The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 300

User Info Menu

How do these stack up against the Eastman 375s?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    One thing that is strange is that normally Gibson 57 Classics have a metal wrapped wire (don't know how you call it in english? "tressé" in french)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Yes, originally the 57 Classics came only with braided wires (all the 57 Classics and burstbuckers in my Gibson guitars have braided wires). This is what made me think that there is also an Asian produced variant of the 57 Classic pickup. But apparently it also comes with plastic coated wire?
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Yes they normally have a braided shield outside and a black-insulated lead inside.
    Yes, that's what I thought... perhaps these are assembled in Asia... not sure and don't want, in any way, to say they're advertising one thing and selling another - because on the Epiphone page they're clear about Gibson USA 57 Classic.

Again, they sound awsome. What my tech said is that he would use the braided shield cable for the most part and would shield a bit better the part of the cable coming out of the pickup.

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    How do these stack up against the Eastman 375s?
    Do you mean the 372s?
    I can't say, in any case, never played an Eastman - though they look great. They cost what, around 1200/1300? That would put them 400 above the Epiphone, so you'd expect somewhat more attention to detail.

The thing that, a bit surprisingly, I like a lot about the Epiphone is the finish... it's very thin, and it lets the guitar breathe and resonate nicely. The construction seems to be great, so far I haven't found like poor spot.

Funny exercise would be... you take all the hardware out of the Epiphone ES-175 Premium and replace it with all the original items that come with VOS 1959 Gibson ES-175. You already have the 57 pickups.... that would put the guitar close to 1000/1100 (don't know the price of the tuners) - which is still 3300 below the Gibson(!)

I'm not pretending it would be the same thing of course - but it makes you think about it.

User Info Menu

Joapaz, would you be kind enough to tell if the pots are metric or US size? This is important because the holes are bigger on the top if they are US.
    I'm going the same route as you, going to bring the guitar to my luthier for a hand made bone nut, the guitar deserves it, and going to swap the electronics also.
    I'm doing this because this weekend the jack input just sunk and broke some of the wood on the body. I don't know what happened, just heard a big crack while mooving the guitar and saw the damage.. the jacj must have been stuck somewhere while moving the guitar. I just knew this would happen, that area just seems fragile, and when I got it new there were already small cracks in the finish around the jack input.
    It's no big deal, I'm going to install a metal jack plate there (Les Paul style). I've done it on other archtops and everything is just more solid afterwards, and it doesn't affect the sound at all, obviously.
    So the Epi will be on the bench for a couple of days, but I really think it's good idea to surge the guitar in it's weak points right away (nut, electronics-not the pickups- flimsy jack input area- tuners).
    So can you ask your luthier what are the size of the pots? I'm going to order new pots, but won't have time to dismantle the guitar to check the original ones.
    Thanks in advance!

joaopaz Guest
    Joapaz, would you be kind enough to tell if the pots are metric or US size? This is important because the holes are bigger on the top if they are US.
    I'm going the same route as you, going to bring the guitar to my luthier for a hand made bone nut, the guitar deserves it, and going to swap the electronics also.
    I'm doing this because this weekend the jack input just sunk and broke some of the wood on the body. I don't know what happened, just heard a big crack while mooving the guitar and saw the damage.. the jacj must have been stuck somewhere while moving the guitar. I just knew this would happen, that area just seems fragile, and when I got it new there were already small cracks in the finish around the jack input.
    It's no big deal, I'm going to install a metal jack plate there (Les Paul style). I've done it on other archtops and everything is just more solid afterwards, and it doesn't affect the sound at all, obviously.
    So the Epi will be on the bench for a couple of days, but I really think it's good idea to surge the guitar in it's weak points right away (nut, electronics-not the pickups- flimsy jack input area- tuners).
    So can you ask your luthier what are the size of the pots? I'm going to order new pots, but won't have time to dismantle the guitar to check the original ones.
    Thanks in advance!
    Hi Jx!
    I passed your post along to my guitar tech, this morning, and here's his reply - hope it helps! Let me know ..

Hi Joao!

