The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 202

User Info Menu

I like a reverb pedal or maybe a delay, and a dirt pedal to get some of the sound of a tube amp on the edge. My sonic goal is Charlie Christian/Barney Kessel/Rene Thomas/Kenny Burrell type stuff. It's old school, but it's what I like. I'm very unimaginative with effects

Reverb pedal: I love the Catalinbread talisman, which emulates a plate reverb and has controls that make it really easy for me to get the verb to sit right, so it's present but not obvious

Dirt: The TC electronic Mojomojo is really good and really cheap. I also really like the Moog MFDrive. I have a catalinbread Formula 55 but I'm on the fence about it. It introduces a LOT of compression

Delay: I have a strymon El Capistan which I usually use like an ambient, room-sound reverb.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What's the best pedal to go an
    octave down to sub for a missing
    bass player ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    What's the best pedal to go an
    octave down to sub for a missing
    bass player ?
    There are many quirky analog ones but the industry standard is the EHX (Micro) Pog (which is digital).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    There are many quirky analog ones but the industry standard is the EHX (Micro) Pog (which is digital).

Can't find any good video demos of
    guitar impersonating a bass
    I just want the octave down without any
    direct guitar signal at all

Difficult to find

User Info Menu

Can't find any good video demos of
    guitar impersonating a bass
    I just want the octave down without any
    direct guitar signal at all

Difficult to find
    Not really.

EHX Micro Pog
    Boss OC-3
    TC Electronic Sub n Up

All will do what you want. They all have a "dry" or mix control, which allows you to blend the original and octave sounds or to dial out the original sound all together.

User Info Menu

The POG 2 works really well for emulating a bass. I don't know about the micro Pog since it has restricted features. The Pog 2 is expensive, but it sounds great, in particular for those bass sounds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLearns
    The POG 2 works really well for emulating a bass. I don't know about the micro Pog since it has restricted features. The Pog 2 is expensive, but it sounds great, in particular for those bass sounds.
    Sounds like what he needs are lower octave and good tracking. For that the micro Pog is at least as good as the Pog 2, imho. No swells, organ or presets needed (they are incredible though ).

User Info Menu

Any good videos of them doing
    the 'Guitar does bass' thing ?
    You're likely better off going to a local guitar shop and checking it out, these are pretty common pedals. I chose the Pog but the OC3 and sub and up that David recommended are fine as well.

FWIW the "bass" of the white stripes is generally a guitar through a whammy pedal (e.g. Seven nation army). Not the jazziest example, I know

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    Sounds like what he needs are lower octave and good tracking. For that the micro Pog is at least as good as the Pog 2, imho. No swells, organ or presets needed (they are incredible though ).
    I think that you're perfectly right. That swell is really cool though if one wants to emulate an upright bass that is played with a bow. But anyways, these are details. The more important point is that the bass emulation sounds very good and the tracking of the POG is great - so much more pleasant than a guitar with a synth pickup system or things like that.

User Info Menu

Yes just need the 'guitar as bass' thing

Thanks for the micro pog Info's chaps

any vids or audio clips of it doing
    a basic bass sound
    Just walking ... nothing funky

User Info Menu

This guy makes nice demos. I haven't watched it to the end, but I'm sure he'll do the bass thing somewhere. I would record something for you, but my pedalboard with the POG is not currently assembled.

User Info Menu

I had an old video of Jim Hall playing an original tune with some sort of detune pedal. It sounded great! (Of course, the fact that it was JH using it is not irrelevant.)

I think it was Bruce Forman who told a story about Joe Pass discovering a chorus pedal (about a decade or more late) and bringing it to a gig/jam session thinking it was the greatest thing he ever heard! It's funny the way he tells it and completely in keeping with Joe's reputation.

I have my Ibanez going into a looper (RC3) going into my Fender Mustang V2. The looper is great. I use it for practice. The Mustang is acceptable. That's my complete setup. I have a JBL ION PA if I want to amplify the Mustang.

I deliberately decided not to get crazy with gizmos. It just takes time away from playing. Although an octave thing for bass sounds cool...

