The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 91 of 91

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oneofthe
    I currently have a Roland Blues Cube, can anyone please offer thoughts on that?

I'm new to Jazz and my Blues Cube may not be ideal for my Epiphone ES 175

Thanks.
    What model is your Blues Cube? I have a BC Stage and, besides light and bedroom-friendly, it's capable of great cleans. A couple examples:

Last edited by Fidelcaster; 03-24-2017 at 06:18 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Blues Cube as heavy as a Fender Princeton Reverb (15kg). Which may be light or heavy depending on whether you schlepp gear on public transport and/or live in a top floor flat...

But Roland... Yes. I actually really like Roland amps, even the cheapo Cubes sound pretty good, and I think the JC series are great for jazzers. But JC-40 is still as heavy as a blues cube!

I play a regular gig where it's a bit tricky to set up a guitar amp, so I just plug into a Roland keys amp. Apart from the lack of reverb (which I don't mind so much for swing & straightahead) it sounds good. But those things weigh a ton!

So Roland - great amps, but not the lightest.

User Info Menu

My BC Stage weighs 14kg, the smaller (and different sounding) BC Hot is lighter, and the bigger BC Artist models (1x12" or 2X12") are of course heavier.
    Last edited by Fidelcaster; 03-24-2017 at 06:42 AM.

User Info Menu

It's a shame DV Mark don't seem to have their shit together so much with the Little Jazz.

Mark bass amps are practically industry standard.

Has anyone played the DV Mark head? You could pair it with a lightweight cab?

Other options (with my comments if I've tried them)

- Matrix Elements Vintage British 800
    - Vox MV30 Clean (nice idea if it works and cheap)
    - BluGuitar AMP1 - great gain sounds, clean sounds very lacklustre
    - Quilter - I know at least one Pro who uses the Aviator. They seem to have changed their range recently

User Info Menu

Just spotted your comment about fitting the Bare Knuckle 'Manhatten' to the excellent AFJ95. I have pondered this exact move/replacement for some time now but could not find any clips. Any chance that you might have recorded somethign with the new p/u in place?

Thanks.

David

User Info Menu

With the cheapo MV50, there's a spot where this guy actually demos the CLEAN sound of the amp for an EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME. Imagine that.

I think it sounds pretty nice if it can handle a jazz gig volume wise.

<br>

He uses an archtop from around 27'

I might give one a go...

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Blues Cube as heavy as a Fender Princeton Reverb (15kg). Which may be light or heavy depending on whether you schlepp gear on public transport and/or live in a top floor flat...

But Roland... Yes. I actually really like Roland amps, even the cheapo Cubes sound pretty good, and I think the JC series are great for jazzers. But JC-40 is still as heavy as a blues cube!

I play a regular gig where it's a bit tricky to set up a guitar amp, so I just plug into a Roland keys amp. Apart from the lack of reverb (which I don't mind so much for swing & straightahead) it sounds good. But those things weigh a ton!

So Roland - great amps, but not the lightest.
    Tonewise - from my limited experience - the Cube 60 is still my favorite; and with an extension cab works super. And it's light and sturdy... just needs a proper input jack. 2 hooked together also produce quite a great sound

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    It's a shame DV Mark don't seem to have their shit together so much with the Little Jazz.

Mark bass amps are practically industry standard.

Has anyone played the DV Mark head? You could pair it with a lightweight cab?

Other options (with my comments if I've tried them)

- Matrix Elements Vintage British 800
    - Vox MV30 Clean (nice idea if it works and cheap)
    - BluGuitar AMP1 - great gain sounds, clean sounds very lacklustre
    - Quilter - I know at least one Pro who uses the Aviator. They seem to have changed their range recently
    Lawson-Stone, here at the forum, uses a DV Mark head. Check the Raney study-group, he posted something there with that setup.

About the Little Jazz, from everything I hear online, this is the amp that sounds consistently great across all samples, with a wonderful jazzy tone. Main concern seems to have been the noise coming from the fan - on the first generation of these amps.
    The current ones don't have the fan grill in the back and I *think* the problem may have been solved.

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcat
    Just spotted your comment about fitting the Bare Knuckle 'Manhatten' to the excellent AFJ95. I have pondered this exact move/replacement for some time now but could not find any clips. Any chance that you might have recorded somethign with the new p/u in place?

Thanks.

David
    Hey David, i have just this small comparison video, a short line in slo-mo, with 4 of my guitars. All recorded with tone at 4 and volume at 7,5 if I'm not mistaken. They're going through a Roland Cube 60 but the sound goes direct to my mixer from the line out.

If you love your AFJ95, man, go with this pickup It sounds incredible live (and here I have plenty to compare with). Works wonderfully in a band context with your sound cutting nicely - and it's the one single pickup that makes really like my Fender HotRod Deluxe! This is quality stuff and it's very evident from the first note you play. No noise ..

Just one thing: if you like to use both pickups I'd go with the pair. I just swapped the neck pickup and when working together with the original one on the bridge there's a significant loss of volume... may have been something on the connections, but still...

