The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Posts 251 to 275 of 300

User Info Menu

StewMac, AllParts, Guitar Parts Factory, Luthiers Mercantile International. Ebay, Amazon.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

What advantages and/or improvements are made by replacing the stock 2014 Epiphone ES-175 TOM bridge with an all-wood ebony bridge?
    Last edited by The Executive Committee; 04-18-2020 at 12:29 PM.

What advantages and/or improvements are made by replacing the stock 2014 Epiphone ES-175 TOM bridge with an all-wood ebony bridge?
    Last edited by The Executive Committee; 04-18-2020 at 12:28 PM.

User Info Menu

It can cancel some of the brightness and metallic tone that can come from the TOM. It usually gives a smoother, darker sound. All that said, every guitar is different, and some sound better to me with a TOM, although most sound better with wood, either ebony or rosewood. I can't hear much, if any, difference between the two wood species. The bridge base probably makes more difference than the saddle, especially if it is well-fitted to the top. IME some guitars sound better with a solid base, some with a two-footed base. I haven't found a reliable way to tell without installing and trying it.

What are the dimensions of the 2014 Epiphone ES-175 Premium?
    Total Length: _________
    Body Length: _________
    Lower Bout: _________
    Upper Bout: _________
    Depth: _________

User Info Menu

Not exactly an Epiphone ES175, but I have an Epiphone Zephyr Regent Re-issue (ES165) that I just put a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat pickup (P90 in a humbucker form factor). I never played one of these before and I think I like it a lot. I will post a clip and pictures later once I've explored this more.

User Info Menu

Here's my new toy, for this sax player to learn some jazz chords with. A 2010 Korean version I believe.

Epiphone ES-175 Owners Club-20200605_142233-2-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Epiphone ES-175 Owners Club-20200605_142233-jpg 

User Info Menu

Hi there,

My first post here on this site. A must from my side because before buying my Epi ES-175 I have grabbed a lot of info from this site.

So wanting to learn jazz guitar because all my rock and blues friends stopped playing or just died, I found my acoustic not very helpful in learning those hard to grab jazz chords. So a new guitar was needed. As my level does not justify a $ 3000 guitar I settled for a Epi ES 175.

As the premiums a very rare where I live (Holland) I started looking into the re-issues from before 2014. I have played 6 guitar before buying mine an have found some differences in those guitars.

First, there are made in more then one plant. I have seen Indonesian, Chinese and Korean ones. I forgot to note which factories, but what I noticed was that the Unsung factory units were the better sounding guitars. And I mean acoustic. When amplified I did not notice much difference, allthough the Unsung seemed to have a bit more depth in them.

All the Epi´s I tested were not "dead quiet", the all had a little noise - like the shielding was not very well. The guitar I bought was a 2006 unsung example that played very well, with a little low E-string clatter, but very smooth otherwise. Amplified the sound was a bit thin, but as it was absolutely unmarked and in an "as new" condition, I bought it.

My plan was to upgrade it with Gibson 57 classic pick-ups. And to my luck 2 of those showed up on a local marked site for just €100. And I wanted to get rid of the old pots, switch and socket, for which I bought CTS-audio pots and Switchkraft hardware and braided cable.

So I took it apart and the first thing i noticed was that the original pickups were Epiphone 57 CH (G) both neck pick-ups but on those is ingraved F. (for front?) and the other R. (for rear?) The classic 57 I bought were also both the neck pickups as normally you´d expect one of those to be a 57+ for the bridge position.

So I changed all the internals, and looking at the old cables I was glad I did cause the shielding was not soldered very well on all connections. Changing over meant I had to drill the pot-holes to 9,5 mm, but the pointer tabs were allready on that size, which was great. The switch and connector holes were the right size. I bought new knobs as the old ones didn´t fit without exessive force, but at € 13.00 a set that was not a dealbreaker.

I also changed the tuning mechanisms. The old were Grovers, but I didn´t like the kidney shape so I thought to put some plastic knobbed Grovers in, but those were not in stock, so I bougth some original Gibson tuners, which at € 55 were not very expensive too.

I also put a treble bleed in according to the Kinman methode, with the resistor (150K) and Capacitor (2nF) in series. I tried a few caps but the 2 nF did the trick for me. For the tone caps I used orange caps, as I ( and I strongly believe anybody) can hear a difference between normal an paper caps.

The moment of truth: this guitar sounds fabulous. Very nice defined low tones without muting the high tone. I am very satified. The Gibson pickups are really worth the upgrade.

I also advise using a good braided cable. Mine is from Guitarelectronics.com and is sold as OEM cable. The tuners (PMMH-010) are great too, the hold tone very good. I have new strings TI 0.13 and the play very smoothe.

