The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 300
    joaopaz Guest
    ....my wife, not knowing what guitar I was playing (I was showing her something I had recorded) just said:
    "I like the sound, the sound of that guitar you're playing, is sweet".

When she says something like that I know I have a winner

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

joaopaz Guest
    Hi guys,

Lawson-Stone found a Gibson with a similar squared sunburst on the back.
    Here's is post on another thread:
    NGD Epiphone ES-175 Premium, impressions

It's a
    Gibson Nashville L-5 CES Wes Montgomery 2014

incidentally..... noticed the 2014? Same year the Epiphone Es-175 Premium was released...

User Info Menu

Add another 2014 natural finish Premium to the count. I've only had mine a few weeks (and I was gone for the last 1.5 weeks) so I haven't even changed the strings on it yet. But I'm loving the sound and the feel of it.

Like joaopaz's wife, mine commented that this guitar has the best sound - she actually noticed how different it sounds from any of my other guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    It seems they all were made in 2014, it was a limited edition after all?
    If anyone has a 2015 or upper let us know, but I doubt it.
    I do believe it was a Guitar Center limited edition --- and very nicely done.
    The new Epiphone Premium ES 295 is the newest limited edition -- and not quite so jazz oriented

User Info Menu

When I missed out on the initial GC deal on the natural finish models, I started looking around. I ended up finding a mint Wine Red with a hsc for about the same price as the GC deal. There's not a scratch on it and it plays beautifully. The wine red is really stunning in the matte finish. It's my first jazz box and I have to say I was stunned when I first plugged it in. I'm new to Jazz and not very proficient, but I feel inspired every time I pick it up.
    JP

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Happy to join the club. Mine is black - obtained during the latest GC blow-out.

User Info Menu

I'm recommending the epis to my student who is looking covetously at my gibbo

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by coryB
    Add another 2014 natural finish Premium to the count. I've only had mine a few weeks (and I was gone for the last 1.5 weeks) so I haven't even changed the strings on it yet. But I'm loving the sound and the feel of it.

Like joaopaz's wife, mine commented that this guitar has the best sound - she actually noticed how different it sounds from any of my other guitars.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSP737
    When I missed out on the initial GC deal on the natural finish models, I started looking around. I ended up finding a mint Wine Red with a hsc for about the same price as the GC deal. There's not a scratch on it and it plays beautifully. The wine red is really stunning in the matte finish. It's my first jazz box and I have to say I was stunned when I first plugged it in. I'm new to Jazz and not very proficient, but I feel inspired every time I pick it up.
    JP

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    So this adds numbers #8 and #9 to the count

Man.... that wine red is gorgeous! Actually when I bought mine I was going after that finish but couldn't find it anywhere. Really stunning, Congrats!

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    And that makes #10. Just saw a couple of pictures of a black one the other day and it was equally gorgeous. The Blacks and the Reds don't come up as often - at least I never saw them on stores around here.
    Welcome, Sir

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I'm recommending the epis to my student who is looking covetously at my gibbo
    Again, if you ever get the chance to play them side by side be sure to let us know your thoughts!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I jumped on that brief period when the natural finish ones were $429 from GuitarCenter. I have already several nice sunburst guitars, so wanted to add a blonde to the harem.
    Epiphone ES-175 Owners Club-pop_175premvs-jpg
    I also got in on that natural finish deal, but...........
    A very long story, took 2 months of correspondence with GC that included a letter to the GC CEO, and a long list of major fails by GC that ended with them doing virtually nothing.
    But my story ended with me getting a new Vintage Sunburst one for virtually the same price (somewhere else!), and I couldn't be happier with it.
    It gives me an excellent jazz box with versatility to do much more. Would have to spend at least 4 times more to get anything better, it is that good. Instant bonding!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joaopaz
    Again, if you ever get the chance to play them side by side be sure to let us know your thoughts!
    If that happens I'll try and do a video

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wmachine
    I also got in on that natural finish deal, but...........
    A very long story, took 2 months of correspondence with GC that included a letter to the GC CEO, and a long list of major fails by GC that ended with them doing virtually nothing.
    But my story ended with me getting a new Vintage Sunburst one for virtually the same price (somewhere else!), and I couldn't be happier with it.
    It gives me an excellent jazz box with versatility to do much more. Would have to spend at least 4 times more to get anything better, it is that good. Instant bonding!
    Welcome to the "Club" wmachine And there comes #11!

First time I saw the sunburst one it didn't convince me... still, on a whim, I ended up getting one and totally love this finish.

Trying to remove the marks on a sticker (don't ask!) I applied a little car polish on the back of the neck and it quickly acquired a very nice shine! I though about doing it on the whole guitar, but I won't. It's great as it is I'm sure it will acquire a natural shine as we play these guitars more and more.

So congrats on your cool guitar, too!

