The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Posts 276 to 300 of 300

User Info Menu

The harness it was connected to was complete shyte.
    I can only second that. The original Epi harnas is shielded very badly, at least in my reissue 175D. The premium harnas is better, but I had the change to hear the difference between my newly installed harnass and CTS pots and a standard premium through a pretty new Fender Hot Rod and mine had a little less noice. Both guitars had the least noice (by some margin) when the pick-up selector was in the middle. And I found that the treble bleed that I put on my guitar didn´t have the great difference that I thought it would have. Not to the tone I like play jazz with using the neck pick-up. The advantage of not changing the volume when changing the tone is nice to have. Still glad I made the mod, but I could have managed without it. What was a supprise is that the sound of my bridge pick-up (which is a gibson classic 57 neck pick-up) gives a much rounder voice of tone then the 57+ that is mounted on the Premium. Without loosing the high´s. It was so much easier to find a very bluesy sound with mine then the premium, which sounded way too thin, of too airy, don´t know how to say. This is pure luck as I bought a set of 2 neck pick-ups, which I found OK knowing that I wouldn´t be using the bridge PU very much. I wouldn´t want it different now!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WillydeVille
    I can only second that. The original Epi harnas is shielded very badly, at least in my reissue 175D. The premium harnas is better, but I had the change to hear the difference between my newly installed harnass and CTS pots and a standard premium through a pretty new Fender Hot Rod and mine had a little less noice. Both guitars had the least noice (by some margin) when the pick-up selector was in the middle. And I found that the treble bleed that I put on my guitar didn´t have the great difference that I thought it would have. Not to the tone I like play jazz with using the neck pick-up. The advantage of not changing the volume when changing the tone is nice to have. Still glad I made the mod, but I could have managed without it. What was a supprise is that the sound of my bridge pick-up (which is a gibson classic 57 neck pick-up) gives a much rounder voice of tone then the 57+ that is mounted on the Premium. Without loosing the high´s. It was so much easier to find a very bluesy sound with mine then the premium, which sounded way too thin, of too airy, don´t know how to say. This is pure luck as I bought a set of 2 neck pick-ups, which I found OK knowing that I wouldn´t be using the bridge PU very much. I wouldn´t want it different now!

User Info Menu

She is here: 2009 vintage sunburst. Maybe a pickup upgrade in the future? For now doing great.

Epiphone ES-175 Owners Club-57710728-bdae-4e49-8132-4cc9de008c05-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanLorenzo
    She is here: 2009 vintage sunburst. Maybe a pickup upgrade in the future? For now doing great.

Epiphone ES-175 Owners Club-57710728-bdae-4e49-8132-4cc9de008c05-jpeg
    Fine looking instrument! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Here are those three lovelies, 2 aristocrats and one more middle class but holding her own... in action

Interesting. I'm assuming they're all strung with the same strings (TI flats?). You could gig that EPI and no one would be any the wiser (unless they like looking at headstocks)!

User Info Menu

I also own one, and I never use the bridge pickup. Does anyone know if the 57 bridge pickup is exactly the same or any different from the one in the neck?? Might wanna throw the bridge one into the neck of another axe!

User Info Menu

Here's my 2014 ES-175 Premium. I'm a dedicated lurker, and have never posted. But I couldn't resist doing my own version of the photo in post #4.

Epiphone ES-175 Owners Club-img_0413-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stoneunhinged
    Here's my 2014 ES-175 Premium. I'm a dedicated lurker, and have never posted. But I couldn't resist doing my own version of the photo in post #4.

Epiphone ES-175 Owners Club-img_0413-jpg

User Info Menu

Anyone got an Epiphone ES175 Premium for sale?

User Info Menu

Greg have one listed on his web.

Epiphone ES-175

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesR
    Greg have one listed on his web.

Epiphone ES-175
    Kewl. But I’m in the USA. Thx

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Were there any non premium epis coming with Gibson 57 pickups? There is one in my local area that has no premium stamp on the truss rod cover, finish is glossy, but the owner is persistent that it originally came with Gibson 57 pickups.

There are some pictures in the ad: Epiphone 175 - KupujemProdajem

What is the finish on non premium reissue? Is it a glossy nitro or poly?

Thank you and sorry for jumping on without a guitar (yet).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by velja
    Were there any non premium epis coming with Gibson 57 pickups? There is one in my local area that has no premium stamp on the truss rod cover, finish is glossy, but the owner is persistent that it originally came with Gibson 57 pickups.

The pickguard does not seem to have the correct shape for an Epi 175….. don’t know what that means for the rest of the guitar, but just saying.

