The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 300

User Info Menu

Anyone ever see an Epiphone ES-175 with a Large "Epi" headstock logo and the trussrod cover that spells out "Epiphone" ??

Fake? Special run?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Another proud owner. Everything seems perfect. At first I was worried about the rather thin neck (even thinner than a Joe Pass Pro), but the nice action and great fretwork makes up for that. Also, unlike my Joe Pass, the guitar is not neck heavy.

Epiphone ES-175 Owners Club-es178-jpg

User Info Menu

Yours also seems to have a much more normal shaped sunburst....nice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gumtee
    Another proud owner. Everything seems perfect. At first I was worried about the rather thin neck (even thinner than a Joe Pass Pro), but the nice action and great fretwork makes up for that. Also, unlike my Joe Pass, the guitar is not neck heavy.

Congrats, that a nice looking guitar. I'm really enjoying mine.
    JP

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Oh heck yeah - congrats and Welcome to the club! Agreed that the fretwork and low action makes up for the thin neck. How does yours sound through the GB amp?

User Info Menu

Why don't we have a torrent of posts of our various Epiphone ES175's being played? It would be fun to hear the same model guitar played by different people, thorough different amps. I think in addition to being fun it would also be informative. This is a factory-made guitar, with pretty uniform construction across copies, so variations in tone would go back to the player or the amp. That could really be fun to hear! I will try to post something with mine later today!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Oh heck yeah - congrats and Welcome to the club! Agreed that the fretwork and low action makes up for the thin neck. How does yours sound through the GB amp?
    Thanks. I demo’d the GB Hot Rod alongside a Princeton 65 reissue at home over a weekend (not with the Epi es-175 unfortunately). To me the GB sounder a bit warmer and less directional (which I liked). The Princeton really came into its own with the volume dialed just past the halfway mark, but being an apartment dweller, it got a bit loud. I like the sound of this guitar through the GB especially with the cab extension, but it’s a matter of preference of course. The extension cab is surprisingly bassy and I mostly avoid using it (apart from getting the amp off of the floor). Without the cab I tend to back off the treble just shy of half-way, and with it, hardly touch it at all. For a more traditional es-175 sound I’m willing to bet that the Princeton (or a Twin Reverb) would be great though.

User Info Menu

Not a 175, but a distant cousin says "Hello!"

(1998 Zephyr Regent)

Cheers!

B.

User Info Menu

So here is a clip you might enjoy. I'm working on the Jamie Aebersold Volume 20, which is solos performed by Jimmy Raney. For about 2 years I've been working through these solos in a study group on this forum.

So here's 44 measures or so of Raney's solo over Rhythm Changes, played on a 2016 Gibson ES175 Figured Sunburst, an Epiphone ES175 Premium, and a 1959 VOS model ES175.

As you will see, the Epiphone holds it own quite well!

User Info Menu

Thanks. I demo’d the GB Hot Rod alongside a Princeton 65 reissue at home over a weekend (not with the Epi es-175 unfortunately). To me the GB sounder a bit warmer and less directional (which I liked). The Princeton really came into its own with the volume dialed just past the halfway mark, but being an apartment dweller, it got a bit loud. I like the sound of this guitar through the GB especially with the cab extension, but it’s a matter of preference of course. The extension cab is surprisingly bassy and I mostly avoid using it (apart from getting the amp off of the floor). Without the cab I tend to back off the treble just shy of half-way, and with it, hardly touch it at all. For a more traditional es-175 sound I’m willing to bet that the Princeton (or a Twin Reverb) would be great though.
    I use a Princeton and a 175 as my main gigging rig and it’s cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So here is a clip you might enjoy. I'm working on the Jamie Aebersold Volume 20, which is solos performed by Jimmy Raney. For about 2 years I've been working through these solos in a study group on this forum.

So here's 44 measures or so of Raney's solo over Rhythm Changes, played on a 2016 Gibson ES175 Figured Sunburst, an Epiphone ES175 Premium, and a 1959 VOS model ES175.

As you will see, the Epiphone holds it own quite well!
    is that another ES175 over your left shoulder? Did you buy two of the CME 175's?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    is that another ES175 over your left shoulder? Did you buy two of the CME 175's?
    The 2016 Figured Sunburst was the recent CME purchase. The VOS 1959 was a year or two ago, but CME, though I bought it in the store. When I'm playing the Epiphone, those two are in the back ground. They're the only two CME purchases I have, but I love them both!

User Info Menu

So Guitar Center has both a blonde Epi 175 Premi for $549, and a SB for $499, to anyone who may have missed out on the Premi sell. I can't say anything as to their condition, but that doesn't stop anyone from bringing a guitar in to their local GC on GC's dime. If you get a good Premi, you've got a very good sounding guitar, IME.