The dimensions that concern here refer only to the shaft diameter. In fact the original hole in the guitar will have to be enlarged because the shaft diameter of the original pot is 7.77mm while the shaft of the CTS is 9.30mm (it is the same procedure as we did in your Gretsch). The measurement differences do not end here, ie all measurements of the CTS potentiometers are in inches, including the number of cutouts where the knob will fit, causing the original knob to not be compatible and will have to be replaced with a new knob, too, in inches!
    If you look here, from my vendor, you will notice that there are always 2 versions for the same knob: in millimeters and inches.
    BOUTONS GIBSON - Fred's Guitar Parts

About a year ago, Stewmac released a video that accurately and accurately portrays this issue:

Regards!

User Info Menu

Thanks very much, and give a big hand shake to your luthier as well!
    So this is forcing us to go to the drill thing .. the classic US/metric hassle
    brrrr.. I might as well go for Alpha pots.. or delay all the thing.
    tell us what the upgrade has impacted the sound

For my part I've ordered Grover Gr102 tuners, a Graphtec Resomatic NV2 tunomatic, an ebony split bridge base, a Switchcraft jack input and metal jack plate (remember the input jack is wrecked with broken wood), Ernie ball strap locks, and a Es125 style trapeze tailpiece.

All this for about 180€ which is quite not that much for an overall big upgrade. Some might tell me it will lesser be an Es 175 (tailpiece, tuners, modern TOM), but I really don't care. For me the Premium is an Epiphone, not a Gibson ES175..

I'm going to try locally a Gibson VOS 59 ES175 this next week. But that's another story...

joaopaz Guest
    Thanks very much, and give a big hand shake to your luthier as well!
    So this is forcing us to go to the drill thing .. the classic US/metric hassle
    brrrr.. I might as well go for Alpha pots.. or delay all the thing.
    tell us what the upgrade has impacted the sound

For my part I've ordered Grover Gr102 tuners, a Graphtec Resomatic NV2 tunomatic, an ebony split bridge base, a Switchcraft jack input and metal jack plate (remember the input jack is wrecked with broken wood), Ernie ball strap locks, and a Es125 style trapeze tailpiece.

All this for about 180€ which is quite not that much for an overall big upgrade. Some might tell me it will lesser be an Es 175 (tailpiece, tuners, modern TOM), but I really don't care. For me the Premium is an Epiphone, not a Gibson ES175..

I'm going to try locally a Gibson VOS 59 ES175 this next week. But that's another story...

I'll keep you posted, sure.
    Send some photos of your upgrades when done, too!
    I'm curious about your bridge choice, why that one? My luthier mentioned something about the bigger "mass" of the tailpiece helping to dissipate the noise ..

And do let us know about the VOS 59! That's my secret GAS wish

Thanks to this forum I'm awaiting my epi es 175 premium in black. It was a journey. I've only been playing for 2 months and already went thru an epi 339, ibanez af75, and now an afj95b with the super 58 "customs". I got rid of the af75. I'm still a beginner but am a professional sound engineer and composer. So I can hear a great tone. I am in the middle of "is the sound about how I play and is it also the gear?". I think the afj95 is good, but not quite there? and only have my playability to blame. But if this 175 is that much greater with my beginner skills, I will put up a clip comparison. With all my vintage compressors, racks and drum machines, I've always recorded comparisons. But guitar is a different beast.

User Info Menu

For learning and appreciating guitar, you couldn't have made a better choice in the archtop departement. I've being playing for almost 30 years and have had a bunch of guitars (not so much archtops thow) and this one is really great, one of the most satisfiying to play.
    There is something about the playability and sound that makes it kind of unique, very inspiring, it just flows with energy and punch.
    Good choice!