The only thing that is still wrong is there is a strange rumble in it when I play the guitar with the pickguard mounted. Can´t seem to find what is wrong, so for now I play without and will have a closer look later on.

The stringclatter I solved for a great deal by adjusting the truss-rod, cause he neck was allmost dead strait, so I gave it a very slight bow (1/2 a turn).

So i hope this will help others wanting to upgrade their Epi-175!

Willem.
    Attached Images Attached Images Epiphone ES-175 Owners Club-2020-06-12-14-29-43-jpg Epiphone ES-175 Owners Club-2020-06-12-10-34-39-jpg Epiphone ES-175 Owners Club-2020-06-15-10-30-28-jpg 

User Info Menu

Very nice first post! You will fit in well here.

Best of luck with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WillydeVille
    Hi there,

My first post here on this site. A must from my side because before buying my Epi ES-175 I have grabbed a lot of info from this site.

So wanting to learn jazz guitar because all my rock and blues friends stopped playing or just died, I found my acoustic not very helpful in learning those hard to grab jazz chords. So a new guitar was needed. As my level does not justify a $ 3000 guitar I settled for a Epi ES 175.

As the premiums a very rare where I live (Holland) I started looking into the re-issues from before 2014. I have played 6 guitar before buying mine an have found some differences in those guitars.

First, there are made in more then one plant. I have seen Indonesian, Chinese and Korean ones. I forgot to note which factories, but what I noticed was that the Unsung factory units were the better sounding guitars. And I mean acoustic. When amplified I did not notice much difference, allthough the Unsung seemed to have a bit more depth in them.

All the Epi´s I tested were not "dead quiet", the all had a little noise - like the shielding was not very well. The guitar I bought was a 2006 unsung example that played very well, with a little low E-string clatter, but very smooth otherwise. Amplified the sound was a bit thin, but as it was absolutely unmarked and in an "as new" condition, I bought it.

My plan was to upgrade it with Gibson 57 classic pick-ups. And to my luck 2 of those showed up on a local marked site for just €100. And I wanted to get rid of the old pots, switch and socket, for which I bought CTS-audio pots and Switchkraft hardware and braided cable.

So I took it apart and the first thing i noticed was that the original pickups were Epiphone 57 CH (G) both neck pick-ups but on those is ingraved F. (for front?) and the other R. (for rear?) The classic 57 I bought were also both the neck pickups as normally you´d expect one of those to be a 57+ for the bridge position.

So I changed all the internals, and looking at the old cables I was glad I did cause the shielding was not soldered very well on all connections. Changing over meant I had to drill the pot-holes to 9,5 mm, but the pointer tabs were allready on that size, which was great. The switch and connector holes were the right size. I bought new knobs as the old ones didn´t fit without exessive force, but at € 13.00 a set that was not a dealbreaker.

I also changed the tuning mechanisms. The old were Grovers, but I didn´t like the kidney shape so I thought to put some plastic knobbed Grovers in, but those were not in stock, so I bougth some original Gibson tuners, which at € 55 were not very expensive too.

I also put a treble bleed in according to the Kinman methode, with the resistor (150K) and Capacitor (2nF) in series. I tried a few caps but the 2 nF did the trick for me. For the tone caps I used orange caps, as I ( and I strongly believe anybody) can hear a difference between normal an paper caps.

The moment of truth: this guitar sounds fabulous. Very nice defined low tones without muting the high tone. I am very satified. The Gibson pickups are really worth the upgrade.

I also advise using a good braided cable. Mine is from Guitarelectronics.com and is sold as OEM cable. The tuners (PMMH-010) are great too, the hold tone very good. I have new strings TI 0.13 and the play very smoothe.

The only thing that is still wrong is there is a strange rumble in it when I play the guitar with the pickguard mounted. Can´t seem to find what is wrong, so for now I play without and will have a closer look later on.

The stringclatter I solved for a great deal by adjusting the truss-rod, cause he neck was allmost dead strait, so I gave it a very slight bow (1/2 a turn).

So i hope this will help others wanting to upgrade their Epi-175!

Willem.

User Info Menu

Excellent post. It is always very good to have step-by-step modification history. Thank you!
    As the proud owner of three Epi-175s, I am always grateful for people's opinions after doing alterations to these fantastic guitars.

BTW - Has anyone found that the original Epi 57 pickups are actually pretty good -- If the right match between the guitar/strings/settings/amplification are well achieved?

