The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 79

User Info Menu

I picked up the Guitar yesterday afternoon from Lark Street Music in Teaneck New Jersey.
    The luthier, by recommendation of our very own QAMan (yes the same guy I bought the guitar from) is Ian Davlin. Well known on instagram as @martinluthierking did an EXTRAORDINARY job. He didn't add a mark to this guitar. All he did was make it the absolute, without question, finest guitar I've ever put my hands on. Not only does it sound amazing, but it is now the best and easiest playing guitar I've ever played. Ian installed EVO Gold 47/104 wire. The wire has a very subtle tint of gold in it. Very elegant. The feel of the wire is very close to stainless. It adds definition to every note played. A guitar like the GJS acoustically, makes wonderful sound. These frets accentuate every note so that every note played is hi-lighted with a clearly defined ring. Bass notes are strong and deep yet quicker to respond than before. With these frets, the guitar sounds more like a baby grand piano. Playability of the guitar has increased to level of perfection. I played for 2 hours absolutely no hand fatigue at all. The guitar wants to be pushed now. 2 hours of effortless playing and not a single hint of fret buzz anywhere.
    I was afraid to do this and many of you recommended that I proceed. In retrospect, it was a brainer. Now, the GJS is the only guitar I will really ever need. It is my dream guitar. There is not a hint of disappointment with this guitar now. Everything about it is perfect. The best guitar I've ever touched.

Gibson Johnny Smith - New Frets-img_3741-jpgGibson Johnny Smith - New Frets-img_3744-jpgGibson Johnny Smith - New Frets-img_3749-jpgGibson Johnny Smith - New Frets-img_3751-jpg

Last edited by Max405; 03-26-2017 at 01:36 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very classy indeed !

User Info Menu

Well all-right!!! What a great looking fret job! Kudos to QAman for his good offices, and to you, Joe, for your patience, which will now be rewarded. Looking forward to hearing the beautiful music you will make with your dream guitar. Enjoy it in good health!

User Info Menu

The fretwork looks excellent, and it's really good to see such a fine guitar have such a successful outcome.

Proper fretwork contributes to the response from a neck, and the neck is very important for the whole guitar's sound.
    This is true even where a note is not fretted, as the fingerboard reacts to all string energy into the neck in very important ways, and the fret tang compression fit in its slot has an effect on the fingerboard's sound shaping. That fret job can make a better "soundboard" even for an open string.

I'd like to someday be able to get a GJS, and if I ever do I'd wish for it to be in the condition yours has now: Beautiful and set for life (or at least a very long stretch!)

John

User Info Menu

I'm so glad to hear it! (And can't wait to HEAR it.)

User Info Menu

Wow - that looks fantastic. Really happy for you that it didn't disappoint !

Enjoy it for a long time in good health Joe !

User Info Menu

Joe,
    The fret job looks magnificent and you have now optomized the potential of this guitar. Ian does fine work - he has over 20 years of fret installation experience, on both new and vintage instruments.

Most importantly - you are now able to play without fatigue that was caused by the increased fretting pressure needed against the flat frets.

Additionally, this is also valuable information for anyone else contemplating the replacement of Norlin period flat fret wire.

Thanks for taking the leap of faith and sharing your experience . Just remember - I am first in line should you ever decide to sell the guitar......but I doubt that will happen now.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I don't know/remember if there were nibs before but IMHO it's good they are gone now. I have never seen any advantage of nibs from the players point of view - and seasonal shrinking and swelling of an ebony fretboard can make the binding crack. Also, protruding frets are easy to fix without nibs whereas with nibs some minor surgery is involved.

User Info Menu

Now, doesn't that look nice? Doesn't that look NICE? The EVO GOLD takes it up more than a notch.

I am glad I chose FW9665 aka FW47104 EVO Gold for my 2 Roger Borys builds.

Play her in good health, Max405. That is tony minus the gaudy.