User Info Menu

There were no non-Premium ES-175s that came with Gibson Classic 57s. Period. If there are Gibson Classic 57s in the guitar someone installed them, which is a good thing. I would ask for pictures of the back of both pickups before making any offers. The finish on the Premium model is un-buffed nitrocellulose lacquer. This is definitely not a Premium model, but still worth pursuing at the right price. Good luck!

User Info Menu

The glossy's are definitely poly finish, but very nice indeed.
    But no, they did not come with gibson 57's. But that is the perfect upgrade to make a nice guitar

User Info Menu

I arranged to buy an ES-175 premium from a passing buy bus . I will have at most 10 minutes to check the guitar. While I am certain that I can recognize hw parts and get a good impression of wood in that time, I am not sure how to figure out if the pickups are original. What are the colors of pickup wires on premiums? Any other suggestions? I trust the owner but recently I went to see the es-175 premium locally and we figured out that the pickups were replaced with noname pups, the owner was surprised too. It was easy to me to recognize that after plugging in the guitar, but now I will not be able to do that.

Here is the guitar: EPIPHONE ES-175 PREMIUM ELECTRIC GUITAR + Koffer, € 850,- (1230 Wien) - willhaben

User Info Menu

I arranged to buy an ES-175 premium from a passing buy bus . I will have at most 10 minutes to check the guitar. While I am certain that I can recognize hw parts and get a good impression of wood in that time, I am not sure how to figure out if the pickups are original. What are the colors of pickup wires on premiums? Any other suggestions? I trust the owner but recently I went to see the es-175 premium locally and we figured out that the pickups were replaced with noname pups, the owner was surprised too. It was easy to me to recognize that after plugging in the guitar, but now I will not be able to do that.

Here is the guitar: EPIPHONE ES-175 PREMIUM ELECTRIC GUITAR + Koffer, € 850,- (1230 Wien) - willhaben
    Living on the edge, eey? ;-)

Stick you phone through the f-hole and hope to get a shot of the back of the pickup and compare it?

I think they should look like this:

[IMG]13941d1408589182-epiphone-es-175-premium-img_2051-jpg (900×675) (jazzguitar.be)[/IMG]

User Info Menu

I used this to verify pickups and inspect wiring:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00STB0EW6

User Info Menu

I've tried with mine 175 premium and it's really impossibe to see the tags (they have to be there to be the real thing) using only the phone. But with 20/30€ you could buy a cheap endoscope... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Living on the edge, eey? ;-)

Stick you phone through the f-hole and hope to get a shot of the back of the pickup and compare it?

I think they should look like this:

[IMG]13941d1408589182-epiphone-es-175-premium-img_2051-jpg (900×675) (jazzguitar.be)[/IMG]

User Info Menu

Well, I got mine. The only flaw is on the neck / body joint, next to the cutaway. I saw it immediately but I am under impression that there is no trouble except cosmetic one. Guitars sounds and plays amazing. I didn't think I will say this ever - it's better set then my Ibanez af105nt.
    You can take a picture of the bridge pickup through F-holes. I did it when I arrived home, when it was already obvious that pickups are 57s. Just set the camera to wide.
    Last edited by velja; 04-02-2022 at 04:30 AM.

User Info Menu

I can’t see your pictures…. (on my phone)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    I can’t see your pictures…. (on my phone)
    Thanks. I think I fixed it. For some reason it didn't want to upload one photo and then I linked them all from gdrive, but didn't do it right.

User Info Menu

I have a 2014 Epi ES-175 premium w/ Gibson 57's (I used a small mirror with a string tied, put it through the f hole and took photos); and I'm pretty much enjoying this great guitar! One caveat is the nut maybe too low and sometimes I'm hearing string buzz from the 5th and 6th strings. Might need to visit a repair shop this winter.

One thing I'm really interested in recently is Archtop Tribute AT105, AT105M, AT105D, AT205MD, etc. from Japan Walkin guitar. Thanks to the great USD/JPY rate nowadays, I'm looking for replacing my Epi ES-175 with possibly one of this AT105's. And main question is: would AT105's be really better and worth than Epi? I've talked to the owner of Walkin in emails; the price range is about $1,600 - $1,750 USD including shipping and hard case. I can't find anything comparing Epi and AT guitars. And actually there are not that many video clips about Archtop Tribute models. Anyone have experienced both guitars or anything from AT? Thx.

User Info Menu

I am selling an almost brand new Limited Edition, Custom Shop, Reissue, 2010.
    Vintage Sunburst, with upgraded neck pu (original included), hard case etc.
    To collect from London (unless a special collection arrangement can be made).

Please see eBay ad, just put up (3 Dec 2023).

… really beautiful one, but not getting played, and I seem to have gone mad with acquiring more and more guitars (so I am told by the family members!)