User Info Menu

Hi guys,
    I'm the OP of this thread (new forum name, don't ask

Today I sent 6 photos to my Instagram. x3 of my Epiphone ES-175 Premium (2014) and x3 of my Gibson ES-175 (that I bought in early 2017 from CME Memphis when they sold a great number of 175s at incredible prices; something happened back then - don't quite recall what it was; I remember that Gibson stopped producing 175s - so many of us here got their final ones; or maybe CME closed their Memphis store? Not sure - any help with this subject will be appreciated.)
    But, again, a big thanks to CME's David

So.... I got my Gibson ES-175 when I already had bought the Epiphone ES-175. My Epiphone went through some upgrades, basically all the electronics but the pickups; they came standard with Gibson 57 Classics. So I changed cables and pots, the tuners, the nut, the pickguard, the knobs, the switch. It sounds like a lot but it isn't. The fact of the matter is that this Epiphone is a wonderful guitar; it was before the upgrades and finally realized its potential after the upgrades.

So, some 3/4 years have passed since I have both guitars. To this day I play them both, regularly, little distinction (these 2 plus a 2016 Gibson SG Standard. These 3 are my main guitars).

Trying to compare the Epi and the Gib is an awkward process. Each one excels in particular spots. Each one excels in particular days or times of the day Quite honestly, each time I pick each one of these 175s, after some time playing it I get this feeling "no.... this is the best one". Each time I pick up the Gibson she wins; each time I pick up the Epiphone she wins.
    They're different beasts, for sure:
    The Epiphone has a thinner neck; the Gibson has a slightly narrower neck.
    The Epiphone is lighter.
    The Gibson resonates with a crisp, modern tone vibe. The Epiphone resonates in such a warm way.
    The Epiphone excels at a particular tone. The Gibson excels at all other tones
    Love the Epiphone tailpiece; love the Gibson headstock.
    Both speak to me and both help my playing and my music.

When I bought the Epiphone I knew she was a wonderful guitar (that immediately followed me everywhere) but it was not until I got the Gibson that I finally found how great the Gibson is, and how great the Epiphone is.

Hat I to choose between one the two, I don't know what would happen; I do know that whatever guitar I'd end up with it would be a guitar that would for sure serve me for life, independently of my skill level.

Here's the pictures if you'd care to see them : https://www.instagram.com/p/CDTo-GrHVTJ/

User Info Menu

Killer guitar the Epi is. I think the Epi excels in clarity. Also treble notes excel from the Epi. No thunk but it’s not a 175.

Shame on Gibson no longer producing the 175. It’s as if those CME sells happened on purpose knowing Gibson was about to fold, so let’s dump some good guitars along with a few not so good. I think I recall a few going for $1650!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Killer guitar the Epi is. I think the Epi excels in clarity. Also treble notes excel from the Epi. No thunk but it’s not a 175.

Shame on Gibson no longer producing the 175. It’s as if those CME sells happened on purpose knowing Gibson was about to fold, so let’s dump some good guitars along with a few not so good. I think I recall a few going for $1650!
    I got mine for almost that price. Then ended up paying quite a bit in customs as I ordered it from Europe, but still payed half the price of those days at online stores. To this day it's hard to accept that Gibson stopped building them .... though I suspect that they'll be back in the future, as a "Second Coming".

Anyway, I'm thrilled to have both these guitars; personally, the sign of a great guitar is one that makes you forget about it when you're playing it. Whenever I pick one of my 3 main ones, this Epiphone included, almost immediately I forget about the guitar and it's just about the music... a couple of hours later, of course, it always happens "wow, I love this guitar!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JPG
    Hi guys,
    I'm the OP of this thread (new forum name, don't ask

Today I sent 6 photos to my Instagram. x3 of my Epiphone ES-175 Premium (2014) and x3 of my Gibson ES-175 (that I bought in early 2017 from CME Memphis when they sold a great number of 175s at incredible prices; something happened back then - don't quite recall what it was; I remember that Gibson stopped producing 175s - so many of us here got their final ones; or maybe CME closed their Memphis store? Not sure - any help with this subject will be appreciated.)
    But, again, a big thanks to CME's David

So.... I got my Gibson ES-175 when I already had bought the Epiphone ES-175. My Epiphone went through some upgrades, basically all the electronics but the pickups; they came standard with Gibson 57 Classics. So I changed cables and pots, the tuners, the nut, the pickguard, the knobs, the switch. It sounds like a lot but it isn't. The fact of the matter is that this Epiphone is a wonderful guitar; it was before the upgrades and finally realized its potential after the upgrades.

So, some 3/4 years have passed since I have both guitars. To this day I play them both, regularly, little distinction (these 2 plus a 2016 Gibson SG Standard. These 3 are my main guitars).

