The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 135

User Info Menu

My favorite is the Don Mare 53 with the brass cover. A very warm pickup. The 54 is great too for a slightly brighter sound.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    The T-9 arrived today, and I just dropped it in. Holy shnikeys! What a difference. Some of the twang (but not all) is gone, and there's a definite boost in output. Overall the tone is fuller, rounder and a tad less bright. It sounds amazing. Great jazz tone! I would definitely recommend these.
    Are those noise canceling?

User Info Menu

My fave Tele neck pup is a Seymour Duncan Vintage Minibucker. Clear but powerful. No mud. Since the Op is getting a custom guitar, this would be my choice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnyboy
    Are those noise canceling?
    No. I'm not aware of any P-90 style pup that's noise cancelling. (Doesn't mean they don't exist, I just don't know about them). That said, the noise doesn't seem to be any worse than a stock Tele pickup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    My fave Tele neck pup is a Seymour Duncan Vintage Minibucker. Clear but powerful. No mud. Since the Op is getting a custom guitar, this would be my choice.
    My custom build Tele plans are on hold due to lack of space, but thanks for your suggestion and thanks to everyone else that responded. Hope to get to it in the fall. Would like to sell a Dano 12-string that I made better with pick ups and wiring enhancements first.

User Info Menu

Hello. I am in the thought process of ordering parts from Warmoth for a tele build. The question of pick ups comes into focus. The guitar will be for jazz play exclusively. At Warmoth there are a couple of alternatives:

Lindy Fralin makes both the Tele stock hybrid stagger as well as the Tele blues hybrid stagger.

Seymor Duncan makes many Tele PU´s. I have been looking at Vintage Stack which has a noise cancelling function. The noise cancelling idea makes sense to me!

Di Marzio makes a noise cancelling PU for Tele, the Area-T, which is also an alternative.

So my question is, Does anyone have any comparative experience with any of these PU´s? Is there another PU I should consider for jazz tone?

As there are so many makers, the thought arises in me that there cant be that many ways of making a PU and retaining the tone spectra of a tele for jazz. Is it more Mojo that factual PU difference?

Expressions of experience are appreciated in my search at making a decision on the PU question.

Thanks in advance 0zoro

User Info Menu

I don't understand, what is a jazz pick up?

I just use the stock Fender noiseless pickups on my tele, fatter than a vintage tele pickup, but not a humbucker. TBH I think I prefer single coils to humbuckers ATM.

Humbuckers lack a bit of sparkle sometimes, but a nice clear voiced one can be good.

IMO I tend to approach things from the mindset that if I am not happy with my sound, it's usually to do with the way I am striking the strings.
    Last edited by christianm77; 08-12-2016 at 08:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Listen to Tim Lerch on the other active Tele thread--Plain G. Tim uses Lollar Charlie Christian pickups. He gets a great sound from his new Tele.

User Info Menu

Tim Lerch gets great sounds from anything

For jazz-only on my build (posted in the for sale section) I just went with the most jazzy pu I could think off, ie a Gibson classic 57 PAF

Best Telecaster Neck Pickup?-image-jpegBest Telecaster Neck Pickup?-image-jpeg
    Last edited by fws6; 08-12-2016 at 09:24 AM.

User Info Menu

I can't say enough good things about the Porter 9-T. It's P-90-esque, but not a full-on P-90 sound. It's not too far off the stock Tele neck pickup sound, but it's bigger and beefier. Love, love, LOVE it!

User Info Menu

I've got a Tele with the Area T pickups. That Tele is the quietest guitar I own, virtually zero hum under any circumstances I have found thus far. Fine tone for jazz. And I have a Tele with a Vintage Vibe Guitar CC humbucker sized pickup- fair amount of buzz but a fat, clear tone.

User Info Menu

I like the G&L MFD classic tele pickups. They sound thicker than a tele pickup and are way quieter. They remind me a little of the sound of a Joe Barden, but I only like the neck pickup as I prefer the traditional tele bridge pickups. I've found a few of the G&Ls for less than 40.00 on reverb and ebay.

