The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

I now play a Dunlop 208, which is the best I've found. But, for the sound for which I'm searching, my thumb is best. Trouble is that I play with a pick and don't want to change. I've tried a bunch, but the Dunlop keeps coming out best. Anyone found anything else that comes closest to the sound the thumb makes?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Rubber Wedgies but they shred very quickly.

User Info Menu

(Obviously, perhaps,) grip and 'touch' come into play, but I really like D'Andrea Pro-Plec 351 for that sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    (Obviously, perhaps,) grip and 'touch' come into play, but I really like D'Andrea Pro-Plec 351 for that sound.
    I agree that Pro Plecs are most likely the softest sounding picks on the market; however, for a slightly brighter sound that provides more volume, I'd go with the round tipped Dunlop Jazztone 207s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Klatu
    I agree that Pro Plecs are most likely the softest sounding picks on the market; however, for a slightly brighter sound that provides more volume, I'd go with the round tipped Dunlop Jazztone 207s.
    As Larry Talbot might have said, "Oh, no! Not another pick..."

User Info Menu

Maybe a fat-bottomed 6mm thick manouche plectrum

manouchepicks.com ?

User Info Menu

I used to use the 208 but switched to this ( also a dunlop ) and like it better:
    Amazon.com: Dunlop 477P305 Primetone(R), Pointed Tip, 3.0mm, 3/Player's Pack: Musical Instruments

User Info Menu

I used to use Clayton 2mm picks, and I got that sound.

(Seems like a lo-o-ng time ago. Since my obsession with Benson picking I've thought - slowly, over time, constantly, deeply - about my picking, which is evolving. The downside has been occasionally succumbing to the silly pursuit of speed for its own sake. The upside is comfort - 'in the pocket' - when the tempo gets bright.)

What I like(d?) about the Clayton 2mm picks is that there was never a 'click'. (I'm not at home now, but I'll try them tomorrow and compare them - perhaps make another short pyjama video). Likewise Cool Juratex - click free, and great for Benson (I like the Mediums and the Thins).
    Last edited by destinytot; 02-11-2017 at 05:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all of the suggestions. On Monday I should have three different types to try and compare with my 208's searching for that "perfect" tone. I know that my style and skill level has a lot to do with the tone, and I have a long way to go in that area, but I may as well try and start with the pick since I recognize the huge difference in town from one to another.

User Info Menu

a felt pick...gives a very soft attack like the flesh of a thumb...old bass players trick for getting a more upright tone, but with a pick...

just don't be put off by initial feel..it gets good as it breaks in and the felt compresses

dunlop makes'em, in fact they make two variations...have used both, but i prefer the 8011 nick lucas felt

Dunlop Felt Pick Guitar Picks | Dunlop Guitar Picks

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 02-11-2017 at 07:07 PM. Reason: ad-

User Info Menu

Thanks. I hadn't thought of those. I'll try one. I used to play with a felt for a Ukulele. Love Amazon for this kind of thing.

User Info Menu

A good pick is an important tool, but I do think that a firm-but-loose grip (what's been called 'flex' in the Benson picking Thread of Threads) and comfortable tension are equally (if not more) important. Just a thought.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Rubber Wedgies but they shred very quickly.
    I thought about inserting a "metal frame" inside to firm them up and gluing back. They will still shred quickly but provide better attack.

User Info Menu

might try a dava pick...they have a rubber outer "coating"...very comfortable and grippy...the tip end is not rubberized, but you can flip them around and play with rubber end for a very soft attack...in a pinch

Pick for a thumb sound-dava-picks-review-jpg

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 02-11-2017 at 07:37 PM.

User Info Menu

I use a Golden Gate Mandolin pick. Sounds mellower than my old Dunlop 206, but not as warm as my thumb.

User Info Menu

A good pick is an important tool, but I do think that a firm-but-loose grip (what's been called 'flex' in the Benson picking Thread of Threads) and comfortable tension are equally (if not more) important. Just a thought.

yes, but in the end it's the pick that's making contact with the string...and its thickness, shape and material that affect the tone..the players technique can remain the same, but will sound different with different picks

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    yes, but in the end it's the pick that's making contact with the string...and its thickness, shape and material that affect the tone..the players technique can remain the same, but will sound different with different picks

cheers
    I'll have to ponder that while playing, but I think that's probably a big deal when playing on the 'fast' side.

User Info Menu

with so many choices, have you found one that has the most "thumb" like tone?

User Info Menu

IMHO, if you want the 'Wes' sound stick with your thumb - it sounded very authentic while the picks just sounded like thick picks to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    IMHO, if you want the 'Wes' sound stick with your thumb - it sounded very authentic while the picks just sounded like thick picks to me.
    I think you're right. (Physically, I think it's all in the left/lead/fretting hand.)

User Info Menu

As Larry Talbot might have said, "Oh, no! Not another pick..."
    Pick for a thumb sound-bq43vr8x7xuxg-gif

User Info Menu

Not much of the pick is protruding out of my grip when I hold it and I love to play directly above the neck pickup.
    When I want a Wes style thumby attack, mostly when playing downstroke octaves for instance, I angle my picking hand slightly in a way the flesh of my index holding the pick is touching first the strings followed very fast by the pick itself.
    It is not exactly the same as playing with the thumb but there is still the muffling effect of the skin prior to the pick and it is convincing enough for me.

User Info Menu

Better video - and only 49 seconds - of same short phrase with thumb then D'Andrea Pro-Plec (then noodling with thumb, following fretting hand):

User Info Menu

One thing you might try is roughing up the pick. Use some sandpaper around the edge and on the flat of the tip. That can make a big difference in sound. You're also looking for a relatively soft pick, and you may want to try one made of horn. They're readily available on ebay for not a lot of money. I think a very thick, rough horn pick might get you closer to what you're looking for, but it may not need much roughness.
    Last edited by sgosnell; 02-12-2017 at 06:16 PM.

User Info Menu

You might try turning your 208 90 degrees and using the shoulder of the pick for a rounder tone. With 206s the end opposite the point works well. keep in mind that the basic more-or-less triangular pick shape has potentially three different tip profiles, depending on orientation. Even the super fast pointy Ultex Jazz III has a couple of flavors of mellow available. I used to reshape 205s to get my preferred attack. Also Stubbies, Big and Little. Good luck!