User Info Menu

I bet you are happy to have your baby back home. The EVO looks good with the gold hardware. I do not like them on guitars with nickel or chrome hadware. I think you chose the perfect size. The work looks first rate. Did you play any cool axes when you were in Buzzy's store? Talk about a temptation factory......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    I picked up the Guitar yesterday afternoon from Lark Street Music in Teaneck New Jersey.
    The luthier, by recommendation of our very own QAMan (yes the same guy I bought the guitar from) is Ian Davlin. Well known on instagram as @martinluthierking did an EXTRAORDINARY job. He didn't add a mark to this guitar. All he did was make it the absolute, without question, finest guitar I've ever put my hands on. Not only does it sound amazing, but it is now the best and easiest playing guitar I've ever played. Ian installed EVO Gold 47/104 wire. The wire has a very subtle tint of gold in it. Very elegant. The feel of the wire is very close to stainless. It adds definition to every note played. A guitar like the GJS acoustically, makes wonderful sound. These frets accentuate every note so that every note played is hi-lighted with a clearly defined ring. Bass notes are strong and deep yet quicker to respond than before. With these frets, the guitar sounds more like a baby grand piano. Playability of the guitar has increased to level of perfection. I played for 2 hours absolutely no hand fatigue at all. The guitar wants to be pushed now. 2 hours of effortless playing and not a single hint of fret buzz anywhere.
    I was afraid to do this and many of you recommended that I proceed. In retrospect, it was a brainer. Now, the GJS is the only guitar I will really ever need. It is my dream guitar. There is not a hint of disappointment with this guitar now. Everything about it is perfect. The best guitar I've ever touched.

Gibson Johnny Smith - New Frets-img_3741-jpgGibson Johnny Smith - New Frets-img_3744-jpgGibson Johnny Smith - New Frets-img_3749-jpgGibson Johnny Smith - New Frets-img_3751-jpg

Holey moley what an emphatic recommendation!

I was toying with getting one of my guitars refretted (it's passable to play because I was playing fingerstyle-but now I'm transitioning to pick-and-fingers, so the buzzes are becoming painfully obvious).

On such a strong recommendation, I'm going to get it refretted using those same frets. When I find the time (I'm back to working 80-90 hours a week )

My question to you is: would it make a difference if the guitar is a plywood guitar? I.e., is there better or optimal fret choices for carved vs plywood axes? (apologies for my ignorance if this is a silly question).

The guitar I am planning to get refretted is a Gibson Howard Roberts oval hole custom.

Thanks again!

User Info Menu

Gold frets & gold hardware make a guitar pop in an elegant sort of way! I ordered a Warmoth with the Jescar Gold Evo .047/.104" frets a few years ago, and I've since had all of my guitars frets replaced with them by a local fret wunderkind. I love that all of the fretboards are level and straight. The relief is set to "0" on the high "E" of my guitars. They all play like buddha with low action.
    Congratulations to you, and it sounds like the wait was worth it! Jeff
    Last edited by helios; 03-25-2017 at 03:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    Very classy indeed !
    Thanks MB!

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Well all-right!!! What a great looking fret job! Kudos to QAman for his good offices, and to you, Joe, for your patience, which will now be rewarded. Looking forward to hearing the beautiful music you will make with your dream guitar. Enjoy it in good health!
    when I brought in the guitar, Ian took it in his hands and said "oh my god, this is a 76? I thought it was a modern guitar." It's a beauty. I couldn't have asked for more.

Quote Originally Posted by john_a
    The fretwork looks excellent, and it's really good to see such a fine guitar have such a successful outcome.

Proper fretwork contributes to the response from a neck, and the neck is very important for the whole guitar's sound.
    This is true even where a note is not fretted, as the fingerboard reacts to all string energy into the neck in very important ways, and the fret tang compression fit in its slot has an effect on the fingerboard's sound shaping. That fret job can make a better "soundboard" even for an open string.

I'd like to someday be able to get a GJS, and if I ever do I'd wish for it to be in the condition yours has now: Beautiful and set for life (or at least a very long stretch!)

