The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 300
    joaopaz Guest
    Just for fun - as a popular feature on other forums - here's a "registry" for the guys here that own one (or more!) Epi ES-175.

I thought it would be interesting to know how many of these guitars are connected to this place - and also maybe discover the most popular finishes, mods, etc!

So if you like, add your own guitar here. Check the current number of registered guitars, increase number by one (or more!) and add a photo if you can!

Here's mine:

#1 - 2014 Epiphone ES-175 Premium, Vintage Sunburst

Epiphone ES-175 Owners Club-img_20170227_183556-01-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Natural finish for mine, with an ebony bridge and 11 Pyramid flatwounds.

Very happy owner!

Epiphone ES-175 Owners Club-epiphone-es-175-natural-jpg

User Info Menu

I have a vintage sunburst. Not sure of the year, nor ambitious enough to search for it. I've also replaced the TOM with an ebony compensated bridge. It makes a big difference in the tone. I've also replaced the nut with one made from bone, and upgraded the tuners.

User Info Menu

Natural finish on mine, and I love this guitar. I'm not changing anything.
    Epiphone ES-175 Owners Club-epiphone-es175-1-jpg

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    Natural finish for mine
    With an ebony bridge and 11 Pyramid flatwounds.
    Very happy owner!
    2 and counting, then
    Any chance you post a picture of that ebony bridge? And any extra detail about it - "for the record"

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I have a vintage sunburst. Not sure of the year, nor ambitious enough to search for it. I've also replaced the TOM with an ebony compensated bridge. It makes a big difference in the tone. I've also replaced the nut with one made from bone, and upgraded the tuners.
    Sgosnell, I just looked into the soundhole - serial number on the label. I'm assuming the first 2 digits indicate the number.
    Pictures of your ebony bridge (and guitar too!) will be most welcome!

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Natural finish on mine, and I love this guitar. I'm not changing anything.
    Epiphone ES-175 Owners Club-epiphone-es175-1-jpg
    And meet the 4th 175-Premium!
    I was (still am) very divided about the finish I like the best. That one is gorgeous, congrats!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joaopaz
    And meet the 4th 175-Premium!
    I was (still am) very divided about the finish I like the best. That one is gorgeous, congrats!
    I jumped on that brief period when the natural finish ones were $429 from GuitarCenter. I have already several nice sunburst guitars, so wanted to add a blonde to the harem.

User Info Menu

Nat. w/Grovers. Love it!

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gitrman
    Nat. w/Grovers. Love it!
    welcome #5 !

User Info Menu

Maybe you Should have done a poll, the results would have been self tabulating

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Maybe you Should have done a poll, the results would have been self tabulating
    Perhaps I should..
    But it would also be cool to see, literally,, what options other users went for, upgrading their guitars... right now bridge changes are on top. Tuners too.... while I suspect it will be hard to find any pickup swaps!
    Last edited by joaopaz; 02-27-2017 at 10:57 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm in the club! Sorry, no pics, but these 175's kinda look about the same . . .

Mine is a Natural 2014 -- tuners upgraded to Gotohs with different buttons (just because . . . )
    I know, I know, it's all about the nut, but I'm liking my tuner upgrade very much with original nut just fine

Strings preference is for roundwound 12 Elixirs.

I don't play flatwounds much anymore, as I don't think they tame brightness where it is mostly needed -- which is on the top 2 strings. To me, that is more of a fundamental tone of the guitar issue. I like the tone & feel of this guitar a lot. It has clarity and richness at the same time.

User Info Menu

Epiphone ES-175 Owners Club-img_20170227_214541-jpg

I'm not sure it's worth the effort, but here's the bridge. The serial number starts with 14, so I guess it was made in 2014.

User Info Menu

If I join the fan club do I get an autographed picture of Hu Lam, the 11 year old sunburst finish painter?

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    I'm in the club! Sorry, no pics, but these 175's kinda look about the same . . .

Mine is a Natural 2014 -- tuners upgraded to Gotohs with different buttons (just because . . . )
    I know, I know, it's all about the nut, but I'm liking my tuner upgrade very much with original nut just fine

Strings preference is for roundwound 12 Elixirs.

I don't play flatwounds much anymore, as I don't think they tame brightness where it is mostly needed -- which is on the top 2 strings. To me, that is more of a fundamental tone of the guitar issue. I like the tone & feel of this guitar a lot. It has clarity and richness at the same time.
    So we have now 2 VS and 4 Blondes

I get you about tone quality. In this case it was easy for me to see that tone was a major plus with this particular guitar, so the reasonable thing to do would be to use what we already have, rather than chasing something else (always elusive).

On mine I have D'Addario Chrome .012s (flatwound) and they work great (usually I'd go with 11s and change the high E and B for 12 and 16... or use Tomastik Infeld 12 instead). What I almost always end up doing is to raise the action on the treble side a bit above necessary, precisely to get a fuller tone on E and B.

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Epiphone ES-175 Owners Club-img_20170227_214541-jpg

I'm not sure it's worth the effort, but here's the bridge. The serial number starts with 14, so I guess it was made in 2014.
    Great! That sure looks like the Göldo bridge I mentioned (somewhere)...
    Göldo HW155 - Thomann Portugal

Nice touch with the Benedetto pick as well

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    If I join the fan club do I get an autographed picture of Hu Lam, the 11 year old sunburst finish painter?
    Man, I'm sure Hu Lam would do it a lot better and with more pride! He and his three cousins...
    My guess is that there was a "foreign object" preventing the robot arm to go all the way up and they just found it some 57896 guitars later!

User Info Menu

It seems they all were made in 2014, it was a limited edition after all?
    If anyone has a 2015 or upper let us know, but I doubt it.

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    It seems they all were made in 2014, it was a limited edition after all?
    If anyone has a 2015 or upper let us know, but I doubt it.
    Mine also has 2014 written on the logo on the back of the headstock... I'm assuming the first two digits in the serial number do represent the year.

......that "limited edition" thing would fit nicely with my sunburst theory

User Info Menu

I have the real thing now ... but these epis look mega

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I have the real thing now ... but these epis look mega
    Get out of here....!

...but if you ever get your hands on one of these I'd love to know your thoughts on how they compare

User Info Menu

I am in the club. A Natural with upgraded Grovers and a bone nut. It is strung with TI Swing 12's. I am still astounded by the play ability, build quality, and sound... especially for the price.

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibson L4CES
    I am in the club. A Natural with upgraded Grovers and a bone nut. It is strung with TI Swing 12's. I am still astounded by the play ability, build quality, and sound... especially for the price.
    #7 in the house And the natural finish is a clear winner so far.

User Info Menu

The bridge is from StewMac. I had forgotten about the pick. I tend to keep an extra pick somewhere on most of my guitars, just in case, and that's the only really feasible place on the 175. The strings on the headstock don't provide a reliable slot. Benedetto sends a pack of picks and a set of strings for free when you enroll in their players' club and register your guitar. They're good picks, just not quite as good as Blue Chips.