The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 35

User Info Menu

This guitar has been hanging in a local music shop for some weeks now, keeping company with a 5th Ave Jazz model. Yesterday, with an hour to spare, I decided to try them both. I walked away with the Composer as it had a little more of the electric sound I am looking for and, possibly more importantly, the Jazz model cost 50% more ! It is replacing a Peerless 175-a-like, which has stunning flamed maple looks, but seems too "dull" and unresponsive (despite aftermarket Seth Lovers).

The Godin is certainly not unresponsive; weighing in at around 4lb (cf. Peerless 6.5lb), it is incredibly light and very resonant - exactly what the Peerless seems to lack. It is an interesting mixture of old school looks coupled with modern modern luthiery: the very dark, simple sunburst - the lack of bling, but with nice modern touches, such as rounding off of the dusty end of the fretboard and the matt back and sides. The modern Godin-designed tailpiece may be a liitle out of place, but is better quality than most. HOwever, I had to change the black and silver knobs for something more fitting. The pickup is the Godin stock device and at this point in time I don't plan to replace it - although I'm sure the idea will never be far from my head. It will be interesting to see whether Godin are to change this on new models for a 3rd party pup, as suggested by Jim Soloway (SD 59 ?). With D'A Chromes 12s, I'm getting plenty of bell-like tones in the upper registers and quite a rich bass. I think this is going to keep me happy for some time
    Last edited by newsense; 01-26-2017 at 04:16 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Really cool boxes. As you note, incredibly light builds and very lively. Superb value too.

User Info Menu

I just got a Godin Jazz and am unsure about keeping my Peerless Monarch for many of the same reasons. The Monarch is a great guitar, too. Must be something about the Godin that is getting to me.

User Info Menu

There really is something about those 5th Avenues. They are extremely comfortable and they play really well. I have three of them now, and my Jazz rotates at gigs with my ES-175, a much more expensive guitar.

User Info Menu

I really think it's the weight and how resonant they are. Makes for a very fun guitar to play, and extremely comfortable.

User Info Menu

Every time I start jonesing for another electric archtop (e.g., the Big G), I play my Kingpin and realise that it really is all I need, and feels so right. (I'm still going to build a tele, though!)

I think that if I were to upgrade, I would most likely just bump up to a Composer... but then I would most definitely miss the killer P90s of the Kingpin.

If Godin put out a Composer with a P90 I would likely have a bit of a domestic on my hands.

MTA: Hurry up and sort out your picture upload already!

User Info Menu

Have you had the oppotunity to try the Epi 175 Premium, and compare it with the Composer?
    The only good archtop in my local guitar shop is the Godin Composer NT and I liked it a lot, but I'm still uncertain on the Epi Premium because it seems such a great value for the 175 thing. Problem is I can't try it..

User Info Menu

I've tried both, and in my opinion the Composer is just on a completely different level.

User Info Menu

Photos eventually uploaded to the 1st post using Tapatalk from my phone - hence not the best quality. Still can't upload from PC - independent of browser used (Firefox or Edge)

User Info Menu

That's what I suspect, that the Godin is a better quality guitar than the Epiphone.. and one thing I really like on the Godin is there's only a neck pickup.
    I have absolutely no use for the bridge pickup on a hollowbody. I might use it a bit to experiment a few minutes, but always go back to the neck PU very quickly.
    Jehu, would you mind develloping why you found that the Godin is a much better guitar than the Epi ?
    In terms of sound, playability? Did you you prefer the Godin neck?
    Thanks

User Info Menu

Just to add to the Epi 175 comparison. I did play one, but it was over 18 months ago, when they first appeared. I thought it played very nicely, but didn't jump as it didn't sound as full in the mid-range as the guitar I had at the time (an Eastman 403). Given the choice now between the Epi and the Godin, I decided to go with the Godin for a mixture of reasons. It is not a copy i.e. it is not trying to be a Gibson clone, - it has evolved from the 5th Ave range as a single pickup jazz guitar - which is what I was looking for. It probably has a more "modern" voice than the Epi. It is certainly high quality in terms of fit and finish, but then so is the Epi, and for less money, but I believe it has some nice design touches that are purely Godin, that help give it both resonance and clarity (if that's not contradictory). Also (big point) the Godin was available - Epi 175s are now as rare as hen's teeth in the UK - I believe there are only 1 or 2 available on line.

User Info Menu

I think Godin hit it out of the ballpark when they designed the 5th Avenue/Kingpin series. It is just a wonderful design in every way--weight, playability, looks. All at a very reasonable price for the quality and made in North America.

Soundwise, it hearkens back to older guitars (125's) but still has a modern vibe--hard to describe in words, but I think of it as a hybrid. It doesn't sound like other laminated jazzboxes like the 175.

If you really like the 175 thunk you might miss that in the Godin guitars. But in terms of having a warm, clean sound with excellent playability and ergonomics, you can't go wrong.

I have a 5th Avenue but if I were jonesing for a new one, the composer would sure tempt me.

User Info Menu

Ah, finally saw the picture. Nice looking guitar. Plain, simple, utilitarian, but classic.

RE: the Epi 175, if you want a 175 on a budget, that's your best bet. But honestly, my single pickup Kingpin (which retails for less than the Epi, even) is a much better guitar, so I imagine the Composer is even several steps above that.

