Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 51 to 66 of 66
  1. #51

    User Info Menu

    Joe... I'm not just being flattering here... listening to "Around Midnight" I could close my eyes and seriously imagine I was listening to Johnny Smith.

    You mentioned once your dad repeated stressed to you about Johnny Smith and Joe Pass. I hope he feels vindicating hearing his son play the performances of the Great Ones.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #52

    User Info Menu

    There are two GJSs at Lark Street Music, a '68 and a '69, calling out to me like a siren song, tempting me with madness...
    Great Deals with Great Folks: max52 (Guild-Benedetto Artist Award); prickards (Ribbecke GC Halfling); Cincy2 (Comins Concert)

  4. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74 View Post
    Sublime. Thank you, Joe!
    Thank you C74.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara View Post
    Wow, Joe! There seems to have been nothing but gains with the new frets. Clearer and better defined on the high end, but losing nothing in terms of warmth or richeness. The improved ease of playing is evident on the fast passges. Suh-weeet!
    Cunamara, you are absolutely right. The hand slides up and down the fret board as smoothly as the did with the zero frets. The difference, the force needed to produce note is about half what it was. And it sounds better.
    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by QAman View Post
    Joe- the tone is off the charts !! Pure Johnny Smith sound - great playing.
    I think your search for tone is over. This guitar is the best GJS I've ever heard.
    oh yeah! You can hear it right? You spent some time with the guitar. So you would know more than anyone. Someone said open notes sound better with a fret job. I TOTALLY agree. I thought I was imagining things. But it's true. And this guitar is right when tuned to the drop D.
    Thanks again SL.

  5. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    You're starting to tick me off. You're giving me another bad case of GAS. I was over it, but the tone of that guitar brings it back. And GAS is a dangerous thing.
    But seriously, that is as good as I've ever heard a guitar sound. I have to confess to envy, a mortal sin, but I can't help it.
    thank you Sgosnell. The sound of the Johnny Smith Guitar.. it now has a ring to it!
    Thanks buddy.

    Quote Originally Posted by fws6 View Post
    uhhhhh..... okay........
    that sounds great !
    thank you fws6. That's my baby right there. I appreciate it.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ View Post
    Aaaawwwww sheeeeeeeeet Bubba...
    Big
    Mikey, it means a lot to me that you are here bro. I just havin fun, just like you Mikey.
    Thanks buddy.

  6. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    Joe... I'm not just being flattering here... listening to "Around Midnight" I could close my eyes and seriously imagine I was listening to Johnny Smith.
    You mentioned once your dad repeated stressed to you about Johnny Smith and Joe Pass. I hope he feels vindicating hearing his son play the performances of the Great Ones.
    hey Lawson, my father thought the world of both JS and JP. His boyhood friend (Vinny C) and my grammar school guidance counselor (Mr McLean) and my father would go see JS at the Birdland before I was born. After shows, they would talk about hunting and fishing. Mr. McLean played trumpet on that very stage with Johnny.
    Destiny? Maybe.
    My fathers been gone for a few years now. I play a lot of this stuff for him. That's why I keep learning. He always told me not to digress..
    thanks Lawson.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    There are two GJSs at Lark Street Music, a '68 and a '69, calling out to me like a siren song, tempting me with madness...
    Jabbs, they are pre norlin, so Helen Keller didn't scrape the bindings like she did on mine. But they are not in very good cosmetic shape. I think they've been there for a while. So Smiley might be looking to deal..

  7. #56

    User Info Menu

    Joe.
    nice job on 'Round Midnight, the JGS sounds superb, well worth
    the agony of the refret. I also accidentally pulled up your 2013
    vid on the 135 playing Misty, which sounded very nice indeed
    very well done my friend, long may you regale us with these
    exquisite renditions.

    Alan

  8. #57

    User Info Menu

    Keep the flame burning, Joe.

    Great guitar, great playing.

  9. #58

    User Info Menu

    After a long long time i finally decided to go for new frets for my 76 GJS too. I went to get the guitar today, after less than a week and have to say i'm very very pleased with the result. Better sound & more comfortable playability with evo FW 9665 frets. My luthier did a great job and i'm as happy as can be :-). Thanks to the ones who inpired this!!!!!

