The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: What Kind of Player Are You?

Voters
243. You may not vote on this poll
  • Full Time Pro - All Income From Music

28 11.52%
  • Part Time - Weekend Warrior

65 26.75%
  • Hobbyist - Never or Rarely Play Out

151 62.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 97

User Info Menu

What kind of player are you?

Full Time Pro - all income from music

Part Time - Weekend Warrior

Amateur Hobbyist - never or rarely play out

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Amateur for sure ...

I play bass for church every week ... would rather play guitar ... but they need a bass player more

I also play bass in a big band ... we used to be more classic 30s and 40s swing oriented, but our current music director is using us to relive his glory days of high school and college band in the 70s so most of the music is now more 60s and 70s big band .... a few gigs a year, but mostly for free in exchange with the city for a free practice space in one of the city run recreation centers ... I used to play guitar in the band, but that's another story

User Info Menu

I play at newb friendly jazz jams... so I don't really play at jazz jams.

User Info Menu

None of the above. Definitely don't have the stomach to gig full time, I've been in the situation where I've had to do it, and it's TOUGH. Utmost respect for those who can make it doing that.

Right now, I'm a "hired gun," meaning I'll play if you pay, and you'll get a professional guitarist for that night, no BS. I'll be on time, in tune, and play the music right.

So most of my gigs are playing classic country

My kids are little and I'm enjoying them, got no time to be out every weekend making zero cash.

User Info Menu

I am now a Semi-professional, playing in a Gospel Trio. We play what some call Americana (Bluegrass, Folk, occasional Rock), and as of lately, I been influenced more and more by '30's-'40's Swing/Jazz. I don't play much 6 string any more, but mostly play Mandolin and Tenor Guitar. I play CGDA on a '59 Martin 017-T Tenor, GDAE on a '36 Kalamazoo 00 on the Americana and GDAE on a '65 Harmony "Archtone" H1252 Tenor on Swing/Jazz. Got a few Mandolins too.

User Info Menu

Don't see a listing for "total hack," but that's what I'd check. Having taken this up in my late 50's, not sure I'm ever going to be good enough to perform publicly, so I'll settle for really amateur/hobbyist.

User Info Menu

Of the 3 categories offered, I fit Hobbyist best.

I play a few gigs here & there, but more like once every couple of months rather than every weekend. I could gig more, but I don't care to. I've come to realize that performance is not a driving passion for me -- I much prefer studying, practicing and writing music.

I have a regular weekly practice with a bass player and I play at a weekly rock & country jam that is great fun. I'm mostly interested in building my skills, as I am stuck in the intermediate level quagmire.

User Info Menu

I'm taking (almost) every jazz gig i can get, but at average about half of my income is from part-time teaching guitar lessons.

User Info Menu

I am out about 4 nights a week. It is part time and if I wanted to, I could teach as well (but I do not want to). All I play is jazz and I am not interested in any more work than I have.

User Info Menu

Total amateur. Occasionally will play a song somewhere or help at church services as accompanist for vocalists. Done a few weddings as vocal accompanist and yeah, can play "The Wedding Song" by Noel Paul Stookey on my 6 string flat-top. Sigh.

You'll pay well for using my cameras for you. Don't know anyone stupid enough to pay me for guitar though What Kind of Player Are You - Full Time Pro vs Half Time vs Hobbyist

Stumbling fingers still need love ...

User Info Menu

Like a lot of people here, I no longer play professionally. Although like Jeff, I will work occasionally. But for me, its on studio demo's with a dear friend who is a producer/engineer.
    While I feel almost ashamed to admit I don't play out anymore, I honestly don't miss it at all. Like Jeff, I get to spend time with my family (although in my case its arguing with my 16 year old.). And when I am playing, I am playing what I LIKE, not what the audience wants to hear or dance too. I am sorry, but Happy Birthday and Always and Forever are not on my at home arrangement list.. Most people in the clubs think that Johnny Smith is a 2 guard for the Celtics..

I like my Hobby. Lets just call it, A Various Guitar Try'er Outer..

Joe D

User Info Menu

down to 2 weekly gigs from 4 last year, + private stuff. \
    fortunate in that I only play what I want, maybe 90% jazz, the rest is r&b done in a jazz context.
    I'm about to have a lot of free time on my hands so wouldn't mind more gigs to help make ends meet.
    everyone tells me to teach and people ask me for lessons, but doing that takes away from me getting better.

User Info Menu

Hobbyist for me.

Since last year I only play in an amateur big band only and we are less than 10 times per year on a stage So a real hobbyist. But I really enjoy doing that.