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdeyestringtheory
    Thanks to this forum I'm awaiting my epi es 175 premium in black. It was a journey. I've only been playing for 2 months and already went thru an epi 339, ibanez af75, and now an afj95b with the super 58 "customs". I got rid of the af75. I'm still a beginner but am a professional sound engineer and composer. So I can hear a great tone. I am in the middle of "is the sound about how I play and is it also the gear?". I think the afj95 is good, but not quite there? and only have my playability to blame. But if this 175 is that much greater with my beginner skills, I will put up a clip comparison. With all my vintage compressors, racks and drum machines, I've always recorded comparisons. But guitar is a different beast.
    Hey, congrats in advance! Be sure to post some pics when you get your black beauty

Since you mentioned the Ibanez AFJ95 and the Epiphone ES-175 .. I own both. I get what you're saying about the sound not quite there on the Ibanez. I couldn't pinpoint exactly what it was, that is, it sounded great but I always felt it lacked something, perhaps a bit of extra "personality". About a month ago ordered/installed a Bare Knuckles "Manhattan" P90 (in humbucker size) to my Ibanez. This pickup is nothing short of amazing and it's exactly what I was looking for, since I wanted a sound "old style", like some early Jim Hall. Since I did it it has been hard to put this guitar down. Right now I just play both these I mentioned.

In terms of playability I have a super comfortable setup on both, these are really easy to play - so it boils down mostly to the body shape. Perhaps the Ibanez is easier for me, not yet sure.
    In terms of acoustic sound the Epiphone is the clear winner, which I found surprising, given the fact that's a laminated guitar and the Ibanez is a solid top. But the Ibanez is a bit dull... of course this goes away when I plug the guitar!
    In terms of electric sound it's hard, really... the Bare Knuckles being a "boutique" pickup is a serious contender and here on the forum I got a bit of a consistent feedback saying the Ibanez sounded "marginally better". But overall I'm really happy to have both sounding so so so so nice!

The Ibanez finish is perfect, but thick. The Epiphone has loads of "mojo" and the thin finish is a major plus IMO, and it sure feels like is going to age great!

So, to cut a long story short, be sure to keep both guitars You could try to swap the pickups on the Ibanez, the guitar sure deserves it.

My Epiphone is "out" for some upgrades and I'm dying to get it back and into action!

Will be looking forward to your comparison clips, too.

joaopaz Guest
    For learning and appreciating guitar, you couldn't have made a better choice in the archtop departement. I've being playing for almost 30 years and have had a bunch of guitars (not so much archtops thow) and this one is really great, one of the most satisfiying to play.
    There is something about the playability and sound that makes it kind of unique, very inspiring, it just flows with energy and punch.
    Good choice!
    Amen to that

I will definitely post pics and maybe simple comparisons.. I hope the epi 175 will end my gas attack/search so I can bond and practice with the gear. I really like the look of the afj95. I'm curious about the Pu upgrade as well. It seems like it sounds good in the upper frets, and then something missing in the lower frets. I forgot to mention I also had the loar 280 for 3 hours then returned it because of the shoddy quality and a dimple in the body. Sound was great in headphones though.

joaopaz Guest
    I will definitely post pics and maybe simple comparisons.. I hope the epi 175 will end my gas attack/search so I can bond and practice with the gear. I really like the look of the afj95. I'm curious about the Pu upgrade as well. It seems like it sounds good in the upper frets, and then something missing in the lower frets. I forgot to mention I also had the loar 280 for 3 hours then returned it because of the shoddy quality and a dimple in the body. Sound was great in headphones though.
    Hi!
    Just sent you a PM with a recording of the Ibanez with the new PU.

Forgot to say ... since your Epi is already on its way ... Welcome to the Club, man Yours is the Epiphone ES-174 #13 on this thread

About the The Loars. Yeah, I have a few and they have some cosmetic issues, for sure. But I love them, the way they feel and react to your playing. They just need a proper setup and will be great guitars! At least for me!

Thanks jaopaz, I appreciate it. Great sound and great playing man! Those pick ups sound real sweet you weren't kidding. What were your string gauges btw? And what was the recording chain?

joaopaz Guest
    Thanks jaopaz, I appreciate it. Great sound and great playing man! Those pick ups sound real sweet you weren't kidding. What were your string gauges btw? And what was the recording chain?
    Thanks! The chain was... guitar to amp - Polytone Mini Brute I, flat, just with a little bass added - Sure SM57 mic, Alesis Multimix Fx 8 mixer with USB to laptop. The BT was from youtube and I played at the same time, into Audacity. Strings are Thomastik Infeld .012 flatwounds... I played it fingerstyle :-)

Will do a similar recording with the Epiphone as soon s it returns from the luthier!

