The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    Les Pauls make good jazz guits, hell yeah.

You really want to trip out? Blew my mind a few years ago when I found this old vid of a young Joe Pass tearing it up on -- you guessed it -- a Jazzmaster.

Doesn't seem to have much richness to the sound, but it still works -- still gets the job done.

That's a jag. From what I can see with the limited video quality, Joe is making intelligent use of the extra short scale and strapped the biggest strings he could find on the thing.

I'm constantly amazed at the tonal versatility of the jag. In my eyes it bests a jazzmaster, LP, tele and sits on par with a strat with relative ease, but jazzes harder than a strat ever could where the strat covers other ground better. Some jags that I've played just had some kind of "thing" to them, a very niche but none the less beautiful "modular" kind of thing to play. That aside, I'm yet to throw a big set of 15s on one to see what they're really capable of with my own ears.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

ulf wakenius les paul is bolt on neck guitar !!!! his main guitar for jazz .... i have several video concert where he plays this guitar and i can't believe it's a bolt on guitar ! hahaha
    my r9 is my main and great jazz guitar ...

User Info Menu

wasn't it supposed to be a $100 aria les paul bolt on copy? Really cheap guitar with a great sound? These oscar peterson group videos remind me of Ulf's interviews about that gig, where he mentions that they almost never rehearsed, had no set lists or set programs, and he just caught on on what oscar peterson was playing at every gig!

User Info Menu

What a fun video! I think i've read that Benson used to play a Les Paul guitar in his early days with Mc Duff? Can't really tell from the video. He's like 21 in this video..

User Info Menu

Yes. Sounds great, doesn't it?

User Info Menu

in 1964..few electric guitars looked like a LP...this one seems to have a trapese tail and it looks like humbuckers...so it could be an upgraded 50's model...

but whatever it is..Benson plays the hell out of it...

User Info Menu

As long as it has strings... he rips here with an 80s shred machine, and Mark Whitfield dancing behind him.. Ritchie Hart would tell me stories of Benson burning down the house on gigs where he would go on stage to jam and just scat solos, without even a guitar..

User Info Menu

Benson joined McDuff in 1963. It was his first break. Benson was still basically an r&b guitarist, dreaming of the high standard of his predecessors in McDuff’s group, Grant Green, Eddie Diehl and Kenny Burrell, but as McDuff would soon acknowledge, a ‘baaaaaad’ picker. Benson slowly but surely developed into a jazz player, absorbing the music of Art Blakey’s Jazz Messengers on the road, who traveled the same circuit. Plenty time to learn, because McDuff’s quartet was playing nightly for two years time around the East Coast and Mid-West.

By 1964, the group fired on all cylinders. McDuff and Joe Dukes were excellent teachers but tough customers. McDuff regularly shouted obscenities to Benson on stage, ‘if he had just the right (or wrong) amount of booze or weed.’ Joe Dukes, ‘such a magnificent drummer that there were times I thought he was one of the greatest things that ever happened to mankind’ was especially hard on the 19-year old prodigy, who alledgedly picked up too many girls for the taste of the envious drummer.

“Finally, after a particularly nasty rant, I snapped: ‘If y’all don’t lay off, I’m gonna take y’all outside and beat y’all old men up! I’m nineteen years old! Y’all can’t take me! We’re going out in the alley, right now! McDuff and Dukes just stared at me for a second, then they both pulled out switchblades. But that didn’t stop me: “I don’t care! Y’all don’t scare me! Bring your switchblades into the alley! I’ll beat y’all up anyhow!” Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed: nobody went into the alley, and nobody got beaten up. But it got them off my back.”

from-True Grit | FLOPHOUSE

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    in 1964..few electric guitars looked like a LP...this one seems to have a trapese tail and it looks like humbuckers...so it could be an upgraded 50's model...

but whatever it is..Benson plays the hell out of it...
    Possibly a Bigsby or a Vibrola?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Possibly a Bigsby or a Vibrola?
    bigsby!

cheers

User Info Menu

'60 flametop.

Quick story told to me by a sax player friend who toured w Mcduff later.
    Said Jack was always behind in paying the band and regularly blew their $ on gambling and women.
    They had to steal food from the market to eat. Jack would become furious when they got to a new town and saw marqee....jack mcduff quartet featuring JOE DUKES ON DRUMS or so it seemed so bold.
    Sax player had enough and decided to quit during a break on a gig, but his horn was in the club and Jack was outside. He tried to retrieve it but said Jack hit him so hard, it was the first time he knew what "seeing stars" meant.
    You didn't want to get on Jack's bad side.
    Last edited by wintermoon; 02-07-2020 at 02:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Related story....
    Another friend, the drummer in that band who idolized Dukes wound up taking his place when Jack fired him for excessive boozing.
    He said they got to a new town and as he was setting up his drums a loud mouth patron kept harrassing him the entire time, saying he was gonna play that night, it was his gig.
    After not being able to take the harrassment anymore he turned around to punch him and realized at the last second it was a drunk Dukes!