The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Heritage Guitars Eagle Classic & 575 Custom

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great to see a guy really appreciating his guitars.
    MD

User Info Menu

Rich Severson has been using video to sell guitars and lessons for years. He has a nice relaxed presence.

User Info Menu

Ha, I was just about to post this video. I've never heard such warmth from a 575. Rich is a one of a kind instructor. So Rich is now selling Heritage - kewl!

User Info Menu

What I have noticed in his videos is that he frequently plays, and is looking away, listening....as he plays. To me, his lines always sound great. And he plays well in a ton of different styles.

User Info Menu

I like Rich but I am confused, why would someone want to go to him when Heritage guitars are so readily available?

User Info Menu

Their distribution is funny.

In many states, they have no dealers. NY has a total of 3--two on Long Island, one way upstate.

California has many dealers, as does Massachusetts.

Arizona-none.

Idaho--none.

Fla.--two.

I wouldn't say they are rare, but they're not the most widely distributed brand.

User Info Menu

Both the 575 and the Eagle Classic sound great. Are they being played through the Quilter behind Jack?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by goldenwave77
    Their distribution is funny.

In many states, they have no dealers. NY has a total of 3--two on Long Island, one way upstate.

California has many dealers, as does Massachusetts.

Arizona-none.

Idaho--none.

Fla.--two.

I wouldn't say they are rare, but they're not the most widely distributed brand.
    But still, if you're going to order from him, you can probably get a big discount ordering elsewhere on the internet, like Reverb.com.

User Info Menu

Maybe, maybe not. A lot of the guitar asking prices on reverb.com are frankly wishful thinking.

I suppose buying from Rich is like buying from other guitar dealers. I know he buys and restores guitars, and I think he knows his way around instruments, and I think he is a straight shooter. A decent dealer usually stands behind what he sells.

I remember early in my guitar buying days, negotiating the price down on a Norlin-era 347 in a private sale. The guy was SO upset that I wouldn't pay him what 335's were selling for. As it was, I had to put some money into the guitar for a refret which improved it immensely. So, all in all, I almost got taken, but managed to kind of "break even". I think I played it for about 3 years, and probably sold it for a small loss ($200 or so, back in the '80's).

(Private cash sales are where you can get deals, but there is risk involved. I scored a great buy on a Guild x500 in a MUSIC store in Columbus, OH....They handled a lot of pointy-headed rock guitars in a college town where freshmen showed up and pawned/sold their Kramers for beer money. The people in this store really didn't know what they had. Saw it on a business trip, bought it in 5 minutes, and had it shipped home to my surprised wife, and kept it for a yr. and cleared 40%, selling it to a dealer at a gtr. show. Still, it was a great guitar, so maybe I wasn't so smart after all...if I tried to buy it today, I'd have to pay $1000 more, but I wasn't in love with it. Almost impossible to buy at retail, and resell to dealers and not lose money....in a private sale, you'll lose less, or maybe break even.) The economy is recovering now...I don't think you'll be seeing great buying opportunities like you did 5 yrs. ago.

Reverb.com are just middlemen, not a real retailer. They got into the business when ebay committed suicide by raising their fees too high.
    Last edited by goldenwave77; 01-17-2017 at 12:13 AM.

User Info Menu

Maybe, maybe not. A lot of the guitar asking prices on reverb.com are frankly wishful thinking.

I suppose buying from Rich is like buying from other guitar dealers. I know he buys and restores guitars, and I think he knows his way around instruments, and I think he is a straight shooter. A decent dealer usually stands behind what he sells.

I remember early in my guitar buying days, negotiating the price down on a Norlin-era 347 in a private sale. The guy was SO upset that I wouldn't pay him what 335's were selling for. As it was, I had to put some money into the guitar for a refret which improved it immensely. So, all in all, I almost got taken, but managed to kind of "break even". I think I played it for about 3 years, and probably sold it for a small loss ($200 or so, back in the '80's).