Trying to compare the Epi and the Gib is an awkward process. Each one excels in particular spots. Each one excels in particular days or times of the day Quite honestly, each time I pick each one of these 175s, after some time playing it I get this feeling "no.... this is the best one". Each time I pick up the Gibson she wins; each time I pick up the Epiphone she wins.
    They're different beasts, for sure:
    The Epiphone has a thinner neck; the Gibson has a slightly narrower neck.
    The Epiphone is lighter.
    The Gibson resonates with a crisp, modern tone vibe. The Epiphone resonates in such a warm way.
    The Epiphone excels at a particular tone. The Gibson excels at all other tones
    Love the Epiphone tailpiece; love the Gibson headstock.
    Both speak to me and both help my playing and my music.

When I bought the Epiphone I knew she was a wonderful guitar (that immediately followed me everywhere) but it was not until I got the Gibson that I finally found how great the Gibson is, and how great the Epiphone is.

Hat I to choose between one the two, I don't know what would happen; I do know that whatever guitar I'd end up with it would be a guitar that would for sure serve me for life, independently of my skill level.

Here's the pictures if you'd care to see them : Login • Instagram
    The really close comparison is the VOS1959 ES175 and the Epiphone ES175 Premium. The Epiphone seems to me to be modeled on the VOS. They are the same weight, to be sure. Except for the Epiphone having a slimmer neck, I have a hard time separating them, and my Epiphone is entirely stock.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    The really close comparison is the VOS1959 ES175 and the Epiphone ES175 Premium. The Epiphone seems to me to be modeled on the VOS. They are the same weight, to be sure. Except for the Epiphone having a slimmer neck, I have a hard time separating them, and my Epiphone is entirely stock.
    You're right, had forgot about the VOS! So you have both? Have a picture of those two together?

When I got the Gibson (I believe you got one too by that same time, the one you just sold?) of course there was a temptation to compare them but I got over it quickly as they're so different - and that was the unexpected plus!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JPG
    You're right, had forgot about the VOS! So you have both? Have a picture of those two together?

When I got the Gibson (I believe you got one too by that same time, the one you just sold?) of course there was a temptation to compare them but I got over it quickly as they're so different - and that was the unexpected plus!
    No doubt, the Gibsons look much more impressive than the Epiphone. They are, in fact, quite spectacular. But the feel and sound is amazingly close between the VOS and the Epiphone.

Epiphone ES-175 Owners Club-3es175s-1-jpg

User Info Menu

Here are those three lovelies, 2 aristocrats and one more middle class but holding her own... in action

User Info Menu

I'm going to get one of these fairly soon, I hope... what is a good price used?

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Brian B;853597]Double post (thanks ATT and iPhone....)
    \

I've replaced the pickup with a SD Seth Lover neck, the harness with 525K CTS pots and a PIO cap, pickguard with an aftermarket ES165 part, the pickguard mount with a repro Gibson piece, and the bridge with a rosewood StewMac part.

Attachment 51413

As I got it (above)

Attachment 51414

Post upgrades...

Attachment 51415

The mount I made for the new pickguard...

Attachment 51416

And the repop guard bracket I used...

Attachment 51417

You didn't like the P94s?

User Info Menu

"You didn't like the P94?"

You know...in hindsight it may have been completely environmental.

It seemed noisy, feed back easily, and just didn't have a tone that I liked well enough. I did keep it though. But it may have been one or more of the following;

The harness it was connected to was complete shyte.

I was trying to run thru a 40W tube amp in close physical proximity (only amp I had available at that particular moment)

Where I was with said amp was parked under a 4 bulb 4 foot fluorescent light.

Soo...the P94, thru junk controls, in front of a big amp, with a massive 60 cycle hum generator overhead....yeah, maybe not the fairest place to get a good tone.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Why did I cometo this thread again? Epi ES 175 Premium GAS is reignited for me.

I have a Gibson VOS 59 Reissue bought during the end of the CME sale, I had origionally purchased a 175 Figured (with the metal bridge) but the guitar had a few issues I did enjoy the tones I was getting with that metal bridge though.and I returned it and got the VOS 59 instead for a few hundred more.

The 59 has a different vibe but is great in it;s own right.

I could see getting a used (or new if they are still made) Epi 175 Premium and putting a few bucks into it and maybe getting the best of both worlds.

I had considered getting an ABR bridge for the 59 and being able to go back and forth with the wood bridge.There are some decent aged ABRs out there (Faber maybe). But having both guitars may be much simpler.

Naysayers welcome, talk me down ha ha.
    Last edited by 73Fender; 08-06-2020 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Typos

User Info Menu

Greetings All,

Please dm me if anyone is letting go their Epiphone ES175 Premium

Preferably in Ebony finish. Also, I'd appreciate if anyone can tell me where can I get one.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzaddict
    Greetings All,

Please dm me if anyone is letting go their Epiphone ES175 Premium

Preferably in Ebony finish. Also, I'd appreciate if anyone can tell me where can I get one.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

... would it be totally inappropriate to post a photo of my Eastman 371 here? (which is my most loved guitar?)