The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 46 of 46

User Info Menu

Good call, David. Man, that's one good sounding 175...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    I tried to do some math:

1994 - 175

1997 - L5

1999 - Zeidler

So, maybe "Somethin's Burnin'" and "Signs of Life" were recorded with the 175? It sounds so much like a Gibson Wes Montgomery (L5)...
    I think you're right, Jorge. I think I have to correct myself, clearly Peter had the Zeidler with Krall in '99 and I'm pretty sure they didn't play in my town before that. I would swear he had an L5 on that gig. When did Anthony Wilson start with Krall? He was here with her, as well. Anyway, killer tone through a rental Twin, and definitely had the Wes vibe going on that night, whenever it was. I suppose he should know when he started playing the thing
    Last edited by yebdox; 01-07-2017 at 12:40 PM.

User Info Menu

David, do you know anything about that 175? Looks like an early 70's model, but can't see if it's a maple or mahogany neck. It does sound good!

User Info Menu

Anyone know what type of pickup is in the Zeidler?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sbeishline
    Anyone know what type of pickup is in the Zeidler?

I think its a Gibson 57 classic or similar, cut down and installed as a floating pickup. I vaguely recall that it came out of a Howard Roberts, but don't quote me on that. It's apparently nothing exotic.

User Info Menu

Saw Peter two months ago in my hometown, love his tone with the Zeidler. I made a little recording:

User Info Menu

This thread inspired me to go back and listen to "Let Loose" again...man, what a great album, and in my opinion, perfect guitar tone.

Now that we know it's a 175, it sounds a bit more than a 175 to me, but still more like an L-5 :-D

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    [...] in my opinion, perfect guitar tone.
    I couldn't disagree more! and that's the beauty of this forum!

Every time I listen to a jazz guitar album and say "wow, what a great sound", it turns out to be an L-5. This happened now with the Redman album and during the last couple months with Yotam Silverstein's "Next Page" and John Klopotowski "Project 59". Each time without knowing I was stunned by the sound, with Yotam I've contacted him even to find out and he confirmed the instrument ;-)

Before posting that I've even had another listen to "Let Loose" and "Freedom in the Groove", this time on my headphones (Sennheiser HD600) and for me there is nothing to compare - I just like the older recording much more (in terms of sound!)

User Info Menu

I tried to do some math:

1994 - 175

1997 - L5

1999 - Zeidler

So, maybe "Somethin's Burnin'" and "Signs of Life" were recorded with the 175? It sounds so much like a Gibson Wes Montgomery (L5)...

According to this math, is it safe to say that in "Brain Dance" and "Earth Tones" albums PB is playing an L5?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kkfan
    According to this math, is it safe to say that in "Brain Dance" and "Earth Tones" albums PB is playing an L5?
    I guess so... not really sure!

Refreshing - I'm listening to Mel's Spell - Melvin Rhyne Trio with Peter Bernstein on guitar. Great CD, great lines Peter plays there! Recorded 1994/95. Sounds very much like and L5/Wes, any opinions on this? I guess around 1994/95 he must have had both - the 175 and the Wes...

Another discovery - Ralph Bowen - Spul Proprietor with Pete on guitar. Excellent playing and very nice sound, it’s from 2002 so probably on the Zeidler.

Here’s Pete’s solo over Inner Urge (can’t find any song in full length on yt):

User Info Menu

Pete's guitar since 1999 is his Zeidler ("Brown Betty"). He still has the blonde 175 ("Old Yella") at home.

Here's a 2015 shot of Old Yella courtesy of mutual friend, luthier Pablo Valle.

Peter Bernstein on Gibson L-5-11899952_10206982821110763_5878747592724614717_n-jpg

I had dinner with Pete and some other musician friends earlier this year. The L5 came up in conversation - he said it was a 95 or 96 Wes Montgomery model and a dog of a guitar. Tight, hard to play, needed a neck reset very early on - he doesn't miss it!

Funnily enough someone is currently selling Pete's old L5 on Reverb at the moment: https://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-l-5-sunburst

Thanks for posting this, love the tone and playing - what great choice of notes, and it's really nice to see it written down to dig into it.

The album is available on streaming and CD, so listening to the whole album now.

I like his playing and touch so much he sounds great on all the guitars he's played, and while I always love the sound of an L-5 or Wes sound for playing in a group, this clip with the Zeidler sounds amazing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jzjazz
    Another discovery - Ralph Bowen - Spul Proprietor with Pete on guitar. Excellent playing and very nice sound, it’s from 2002 so probably on the Zeidler.

Here’s Pete’s solo over Inner Urge (can’t find any song in full length on yt):

User Info Menu

John Zeidler was a very meticulous Luthier and his work is highly regarded. Peter B has tried other guitars - but the Zeidler is indeed a perfect fit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    I think its a Gibson 57 classic or similar, cut down and installed as a floating pickup. I vaguely recall that it came out of a Howard Roberts, but don't quote me on that. It's apparently nothing exotic.
    Yep, somewhere in an interview Pete stated it's a Gibson Howard Roberts pickup. That is apparently a somewhat different pickup from a Classic 57- which listening to the tone people tend to get on the HR guitars that makes sense.

User Info Menu

Resurrecting this thread does anyone know what amp he’s using on Signs? Is it a Super Reverb? Great tone, just listening to it again today.

User Info Menu

Yeah! That solo is on fire! Thanks for sharing this. I love Bernstein's playing, and that L5 sounds SWEET!

User Info Menu

But his playing with Diana Krall compared to Anthony Wilson’s playing with Diana is like night and day. Where’s the rhythmic ideas, or continuity with the chords. He seemed like a rookie player trying to play jazz. Surely everyone must hear the difference? Observe how Diana is grooving and interacting with AW. With Pete, there’s no such interaction.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Where’s the rhythmic ideas, or continuity with the chords. He seemed like a rookie player trying to play jazz.
    well .... everyone is entitled to their view
    i guess ....

I wish I could play the rookie like that !