(Private cash sales are where you can get deals, but there is risk involved. I scored a great buy on a Guild x500 in a MUSIC store in Columbus, OH....They handled a lot of pointy-headed rock guitars in a college town where freshmen showed up and pawned/sold their Kramers for beer money. The people in this store really didn't know what they had. Saw it on a business trip, bought it in 5 minutes, and had it shipped home to my surprised wife, and kept it for a yr. and cleared 40%, selling it to a dealer at a gtr. show. Still, it was a great guitar, so maybe I wasn't so smart after all...if I tried to buy it today, I'd have to pay $1000 more, but I wasn't in love with it. Almost impossible to buy at retail, and resell to dealers and not lose money....in a private sale, you'll lose less, or maybe break even.) The economy is recovering now...I don't think you'll be seeing great buying opportunities like you did 5 yrs. ago.

Reverb.com are just middlemen, not a real retailer. They got into the business when ebay committed suicide by raising their fees too high.
    Some of them ARE retailers. I bought my 575 new from Reverb.

User Info Menu

Many - maybe even most - of the listings I see on Reverb are from retailers. The high prices start there. Even the private sellers seem to take their cues from retailer prices. I've had a few discussions with sellers about prices; some of them are well aware the prices are not real, are pretty open to discounting. Often enough, you'll see the same item listed on CL somewhere with a lower price.
    MD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wharriso
    Some of them ARE retailers. I bought my 575 new from Reverb.
    But it is the retailer who is using Reverb.com, as a middleman. In that case, the real seller, may well stand behind the product more than Joe Private Seller who usually sells on a "buyer beware" basis. There is usually an implied warranty of fitness for sales of goods--i.e. the item does what it is supposed to do....so if you buy a guitar or amp from a guy that is in the business of selling them, a merchant, and the guitar won't hold tune or the top is caved in, or the amp won't power up, theoretically and legally you have a claim back against them, unless they disclaimed conspicuously the warranty of merchantability. Having a middleman involved, which is what Reverb or ebay is, complicates things legally.

There is a famous case that every first yr. law student in America reads, the McPherson Buick case in which Buick Motors tried to disclaim product liability on the ground that Buick didn't sell Joe Unfortunate the defective car, it was the DEALER...so go sue the dealer and leave us (Buick, the mfg.) alone. J. Cardozo back in 1937 said, basically, Get real guys ...you're a mfg. and you built the car with the intent of placing it into the stream of commerce, and trying to disclaim liability on the technicalities of who transferred title (the dealer here) shouldn't wash. So that case, for the purposes of product liability, overturned the common law doctrine that the claimant must be in "privity of contract" (must have bought directly from the person you are suing). Things get a lot dicier, legally, for 2nd hand, or altered goods, because the mfg. can't know what someone else did to their product in the interim.

Most auctioneers disclaim warranties. Buyers need to "kick a few tires" and satisfy themselves. This forum is full of stories of buyers whose purchases didn't quite meet their expectation. If they asked a lot of questions, and got answers, preferably in writing, they will stand better if there is an issue. Ultimately, reputation means something. In a world in which there is no security, and fraud is rampant, then transactions become very expensive...we're back in the world of the Spice Trade of the 1200's where people traveled in armed caravans from the East, to avoid being ripped off by bad guys and banditos, along the way...not surprisingly, pepper and cinnamon and things like that were costly luxuries. Once the sea routes opened up, security got better and prices fell. (Granted there were pirates, but this was better than worrying about being ambushed along every turn in the road.)

I don't want to go into an extended discussion of Reverb.com. They may well offer some sort of guarantee of what they sell. I haven't used them, so I can't speak from first hand knowledge. If retailers are there offering competition, then any other seller (including Rich) in a way competes with them.
    Last edited by goldenwave77; 01-17-2017 at 08:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Reverb only stands behind a buyer when they use Reverb checkout. If you pay for your item directly via paypal Reverb does not act on behalf of a buyer. A buyer still has the "protection" of Paypal, whatever that amounts to, as its not always guaranteed Paypal will act on a buyers behalf, but Paypal will act on a buyers behalf more times than not.

