The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 69 of 69

User Info Menu

I know this is a very subjective thing, but is a 2006 ES 175 considered to be a good 175? The later '59 reissue seems to get better reviews, although I know there are lemons and gems among all guitars. I've never played a 175, but I'm interested. Asking price is around 2500 euro, which seems reasonable to me.
    The guitars that comes closest to a 175 is my Ibanez LGB30, which I really like. Pickups could be better I guess (but I could upgrade these).

Any advice is appreciated!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

No good or bad years. Every year has winners and turds. Some of the best Gibson's I owned were from the Norlin years that was known as there worst years. Grade individually not by year. LOL

User Info Menu

Thanks, I'll do that. If it's in good condition, 2500 is a fair price, right? Or maybe still a bit steep?

User Info Menu

Not a great price, but not asking "too much" either.

User Info Menu

A friend owns a 2006 175 (one of the limited run P-90 models) and it is a great guitar though we both do not love the sunburst finish (there is some kind of green in the sides, what were they thinking?). I owned a 2008 175 that I bought brand new from a Gibson dealer in 2009 that was a dog (there was a twist in the neck that made it impossible to get the action as low as I liked).

So, be careful. 2500 Euros sounds like an average price in the European market. If it is not defective, it should be a fine guitar. It will be a heavier build than the 59 reissue and will have a decidedly "electric" tone.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! I've read a couple of stories about a twist in the neck. How can I check if this guitar has this twist?

User Info Menu

In 2006 Gibson came out with a limited run single pu 175. I bought one and as Marco said it had a greenish sunburst. Mine had a tail rise and required high action. I sold it. I friend bought a blonde 2006 P90 175 and it was great. Like I always say Gibson is a dice roll but when they get it right nothing can beat it.

User Info Menu

I think mid 2000s Gibson are way better then todays modern Gibsons.
    Early - mid 2000s Gibson LP Studios were beasts of guitars, way better then todays LPs.
    I guess ES range should be same story.

User Info Menu

i love the tone on my 1981 ES175

i also have a 1991 chet atkins

same pickups.

two totally different guitars

go to Craig Morrison

can you tell me which guitar is on which song? really?

i use several other instruments also

Thank God I have them

I almost traded the two Gibsons for a Gibson L-5 but the guy disappeared when he thought he was getting rid of his 2004 L-5!

HA

User Info Menu

my 1981 ES175 says factory "second" on the back of the headstock it looks feels and sounds perfect.

the guy i got it from said they stamped then second so they could sell them out the back door at the factory.

who knows!

Site not found

User Info Menu

i'm going to get yelled at here but to me, the pinnacle of 175s was early '60s. I had a '57 once and didn't care for it as much as the '61 I had. When you get to about 67, the quality starts to go down a little. They are still great but you start to notice things aren't put together as well and i can hear the difference. There's another quality shift around 1970 when the switched to 3pc necks and then again when they switched to maple. In 81 or 82 they switched back to mahogany necks but started making mahogany back and sides instruments. They sounded great but the early 80s pickups (though legendary) sounded muddy to me. My favorite of the '80s was the 89, mahogany neck and back and sides. Unfortunately, that period they also gained about 1lb in weight and it's not uncommon for them to be 8lbs. They also started having some quality issues and after stupidly selling my '89, I ran into several from the '80s where the bracing had come unglued from the top. This seems to particularly be an issue during the mid to late '80s. The quality improved again for a few years but then gradually got worse and I recently played a 2016 175 that I thought sounded nothing like the original 175s I know and love. I currently play one that is from 70-73. Hard to tell based on the lack of serial number documentation. Here are a couple clips.

I honestly could not get this "thunk" sound out of the newer 175s...

User Info Menu

It's hard to find an ES 175 with a normal neck in the early 60's models. In those years electric guitar was being born, various experiments in design took place to adopt guitars to the electric style. Neck experiments were exercise in overthinking.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    It's hard to find an ES 175 with a normal neck in the early 60's models. In those years electric guitar was being born, various experiments in design took place to adopt guitars to the electric style. Neck experiments were exercise in overthinking.
    I think the electric guitar was born in the '40s. The necks of the '60s models I've played have been pretty consistent, model to model. The 50s ones varied a lot more I think.

User Info Menu

I think both narrow nut widths and pencil necks (different things) in Gibson line-ups emerged in the 60's

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I think both narrow nut widths and pencil necks (different things) in Gibson line-ups emerged in the 60's
    ah yes, gibson was trying to compete with fender 1 5/8 nut widths for a while. bad decision, lol.

But those are pretty predictable in terms of model and year. Basically anything from late '65 to mid '69 will have the 1 9/16 nut widths and a thinner taper. My '72Ish 175 has the slim taper but the wide nut width.

User Info Menu

i love the sound of mine

Craig Morrison

User Info Menu

I like the weight, sound, and feel of the ones from 1956-1960. I can barely keep myself from buying another one. I like my 1964 really well, but it has had a neck replacement and is now 25 1/2 " scale with the pickup moved to the end of the fretboard.

Gibson ES-175 Models and Years-fullsizeoutput_1133-jpg

User Info Menu

great photo

Craig Morrison to see mine.

i like a little variety

I'm down to 11 guitars from 27

many in between!

User Info Menu

I'll take the one with a P-90!