John
    John, you know, I thought I was imagining that. The open strings even sound better. I asked Ian to put the existing strings back on for 2 reasons, 1. Im cheap and they were only a month old, 2. I wanted to see if I actually heard a difference, taking new strings out of the equation. Open strings even sound better. It's amazing.
    I hope your GJS is a 41 year old brand new guitar too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    I'm so glad to hear it! (And can't wait to HEAR it.)
    thanks RythMman. I was gonna do a video, but I figured you guys are sick of hearing me play so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Wow - that looks fantastic. Really happy for you that it didn't disappoint
    Enjoy it for a long time in good health Joe !
    Dennis, I will buddy. The guitar absolutely blows me away every time I play it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Joe,
    The fret job looks magnificent and you have now optomized the potential of this guitar. Ian does fine work - he has over 20 years of fret installation experience, on both new and vintage instruments.
    Most importantly - you are now able to play without fatigue that was caused by the increased fretting pressure needed against the flat frets.
    Additionally, this is also valuable information for anyone else contemplating the replacement of Norlin period flat fret wire.
    Thanks for taking the leap of faith and sharing your experience . Just remember - I am first in line should you ever decide to sell the guitar......but I doubt that will happen.
    QAman, yes the fatigue is non existent. My thanks again to you and the gentleman, god rest his soul who kept this guitar in pristine shape for all those years. It's a shame he never played it much.
    And like I said when we talked yesterday.. it's yours in about 35 years. Bring a shovel with you..
    thanks bro.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    I don't know/remember if there were nibs before but IMHO it's good they are gone now. I have never seen any advantage of nibs from the players point of view - and seasonal shrinking and swelling of an ebony fretboard can make the binding crack. Also, protruding frets are easy to fix without nibs whereas with nibs some minor surgery is involved.
    OD, the nibs were there, but they were as low as the frets. I don't miss them But I do like them. I keep my guitars properly humidified so the neck never shrinks. I never had a binding crack on my watch. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Now, doesn't that look nice? Doesn't that look NICE? The EVO GOLD takes it up more than a notch.
    I am glad I chose FW9665 aka FW47104 EVO Gold for my 2 Roger Borys builds.
    Play her in good health, Max405. That is tony minus the gaudy.
    i think you are gonna love the frets Jabbs. They are elegant and purposeful. They are crazy good.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I bet you are happy to have your baby back home. The EVO looks good with the gold hardware. I do not like them on guitars with nickel or chrome hadware. I think you chose the perfect size. The work looks first rate. Did you play any cool axes when you were in Buzzy's store? Talk about a temptation factory......
    I didn't play anything at Lark. A couple of nice guitars caught my eye but it's a very small shop. If I was to play something in the shop, then I'd have a customers ass right in my face. The chair is like 5 feet from the counter. Very tight in there. I need to be comfortable when I play. Plus I don't think Buzzy likes me very much... thats ok.
    Yes I missed my Johnny. But BooBoo kept me very happy..

User Info Menu

Max, i'm happy for you! I'm looking forward to hearing it. And .... can you post a photo showing the whole guitar, i'm wondering how the golden frets look like in "the big picture".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    so happy the job was well done and with respect..lark st has been a top outfit for years
    enjoy joe D
    cheers
    gee, I would rather have seen the Julie Andrews surprise topless shot from Victor Victoria.. I've never been the same since! Thanks Neatomic.