Regarding "good buys" they're still out there. One has to search to find them.

User Info Menu

But it is the retailer who is using Reverb.com, as a middleman. In that case, the real seller, may well stand behind the product more than Joe Private Seller who usually sells on a "buyer beware" basis. There is usually an implied warranty of fitness for sales of goods--i.e. the item does what it is supposed to do....so if you buy a guitar or amp from a guy that is in the business of selling them, a merchant, and the guitar won't hold tune or the top is caved in, or the amp won't power up, theoretically and legally you have a claim back against them, unless they disclaimed conspicuously the warranty of merchantability. Having a middleman involved, which is what Reverb or ebay is, complicates things legally.

There is a famous case that every first yr. law student in America reads, the McPherson Buick case in which Buick Motors tried to disclaim product liability on the ground that Buick didn't sell Joe Unfortunate the defective car, it was the DEALER...so go sue the dealer and leave us (Buick, the mfg.) alone. J. Cardozo back in 1937 said, basically, Get real guys ...you're a mfg. and you built the car with the intent of placing it into the stream of commerce, and trying to disclaim liability on the technicalities of who transferred title (the dealer here) shouldn't wash. So that case, for the purposes of product liability, overturned the common law doctrine that the claimant must be in "privity of contract" (must have bought directly from the person you are suing). Things get a lot dicier, legally, for 2nd hand, or altered goods, because the mfg. can't know what someone else did to their product in the interim.

Most auctioneers disclaim warranties. Buyers need to "kick a few tires" and satisfy themselves. This forum is full of stories of buyers whose purchases didn't quite meet their expectation. If they asked a lot of questions, and got answers, preferably in writing, they will stand better if there is an issue. Ultimately, reputation means something. In a world in which there is no security, and fraud is rampant, then transactions become very expensive...we're back in the world of the Spice Trade of the 1200's where people traveled in armed caravans from the East, to avoid being ripped off by bad guys and banditos, along the way...not surprisingly, pepper and cinnamon and things like that were costly luxuries. Once the sea routes opened up, security got better and prices fell. (Granted there were pirates, but this was better than worrying about being ambushed along every turn in the road.)

I don't want to go into an extended discussion of Reverb.com. They may well offer some sort of guarantee of what they sell. I haven't used them, so I can't speak from first hand knowledge. If retailers are there offering competition, then any other seller (including Rich) in a way competes with them.
    This whole speech is confusing to me. I understand "implied warranties", but when you purchase something through Reverb, the actual seller is the one you are doing business with. The actual seller is the one you agree on an actual price with. The actual seller is the one who sets the payment method. The actual seller tells you when the item will ship. So why even worry about what sales site is used if you are dealing with the actual seller for everything but the feedback?
    Last edited by wharriso; 01-17-2017 at 07:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Well it's not a speech, it's an attempt to set out some out some of the principles that will govern, if something hits the fan.

You're probably right if Reverb.com is simply running an electronic billboard, or the equivalent of a newspaper. My advice remains the same: Ask a lot of questions, get things in writing, and read the fine print, both of what is being offered directly, and what responsibility, Reverb.com has, if any, for what their sellers say. (Probably the car dealer analogy is a poor one: Reverb.com is probably never taking delivery, or title, to any of the goods. But that doesn't make the situation any simpler, in reality.)

Maybe they (Reverb.com) takes the position that "we're simply middlemen....we will print and repeat anything we are told, we have no responsibility for anything that is said, and we will collect a fee from the seller (or directly from the buyer, by a deduction from the purchase price)."