User Info Menu

As treasurer of the Epiphone ES-175 Owners Club, I need to remind you that your $20 April monthly dues are now past due.

You can pay them online using your credit or debit card at: www.gumbofund.com

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    As treasurer of the Epiphone ES-175 Owners Club, I need to remind you that your $20 April monthly dues are now past due.

You can pay them online using your credit or debit card at: www.gumbofund.com
    For a microsecond you got me thinking there was another scammer in the forum

joaopaz Guest
    Hi guys!

I'll pick up my guitar tomorrow. In the meantime here's some photos my guitar tech sent me, documenting the process.

The current set of upgrades, included:
    A bone nut
    A complete rewire
    4x CTS 500k (Audio)
    1x Paper-in-Oil Condenser K40Y-9 .15uF (neck)
    1x Paper-in-Oil Condenser K40Y-9 .22uF (bridge)
    Switchcraft jack input
    Japan Gold Contact toggle switch
    2x Set of Bell Knob Gold Letter (volume and tone)

Before pics:
    Epiphone ES-175 Owners Club-es-175_01-jpgEpiphone ES-175 Owners Club-es-175_02-jpgEpiphone ES-175 Owners Club-es-175_03-jpgEpiphone ES-175 Owners Club-es-175_04-jpgEpiphone ES-175 Owners Club-es-175_05-jpg

After pics:
    Epiphone ES-175 Owners Club-es-175_09-jpgEpiphone ES-175 Owners Club-es-175_08-jpgEpiphone ES-175 Owners Club-es-175_07-jpgEpiphone ES-175 Owners Club-es-175_06-jpgEpiphone ES-175 Owners Club-es-175_10-jpg
    The cost of this, was about 130Eur.

User Info Menu

Great!
    I'll be going this exact same route on mine next week.
    Do you know if a US Switchcraft toggle switch will fit the original hole on the body?

That original nut is so sloppy looking

Don't forget to give your impressions.

User Info Menu

And another, do the original buttons fit on the CTS Pots? If I remember well the pots threads should be different and the buttons don't fit?

User Info Menu

I doubt the new wiring has a significant effect on the tone (unless you alter the values of the components) but those pots probably feel and work better. (I actually think the Epiphone wiring is pretty neat).

A bone nut is always a good thing!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

User Info Menu

As always some say changing things on guitars change the tone (pots, capacitors, wire...) and some write entire forums about it..
    I don't have much experience in that domain, but I wonder if Joapaz will think (and hear) ?
    Changing caps value must have an effect in the tone sweep somehow, or why would there be all those different types and materials (ceramic, paper in oil, mika...)?

joaopaz Guest
    Great!
    I'll be going this exact same route on mine next week.
    Do you know if a US Switchcraft toggle switch will fit the original hole on the body?

That original nut is so sloppy looking

Don't forget to give your impressions.
    Hi Jx, I don't know but I'll ask tomorrow.

The original nut looks a bit ugly, yes, but maybe that's because I had added some graphite to it, to smooth the string path

joaopaz Guest
    And another, do the original buttons fit on the CTS Pots? If I remember well the pots threads should be different and the buttons don't fit?
    I had to buy new knobs, yes.. that's the last item on the list of material I posted.
    My guitar teck gave me this link:
    BOUTONS GIBSON - Fred's Guitar Parts

Note that you have always two references for each knobne's in inches and the other one is metric.

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    I doubt the new wiring has a significant effect on the tone (unless you alter the values of the components) but those pots probably feel and work better. (I actually think the Epiphone wiring is pretty neat).

A bone nut is always a good thing!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
    I don't think the new wiring will change to tone, either. My hope is that it will shield the inside wires better, reducing the exposure to outside intereference and reducing noise.
    I don't know very much about it but my guitar tech said that should be done and I'm with it he has done a super job on each and every guitar I took him!

I also think the original wiring looked well done, too But the new wiring looks super cool - the guy takes a lot of pride in his soldering skills!