    Gibson Johnny Smith - New Frets!!! Now with Videos..-img_0322-jpg
    _________
    JazzNote

  10. #59
    JazzNote,
    I am glad you got the frets done. Those Evo Gold frets will last you 2 lifetimes.
    I really miss not having a Gibson Johnny Smith. I think it is one of the best guitars ever made. The guitar of a lifetime.
    Enjoy yours. Never let go.
    Joe D
    Last edited by Max405; 05-23-2019 at 04:31 AM.

  11. #60

    User Info Menu

    Old thread, I know...

    I find this very interesting, as I took my old #1 tele to Lark Street last year for a re-fret, and they called me a week later and gave it back to me... they didn't want to touch it. WTH? I had heard they do amazing luthier work, that's why I went there. All it was was a '93 MIA tele with a maple neck... I can't figure out why they didn't want to do it??? I didn't even want a refinish job on it, just pull the frets and put in new ones, leave the neck looking as old as the rest of the guitar....

    Ended up taking it to Oldschool Guitar Repair in Hopewell, NJ. Curt Wilson does fantastic work, and is a great hang as well. He's a buddy from the Grestch Discussion Pages.

  12. #61
    ruger9,
    Im sorry to hear this. I feel partly responsible because raved about the job that Ian did. Im sorry man.
    Did it even get back to the tech? Or did smiley at the front desk reject it immediately?
    JD

  13. #62

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
    Old thread, I know...

    I find this very interesting, as I took my old #1 tele to Lark Street last year for a re-fret, and they called me a week later and gave it back to me... they didn't want to touch it. WTH? I had heard they do amazing luthier work, that's why I went there. All it was was a '93 MIA tele with a maple neck... I can't figure out why they didn't want to do it??? I didn't even want a refinish job on it, just pull the frets and put in new ones, leave the neck looking as old as the rest of the guitar....

    Ended up taking it to Oldschool Guitar Repair in Hopewell, NJ. Curt Wilson does fantastic work, and is a great hang as well. He's a buddy from the Grestch Discussion Pages.
    I'm sure you asked them "why", what was their response? They had to say something.

  14. #63

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    ruger9,
    Im sorry to hear this. I feel partly responsible because raved about the job that Ian did. Im sorry man.
    Did it even get back to the tech? Or did smiley at the front desk reject it immediately?
    JD
    I dropped it off, talked to both the owner (Duke Levine's brother, I can't remember his name now) and some kid who worked there. They had it a week, called me and said "come get it, we don't want to do it"... it's an hour drive for me... I was very surprised. I have heard nothing but RAVES about Lark Street for years. I didn't make any unusual requests.... I just wanted a refret with the same fret wire. They really couldn't explain to me why they wouldn't/didn't want to do it, it was very weird.

  15. #64

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66 View Post
    I'm sure you asked them "why", what was their response? They had to say something.
    It was weird. They hemmed and hawed, I never got a real explanation, they seemed wary of attempting a refret on a maple board... maybe THE KID was in training and HE didn't want to do it? IDK, but it was bad business on their part- turned me off of Lark Street FOREVER (for luthier work, if I'm ever looking for vintage pieces, I'll still go there). They seemed to be willing to level/crown it, but wouldn't do a refret.

    When I took it to my Gretsch luthier buddy, he said "no problem." And it was indeed no problem. Fantastic job. No damage (other than the relicing I've done over 25 years LOL). Couldn't be happier.

  16. #65

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
    I dropped it off, talked to both the owner (Duke Levine's brother, I can't remember his name now) and some kid who worked there. They had it a week, called me and said "come get it, we don't want to do it"... it's an hour drive for me... I was very surprised. I have heard nothing but RAVES about Lark Street for years. I didn't make any unusual requests.... I just wanted a refret with the same fret wire. They really couldn't explain to me why they wouldn't/didn't want to do it, it was very weird.
    The owners name is Buzzy.

  17. #66
    I cant comment on why they didn't want to do the fret job for you. I can say it is kind of messed up that they took your guitar and held it for a week and then had you drive an hour back to the store to come and get it with nothing done to it. I would have been pissed and I probably would have broke something that they would have had to fix when I left..

    I have been getting work done at the Sam Ash store in Springfield NJ. The tech there is Brian and is a GREAT guy. His prices are extremely reasonable and he does really nice work. If you go there, tell him I sent you. If he promises you something, he does it. He is a real stand up guy. The whole store is top notch. Brian is a young guy who will set up your nice Jazz guitar exactly the way you want it. If you want it made into a shredder, believe me, he will do it.

    Joe D