User Info Menu

Former WW, guitarist for hire. I have done pit bands, big bands, sessions, rock bands, country bands, wedding bands, club/roadhouse bands, blues bands and blooze bands; what ever came up. Played lots of benefits for good causes. Did a stint in a square dance band. Wrote a lot of songs, made EPs and albums. Played some jazz, for fun and for money, sometimes simultaneously. Now retired (and just tired) and a happy hobbyist.

And Joe - "Various Guitar Try'er Outer" is just golden! It should be a Jazz Guitar Forum tee shirt! Srsly. ;-)
    Last edited by citizenk74; 03-11-2017 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Spelling, punctuation

User Info Menu

I play 3-4 nights a week and it's still nowhere near enough to live off of alone. I doubt there are many people here or anywhere making 100% of their income from jazz gigs. Teaching+jazz gigs+wedding bands sure

User Info Menu

Nowadays, hobbyist, no way I could afford the gits I have bought playing out :-)

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    And Joe - "Various Guitar Tyr'er Outer" is just golden! It should be a Jazz Guitar Forum tee shirt! Srsly. ;-)
    You got my vote... Dirk... Admins??? RU out there? Sounds like a great fundraiser opportunity! :-)

Maybe something like...

What Kind of Player Are You - Full Time Pro vs Half Time vs Hobbyist-jazz_guitar_logo-jpg
    Last edited by GNAPPI; 03-10-2017 at 07:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Was a weekend warrior with a record contract, got totally disillusioned from the pop music industry.
    Decided to get into tech work but that payed less. Family came so I dropped the music biz for proper income.
    Did tech work and teaching in Scotland as a side line, more for the love of it really. Imagine, a complete renovation of a Fender Japanese acoustic for £100!
    Playing charity gigs and party jams nowadays.

User Info Menu

Passionate. I've just come from a rehearsal with a cellist and violinist playing a tune I made up a long, long time ago. They really liked it and I almost cried. We will get up to more mischief, I hope, and maybe play somewhere in public, just for the hell of it. You asked

User Info Menu

It took me a long time to get good enough to play out and play in a band. Did that. It took me a while longer to figure out I don't like playing out and playing in a band. It's just not that fun to me. I really, really like it as a hobby.

User Info Menu

I'll reply to my own thread: I wish I could be a hobbyist and enjoy playing for myself but I just can't seem to do it - the only way I enjoy playing is entertaining people. I've been a full time retail music store owner, cabinet manufacturer, and full time player at times and weekend warrior at others. I've done studio work, country bands, classic rock bands, wedding soloist, standards combo group, and a lot of theater pit work. Now, I'm retired and only do a monthly duo (with tracks and a singer) as a freebie for a local woman's club fund raiser. Dream gig would be solo Great American Songbook tunes in a small restaurant/coffee house venue but there's not a lot of that around here but I'll make it happen one of these days.

User Info Menu

I am a full time pro.
    100% of my living comes from playing guitar, most is jazz (no teaching or traveling).
    I am the first in this thread?
    Why don't more pros come here?

User Info Menu

i ve pretty much been a working musician for the last couple of decades. I mostly enjoy jazz, r&b and funk music, but have played a lot of styles over the years, brazilian music, pop, some fingerstyle, some blues, some rock. I 've also always been teaching too, cause i like to have the luxury of not playing music i don't like. Have done theatre work, session stuff, touring, corporate gigs, i little bit of everything

these days i gig a few times a week, used to play out more, but its not worth it atm due to bad economy here. My biggest joy with music has always been practicing and improving, just spending time with the guitar and playing alone and with others.

I have never considered myself anything more than a weekend warrior. I have always had some kind of day job. I used to gig on weekends with my little blues trio. I was the singer/guitarist. Not only that but I also busk solo once in awhile. There was a point when I was in three bands two of which played out often. I was also hosting a couple of weekly acoustic music based open mics. Then I decided to just play with one band and do maybe 8-10 gigs a year and quit hosting open mics. A few months ago I gave up playing in a band and now just play for myself with more focus on solo jazz guitar with the possibility of performing very rarely. I am much happier learning the music and being a listener now.

User Info Menu

I make my money teaching and playing but it ends up being more playing upright and more teaching guitar, although I do have upright students and guitar gigs do pop up I have networked more in bass and upright players are of course more in demand than guitarists. It is mostly freelancing but a new year's resolution is to stop being so lazy and go out and get some gigs for myself. When opportunities come up to play with the trio I am with it is so fun because we play all originals either written by me or the pianist and I am too used to waiting to be called rather than take the initiative and go find the gigs myself where I might be able to have more fun. I also freelance photography so some money does come from that too but music pays the bills for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

I was full time for about 4-5 years but that was ages ago. I'm a hobbyist now but I'd like to get more serious about something. Kind of bored.