User Info Menu

I found some time to assemble my crazy pedalboard that also features the POG2. This morning I recorded a quick demo where I first created a baseline, stored it in the ditto looper, then comped over the baseline and then played over it. The playing here sucks as I was a bit rushed and not feeling well, but I guess you get the idea. For me that bass sound is decent enough. You can have hours of fun doing this.

(edit: replaced the video with a slightly less rushed one.)

Last edited by Frank67; 06-25-2017 at 11:26 AM. Reason: video sucked

User Info Menu

Thanks Blille , useful

I think I'll go with a pig or ehx tuning
    Fork ....
    If the algorithm on the Tfork is as good
    For octave down as the Log I'm sorted ....

Plus it would be fun to mess around
    with the other intervals
    But I primarily need the one octave
    down

User Info Menu

You are welcome pingu. It is worthwhile to listen to this through some halfway decent speakers. I noticed that it sounded pretty bad on an iPad or iPhone but with decent speakers it does sound like bass. The sound in the room is, to my ears, quite good. It makes my big Twin reverb amp shake when I dig into those lower bass notes. Big fun.

User Info Menu

Hey,

My view on pedals and sound are changing from time to time. In the past i used much delay (also stereo with two Amps), some octaver effects, little distortion, Chorus (Urghh...)- this was in the beginning of my jazz studies.

In the last years, i use only a few pedals which i really like.

My basic stuff is a Compressor Pedal (Boss C3)(soft setting) and an MXR 10 Band EQ and Spring Reverb from my Fender Deluxe. I also get away from using delay in my jazz playing.
    The reason is, that i really come to the point to enjoy my Archtop and the amp. I really want to hear the Pickup and the guitar. No effect should defamiliarize my sound of the guitar and the amp.

The Only things i like is compressor and Reverb. So i really think about to spend more money in a good compressor and a good reverb (i would like to test a Hall or Plate Reverb instead of the spring Reverb from the amp).

There are a Reverb Pedal everybody tell that it is the greatest Reverb pedal ever made - Strymon Blue Sky - Anybody tested ?

I never tried different Compressor Pedal. The only one i ever tested was the Boss C3. There are any recommendation for Compressor Pedals which maybe sound better?

Which kind of pedals do you love for playing jazz ?

User Info Menu

"Must have" pedals for people who hate pedals:
    - boost with a bit of overdrive on tap
    - EQ
    - compressor
    - reverb and/or delay

A lot of people hate compression, and I bought into that mentality for a while. When playing solo, compression kind of ruins everything. But when playing through dense accompaniment, it really helps to be heard without having to crank your volume. A sensitive rhythm section would be the more expensive solution.

User Info Menu

I recently went through a short period where I thought I would “modernize” my sound, taking my pedalboard to jazz gigs, mainly to use my delay pedal. Didn’t last very long. I do like to use it for rock, or fusiony gigs, which I get sometimes. I’m back to just plugging straight into my Deluxe Reverb with its reverb at about 2 1/2, which is really just for me since I hate an absolute bone-dry sound. I guess I’m just a traditionalist at heart. I love how Frisell uses effects however, but he very rarely plays straight ahead jazz. One of these days I’d like to do an album and some shows using my Tele and/or Strat with effects, doing a sort of Frisell type thing.

The Strymon pedals are amazing giving the ability to come up with an array of effects but I refrain from buying one since I only use a tiny bit of reverb in preference to a dry sound. I do have a TC Electronics Mini Hall of Fame (HOF—$100) which does provide a more high-quality reverb sound than Fender’s onboard reverb, but I still end up not taking it to gigs most of the time. I do think the Strymon would be overkill for you if you use reverb in the minimal way that I do. I highly recommend the TC Mini HOF if you aren’t happy with the reverb on your Fender.

