were in Buzzy's store? Talk about a temptation factory......
    I didn't play anything at Lark. A couple of nice guitars caught my eye but it's a very small shop. If I was to play something in the shop, then I'd have a customers ass right in my face. The chair is like 5 feet from the counter. Very tight in there. I need to be comfortable when I play. Plus I don't think Buzzy likes me very much... thats ok.
    Yes I missed my Johnny. But BooBoo kept me very happy..

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Max, i'm happy for you! I'm looking forward to hearing it. And .... can you post a photo showing the whole guitar, i'm wondering how the golden frets look like in "the big picture".
    _________
    JazzNote

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    so happy the job was well done and with respect..lark st has been a top outfit for years
    enjoy joe D
    cheers
    gee, I would rather have seen the Julie Andrews surprise topless shot from Victor Victoria.. I've never been the same since! Thanks Neatomic.

    Quote Originally Posted by NSJ View Post
    Holey moley what an emphatic recommendation!
    I was toying with getting one of my guitars refretted (it's passable to play because I was playing fingerstyle-but now I'm transitioning to pick-and-fingers, so the buzzes are becoming painfully obvious).
    On such a strong recommendation, I'm going to get it refretted using those same frets. When I find the time (I'm back to working 80-90 hours a week )
    My question to you is: would it make a difference if the guitar is a plywood guitar? I.e., is there better or optimal fret choices for carved vs plywood axes? (apologies for my ignorance if this is a silly question).
    The guitar I am planning to get refretted is a Gibson Howard Roberts oval hole custom.
    Thanks again!
    thanks NSJ. You know, that is a really good question. I suppose it would accentuate the sound of any guitar. These frets add definition. So the guitar would sound more complex.
    Sorry you are working so much. I hope it's a job that you enjoy.
    And THANK YOU for posting!

    Quote Originally Posted by helios View Post
    Gold frets & gold hardware make a guitar pop in an elegant sort of way! I ordered a Warmoth with the Jescar God Evo .047/.104" frets a few years ago, and I've since had all of my guitars frets replaced with them by a local fret wunderkind. I love that all of the fretbaords are level and straight. The relief is set to "0" on the high "E" of my guitars. They all play like buddha with low action.
    Congratulations to you, and it sounds like the wait was worth it! Jeff
    wow, that's cool. These frets are really all they are cracked up to be. Subtle but certain. Every note is defined.
    Thanks Helios!
    Quote Originally Posted by fws6 View Post
    We need new soundclips now !
    for all we know it sounds terrible after the refret.....
    ok.. let go of my arm... im working on it. I promise.
    Thanks guys.
    Joe D
    Last edited by Max405; 03-27-2017 at 09:02 PM.

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    So much truth here.

    Looks like the fellow did a really clean job of it. Enjoy it.
    thanks Brian. He really did a great job for sure. Neat and tidy. No imperfections at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote View Post
    Max, i'm happy for you! I'm looking forward to hearing it. And .... can you post a photo showing the whole guitar, i'm wondering how the golden frets look like in "the big picture".
    Thank you JazzNote! Ok I will post something pronto.

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    Full body shots.
    Gibson Johnny Smith - New Frets!!! Now with Videos..-img_3757-jpgGibson Johnny Smith - New Frets!!! Now with Videos..-img_3756-jpgGibson Johnny Smith - New Frets!!! Now with Videos..-img_3759-jpg
    Posting pictures from a iPad is mega frustrating..
    Last edited by Max405; 03-25-2017 at 04:59 PM.

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    What do you like better bro ? L5 or JS neck. The JS has a very flat fretboard just like a Super 400 has.
    Also do you like 25x1-3/4 or 25.5x1-11/16 better ?.......just wondering. AAA+++ fret job ! Congrats.

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    What do you like better bro ? L5 or JS neck. The JS has a very flat fretboard just like a Super 400 has.
    Also do you like 25x1-3/4 or 25.5x1-11/16 better ?.......just wondering. AAA+++ fret job ! Congrats.
    its hard to say. This now FEELS like an L5 neck. Just a hair shallower. Honestly, I don't notice the nut width but I do notice the scale difference. I play anything I know on either but the 25" is easier to navigate.
    Now I know why you like the Wine L5. These frets really add definition. They should call them 3D Gold frets.
    Thanks for convincing me that it was the right thing to do. As usual, you were right..
    JD

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    Not sure this size question had been answered, ( and sorry if it was ), but relative to a standard WesMo fretwire, is this wire larger, wider, the same ? I am guessing the material is different, just not sure about the size.


