The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 47 of 47

User Info Menu

Everything is right about this guitar.
    The accurate proportions and symmetry to the Gibson L5, the color, the inlay work and the tailpiece.
    Mark took an already superlative design and tweaked it just enough to make it a really special guitar.
    And the 3” depth on the L5 design (ala Johnny Smiths, Tal Farlow and Golden Eagles), make the guitar a perfect companion for the player. So comfortable. Now that Gibson has decided to only make the L5 to order and do so at insane prices, these guitars as well as the Countless others who hand make L5 inspired guitars should do very well.
    PDeville, you have a BEAUTIFUL guitar there sir. Thank you for sharing it with us.
    Joe D

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks Joe, I am glad you like the pictures. The 3" depth is much better for me.
    Here are a few more photos that show the back, etc. And yes, if Gibson would make the guitar I wanted for a realistic price, I would have bought one 10-15 years ago. I still have two that I like very much (not L5s!!). Actually, I was ready to buy an early 50s ES-350 several times, but I don't want P90s. I like humbucking pickups much more.

I will try to get sound clips recorded with my Direct interface, post them.

PDeville
    Attached Images Attached Images Campellone Deluxe-img_0659-jpg Campellone Deluxe-img_0663-jpg Campellone Deluxe-img_0660-jpg Campellone Deluxe-img_0656-jpg 

User Info Menu

Hi,
    Quick question, what color sunburst is that. I'm going to be ordering a new Special, I think that's the color. I don't believe that's vintage sunburst, is it Chestnut?
    Thanks
    Don Nielsen

User Info Menu

This is his dark cherry sunburstCampellone Deluxe-87864248-96a8-4d13-bd9e-9c7d828f8493-jpgCampellone Deluxe-9c9a7f26-e3d8-4dbb-b123-e9018525c2bd-jpgCampellone Deluxe-7be70142-a442-4ea3-932e-0b0512a558f1-jpgCampellone Deluxe-b933c13e-597b-46a8-89ee-0b382d63788b-jpg

User Info Menu

vinny that cherryburst is spectacular...that's a true vintage style burst!!!..i remember vintage rickenbackers had bursts like that sometimes...they called it fireglo!

hats off to mr. campellone

Campellone Deluxe-01083_01083_front-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

Very nice! The woods have especially nice graining/figuring.

User Info Menu

Mark C. told me his chestnut sunburst is his most popular these days.

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar and color.
    It reminds me of a circa '64 Gibson sunburst, not quite as brown on the edges like the 'iced tea' burst they were spraying a few yrs earlier, but not as cherry/reddish as the later 60s -70s (exception being circa '67-'68 Gibsons which had a darker bust)
    Mark really knows how to shade a finish....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 17571
    Hi,
    Quick question, what color sunburst is that. I'm going to be ordering a new Special, I think that's the color. I don't believe that's vintage sunburst, is it Chestnut?
    Thanks
    Don Nielsen
    Hello Don. The finish is similar to his Chestnut Sunburst but it is slightly modified, per my request based on some vintage guitar photos. It more more brown than dark red, a little lighter than his Chestnut, maybe. It is not even similar to vintage sunburst which is black around the rims.
    He can't guarantee to match a finish seen in a photo, because sunburst finishes look different depending on the light in the room, angle and photo quality. Yet, it does look like the photo I sent him. It is nice,though, any way I look at it.

User Info Menu

Mark can really spray a great sunburst. He mixes his own colors. He has his standard colors but am sure he can mix up any color you want.

His long career is finally getting the recognition as one of the world’s best archtop builders. He will be in the history books along with John and Jimmy. Hopefully not for a long time though.
    Building archtops is a very dedicated art form that doesn’t pay well unless you are Monteleone. John and Jimmy the 2 most famous builders just got by financially. I admire all these guys greatly and there legacy will only get bigger. Archtop passion though very small is very huge.

User Info Menu

PDeville,
    Thanks for the info. In November 2019, I ordered a Special model from Mark. At that time, new order 2020 builds for the entire year were wide open. Prior to that order, in August I had made an offer on an estate sale 1959 L-5C. The family declined that offer. Naturally the way things always work, 3 days after placing my order with mark, the family contacted me & accepted my offer. They even included free shipping to seal the deal. So I cancelled my order with Mark & made the $8500.00 purchase. As the months went by, I had cancellation remorse & attempted to re-order with Mark this past April. Mark informed me his entire batch of 2020 order slots were full & I would now be on next years waiting list.
    I made my first Campellone purchase back in 1991, as one of his early customers. My first Campellone was a short lived, plywood 17" "WES" style for $1,900.00 with shipping) . I knew back then that his talent level was on par with the best. Mark actually took that guitar back as a trade.
    Right after the news on my order status, I found a beautiful "mint" Campellone special in Amber burst on Archtop.com at nearly a 3rd off current prices. I scooped it up without hesitation.
    Mark apologized for my order delay ( no reason to apologize of course), so now I wait my turn. If you can give me the first three numbers of your serial number, he can most likely do a real close version of that BEAUTIFUL color.
    Thanks
    Don
    Last edited by 17571; 05-05-2020 at 05:54 PM.