If it's the latter, that means you have some relationship, with Reverb.com so that they can receive a deduction from the purchase price, for their transaction fees. (Or maybe you don't in which case, if the deal unwinds, you might be out the transaction fee. There are lots of possibilities here---none of which are self-evident, or foreordained, and 3-way relationships can get complicated quickly, esp. when one or more of the parties is not clear on how they work.)

Ebay did offer some sort of protection to buyers with their dispute settlement program, and at one pt., I think they even had a formal escrow arrangement that one could use for about a 3% fee. Maybe Reverb.com has this, or maybe they don't. If they are pure middlemen, then they COULD tell you (the injured buyer)---"Tough luck...deal with your seller, and pursue him....that's your lookout and don't come crying to us."

In that case, your money is gone...you have a guitar that is not what you wanted, or is defective, and you're right...deal away with your seller who may be on the opposite side of the country. If this is the way Reverb.com works, and I'm not saying it is ...just keep in mind what you're engaging in...possibly a long-distance transaction facilitated by the "miracle of digital communication".

You were the one who brought up Reverb.com. (You said before you "bought your 575 from Reverb". Now I guess you're saying, you didn't, and that you bought from the listing party/seller, using the Reverb listing service.)

My point was that I think Rich Severson is a straight shooter, and that reputation does count in business dealings, because people tend to back up words, with performance, and to resolve problems.

But you're free to deal with whoever you want.
    Last edited by goldenwave77; 01-17-2017 at 07:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Well it's not a speech, it's an attempt to set out some out some of the principles that will govern, if something hits the fan.

You're probably right if Reverb.com is simply running an electronic billboard, or the equivalent of a newspaper. My advice remains the same: Ask a lot of questions, get things in writing, and read the fine print, both of what is being offered directly, and what responsibility, Reverb.com has, if any, for what their sellers say.

Maybe they (Reverb.com) takes the position that "we're simply middlemen....we will print and repeat anything we are told, we have no responsibility for anything that is said, and we will collect a fee from the seller (or directly from the buyer, by a deduction from the purchase price)."

If it's the latter, that means you have some relationship, with Reverb.com so that they can receive a deduction from the purchase price, for their transaction fees. (Or maybe you don't in which case, if the deal unwinds, you might be out the transaction fee. There are lots of possibilities here---none of which are self-evident, or foreordained, and 3-way relationships can get complicated quickly, esp. when one or more of the parties is not clear on how they work.)

Ebay did offer some sort of protection to buyers with their dispute settlement program, and at one pt., I think they even had a formal escrow arrangement that one could use for about a 3% fee. Maybe Reverb.com has this, or maybe they don't. If they are pure middlemen, then they COULD tell you (the injured buyer)---"Tough luck...deal with your seller, and pursue him....that's your lookout and don't come crying to us."

In that case, your money is gone...you have a guitar that is not what you wanted, or is defective, and you're right...deal away with your seller who may be on the opposite side of the country. If this is the way Reverb.com works, and I'm not saying it is ...just keep in mind what you're engaging in...possibly a long-distance transaction facilitated by the "miracle of digital communication".

You were the one who brought up Reverb.com.

My point was that I think Rich Severson is a straight shooter, and that reputation does count in business dealings, because people tend to back up words, with performance, and to resolve problems.

But you're free to deal with whoever you want.
    You're taking your chances with Guitar Center, Musicians Friend, Amazon, Zzounds, Sam Ash, OR Rich Severson. There are people who will recommend ALL of those retailers, just as you recommend Rich. Retailers on Reverb have web sites just like the rest of them do, along with their positive feedback. If you cast doubt on Reverb, where many of us purchase our instruments from, it seems to me that you should have more than conjecture for doing so.

User Info Menu

The difference is that Reverb.com is an electronic mouthpiece, a facilitator. If I dealt directly with the others, they are clearly merchants.