    Thanks.

  27. #26

    User Info Menu

    I think this is a close as you will come to modern day Wes wire.
    Gibson installs them standard on at least one brand new Wine L5 Wes that know of.

  28. #27

    User Info Menu

    I think you have the cleanest JS in the world bro. Hard to believe it is 41. Gorgeous.

    Matt Cushman made me a guitar a lot like a JS around 2005. It was 25 inch scale. 1/2 makes a big difference. Really nice to play.
    For me sometimes 25.5 feels a little long and 24.75 a little short. Too bad Gibson doesn't make the JS anymore.
    The LeGrand has the same L5 neck spec plus they carve them too thin or at least the one I had.

  29. #28

    User Info Menu

    Congratulations Joe.

    You are someone who is keeping the Johnny Smith flame burning by playing his classic tunes his way, with his sound, now on "his" guitar. The frets look so nice. I've adjusted to the skinny frets on my VOS1959 ES175 without much problem, but I definitely prefer the more modern type of frets.

    No "hint of gold" about these frets. They just dazzle with the gold hardware and set the whole guitar on fire!

    I enjoy your utter delight in this good outcome with this superb guitar, which couldn't have a better curator than you!
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

  30. #29

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    Full body shots.
    Posting pictures from a iPad is mega frustrating..
    Thanks for posting the pics, you did a very good job! Yes, the subtle gold makes it look even better than before.
    _________
    JazzNote

  31. #30

    User Info Menu

    Incredible guitar. Thanks for sharing.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  32. #31

    User Info Menu

    Go ahead, keep rubbing it in. You have a great JS and we don't.

  33. #32

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    I think you have the cleanest JS in the world bro. Hard to believe it is 41. Gorgeous.
    Matt Cushman made me a guitar a lot like a JS around 2005. It was 25 inch scale. 1/2 makes a big difference. Really nice to play.
    For me sometimes 25.5 feels a little long and 24.75 a little short. Too bad Gibson doesn't make the JS anymore.
    The LeGrand has the same L5 neck spec plus they carve them too thin or at least the one I had.
    i think the original owner has passed away. God, I would like to have thanked him. Think about it, you guys have heard me rave about this guitar more than enough. Can you imagine someone having this for 40 years and every time he played it, he wiped it down and placed it back in the case. Kept it brand new for 40 years. I am crazy lucky. I will keep it for as long as I can and it will make nice music and my son will have it after me and it will be as old as my DA excel was.

    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    Congratulations Joe.

    You are someone who is keeping the Johnny Smith flame burning by playing his classic tunes his way, with his sound, now on "his" guitar. The frets look so nice. I've adjusted to the skinny frets on my VOS1959 ES175 without much problem, but I definitely prefer the more modern type of frets.
    No "hint of gold" about these frets. They just dazzle with the gold hardware and set the whole guitar on fire!
    I enjoy your utter delight in this good outcome with this superb guitar, which couldn't have a better curator than you!
    thank you so much Lawson. It's important to me to keep the legends alive.
    Its been a great week for us. Your L5 is one of the prettiest guitars ever. We are lucky guys. Thanks bro.

    Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote View Post
    Thanks for posting the pics, you did a very good job! Yes, the subtle gold makes it look even better than before.
    you got it buddy, and thank you.

    Quote Originally Posted by blille View Post
    Incredible guitar. Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you sir. It was my pleasure.

  34. #33

    User Info Menu

    I was sweating bullets fearing something might go wrong (shop fire, dirty bomb, etc.). I'm thrilled you got what you want, Joe. You deserve it.
    MG

  35. #34

    User Info Menu

    It's no Hofner Chancellor, but it looks OK.
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

  36. #35

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass View Post
    I was sweating bullets fearing something might go wrong (shop fire, dirty bomb, etc.). I'm thrilled you got what you want, Joe. You deserve it.
    MG, I've been meaning to reach out to you. I will in the next couple of days.
    Yes, this guitar is now exactly I what was hoping for. But, as humans, we will never stop chasing. But as far as finding the best guitar for the stuff I play the most, how ironic is it that the "Johnny" is the one..
    Now I can relax and be patient. Thanks for being happy for me bud.
    Joe D

  37. #36

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    It's no Hofner Chancellor, but it looks OK.
    Ha! You know, in my life, I need to branch out and curl up with one of these Chancellor's for a while. But I am afraid that it might change my perspective a bit and send me into another tail spin. That's the last thing I need..

