The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 79

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Full body shots.
    Posting pictures from a iPad is mega frustrating..
    Thanks for posting the pics, you did a very good job! Yes, the subtle gold makes it look even better than before.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I think you have the cleanest JS in the world bro. Hard to believe it is 41. Gorgeous.
    Matt Cushman made me a guitar a lot like a JS around 2005. It was 25 inch scale. 1/2 makes a big difference. Really nice to play.
    For me sometimes 25.5 feels a little long and 24.75 a little short. Too bad Gibson doesn't make the JS anymore.
    The LeGrand has the same L5 neck spec plus they carve them too thin or at least the one I had.
    i think the original owner has passed away. God, I would like to have thanked him. Think about it, you guys have heard me rave about this guitar more than enough. Can you imagine someone having this for 40 years and every time he played it, he wiped it down and placed it back in the case. Kept it brand new for 40 years. I am crazy lucky. I will keep it for as long as I can and it will make nice music and my son will have it after me and it will be as old as my DA excel was.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Congratulations Joe.

You are someone who is keeping the Johnny Smith flame burning by playing his classic tunes his way, with his sound, now on "his" guitar. The frets look so nice. I've adjusted to the skinny frets on my VOS1959 ES175 without much problem, but I definitely prefer the more modern type of frets.
    No "hint of gold" about these frets. They just dazzle with the gold hardware and set the whole guitar on fire!
    I enjoy your utter delight in this good outcome with this superb guitar, which couldn't have a better curator than you!
    thank you so much Lawson. It's important to me to keep the legends alive.
    Its been a great week for us. Your L5 is one of the prettiest guitars ever. We are lucky guys. Thanks bro.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    Thanks for posting the pics, you did a very good job! Yes, the subtle gold makes it look even better than before.
    you got it buddy, and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    Incredible guitar. Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you sir. It was my pleasure.

User Info Menu

It's no Hofner Chancellor, but it looks OK.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    I was sweating bullets fearing something might go wrong (shop fire, dirty bomb, etc.). I'm thrilled you got what you want, Joe. You deserve it.
    MG, I've been meaning to reach out to you. I will in the next couple of days.
    Yes, this guitar is now exactly I what was hoping for. But, as humans, we will never stop chasing. But as far as finding the best guitar for the stuff I play the most, how ironic is it that the "Johnny" is the one..
    Now I can relax and be patient. Thanks for being happy for me bud.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    It's no Hofner Chancellor, but it looks OK.
    Ha! You know, in my life, I need to branch out and curl up with one of these Chancellor's for a while. But I am afraid that it might change my perspective a bit and send me into another tail spin. That's the last thing I need..

User Info Menu

Remember the Tal Farlow song......Gibson Boy.

User Info Menu

Well, I'm glad it's over. I'd be afraid to touch it, the pictures alone scare me. Have fun and enjoy! How loud is it acoustically? I played a 68 and found the neck block and top thickness made it quieter than I expected. It did sound good, just not really loud. I'd like to compare one to the Guild version one day.

User Info Menu

Cavalier, Naaa.. I touched the heck of it this morning. Here are 3 new videos.

Thanks everyone!

Joe D

User Info Menu

Well, fucque!! Thanks for that. Those are amazing performances. I listened to all three.

The bell-like clarity is off the charts good. Perfect balance between the bass and the higher frequencies, no excessive boom or mud--usually we sacrifice one for the other, in comparing the bottom end and the melody sounds. You are sacrificing nothing, here. The beauty of the playing just pours out.

What are the concrete differences in terms of tone, before-and-after? In your OP, you cited ease of play as an important factor. But that sounds really really incredible. Did the re-fret help create a better balance, tonewise, between the bass and treble?

May I ask what picks-amps-strings you are using?

User Info Menu

JD, Sounds great. Perhaps you have finally found the "one". Congrats. May this "one" inspire your playing for decades!

User Info Menu

As always, nice playing Joe ! Really love that sound !!

Yes that instrument is in good hands !!

Thanks Joe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    JD, Sounds great. Perhaps you have finally found the "one". Congrats. May this "one" inspire your playing for decades!
    Marco, This guitar clicks all the boxes for me. The JS pickup is very powerful. The acoustic sound is amazing, dimensions of the neck are perfect. The new frets are really luxurious to play. Yeah, the one..
    Joe D

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    As always, nice playing Joe ! Really love that sound !!
    Yes that instrument is in good hands !!
    Thanks Joe.
    Thank you Dennis. Yeah, I really love the sound of this guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Well, fucque!! Thanks for that. Those are amazing performances. I listened to all three.

The bell-like clarity is off the charts good. Perfect balance between the bass and the higher frequencies, no excessive boom or mud--usually we sacrifice one for the other, in comparing the bottom end and the melody sounds. You are sacrificing nothing, here. The beauty of the playing just pours out.

What are the concrete differences in terms of tone, before-and-after? In your OP, you cited ease of play as an important factor. But that sounds really really incredible. Did the re-fret help create a better balance, tonewise, between the bass and treble?

