The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 202

User Info Menu

I don't want to play thinking dwells, mix's and db's. That's the reason I love Hermida Reverb (the one before Lovepedal) with one knob. Now I'm dreaming about Rockett pedals Boing reverb. Should be even better, dunno.

http://rockettpedals.com/product/boing-spring-reverb/

Eq pedal is mystery to me. If the guitar, its the pickup and amp are ok, where do I need an eq pedal? Haven't needed one for 40 performing years. (In other words: maybe I should have been having one...) Maybe gigging with rented backline would change my mind.
    Last edited by Herbie; 12-31-2015 at 04:12 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    I don't want to play thinking dwells, mix's and db's. That's the reason I love Hermida Reverb (the one before Lovepedal) with one knob. Now I'm dreaming about Rockett pedals Boing reverb. Should be even better, dunno.

BOING SPRING REVERB ? J. Rockett Audio Designs

Eq pedal is mystery to me. If the guitar, its the pickup and amp are ok, where do I need an eq pedal? Haven't needed one for 40 performing years. (In other words: maybe I should have been having one...) Maybe gigging with rented backline would change my mind.
    Tech 21 is not just Eq pedal. It has tube simulation on/off, balanced and unbalance output, gain and master, and more very useful features. I can use it to shape the sound on any amp, or go DI. I have great guitars, but I don't have great amps. So this pedal is very important to me.

Recently I had a gig where I used the stage amp, Fender Twin. I'm not a fan of Twins at all, but with Paradriver I managed to get the sound with decent mids and breakup, just how I like it.

User Info Menu

My girlfriend just got me a TC Electronics hall of fame reverb for christmas and this thing is great It has way too many options for what I need but they may come in handy at some point. It sure has been fun playing with it thus far!

User Info Menu

For eq pedals I love the Fromel Shape EQ and any digital parametric eq / low cut filter. My favorite reverb so far is the Subdecay Spring Theory (V1) but I could use almost any reverb pedal made these days.

Pasi - eq peals can have their uses in live situations even when you know the amp well. For example a like a large q boost on 400hz and sometimes a small q cut on 800 hz, no amp will allow you to do that - only a parametric eq. And I've found low cut filters way more useful with archtops than any amp's bass knob.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Tech 21 is not just Eq pedal. It has tube simulation on/off, balanced and unbalance output, gain and master, and more very useful features. I can use it to shape the sound on any amp, or go DI. I have great guitars, but I don't have great amps. So this pedal is very important to me.

Recently I had a gig where I used the stage amp, Fender Twin. I'm not a fan of Twins at all, but with Paradriver I managed to get the sound with decent mids and breakup, just how I like it.
    I can't oppose to that. There seems to be a need for that kind of pedal for people who perform with any backline but who wants to have their own sound. A bit like the pedal that Jim Campilongo (et al) has gotten excited:

The Distillery | toneconcepts inc

It is something like traveling musician's toolbag.

User Info Menu

the polara is indeed awesome

User Info Menu

Chase Bliss Audio Gravitas - best tremolo pedal I've tried. Can be set to very transparent or to clear up / thicken / boost / add presence to your sound without altering the guitars tone itself. It never sounds artificial, it's more like a tone enhancement. With a subtle, smooth harmonic tremolo added, it sounds wonderful and has become an always on pedal for me. The standard tremolo setting can't compete with a tube tremolo in a vintage tube amp though, but that's not to be expected.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    For eq pedals I love the Fromel Shape EQ and any digital parametric eq / low cut filter. My favorite reverb so far is the Subdecay Spring Theory (V1) but I could use almost any reverb pedal made these days.

Pasi - eq peals can have their uses in live situations even when you know the amp well. For example a like a large q boost on 400hz and sometimes a small q cut on 800 hz, no amp will allow you to do that - only a parametric eq. And I've found low cut filters way more useful with archtops than any amp's bass knob.
    I second the recommendation for a parametric eq. You can shape your tone in a very precise and subtle way. You won't do violence to your tone as easily as with a graphic eq.

On my non-jazz pedal board I use a parametric eq for shaping the tone of my guitar and a graphic eq in the loop for sculpting the distortion of the amp.

I can recommend the Artec parametric eq. It is ridiculously cheap and apart from its finicky knobs, it does its job pretty well:

http://artecsound.com/effect/se-peq.htm

User Info Menu

I and I imagine, others, have trouble getting the concept of a parametric EQ straight. I wish somewhere there was a "Parametric EQ for Dummies" discussion I could read. I have never been able to figure all that out, and think I might profit from learning to use this tone shaping tool.

User Info Menu

It's not that hard. You choose a center frequency (in hz or khz),how large will be your range (q) and how much will you cut or boost (in dbs). I think the hardest part is understanding which frequencies are more relevant for electric guitar... for me it goes like this: 50hz-200hz (bass), 200hz-500hz (low mids) 500hz-1k (high mids) and treble is around 5k.

You can also think of a parametric as a graphic were you can choose the frequencie and if you want a large frequencie area or a small one (q).