  38. #37

    User Info Menu

    Remember the Tal Farlow song......Gibson Boy.

  39. #38

    User Info Menu

    Well, I'm glad it's over. I'd be afraid to touch it, the pictures alone scare me. Have fun and enjoy! How loud is it acoustically? I played a 68 and found the neck block and top thickness made it quieter than I expected. It did sound good, just not really loud. I'd like to compare one to the Guild version one day.

  40. #39

    User Info Menu

    Cavalier, Naaa.. I touched the heck of it this morning. Here are 3 new videos.







    Thanks everyone!

    Joe D

  41. #40

    User Info Menu

    Well, fucque!! Thanks for that. Those are amazing performances. I listened to all three.

    The bell-like clarity is off the charts good. Perfect balance between the bass and the higher frequencies, no excessive boom or mud--usually we sacrifice one for the other, in comparing the bottom end and the melody sounds. You are sacrificing nothing, here. The beauty of the playing just pours out.

    What are the concrete differences in terms of tone, before-and-after? In your OP, you cited ease of play as an important factor. But that sounds really really incredible. Did the re-fret help create a better balance, tonewise, between the bass and treble?

    May I ask what picks-amps-strings you are using?
    Navdeep Singh.

  42. #41

    User Info Menu

    JD, Sounds great. Perhaps you have finally found the "one". Congrats. May this "one" inspire your playing for decades!
    _____________________________________________
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass

  43. #42

    User Info Menu

    As always, nice playing Joe ! Really love that sound !!

    Yes that instrument is in good hands !!

    Thanks Joe.

  44. #43

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    JD, Sounds great. Perhaps you have finally found the "one". Congrats. May this "one" inspire your playing for decades!
    Marco, This guitar clicks all the boxes for me. The JS pickup is very powerful. The acoustic sound is amazing, dimensions of the neck are perfect. The new frets are really luxurious to play. Yeah, the one..
    Joe D

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D View Post
    As always, nice playing Joe ! Really love that sound !!
    Yes that instrument is in good hands !!
    Thanks Joe.
    Thank you Dennis. Yeah, I really love the sound of this guitar.

  45. #44

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NSJ View Post
    Well, fucque!! Thanks for that. Those are amazing performances. I listened to all three.

    The bell-like clarity is off the charts good. Perfect balance between the bass and the higher frequencies, no excessive boom or mud--usually we sacrifice one for the other, in comparing the bottom end and the melody sounds. You are sacrificing nothing, here. The beauty of the playing just pours out.

    What are the concrete differences in terms of tone, before-and-after? In your OP, you cited ease of play as an important factor. But that sounds really really incredible. Did the re-fret help create a better balance, tonewise, between the bass and treble?

    May I ask what picks-amps-strings you are using?
    Thanks NSJ. The concrete difference in tone cant be limited to one thing. I feel the sustain is better. The notes are very clear all over the neck. No real difference in balance. Its just flat out easier to play. And a surprising by product is it actually sounds better. Better definition.
    I really appreciate the nice things you said. As we all know, making videos is time consuming and its very hard work. Once you put your work out there, you are stuck with it. It makes me very happy that I can do this stuff and not make a fool out of myself. At the same time, I give the site things that our fellow members can find useful.
    It is pleasure for me to do this.
    You guys are fantastic. Once again, thank you for making this a REALLY fulfilling experience.
    Joe DeNisco

  46. #45

    User Info Menu

    Sublime. Thank you, Joe!
    Best regards, k

  47. #46

    User Info Menu

    Wow, Joe! There seems to have been nothing but gains with the new frets. Clearer and better defined on the high end, but losing nothing in terms of warmth or richeness. The improved ease of playing is evident on the fast passges. Suh-weeet!
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

  48. #47

    User Info Menu

    Joe- the tone is off the charts !! Pure Johnny Smith sound - great playing.

    I think your search for tone is over. This guitar is the best GJS I've ever heard.

  49. #48

    User Info Menu

    You're starting to tick me off. You're giving me another bad case of GAS. I was over it, but the tone of that guitar brings it back. And GAS is a dangerous thing.

    But seriously, that is as good as I've ever heard a guitar sound. I have to confess to envy, a mortal sin, but I can't help it.

  50. #49

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by fws6 View Post
    We need new soundclips now !

    for all we know it sounds terrible after the refret.....
    uhhhhh..... okay........

    that sounds great !
    "Oh, those jazz guys are just making that stuff up!" - Homer

  51. #50

    User Info Menu

    Aaaawwwww sheeeeeeeeet Bubba...


    Big