User Info Menu

My aversion to pedals is mostly related to not wanting to have to plug more shit in on a gig and not wanting to shell out the money for them. I've been thinking about getting a cheap zoom multi-fx to mess around with at home but for the gigs I do I think I'll remain simplistic. I do however have a volume pedal that I need on certain gigs where I need to go from rhythm playing to soloing without missing a beat to fiddle with the volume knob. That's about it though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drbhrb
    My aversion to pedals is mostly related to not wanting to have to plug more shit in on a gig and not wanting to shell out the money for them. I've been thinking about getting a cheap zoom multi-fx to mess around with at home but for the gigs I do I think I'll remain simplistic. I do however have a volume pedal that I need on certain gigs where I need to go from rhythm playing to soloing without missing a beat to fiddle with the volume knob. That's about it though.
    Aaaahhh....another man after my own heart!! Absolutely hate compression and distortion. I will generally use amp reverb and only a reverb pedal with my MB200 that doesn't have it built in. There's been more millions of $$$ spent on gimmicks for making a certain sound but I would rather hear the sound of my guitar - that's the reason I started playing. As I said in another thread, If I can plug my guitar into an amp and it gets louder and I have a volume and tone control, I'm a happy camper. Whatever, I plug into, I sound like me and I don't care to sound like someone else. I guess some folks should be known as 'effects' players. And, in my (lengthy - I'm old!) experience, the audience is mostly made of non-musicians who couldn't care less what kind of fuzz box or other gimmicks you have on your pedal board. Of course, as always, YMMV.

User Info Menu

Lately I’ve enjoyed the sound of a clean boost, parametric EQ, very short delay with no feedback, and an emulated plate reverb set to a short response. None of these are physical pedals but are built into the Boss Katana.

User Info Menu

My rock/fusion pedalboard has OD, Comp, and a bunch of flavors of delay and modulation effects (Line 6 modellers).

For jazz, I don't feel like I NEED anything. If I had to do a gig with just a guitar and amp that would be fine. However, I really love the sound I get from the Earthquaker Avalanche Run. If I'm using a strange amp, I just turn the amp's reverb all the way off, plug in the AR, and set the dials to where I've marked them. Good to go and only takes a minute.

If I've got a little extra setup time to play with, I also like putting my Everything Zen (Zen Drive clone) in front of the amp with the gain set really low. Basically, I just want there to be a little grit when I dig in.

My only beef is that neither of these pedals can use batteries. It'd be a lot simpler if I didn't have to futz around with power cords.

User Info Menu

When I went to hear Strings Attached over the summer (Jack Wilkins, Vic Juris, Mark Whitfield and Joe Cohn), I think that two of them were straight into the amp and two used pedals. I preferred the tone with the pedals. Bigger, fatter, more appealing -- of course, to my ear.

I always play with a Boss ME80. I have four tones set up, one of which is clean. I generally comp with the clean tone, solo with a bunch of stuff added (clips in the Showcase section of this forum) and use distortion for specific arrangements which call for it. The last one is a chorusy sound which I used to like, but, gradually, I've lost my taste for it. I constantly ride the volume pedal. This is not just a volume issue -- it also allows variation in pick attack with full control over the resulting volume.

But, the main thing is to get a solo sound that has some power. I love hearing Jim Hall with just an archtop and an amp, but Carlos Santana wouldn't be himself with Jim's rig. And, I love Carlos' sound.

User Info Menu

I don't use pedals. If I get one, it will be a Looper.
    Used to play with them a lot---distortion, reverb, whatever---but don't have any of them anymore. Don't miss them, either.

User Info Menu

I use a reverb pedal at home, HOF mini, and I like the way it helps the sound. Neither the AI Clarus nor GK MB200 have reverb onboard, and a touch of room reverb, barely detectable if at all, helps the tone. I rarely bother to take it out, though, because in a bigger room there is usually enough natural reverb for me. I have a Boss GE7 EQ pedal, but I almost never use it. I also have an old Zoom 505 which has all sorts of effects, and I haven't connected it in a very long time. I'm not a fan of compression, delay, or any distortion. I bought a Joyo American Sound to see what the buzz was about, and it does help with the sound of my G&L tele, but I rarely play that, and the Joyo is just more trouble than it's worth most of the time. A touch of reverb at home, and outside usually nothing. My Little Jazz has built in reverb, but I mostly keep it on zero. I've never heard an amp reverb that I liked, not spring nor digital.