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Holey moley what an emphatic recommendation!
    I was toying with getting one of my guitars refretted (it's passable to play because I was playing fingerstyle-but now I'm transitioning to pick-and-fingers, so the buzzes are becoming painfully obvious).
    On such a strong recommendation, I'm going to get it refretted using those same frets. When I find the time (I'm back to working 80-90 hours a week )
    My question to you is: would it make a difference if the guitar is a plywood guitar? I.e., is there better or optimal fret choices for carved vs plywood axes? (apologies for my ignorance if this is a silly question).
    The guitar I am planning to get refretted is a Gibson Howard Roberts oval hole custom.
    Thanks again!
    thanks NSJ. You know, that is a really good question. I suppose it would accentuate the sound of any guitar. These frets add definition. So the guitar would sound more complex.
    Sorry you are working so much. I hope it's a job that you enjoy.
    And THANK YOU for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    Gold frets & gold hardware make a guitar pop in an elegant sort of way! I ordered a Warmoth with the Jescar God Evo .047/.104" frets a few years ago, and I've since had all of my guitars frets replaced with them by a local fret wunderkind. I love that all of the fretbaords are level and straight. The relief is set to "0" on the high "E" of my guitars. They all play like buddha with low action.
    Congratulations to you, and it sounds like the wait was worth it! Jeff
    wow, that's cool. These frets are really all they are cracked up to be. Subtle but certain. Every note is defined.
    Thanks Helios!
    Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    We need new soundclips now !
    for all we know it sounds terrible after the refret.....
    ok.. let go of my arm... im working on it. I promise.
    Thanks guys.
    Joe D
    Last edited by Max405; 03-27-2017 at 09:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B
    So much truth here.

Looks like the fellow did a really clean job of it. Enjoy it.
    thanks Brian. He really did a great job for sure. Neat and tidy. No imperfections at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    Max, i'm happy for you! I'm looking forward to hearing it. And .... can you post a photo showing the whole guitar, i'm wondering how the golden frets look like in "the big picture".
    Thank you JazzNote! Ok I will post something pronto.

User Info Menu

Full body shots.
    Gibson Johnny Smith - New Frets-img_3757-jpgGibson Johnny Smith - New Frets-img_3756-jpgGibson Johnny Smith - New Frets-img_3759-jpg
    Posting pictures from a iPad is mega frustrating..
    Last edited by Max405; 03-25-2017 at 04:59 PM.

User Info Menu

What do you like better bro ? L5 or JS neck. The JS has a very flat fretboard just like a Super 400 has.
    Also do you like 25x1-3/4 or 25.5x1-11/16 better ?.......just wondering. AAA+++ fret job ! Congrats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    What do you like better bro ? L5 or JS neck. The JS has a very flat fretboard just like a Super 400 has.
    Also do you like 25x1-3/4 or 25.5x1-11/16 better ?.......just wondering. AAA+++ fret job ! Congrats.
    its hard to say. This now FEELS like an L5 neck. Just a hair shallower. Honestly, I don't notice the nut width but I do notice the scale difference. I play anything I know on either but the 25" is easier to navigate.
    Now I know why you like the Wine L5. These frets really add definition. They should call them 3D Gold frets.
    Thanks for convincing me that it was the right thing to do. As usual, you were right..
    JD

User Info Menu

Not sure this size question had been answered, ( and sorry if it was ), but relative to a standard WesMo fretwire, is this wire larger, wider, the same ? I am guessing the material is different, just not sure about the size.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

I think this is a close as you will come to modern day Wes wire.
    Gibson installs them standard on at least one brand new Wine L5 Wes that know of.

User Info Menu

I think you have the cleanest JS in the world bro. Hard to believe it is 41. Gorgeous.

Matt Cushman made me a guitar a lot like a JS around 2005. It was 25 inch scale. 1/2 makes a big difference. Really nice to play.
    For me sometimes 25.5 feels a little long and 24.75 a little short. Too bad Gibson doesn't make the JS anymore.
    The LeGrand has the same L5 neck spec plus they carve them too thin or at least the one I had.

User Info Menu

Congratulations Joe.

You are someone who is keeping the Johnny Smith flame burning by playing his classic tunes his way, with his sound, now on "his" guitar. The frets look so nice. I've adjusted to the skinny frets on my VOS1959 ES175 without much problem, but I definitely prefer the more modern type of frets.

No "hint of gold" about these frets. They just dazzle with the gold hardware and set the whole guitar on fire!

I enjoy your utter delight in this good outcome with this superb guitar, which couldn't have a better curator than you!