The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 94 of 94

User Info Menu

One thing to do is mark the bridge bass with a small dental pick underneath. This allows the person to know what side bridge is oriented. It can make a difference slightly and while normally it is obvious sometimes the saddle gets taken off. I suppose the key is to publish specs to mark bass side.

I mentioned this because I recently made a new saddle for my new super 400, had a tunomatic and I wanted ebony. I notice Gibson did not mark the orientation like I am used to seeing and really in the end it did not matter but it did make me think a bit a first. Normally my mentor Hollenbeck always marked the bass side and a few weeks later I worked on a Hollenbeck and had to take all the hardware off for cleaning and sure enough the little mark just gave me instant success.

Remove the bridge from a floating type set up it just makes it safer. Also if a player is not comfortable with getting the guitar set back up it is worth a few small dollars to take it to a pro for set up. That can be good just to get another eye on the guitar you bought and while many players are capable of setting up there guitars it should not cost much unless something needs real work.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I bought a used Epiphone Sorrento, laminated thin archtop online from a national retailer and it was shipped from the west coast to the east coast via UPS. Guitar was tuned up, and naked in it's hsc and that was packed in an unlined cardboard box. The guitar was fine, and that was my experience.

User Info Menu

I just sold my 2013 Taylor T5z earlier this week. The guitar was shipped from western PA to North Carolina. The buyer sent me two sets of photographs of the guitar. Apparently he opened the guitar upon arrival. The buyer identified several issues. The first set of photographs show a chip missing at the bottom of the fret board. The other email maintains there is a buzzing issue and a bulge in the fretboard. He said he's taking it to Sam Ash an authorized Taylor rep.I thank the seller for the information and notice that it arrived safely. The first thing I asked is if he allowed the guitar to accumulate for a minimum of 24 hours. I mentioned the temp and moisture condition between PA and NC. I have not heard back as of yet.
    I discounted the guitar to price it below other similar models. Then he ask for another discount and free shipping which I gave.

The guitar was fully insured for the sale amount.
    Any thoughts? Please see below.
    Last edited by Wildcat; 01-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

User Info Menu

On Shipping Guitars-20200117_095524-jpg
    On Shipping Guitars-20200117_095552-jpg
    On Shipping Guitars-20200117_095642-jpg
    On Shipping Guitars-20200117_095721-jpg

User Info Menu

The danger in selling online is that some buyers are too nitpicky or dishonest to let a deal be a deal. I have had guitars come to me that needed a truss rod adjustment from the climate change or have an undisclosed flaw and I always figure that is the risk I took (unless the flaw is substantial). Sorry that this happened to you. If the extra discount that the buyer seeks is small, it is not worth fighting over. Negotiate your best deal with him and move on (and never buy or sell with him again).

User Info Menu

Thank you for good thoughts.
    If anything I tend to under estimate how good of a condition a guitar is to avoid issues like this. I discounted the guitar knowing I was losing money.
    I listed on this forum, The Gear Page, Acoustic guitar forum, Craigslist, Reverb, and Ebay.
    Made up my mind this is the last transaction on Ebay. I have 450 transactions with 100% feedback over the past 14 years. Time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    The danger in selling online is that some buyers are too nitpicky or dishonest to let a deal be a deal. I have had guitars come to me that needed a truss rod adjustment from the climate change or have an undisclosed flaw and I always figure that is the risk I took (unless the flaw is substantial). Sorry that this happened to you. If the extra discount that the buyer seeks is small, it is not worth fighting over. Negotiate your best deal with him and move on (and never buy or sell with him again).

User Info Menu

I always list everything "wrong" in the description, but I also state that the sale is final, sold as is, no refunds full or partial.
    Haven't had an issue....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    I know the feeling. But I personally hold off for 24. Had a friend who taught, play out and graduated from Berkeley yell at me when I opened the guitar case outside on a cold day. Shut that case!

That chip was not there when I shipped it. Also the setup was good and guitar sounded great. No problems with the tone and electronics.

To help mitigate these potential disputes over item condition, I tend to video any expensive item I am selling, just before placing the item in a shipping box. I keep the camera rolling until the item is sealed in the box.

User Info Menu

Just slap a shipping label onto a gigbag and send economy

User Info Menu

On Shipping Guitars-ec7e43a5-9ef2-40dd-9f7e-60a0b81bd89d-jpg

User Info Menu

So....what was in the bag?

User Info Menu

I always make sure a seller knows how to correctly pack a guitar before they ship, sop

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I always make sure a seller knows how to correctly pack a guitar before they ship, sop

i did, in great detail. He agreed and then went ahead anyway

User Info Menu

Miraculously it survived. The driver said they processed it by hand in the depot, and put it in the passenger seat of his truck. They also never see this and did their best.
    Restored faith in humanity !

User Info Menu

I’ve had this happen a few times, although typically with a label slapped on a hard case, although also on chipboard cases, and once a gig bag. USPS is the only ones who it seems will accept a guitar like this, but in my experience they have always ended up taking great care.

User Info Menu

An inside was a 1924 Lloyd Lore L5 right?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    An inside was a 1924 Lloyd Lore L5 right?
    close ! But a ‘94 not a ‘24

User Info Menu

Whoa!!!!
    He shipped an L-5 in a gig bag. That is unprecedented!

User Info Menu

OK guys, true story here:

John Jorgensen told me that he once got off a plane and went to luggage claim to get his Calton cased guitar and while waiting saw a guitar in a gig bag that had been checked and was now going around in the turnstyle. John looked at it and saw a label that said "Joe Pass". John told me that he couldn't believe that it was the "Joe Pass" and after retrieving his guitar, John decided to wait and see what was up with the checked gig bagged guitar. John told me that it was indeed the "Joe Pass" who came and snapped up the guitar. I asked John if he talked to him and John said he was intimidated to approach him (I sure understand that!). John asked me if I thought that he would have done that with his D'Aquisto and I surmised that it must have been his Ibanez. But who knows? Too late to ask Joe.....