User Info Menu

Following up on my earlier post:

This past weekend, I finally took the time to setup my Epi 175. I filed the nut slots (they were left too high and a couple of them were tight enough to be pinching the strings and preventing them from tuning smoothly), adjusted the truss rod (to remove some relief), pulled the bridge pickup out to silence vibrations, and went around the instrument tightening the input jack and all screws, as needed. I affixed a small gauze pad under the pickguard, where it sits on the bridge p-ups mounting ring (again, to silence vibrations). Then, I used gorgomyte on the fretboard, installed the instrument's first set of TI GB 114s, and intonated the bridge.

I'm still impressed with this instrument. The fit and finish is very good, as are the fingerboard and fretwork, and the guitar is a joy to play. Quite happy, thus far, and looking forward to recording with it, soon.
    Last edited by M-ster; 03-08-2017 at 10:05 PM.

User Info Menu

This past weekend, I finally took the time to setup my Epi 175. I filed the nut slots (they were left too high and a couple of them were tight enough to be pinching the strings and preventing them from tuning smoothly), adjusted the truss rod (to remove some relief), pulled the bridge pickup out to silence vibrations, and went around the instrument tightening the input jack and all screws, as needed. I affixed a small gauze pad under the pickguard, where it sits on the bridge p-ups mounting ring (again, to silence vibrations). Then, I used gorgomyte on the fretboard and installed the instrument's first set of TI GB 114s.

I'm still impressed with this instrument. The fit and finish is very good, as are the fingerboard and fretwork, and the guitar is a joy to play. Quite happy, thus far, and looking forward to recording with it, soon.
    I had to chase down buzzy vibrations where the pickups meet the pickguard too.
    The back of the neck on mine has taken on a very nice shine from playing.

User Info Menu

So the consensus around these parts
    is that these 175 premiums are good boxes

I'm interested if they're better than the
    other older epi 175 type guitars in ways other
    than just the Gibson pups ?

Ie if you put the same Gibson pups into
    any epi 175 would it be as good as a Premium

Maybe something else is different too ?

joaopaz Guest

This past weekend, I finally took the time to setup my Epi 175. I filed the nut slots (they were left too high and a couple of them were tight enough to be pinching the strings and preventing them from tuning smoothly), adjusted the truss rod (to remove some relief), pulled the bridge pickup out to silence vibrations, and went around the instrument tightening the input jack and all screws, as needed. I affixed a small gauze pad under the pickguard, where it sits on the bridge p-ups mounting ring (again, to silence vibrations). Then, I used gorgomyte on the fretboard, installed the instrument's first set of TI GB 114s, and intonated the bridge.

This will be the guide for my weekend
    M-ster, about tightening the jack ... I'm always afraid to twist the cables inside; do you have any special method to avoid the inside hardware to rotate?
    Will have to check that "gorgomyte", too.

I'm still amazed at mine, too. I have D'Addario 12s (usally go with TI 12s, but will have to order more) but somehow I feel the guitar is asking for something a little more "beefier"!

Also, BTW, I love this finish... it was a but strange at first but it sure conquered me by now; I feel like with passing time and wear it will acquire a nice vintage look!

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    The back of the neck on mine has taken on a very nice shine from playing.
    I got that with tiny bit of car polish
    But have it on my Epi Dot Studio for real. A friend with a similar guitar saw the shine on the back of my neck and wanted to do the same on his .... it was just years of use

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    So the consensus around these parts
    is that these 175 premiums are good boxes

I'm interested if they're better than the
    other older epi 175 type guitars in ways other
    than just the Gibson pups ?

Ie if you put the same Gibson pups into
    any epi 175 would it be as good as a Premium

Maybe something else is different too ?
    I never got close to one of the 2011 models .. - but found this thread at the Gibson forum; a few short answers and you get the idea.

(I'm still GAS'ing for one in red........ and one in black ............. oh, and a natural! )

Differences Between 2011 Epi ES-175 and 2015 Models? - Gibson Guitar Board

User Info Menu

What the hell is "gorgomyte"?

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jazz.fred
    What the hell is "gorgomyte"?
    Yeah, it's a funny name
    Gorgomyte Fret And Fingerboard Conditioner

User Info Menu

For preventing the jack from turning:
    Search Results for jack the gripper | stewmac.com

Either will work, depending on the depth of your pockets, and needs.

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    For preventing the jack from turning:
    Search Results for jack the gripper | stewmac.com

Either will work, depending on the depth of your pockets, and needs.
    Thanks!!

User Info Menu

M-ster, about tightening the jack ... I'm always afraid to twist the cables inside; do you have any special method to avoid the inside hardware to rotate? Will have to check that "gorgomyte", too.
    I was reluctant, too; but it turns out that the jack on mine has a flattened part that I could grab onto with a pliers while I tightened the nut with an open-ended.

I learned about Gorgomyte here on the forum. I've used it on about 3 or 4 guitars now. Not sure I'm sold on it yet, but I'm trying it out, still.

... Also, BTW, I love this finish... it was a but strange at first but it sure conquered me by now ...
    Yep, I was prepared not to like the finish, but, in person, it's fine.

User Info Menu

Thanks.