This is a good source

http://assets.empresseffects.com/manuals/paraeq.pdf

User Info Menu

Actually, scratch the Earthquaker Dispatch Master- this thing is sucking tone, I found out. Yesterday at the soundcheck, I was in a rush to setup, and decided to skip on it. The amp sounded surprisingly great. Then I got more time than I thought I would, and I decided to put the pedal in the chain, and suddenly the amp didn't sound that good. How I never noticed it before I don't know, but I guess I gotta look for another reverb pedal now. Like 10th time already!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    Now I'm dreaming about Rockett pedals Boing reverb.

the boing sounds fantastic in videos, but i want a little more for that kind of money. love the simplicity, though. but i wish it had at least a plate sound and wished it went a little more ambient.

as for the eq, i didn't know, either. not until the second it landed did i understand it. but now it is never leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylanfan424
    My girlfriend just got me a TC Electronics hall of fame reverb for christmas and this thing is great It has way too many options for what I need but they may come in handy at some point. It sure has been fun playing with it thus far!
    wait until you start playing with the toneprints! your girlfriend sounds pretty cool, post some pics of her sister

the (discontinued?) fromel and the vfe offerings were the "secret weapon", more mids focused eq pedals i heard about- everyone that has one swears be them. they are more guitar centric somehow, given the mid shaping abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I and I imagine, others, have trouble getting the concept of a parametric EQ straight. I wish somewhere there was a "Parametric EQ for Dummies" discussion I could read. I have never been able to figure all that out, and think I might profit from learning to use this tone shaping tool.
    the tone job is more or less the "parametric eq for dummies" pedal. same low, mid, high and volume knobs that are on your amp. its the least intimidating one i've seen out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Actually, scratch the Earthquaker Dispatch Master- this thing is sucking tone, I found out.
    send them an email, they are surprisingly responsive and helpful. my dispatch master was fussy so they asked me to send it back and they replaced the guts, free of charge. then it turns out it was (largely) my fault it was acting up- it has a low headroom and i was just hitting it too hard. i still love mine, but i use it differently now- in an fx loop.

if you decide you want something else, the new keeley caverns is in a similar delay/verb boat as the dm, but with more knobs and switches.

my new (used) hardwire rv7 just arrived, i give that a test run in a bit. hard to go wrong at the prices they go for these days, and it'll go on my grab and go/practice board anyway.

User Info Menu

I do not deny this. I am starting to realise that there is (at least) two kinds of guitarists: those with an eq and those who read constantly "used speakers for sale" ads.

Nowadays I have a foam damper to put under my amp with me when I assume the stage of the concert is going to cause boomines. The eq people don't have to think these foam dampers!

But I don't have to think about the batteries!

User Info Menu

Well the good thing is a low cut filter can be a passive pedal Just check the schematich on the Polyclone thread, any tech can build one for a really cheap price!

Haha, I can really recognize myself as a guitarist with no EQ-pedal that's always looking at used speaker ads! I have to admit that I have a hard time really believing that an EQ can remedy a bad sounding speaker, but what do I know? I might have to check one out someday.

As for reverb, I really like the Van Amps Sole Mate. Analogue spring reverb, quite a big box, and sounds wonderful. It has gone to the point where I no longer care for any other reverb anymore. I even turn down the verb on my beloved Fender amps in favor of the Sole Mate nowadays, and that says alot. Of course, it's a litle dirty sounding and colors the tone somewhat, but that's really the charm with analogue devices. I'm one of those people that obsesses with having only analogue gear, anything digital just doesn't feel "real" to me. Too spotless, and no life. I know my attitude is old fashioned and outdated, and people wonder why I still bother with noisy pedals that doesn't work half of the time since they're so old and beat up, heavy amps and a couple of miles of cable to connect everything. But I just can't have it any other way, it's what makes me connect with the music when playing.
    Anyway, give the Sole Mate a chance if you're like me a want your spring reverb to come from an actual spring and not just some digital algorithm. It really makes your tone come alive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    earthquaker devices tone job (eq) Products > Boost & EQ > Tone Job

digitech polara (reverb) Polara | DigiTech Guitar Effects

buy them and stop sounding dumb. you owe it to yourself and your country.
    I have Digitech Obscura on order - but from what I read about Polara it may be my next choice.
    It is repackaged and upgraded Hardwire RV7 reverb. But the Lexicon algorithms ir has - especially Spring
    and Halo sound very good. I had Flint for a while and in the end I sold it - tremolo was good but reverb was
    uninspiring.

User Info Menu

i now have both the rv7 and the polara. fairly similar for the most part. some of the laser settings are new on the polara, and its smaller, but the basic algorithms are the same. if you don't mind the larger box, you can find the rv7 fairly cheaply.

been considering the obscura as an all around delay- it also is a basic redesign of the hardwire delay, except that there are two new knobs/functions. i think the tap and stereo features work a little differently now, as well. but its of the workhorse variety with some tricks up its sleeve. i might like it a little more than my alter ego ii as it seems to be much more meat and potatoes, though you can still get nutty with it. maybe i'll replace the memory boy with it, just to have more flavors on hand.

i have and love the flint, but i much preferred it in front of the amp instead of the loop, but it isn't my main reverb on my main board- the dr scientist reverberator is.