Godin wins big in a lot of areas, quality is #1. I've never picked up a guitar from the 5th avenue series (from cheapest to the "jazz," although I have not yet played a Composer) that had any cheap guitar issues. No rattles or buzzes, fretwork was excellent, the guitars were set up properly, the nut was cut properly, the electronics were clean sounding, pots worked as they should all screws, nuts and bolts tight and tidy. In other words, I'm pretty confident if the need ever arose, I could buy a Godin anywhere and gig it that night. That's the feeling of confidence their guitars give me.

Nice pickup OP, play it in health.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I played a Kingpin yesterday that really knocked my socks off -- nice, throaty voice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    ...No rattles or buzzes, fretwork was excellent, the guitars were set up properly, the nut was cut properly, the electronics were clean sounding, pots worked as they should all screws, nuts and bolts tight and tidy. In other words, I'm pretty confident if the need ever arose, I could buy a Godin anywhere and gig it that night. That's the feeling of confidence their guitars give me...
    I agree wholeheartedly at least concerning the Jazz that I picked up. There is something about a guitar that feels both delicate and robust at the same time. Kind of compares to a nice Martin for me.

P.S. When I told my wife what kind of deal I got she gave it a thumbs up and said that she saw the same kind of price fall on a jacket at Amazon and snatched it up. I let out a big silent "Wheww!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I agree wholeheartedly at least concerning the Jazz that I picked up. There is something about a guitar that feels both delicate and robust at the same time. Kind of compares to a nice Martin for me.

P.S. When I told my wife what kind of deal I got she gave it a thumbs up and said that she saw the same kind of price fall on a jacket at Amazon and snatched it up. I let out a big silent "Wheww!"
    Lol, glad to hear it passed the minister of finance.

Delicate, yet robust. Yeah, that sums it up perfectly. Well made and solid, but not heavy and caked in gloss...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    Jehu, would you mind develloping why you found that the Godin is a much better guitar than the Epi ?
    In terms of sound, playability? Did you you prefer the Godin neck?
    Thanks
    I think the others have summed it up quite well... In terms of quality (fit, finish, and playability), the Godin is just a step above. As Mr. B mentioned, Godin's QC is hard to beat. The Composer is a pro-grade instrument, and I don't really feel that the Epi is in the same category.

Playability-wise, it is an individual thing. I really like the feel of the 5th Ave neck, but I know others don't. The composer has a 16" fretboard radius like the Kingpin series, and I suspect that takes getting used to for some. It also has a somewhat thinner neck profile.

Sound-wise, it's really up to what you want. As mentioned above, if you're looking for the Gibson thunk, the Epi is going to get you a lot closer... but you can get a fantastic clean sound out of the Godin. You can always change that humbucker, too.

Not to be too down on the Epi, because I really do think it is a great guitar for the price bracket, but I suspect that if you bought one you would never quite shake the feeling that you're playing the discount version of the guitar you really want.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    You can always change that humbucker, too.
    Stop putting ideas in my head !

....but let's imagine that someone might want to do that - what replacement pup might they chose ?

User Info Menu

Thank you for all the useful advice.
    Well, after a few weeks of research and going down all the forums I could (jazzguitar.be is by far the most interesting and informative by far!), and videos on internet, I've finally ordered the Epiphone Premium. I hope I'll get connected to it. What has pushed towards her are a few important things for me : the one piece mahogany neck/maple plywood construction/Gibson pickups and trapezoid inlays.. well the closest to the real Es175 in every respect, at an affordable price. The slim neck neck is also an aspect that incited me.. I know I won't bond with a baseball bat profile, I've got small hands (the Jimmie Vaughan Stratocaster has the best neck for me and it's quite thin).
    The only thing I won't like on the Epiphone is the bridge pickup, I don't need it. It would have made a simpler and lighter guitar without it, but it's no big deal after all. And the case... I've ordered one with it.
    But I think that overall I've made the right choice for me. It was my first choice in the beginning, so after 2 months of research I can't say it was an impulse buy! Oh, and it's the natural finish one by the way (I was going back and forth beetween the NT and the Wine Red... hard decision.. but I prefer the natural looking mahogany neck, very classy).
    Sorry for the long post, but since many here have been of great help for my decision, I felt like explaining things.
    Last edited by Jx30510; 01-26-2017 at 05:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    I've finally ordered the Epiphone Premium.
    Congrats, my man! Disregard anything negative I've said about your lovely new instrument.

User Info Menu

Thank you very much! No worries, every advice is good to take.Maybe in the future the Composer will be the next because it's a beautiful instrument.I really wanted the closest to the Es175, that's what guided my final choice.

User Info Menu

Then you made the right call. The Composer is not the right guitar for someone else who's trying to get close to a 175

User Info Menu

Nice guitars. Definitely on my list of candidates for a future laminate acquisition. The finish does look a lot nicer than on some of its Asian colleagues - definitely can't stand those thick poly coats. How do they make it?
    However pricing in Europe is unreasonable, i.e. like many North American brands they seem to be applying the "friendly upcharge" policy of +20% and often more for Europe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    Stop putting ideas in my head !

....but let's imagine that someone might want to do that - what replacement pup might they chose ?

Pups like guitars are so personal ... so I can only give you one of my favorites, which is the SD Benedetto A6.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Then you made the right call. The Composer is not the right guitar for someone else who's trying to get close to a 175

Which of course--just to play devil's advocate--is quite interesting because Philip Catherine retired his old roadworn 175 recently and has been playing a Godin Composer...and he sounds pretty much the same.