The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 79 of 79

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    The guitar is important, but it's 98% the guitarist from the audience perspective. You would sound great with a Gibson Melody Maker.

The guitar makes a bigger difference to the player than the listener. Holding and playing the instrument can be a wonderful, transcending experience.
    Well said and, IMHO, absolutely on target. It's the musician.

Tony D.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Both MG and Joe are correct. The musician makes the music. However, the instrument inspires the musician.

User Info Menu

Totally Agree.
    However, my materialistic ass really enjoys looking down seeing a nice "dream" guitar on my lap. It makes me play better.
    And I will stand by this until the end. There are multiple reasons the high end stuff became and continues to be high end. The 1st time I picked up and then played an L5, I thought I died and went to heaven.

I can pretty much be smitten with any guitar if I spend enough time with it. But - Rattles, Creaky pickguards, Electrical noise and inconsistently bad intonation are the things that push me away from certain guitars, and affect the quality of music I can make with them.

User Info Menu

I am in complete agreement with Joe, here. What I really like is consistent intonation up and down the neck and from string to string. Also, I like the dynamic response--volume and attack--to be the same from string to string and up and down the neck. Tone, too.

To me, a really good Johnny Smith is almost unbeatable in these regards. This will pull the very best playing out of you.