User Info Menu

...During the 60's / 70's I actually owned an original late 50's Gibson ES175 (Natural)...played if for years (jazz, rock, ect)..Beautiful all round guitar...I sold it off (along with other guitars)....should have kept them I know...!
    Playing jazz I got into tenor sax and flute and a bit of piano...
    I'm now 70 years old. - I 'retired' from regular gigging around 2000 and became a 'normal' stay at home husband...Brought a keyboard (various) and now play a Korg PA900 at home and go out gigging at old folks and retirement homes (singalong with all the old songs from 20s,30s,40s,50s,60s, ect - get then all joining in and having fun !
    A few months ago I decided after many years to buy a guitar again....
    Saw the price of new and vintage Gibsons and decided not to go down that expensive road...
    I noticed the Epiphone ES 175 and 'wow' - (almost) looking just like my old Gibson.....
    Shopped around and purchased a S/H one from Gumtree (UK) - Sunburst finish (Wish I could have found a 'Natural' one tho')...I've changed the TM bridge for a rosewood and it 'sings like a good un'....
    For anyone that thinks - It's not as good as a 'Gibbo'...Believe me - It plays and feels just like my old box...Can't fault it....
    Attached Images Attached Images Epiphone ES-175 Owners Club-epi-es-175-jpg 

User Info Menu

....just as an add on to my previous message about my guitar history....

Many of you on this and many other forums seem to think that the 'sound' you are longing for from your guitar is down to changing this and that - pickups / tone pots / wiring ect ect.

I've heard many guitarist in my time just pick up a guitar (any guitar) and it 'sings' ....

A good player will sound good playing any decent instument his 'sound' comes from him / his style / his experience / his feeling / ...

New Pickups 'can' make a bit of difference to the overall sound.... so can an amp.... but basically - it's in your hands/fingers and experience ..not your new change of knobs or pots or wiring....

User Info Menu

I agree. My father played with a friend for many years, and they had very different guitars and amps, and sounded very different. I could tell which was which without ever seeing them, just hearing them. But they could just trade guitars, without touching the amps, and sound the same, both immediately identifiable. I know that I could play Kenny Burrell's, or Tal Farlow's, or any other famous player's guitar, and I would not sound like them, sadly still like myself. But I keep trying...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I agree. My father played with a friend for many years, and they had very different guitars and amps, and sounded very different. I could tell which was which without ever seeing them, just hearing them. But they could just trade guitars, without touching the amps, and sound the same, both immediately identifiable. I know that I could play Kenny Burrell's, or Tal Farlow's, or any other famous player's guitar, and I would not sound like them, sadly still like myself. But I keep trying...

...thanks for your reply and comments and 'basically' agreeing with what I was trying to say....
    I'm new on this site/forum so forgive me for having a go about various aspects of guitar playing..

I've been playing for many years and have a very wide appreciation for all type of music...

People that buy or prefer the 'f' hole / archtop type guitars are usually those that want to develop their playing styles and 'possibly' advance into trying a bit of jazz and that sort of music bossa / standards ect.

Another thing that grieves me is when I see someone pick up a nice ES 175 or that sort of guitar and plug it into an amp along with their overdrive fuzz pedal and other things phaser, flanger ect, and produce the most awful sound (to my ears) that is possible....
    In my opinion an archtop 'f' hole guitar was not intended to do that...(but - horses for courses...)...
    A solid piece of wood with pickups on is the right guitar for that... Why use an acoustic guitar with its own character to play at 123 decibels and deafen those in the room... ( again - just my aged opinion)

User Info Menu

This thread is about a year old, but I am going to try one of these out...I liked my Gibson Es175 from the 60s, but to replace I like the price of the Epis a lot better !! I have had gas for a while now and not much money to spend on another guitar, so this might fit the ticket. Thanks for starting the thread...maybe more will join in who have purchased one in the last year.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcpicker47
    This thread is about a year old, but I am going to try one of these out...I liked my Gibson Es175 from the 60s, but to replace I like the price of the Epis a lot better !! I have had gas for a while now and not much money to spend on another guitar, so this might fit the ticket. Thanks for starting the thread...maybe more will join in who have purchased one in the last year.
    I've had mine over a year now and still really like it, no regrets. It's a fine guitar.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JSP737
    I've had mine over a year now and still really like it, no regrets. It's a fine guitar.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Ditto. This guitar has my most favorite neck feel of any of my guitars.

User Info Menu

Mine is fine. It's not my favorite, but it's in the top 3 or 4. The neck is a little thinner than I really like, and the body is bigger than I really prefer. But none of that detracts from its quality, it's just my personal preferences. If you like a 175-style guitar, you will probably like this model.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Ditto. This guitar has my most favorite neck feel of any of my guitars.
    I think Epiphone archtops that I've played in the last 5 or 6 years all had the perfect blend on neck size. Not too chunky, not too skinny. I don't struggle on my Gibsons, but I really play more easily on the Epiphones (Don't tell a soul!).

User Info Menu

Interesting, I thought the Epi 175necks I've played recently were VERY thin. I must like 'em fat

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I must like 'em fat
    Aren't you the guy with a 1 3/4" boatneck?

User Info Menu

Great read here and I really like the detail of what all have done to make improvements. Comes in handy with what I may or may not do with the Epi ES-335 Pro I have. Not trying to side rail this discussion but when looking at the Epi 175's I ran across a Peerless rendition called the Gigmaster. Advertised as lighter than a Gibson ES-175 with better sustain. I have a couple of Peerless and can attest to the quality so the question is, has anyone else done a comparison of the Epiphone ES-175 to the Peerless Gigmaster?
    They cost more than the Epiphone, but way less than a Gibson.

Thanks .
    Al