Pickup - ASAT Classic MFD Neck - G&L Online Store

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I've got a Tele with the Area T pickups. That Tele is the quietest guitar I own, virtually zero hum under any circumstances I have found thus far. Fine tone for jazz. And I have a Tele with a Vintage Vibe Guitar CC humbucker sized pickup- fair amount of buzz but a fat, clear tone.
    Thanks Cunamara. In fact I am acquainted with the Area T myself. I like them a lot. It is in fact the only pick up I have played on a Tele. All my practice room work is done at low volume at home (family & neighbours) so I definately do not want any additional pu noise clouding my ears. I suppose I am leaning towards the Area T´s but am open for other pick ups with similar qualities at a good price. 0zoro

User Info Menu

A buddy of mine back in SoCal worked at Larrivee's Oxnard plant, and one time brought home a Tele with a Fralin in the bridge-spot and a Duncan minihumbucker in the neck. In the middle position with the tone wide open and the guitar's volume at about six, through a sweaty (3 or four on the channel's volume, six or seven on the MV) 6L6-tubed Peavey, was a smokin' guitar. Roll the guitar's volume back, sweet jazz tones from that Duncan -- put it in middle position and open the amp's volume -- it sang.

User Info Menu

abelljo makes a great point. For single coil, those G&L MFD p/us really have something great going on.

Any good p/u works for jazz IMO. I love P90 sounds in jazz, so my favorite tele p/us for that purpose are P90s. My partcaster has a spanish cedar body and hardware by Marc Rutter, with two P90s from Ian Anderson. Very cool sounds for the way I hear things.
    MD

User Info Menu

They don't get much love, but I've used several EMG Select pickups on instruments I've built, and they sound great to me. I recently replaced the Armstrong on my Eastman with one, and it sounds better to me. Stewmac is having a closeout sale on them, ~$30, so it's not a bank-breaker to try one out. They're rails, no adjustable polepieces, and that's what got me started with them. They work great with oddly-strung instruments like 5-string mando-things, but just as well with standard guitars.

User Info Menu

There are probably more pickups available that one would find satisfactory versus unsatisfactory. I am building a Tele right now with one these in the neck position.

User Info Menu

When I swapped the stock single coil on my Fender Telebration-Tele to a Vintage Vibe Charlie Christian, it was the biggest improvement from swapping pickups I had ever experienced. Maybe the stock pickup was underwhelming. But I'd always recommend a Charlie Christian for a Jazz Tele.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mad dog
    abelljo makes a great point. For single coil, those G&L MFD p/us really have something great going on.

Any good p/u works for jazz IMO. I love P90 sounds in jazz, so my favorite tele p/us for that purpose are P90s.

makes perfect sense, you guys like the mfd...the mfd's are constructed in similar fashion to a p-90..rather than use alnico magnet polepieces like fender tele and strat pups...they use adjustable slug/ hex screws with a bar magnet on the bottom of the bobbin...the mfd's actually use a ceramic bar..for increased gauss that makes up for smaller sized bobbin and less winds (than p-90)

nice pups...

i like the jumbo mfd's too...highly underrated pups

Best Telecaster Neck Pickup?-img_9283_1024x1024-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

I have the 2 Fralins mentioned. They're great pups, but more in the country/blues/rock camp. For jazz with a trad size neck pup, I'd recommend an adjustable steel pole style. I've used a McNelly T-bar with great success before, but I'm sure the Porters or the Fralin steel poles are just as good.

However, if you want a "wider" sound, I'd go with a p90 in the neck. And use 50's wiring for more tonal control!

User Info Menu

yeah the strong ceramic magnet gives it gusto!! haha..gotta keep the polepieces low..and use pure nickel strings if you want a warmer tone

p-90's also have upper midrange bite

cheers

User Info Menu

I'd take the Area T over the Fender Noiseless. I have both.

User Info Menu

The Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 neck pickup is great. Not noisy at all in my experience.

User Info Menu

I have Bill Lawrence Microcoils in my Telecaster. They're the nicest sounding Telecaster set I've heard. Clear and open sounding, but smooth at the same time. Adjustable poles are handy too for that wound G.

User Info Menu

I still find the regular single-coil Fender-style neck pickup to be a winner for jazz sounds. The ticket is to use .11 or (better) .12 gauge strings. Skinny strings get that funky/rock/country sound on a Telecaster.

James Burton is THE MAN who popularized skinny strings in the first place. It revolutionized the sound of the Telecaster. All those songs he cut in the studios with The Wrecking Crew altered the way we heard pop music.

Jazz has (typically) a different vibe.