User Info Menu

I've tried so many reverbs. The original Hermida reverb is indeed one of the best, and one of the simplest. Used most of the others mentioned here, also owned a series of outboard reverbs. The three best pedals apart from the Hermida, at least to my taste:

-- Catalinbread Topanga: Such a good substitute for the actual outboard reverb unit, I ended up selling my last one. You can add gain and volume via controls. It's really perfect for lovers of that spring sound.

-- Red Panda Context: No spring on this, but some very beautiful hall and room sounds. Lush and noisefree.

-- Mad Professor Silver Spring: Despite the name, it does not strike me as spring-like. What it does do is act like a hall reverb and delay combined. Seeing as I love the combination of a good reverb and subtle, repeats de-emphasized delay, this pedal became an instant keeper.

The Topanga and Silver Spring sound so good to me, I almost never use in amp reverb anymore.

MD

User Info Menu

Just as a thought, I would suggest considering a multi-effects unit, such as those made by Zoom, Digitech, Boss, Line 6 etc. I have a Zoom G3 (the older version, not the new G3n) and it has a wealth of delays, reverbs, chorus types, phasers, flangers, and plenty of other stuff (drives, amp models, more unusual effects). I can chain up to 6 effects on it, and that's very handy if you want to have a couple of delays with different settings going, for example.

I don't use everything on it by any means, but the flexibility and ability to try any type of effect or combination is great to have, especially when you're exploring sounds and not quite sure what you'll end up liking. I'd say the sound quality is really very good, although some may argue that analogue boutique stuff sounds better. But for the cost of a couple of average-price individual pedals, it really bears serious consideration in my opinion.

I still use the G3 for gigging (admittedly it now sits as a central part of a larger pedal board setup) - often it provides a bit of chorus/delay/reverb, which can be nice on modern latin numbers for example, and no one ever tells me individual pedals would sound better.

User Info Menu

There are two basic groups of effects used in jazz these days:

1) delay and reverb for your base sound, and usually a tuner and an eq to help you adjust to different amps and rooms. And an overdrive that it's not always on.

2) more crazy stuff like synth sounds, octavers (pog or hog or oc-3), freeze pedal, loopers, etc...

For the first I would go with a multi-fx unit, I like Zoom stuff personally - the new G3n seems great.

User Info Menu

My board: Mission Engineering volume pedal >> tuner out to mini Turbo Tuner >> signal to Free the Tone "MS" Overdrive (for "bluesy" tunes and/or boost!) >> Catalinbread "Belle Epoch" echo >> Catalinbread "Topanga" reverb (one of my amps does not have reverb, the others do) >> to amp; powered (underneath) by Cioks; the board by Temple Audio.

A couple of my students have "multi-fx" units, and although more economical, there hasn't been one that I liked all the effects, therefore I'd still need to buy other pedals to complement it.

Pedals for the Jazz Guitarist?-board-jpg

User Info Menu

Despite my handle, I do use one: Jamman looper. Best practice tool ever.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nopedals
    Despite my handle, I do use one: Jamman looper. Best practice tool ever.
    Even if it never leaves the house, everyone should have a looper. It makes practice time a lot more productive.

User Info Menu

I guess reverb is a must have, the rest is expendable in most jazz contexts. A tuner can be clip on, otherwise it is good on a board. A looper, like the tiny little TC electronics ditto is really nice for practice - or - if you put it first in the chain it is a nice tool to check on your sound, try settings on pedals or the amp, move away a few feet to check how it sounds in the room etc.

Many people like delay and in a subtle way it can also replace reverb. I like it too but would use it not in a rock way (long delay, many repeats prominent in the mix) but a short delay, few repeats low in the mix (also not the rockabilly slapback - 150 sec, 1 repeat, prominent in the mix type sound). I am partial to the Tape echo or analog delay sound which is pretty dark on the repeats. Many pedals do that well.

A mild chorus can sound nice and make the tone fatter (but not this terrible 70s drenched in chorus sound, baeeehhh). I like the Boss or mad professor chorus pedals for example

A compressor is debated - some hate it some love it. If one uses it in a subtle way. I like it. There is a recent thread here that compares many compressors. I like optical ones.

Overdrive as Jorge said. A recent thread has compared some overdrives to just add a tad of hair to the tone. That was fun and the cheap TC electronics MojoMojo came out very well of memory serves correctly. I personally like the sound of a Rat - but not for jazz, others love it ... all good.

The crazy stuff I am also not into. Pitch shifter to get a bass sound may be cool. Some like synth sounds or really "broken" sounds ... just not me.

Have fun! Once you open Pandora's pedal box there is no turning back :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    A couple of my students have "multi-fx" units, and although more economical, there hasn't been one that I liked all the effects, therefore I'd still need to buy other pedals to complement it.
    That's what happens most of the time. They are great for getting your feet wet but most people end up buying stomp boxes for specific flavors.