Reverb probably is not. Do they attempt to verify what people say to them? Should they?...they are middlemen. Some of their clients are real retailers, some are not. Particularly with individuals who buy/sell guitars sporadically, there is potential for outright fraud. I was burned in exactly this way....the guy I bought an inexpensive Classical guitar from disappeared off into cyberspace. $150 is not going to kill me, but for sure it is aggravating.

Do what you wish. You're free to be...whatever you wish in terms of buying. Do a little research here, and I think you'll find that not all the Reverb tales are rosy ones.

User Info Menu

Do what you wish. You're free to be...whatever you wish in terms of buying. Do a little research here, and I think you'll find that not all the Reverb tales are rosy ones.
    That applies to ALL retailers.

User Info Menu

Yes, but when direct retailers engage in misrepresentation, consumer response/retribution is more certain and the legalities are more clearcut.

Reverb.com and other auction sites, pull their Pontius Pilate routine, and say, "Not our problem...we just repeat what our sellers tell us...don't look to us...they are the problem."

User Info Menu

Yes, but when direct retailers engage in misrepresentation, consumer response/retribution is more certain and the legalities are more clearcut.

Reverb.com and other auction sites, pull their Pontius Pilate routine, and say, "Not our problem...we just repeat what our sellers tell us...don't look to us...they are the problem."
    Reverb is not an auction site. In the end you are always dealing with the retailer, either through Reverb or though their own site. I use Paypal so that covers me. For all I know, Rich could be engaging in "misrepresentation" as well. When you paint with a broad brush, it tends to cover everything.

User Info Menu

You've cast aspersions on Rich Severson with absolutely no basis. You have no pricing information, but insist others will do better.

I've shared my bad experiences with ebay, and I'm sure I am not alone in this regard. Others on this very site have had bad REverb.com experiences. You can do the research. I won't do your work for you, but it's here.

And finally, if you can't understand that when a site is compensated and making money by being a transaction facilitator (a polite word for it), there are likely to be abuses, esp. when dealing with amateur sellers who are not always knowledgeable, not always honest, and will often, as not, not be there tomorrow, I don't know what to say. Your naiveté is astounding.

I don't know what motivated you to make your original comment, but at this point, your good faith deserves to be called into question.

User Info Menu

You've cast aspersions on Rich Severson with absolutely no basis. You have no pricing information, but insist others will do better.

I've shared my bad experiences with ebay, and I'm sure I am not alone in this regard. Others on this very site have had bad REverb.com experiences. You can do the research. I won't do your work for you, but it's here.

And finally, if you can't understand that when a site is compensated and making money by being a transaction facilitator (a polite word for it), there are likely to be abuses, esp. when dealing with amateur sellers who are not always knowledgeable, not always honest, and will often, as not, not be there tomorrow, I don't know what to say. Your naiveté is astounding.

I don't know what motivated you to make your original comment, but at this point, your good faith deserves to be called into question.
    I simply asked why order from him when you can get one from the usual places. He's talking about a 6 month turnaround. You can get a new one though other channels in a couple of days. I never cast aspersions on anyone, you are the one claiming Reverb is dishonest, despite the experiences me and others have had. I just said a broad brush covers everyone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wharriso
    I simply asked why order from him when you can get one from the usual places. He's talking about a 6 month turnaround. You can get a new one though other channels in a couple of days. I never cast aspersions on anyone, you are the one claiming Reverb is dishonest, despite the experiences me and others have had. I just said a broad brush covers everyone.
    Actually, Rich is talking about a "6 month wait" for a custom ordered guitar, not one produced and ordered by a dealers specs. Big difference if you want it the way you want it.

User Info Menu

Because he usually buys used and fixes them up.. go check out some of his vids promoting his finds.. I love what he does. He not only plays, but he's a pretty good luthier as well. He also usually changes the bridge out from wood to metal and sometimes changes the tail piece. He also conditions the fret board and polishes the frets. These guitars are used so they're cheaper. If I didn't already have one, I'd def buy from him.