User Info Menu

I recorded this using a FocusRite and Garage Band Plugin

Anyway, I posted pictures of the Deluxe a few months back, so I thought a few people might want to hear it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

Very nice playing end sound. The resonance of the instrument can be heard very clearly. Thanks

Enviado desde mi LG-H870 mediante Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Nice playing. Sounds very good. Is this a 16 or 17 inch model?

User Info Menu

One of my favorite tunes! Nice to hear your Campellone. One of the better sound examples I've heard. I appreciate the patience in your playing. Thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

Excellent arrangement and solid tone. I'm waiting for a Campellone Deluxe to arrive within the next few months.

Thanks for posting.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

PDeville
    You did Mark proud on that one. Very beautiful, flowing lines. The guitar sounds flawless. Great playing.
    Thanks for sharing.
    JD

User Info Menu

Thanks all....
    Gustavo> The guitar is very resonant acoustically, so it's good that you can hear it.

Tal> It is a 17" with a mounted humbucker.

SkiBoy> One of mine too. Thanks, it's not that easy for me to get a decent recorded tone. I am working on it and received that FocusRite yesterday.

TonyD> Thanks! The "arrangement" changes slightly every time I play it! I don't do much chord melody, I think.

JD> Thanks for the kind words. I saw your video two days ago and liked that one as I do your other solo pieces. It is was very unique. And, your video reminded me that I play that tune and need get a recording so people can hear the guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by agentsmith
    I disagree that campellones are every bit as good as an L5. They are constructed different, sound different and when you go to sell the campellone, be prepared to list it for years before you get a buyer.
    First off, I love Gibson L-5C acoustics. I personally own a 59 & a 1980 model. The reason Campellone used guitars sit for so long is simple, most sellers attempt to regain most or all their purchase price. Mark still makes guitars so you can get a new one in a few short months that meets your exact specs, for close to, or the same price. Most Gibson L-5C listings can also sit for years, lets face it these are all expensive.
    As for construction & sound, your right, Campellones tend to be more mellow with less treble and in my view more projection & volume. Mark uses a "light parallel" bracing & does a variation of "tap"tuning" when carving the top, that retains strength, yet enhances tone & volume. You'll never get the new Gibson corp salaried employee to take the time, even if he had the talent, to go through the same process and produce the same results. Remember Mark makes EVERY INSTRUMENT himself so his instruments are far more consistent. Don't forget his name & reputation also go out the door every time one is shipped. Actually when it comes to the new Gibson corp, it's all theory as they don't make L-5C acoustics anymore.
    Don't forget if desired, you can still special order a full acoustic "X" braced Campellone, try ordering one of those through Gibson, or for that matter, most other competitors.
    I remember before D'Aquisto died, his instruments were in the $2500 range. Everyone has opinions, mine is that once mark moves on to the hereafter, his guitars will rival D'Angelico & other high end, no longer produced models.
    Last edited by 17571; 06-01-2020 at 05:18 PM.

User Info Menu

FWIW, I believe Aaron Cowles when he worked for Gibson in Kalamazoo tap tuned tops. Gibson Nashville still had him tap L5 mandolin tops as part work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by agentsmith
    I disagree that campellones are every bit as good as an L5. They are constructed different, sound different and when you go to sell the campellone, be prepared to list it for years before you get a buyer.
    Irrelevant. If the player/buyer thinks that a Campellone is as good as an L5, that's the only point. By the way, L5s are constructed differently from each other, with different woods, and sound different from each other as well. And resale value is completely irrelevant to the serious player who has decided that the Campellone is the right guitar for him or her.

User Info Menu

Hey - Wait a minute! You're comparing guitars and cars

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    I build guitars, so I'm biased. But to me looking at that Campellone and saying "buy a Gibson" is something like seeing a hand made Pagani and saying buy a Corvette.

No knock on the Corvette. Probably the best bang for your performance car buck. But if you are in the market for a hand made Italian super car, you are probably looking for things even the best mass produced sports car isn't going to give you.

You can argue that you can use the Corvette every day, or that you don't need 700hp, or that tires for the Pagani cost as much as a new mustang. But it's meant for drivers who aren't thinking "practical".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk