The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

1. electric hollowbody w/ amp
    2. electric solidbody w/ amp
    3. acoustic w/ steel strings
    4. acustic w/ nylon strings

Which one? I want to pick up some extra gigs doing this. Maybe for wedding, parties, restaurant background music, etc. I'm learning some chord melody stuff and love it. Currently I have teles (one with a humbucker in the neck) and a sf Fender deluxe reverb. Also have some acoustics. Just wondering what folks who already perform these type of gigs use. THANKS!
    Last edited by squeally dan; 08-03-2009 at 02:32 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My number one pick is a classical guitar mic'd.

2nd pick is an acoustic steel string guitar mic'd (2nd not because of tone, but because I find them a bit harder to play when I'm fingerpicking).

Those are my favorite clean guitar tones, there is so much character to those tones. I run them through two small powered PA speakers with a little reverb (12" woofer and a tweeter).
    Last edited by fep; 08-03-2009 at 02:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Mr Beaumont does his gigs on a tele I believe. Don't let him hear anybody dis'n a tele

I use an archtop and a classical w/cutaway and p/up. I've divided the tunes I know into two groups. Pick (including hybrid) and fingerstyle and that's how I choose.

It breaksdown into most Jobim and latin tunes are fingerpicked (except Triste) so they all get the classical treatment.

However I also do some ballads like Naima and Prelude to a Kiss on Classical. (As well as a bunch of other tunes that I think sit well on a classical like Con Alma, Lucky Southern, Nardis, How My Heart Sings, Lullaby of Byrdland....)

User Info Menu

I use my Roland Cube 80x
    and my Gibson ES-335
    and sometimes even my Epiphone Les Paul

User Info Menu

I answered this question on TGP, but I use a semihollow (Forshage Ergo) and hollowbody (ES175) thru a JazzKat for solo work.
    Last edited by derek; 08-04-2009 at 11:12 AM.

User Info Menu

Typically all my straight ahead stuff is on a '56 Gibson ES 225 with a Roland Cube. The amp I need to upgrade, probably sometime this fall. I like Solid State amps with the 225 more the Tube and prefer tube on my 335 then solid.

I use my classical guitar miked into a small PA.I also use my PRS Hollowbody 2 with a Vox AC-30 (the Marshall remake) or a Boogie Mark-4. I prefer the Vox for anything clean, it's got some kind of magic.

User Info Menu

I do fingerstyle chord-melody with a custom Ibanez AF 100 through the amazing 9 pound wonder ZT " lunchbox " amp. This puppy pumps out an incredible 200 PkWatts which I found can play over the 16 piece swing band I sometimes jam with in town. The Ibanez is a tone monster for the CM style jazz numbers....

User Info Menu

P.S. on the above....my regular weekend gigs are at a local restaurant playing solo.......and need NOwhere near 200 watts, of course.

User Info Menu

Hofner Very Thin Classic(flatwound) my Hofner handles all my needs for jazz ,Bossa finger style ECT... Amp Polytone Mini Brute IV .Semihollow body /with amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW400
    Mr Beaumont does his gigs on a tele I believe. Don't let him hear anybody dis'n a tele

)
    ha ha! thanks john i was out of town, and i didn't see this until today...

being among the most vocal of the solidbody camp here, i definitely use a tele, with a polytone...but i dunno, i just pickedup a zt lunchbox...might try a gig with that next week...we'll see, i'm still fiddling, but so far i'm very impressed.

my last choice for a solo jazz gig would be a steel string acoustic like a drednaught. all bass and highs, no warm mellow mids, and too much squeak on those strings, (IMHO, that squeak is unavoidable as a flattop acoustic just doesn't sound good with flatwounds...)

so do i think you should use a tele? no, not unless you have one you love. you just have to have a guitar that allows you to get the tone you like and that you enjoy playing...it could be a tele, a les paul, a ibanez artcore, a big ol hollowbody gibson, a jackson with sharp points, flaming skull graphics and all black hardware, whatever (although you might get some looks at the pasta house with that last one)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    my last choice for a solo jazz gig would be a steel string acoustic like a drednaught. all bass and highs, no warm mellow mids, and too much squeak on those strings, (IMHO, that squeak is unavoidable as a flattop acoustic just doesn't sound good with flatwounds...)
    In defense of that beautiful wood sound without much midrange and some squeak I present my first witness:

And now I rest my case.
    Last edited by fep; 08-03-2009 at 07:42 PM.

User Info Menu

yeah fep, that was great playing. but there's tones i like a lot better...after all, i said it would be MY last choice...just an opinion.

If I use one of my teles should I put on some flatwounds and maybe go up a gauge?

Also, I love playing this stuff on my Taylor steel string, but I do get a ton of string noise.

If I use one of my teles should I put on some flatwounds and maybe go up a gauge?

Also, I love playing this stuff on my Taylor steel string, but I do get a ton of string noise.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squeally dan
    If you like the sound of it on a steel string, but can't handle the string noise, put on a set of Elixir Nanowen, either 80/20 or PB. Some people hate them, but I love them, no finger noise, and a nice slick feel when changing positions (which I really like).

User Info Menu

The only gigs I ever did were solos and I used many different guitars. I was known as Jeff Himan and his Vintage Guitars. I used a 43 Emperor, several Strats, a Tele, a 39 L5P, 36 Epi Deluxe, Vestax D'Angelicos, a Rickenbacker John Kay, a Les Paul Custom, and ES 335, an ES 150, a Gretsch Synchromatic 100, an ES 335, an ES 175CC and a D'Angelico Excel. I used a Fender Vibrolux Reverb. I didn't own all these instruments at the same time. I used to be a guitar collector and bought and sold al the time. Never really made much at it but it sure was a lot of fun being able to play some great vintage instruments.

User Info Menu

Not done any true solo gigs as such, but done solo sections in a duo gig with tenor sax. Used my Vestax-era D'Angelico NYL-5 for most songs and a Yamaha Silent Guitar with nylon strings for the Latin stuff. Played with fingers and barely used a pick. New Yorker into a little Washburn amp (Mad Dog, designed for metal, gives a beautiful sound with and archtop) and the Yamaha straight into the PA.

I'm going to hopefully get to try out some hollow bodies today. Until I get one, I'm going to try some flatwounds on my tele. Any particular brand I should try first? I have 10's on my tele, can I go up to 112's without having to adjust anything else?

User Info Menu

You might want to try out Thomastik-Infield: Thomastik-Infeld Electric Guitar Strings

Their Swing Flat Wounds come in 0.010, 0.011, 0.012 and 0.013's and their George Benson's (my favourite TI's) come in 0.012 and 0.014. I go for the 14's only because they don't make a 15 ;-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squeally dan
    I'm going to hopefully get to try out some hollow bodies today. Until I get one, I'm going to try some flatwounds on my tele. Any particular brand I should try first? I have 10's on my tele, can I go up to 112's without having to adjust anything else?
    what kind of tele? one of the fatter necked vintage styled ones, probably nothing more than a little intonation adjust. on a more modern, thinner necked tele, it might move a little and require a truss rod adjustment. no big deal, give the strings a day to settle in and the neck to move, and remember a 1/4 turn is a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    what kind of tele? one of the fatter necked vintage styled ones, probably nothing more than a little intonation adjust. on a more modern, thinner necked tele, it might move a little and require a truss rod adjustment. no big deal, give the strings a day to settle in and the neck to move, and remember a 1/4 turn is a lot.
    Its a 78 tele. I put a humbucker in the neck seveal years ago. I'm thinking of putting the original 3 saddle bridge back on. A tech talked me in to putting a six saddle bridge on.