May I ask what picks-amps-strings you are using?
    Thanks NSJ. The concrete difference in tone cant be limited to one thing. I feel the sustain is better. The notes are very clear all over the neck. No real difference in balance. Its just flat out easier to play. And a surprising by product is it actually sounds better. Better definition.
    I really appreciate the nice things you said. As we all know, making videos is time consuming and its very hard work. Once you put your work out there, you are stuck with it. It makes me very happy that I can do this stuff and not make a fool out of myself. At the same time, I give the site things that our fellow members can find useful.
    It is pleasure for me to do this.
    You guys are fantastic. Once again, thank you for making this a REALLY fulfilling experience.
    Joe DeNisco

User Info Menu

Sublime. Thank you, Joe!

User Info Menu

Wow, Joe! There seems to have been nothing but gains with the new frets. Clearer and better defined on the high end, but losing nothing in terms of warmth or richeness. The improved ease of playing is evident on the fast passges. Suh-weeet!

User Info Menu

Joe- the tone is off the charts !! Pure Johnny Smith sound - great playing.

I think your search for tone is over. This guitar is the best GJS I've ever heard.

User Info Menu

You're starting to tick me off. You're giving me another bad case of GAS. I was over it, but the tone of that guitar brings it back. And GAS is a dangerous thing.

But seriously, that is as good as I've ever heard a guitar sound. I have to confess to envy, a mortal sin, but I can't help it.

User Info Menu

Joe... I'm not just being flattering here... listening to "Around Midnight" I could close my eyes and seriously imagine I was listening to Johnny Smith.

You mentioned once your dad repeated stressed to you about Johnny Smith and Joe Pass. I hope he feels vindicating hearing his son play the performances of the Great Ones.

User Info Menu

There are two GJSs at Lark Street Music, a '68 and a '69, calling out to me like a siren song, tempting me with madness...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Sublime. Thank you, Joe!
    Thank you C74.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Wow, Joe! There seems to have been nothing but gains with the new frets. Clearer and better defined on the high end, but losing nothing in terms of warmth or richeness. The improved ease of playing is evident on the fast passges. Suh-weeet!
    Cunamara, you are absolutely right. The hand slides up and down the fret board as smoothly as the did with the zero frets. The difference, the force needed to produce note is about half what it was. And it sounds better.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Joe- the tone is off the charts !! Pure Johnny Smith sound - great playing.
    I think your search for tone is over. This guitar is the best GJS I've ever heard.
    oh yeah! You can hear it right? You spent some time with the guitar. So you would know more than anyone. Someone said open notes sound better with a fret job. I TOTALLY agree. I thought I was imagining things. But it's true. And this guitar is right when tuned to the drop D.
    Thanks again SL.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Joe... I'm not just being flattering here... listening to "Around Midnight" I could close my eyes and seriously imagine I was listening to Johnny Smith.
    You mentioned once your dad repeated stressed to you about Johnny Smith and Joe Pass. I hope he feels vindicating hearing his son play the performances of the Great Ones.
    hey Lawson, my father thought the world of both JS and JP. His boyhood friend (Vinny C) and my grammar school guidance counselor (Mr McLean) and my father would go see JS at the Birdland before I was born. After shows, they would talk about hunting and fishing. Mr. McLean played trumpet on that very stage with Johnny.
    Destiny? Maybe.
    My fathers been gone for a few years now. I play a lot of this stuff for him. That's why I keep learning. He always told me not to digress..
    thanks Lawson.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    There are two GJSs at Lark Street Music, a '68 and a '69, calling out to me like a siren song, tempting me with madness...
    Jabbs, they are pre norlin, so Helen Keller didn't scrape the bindings like she did on mine. But they are not in very good cosmetic shape. I think they've been there for a while. So Smiley might be looking to deal..

User Info Menu

Joe.
    nice job on 'Round Midnight, the JGS sounds superb, well worth
    the agony of the refret. I also accidentally pulled up your 2013
    vid on the 135 playing Misty, which sounded very nice indeed
    very well done my friend, long may you regale us with these
    exquisite renditions.

Alan

User Info Menu

After a long long time i finally decided to go for new frets for my 76 GJS too. I went to get the guitar today, after less than a week and have to say i'm very very pleased with the result. Better sound & more comfortable playability with evo FW 9665 frets. My luthier did a great job and i'm as happy as can be :-). Thanks to the ones who inpired this!!!!!

Gibson Johnny Smith - New Frets-img_0322-jpg

User Info Menu

JazzNote,
    I am glad you got the frets done. Those Evo Gold frets will last you 2 lifetimes.
    I really miss not having a Gibson Johnny Smith. I think it is one of the best guitars ever made. The guitar of a lifetime.
    Enjoy yours. Never let go.
    Joe D
    Last edited by Max405; 05-23-2019 at 04:31 AM.

User Info Menu

Old thread, I know...

I find this very interesting, as I took my old #1 tele to Lark Street last year for a re-fret, and they called me a week later and gave it back to me... they didn't want to touch it. WTH? I had heard they do amazing luthier work, that's why I went there. All it was was a '93 MIA tele with a maple neck... I can't figure out why they didn't want to do it??? I didn't even want a refinish job on it, just pull the frets and put in new ones, leave the neck looking as old as the rest of the guitar....

Ended up taking it to Oldschool Guitar Repair in Hopewell, NJ. Curt Wilson does fantastic work, and is a great hang as well. He's a buddy from the Grestch Discussion Pages.