I like it so much I'm considering adding this same pikup to several of my other guitars ... a Gibson SG probably going next

I may record something soon with it, and in that case I'll let you know.

joaopaz Guest
    While I haven't closed the subject completely - here's the first result of this thread

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDowning
    Anyone had similar experiences using something like a Sans Amp from Tech 21 into a PA? It looks like its a flexible sett up - say one Mackie 350 and a Sans Amp or two 350s up on stands for bigger venues. If you are using a traditional amp that gets mic'd up and then relayed through the PA isn't that the same?
    I'm late to this thread, and I know the OP has a Polytone on its way by now. But others may be interested, so anyway: I have a Sansamp Paradriver DI which is an extremely flexible kind of musical "swiss knife". Because of the very wide adjustment range, it's also quite temperamental and it takes a while to get the hang of. It's easy to have it sound really awful. A small turn of a knob makes a big difference in sound. It can add an ever so slight coloring or a madly wild distortion. I used it for some time with an AI head (which for all practical purposes is a PA amp with a very neutral characteristic) and a Redstone 10 cabinet. Sounds very nice. The Sansamp Paradriver DI also works very well with PAs and with powered speakers. It even sounds OK with an ultra cheap Behringer Mackie 150 clone I have. It has both jack and XLR in output, so it's easy to go straight into a PA and one can place it far from the PA (for example on ones music stand) with a long XLR cable without introducing a lot of noise. It can be Phantom powered, and AI heads and most PA boards provide that so they are a good match to avoid an extra power cable (I hate those flimsy 9V cables) - but I find the noise/hiss level a little higher than with a wall wart or batteries. Baggs has a pedal working much the same way. Another option could be a BarbEQ pedal (intended by the maker to enter some Fender vibe to a more neutral sound) but it's much less flexible than the paradriver. The Empress ParaEQ is a great EQ pedal but it does nothing but EQ, and IMHO it's too neutral to be used alone with a PA, a PA like amp or a powered speaker.

Now I mostly use a Mambo 8 Wedge - mostly for the simplicity, convenience and low weight and bulk, though it's also a very good sounding amp which doesn't need any pedals in front. Easy to carry around even with public transport, easy to tuck away behind a couch when not in use. The Mambo is a very good choice for the sound I think the OP is after, but it's a one trick pony (designed as such). I think Joe Pass would have like it. It's not the amp to bring for the R&R jam - at least not without pedals in front (hey, the Paradriver could come in handy here).
    Last edited by oldane; 03-28-2017 at 11:41 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    The "guy playing" is Dutchbopper and he is miles beyond just good. Most members wouldn't notice or care if he performed in boxers and clogs. Don't look, listen.
    Dutchbopper...Wow!

Superb tone, sweet playing... Liking that Mambo!

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    I'm late to this thread, and I know the OP has a Polytone on its way by now. But others may be interested, so anyway: I have a Sansamp Paradriver DI which is an extremely flexible kind of musical "swiss knife". Because of the very wide adjustment range, it's also quite temperamental and it takes a while to get the hang of. It's easy to have it sound really awful. A small turn of a knob makes a big difference in sound. It can add an ever so slight coloring or a madly wild distortion. I used it for some time with an AI head (which or all practical purposes is a PA amp with a very neutral characteristic) and a Redstone 10 cabinet. Sounds very nice. The Sansamp Paradriver DI also works very well with PAs and with powered speakers. It even sounds OK with an ultra cheap Behringer Mackie 150 clone I have. It has both jack and XLR in output, so it's easy to go straight into a PA and one can place it far from the PA (for example on ones music stand) with a long XLR cable without introducing a lot of noise. It can be Phantom powered, but I find the noise/hiss level a little lower with a wall wart or batteries. Baggs has a pedal working much the same way. Another option could be a BarbEQ pedal (intended by the maker to enter some Fender vibe to a more neutral sound) but it's much less flexible than the paradriver. The Empress ParaEQ is a great EQ pedal but it does nothing but EQ, and IMHO it's too neutral to be used alone with a PA, a PA like amp or a powered speaker.

Now I mostly use a Mambo 8 Wedge - mostly for the simplicity, convenience and low weight and bulk, though it's also a very good sounding amp which doesn't need any pedals in front. Easy to carry around even with public transport, easy to tuck away behind a couch when not in use. The Mambo is a very good choice for the sound I think the OP is after, but it's a one trick pony (designed as such). I think Joe Pass would have like it. It's not the amp to bring for the R&R jam - at least not without pedals in front (hey, the Paradriver could come in handy here).
    Great post! Even though I have the Polytone now I'm still very much interested in it all. Great, your feedback about the Mambo, too. That would be my next choice, for sure.

Keep'em coming guys.

User Info Menu

Lawson very nice playing.
    A bit off subject, but do you feel the VOS 59 is really worth 5 to 7 times the price of the Epiphone?
    When I listen closely the Gibson does sound better (or do I want to hear it better? Wish I could have listened the clip without watching it in the first place..), but the Epiphone is really really close!
    Maybe a bit less consistent and strong tone, but ...
    close.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    Lawson very nice playing.
    A bit off subject, but do you feel the VOS 59 is really worth 5 to 7 times the price of the Epiphone?
    When I listen closely the Gibson does sound better (or do I want to hear it better? Wish I could have listened the clip without watching it in the first place..), but the Epiphone is really really close!
    Maybe a bit less consistent and strong tone, but ...
    close.
    I can't say entirely--I got my VOS 59 for $1999 from Chicago Music Exchange, and YES, it's worth that. Totally. No contest.

Sound is really not "everything." The Gibson has the classic Gibson "solid" feel. The workmanship is impeccable. The Epiphone had checking in the finish in 3 different places, has a heel splice, and has quite unremarkable wood. I love it, but if it had been for sale for $599 instead of the $429 I paid, I'd not have bought it. I got it because of the ridiculously low price, and might re-sell down the road.

The more I play the two guitars, the more (a) I like the Epiphone but (b) realize the Gibson is in a totally different league for construction, feel, etc.

User Info Menu

Anyone who played with the Vox MV50 with a drummer ?