The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Gibson ES-275 All that and a "bag of chips" ??

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • I bought one, and it’s a keeper for sure.

31 26.50%
  • If I had the $$$ I would buy one yesterday.

53 45.30%
  • Save your money, and buy something else.

22 18.80%
  • I bought one, and I couldn’t wait to sell it.

1 0.85%
  • The guitar is just a silly design and will pass into Gibson folklore.

12 10.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 185

User Info Menu

This particular guitar is a solid investment for anybody of modest means. Quite a bit of buzz about the guitar. Of course the obvious "out of the box" design and thinking from Gibson. Of course it appears to be driven by the Japanese market and demand.

It seems at this date that people have bought the guitar and a few have sold it since buying it. For me the reference to the Les Paul neck is one aspect that does not appeal to me. But that being said, it's certainly has it's appeal for many reasons.
    Last edited by Wildcat; 11-21-2016 at 01:41 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If I had the dough, I would most definitely get one. But I don't, at present, so that's that. I shall have to console myself with my other guitars, and wait for some possible future opportunity to scratch that particular itch.

User Info Menu

The problem with such polls is that the answer options are not mutally exhaustive and there may be many other answers which could be relevant as well. For me it would be: "Looks nice, but I have the guitars I need, so I'll stick to them."

User Info Menu

I don't want to be seen with one because I don't want its association with small hands...

But I would love to have one in private, yes.

User Info Menu

Well here's the deal. Found a new Burst model with one of the big on-line places. Knocked $730 off the listed price. And 48 months 0%.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    Well here's the deal. Found a new Burst model with one of the big on-line places. Knocked $730 off the listed price. And 48 months 0%.
    Sweetwater? C'mon, you can get that discounted price all day long from my favourite Gibson dealer. I am not so sure about the 48-month 0% financing though. Are you really going to spread it out over 4 years? It may be long gone before then and you will still be paying.

A member sold a mint 6-month old one recently for $2850. If you need 48-month 0% financing and $730 off $4099, OK. $3369 is not all that special. That is the actual street price. Don't pay MAP.

$85.40 x 48 = $4099.20. You are paying 22% more for it.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 11-21-2016 at 03:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Heh, heh, I'll plump for the Faded Cherry instead and save more money.

Gibson Memphis ES-275 - Faded Cherry | Sweetwater.com

I don't mind the plain trapeze tailpiece, the knobs can be swapped out, prefer nickel-plate to cheap gold-plate and the piéce de résistance, a real deal rosewood fretboard instead of Richlite. I don't like Richlite. Don't know why. I guess it is because I can't soak it with Fret Doctor.

And the split block ES-175 inlays look a whole lot more jazzy! It's in my future. The Richlite was putting me off.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 11-21-2016 at 03:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Yes. If you need 48-month 0% financing and $730 off $4099, OK

I just don't have that kind of cash/Jing floating around for a purchase like this and to make a slam dunk deal with strait up cash.

$4099 - $730 = $3369. $3369/48 = $70.19 a month.

QAman just sold his beauty dropping the price from $3300 to $2950. I talked to him on more than one occasion when he was first buying it from the Music Zoo. Garrett also gave me the same discount but I couldn't swing it back then. When Steve went to sell his, I talked with him again. Just didn't have the kind of cash on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Sweetwater? C'mon, you can get that discounted price all day long from my favourite Gibson dealer. I am not so sure about the 48-month 0% financing though. Are you really going to spread it out over 4 years? It may be long gone before then and you will still be paying.

A member sold a mint 6-month old one recently for $2850. If you need 48-month 0% financing and $730 off $4099, OK. $3369 is not all that special. That is the actual street price. Don't pay MAP.

$85.40 x 48 = $4099.20. You are paying 22% more for it.

User Info Menu

Wildcat, it may be cheaper at this point in time to buy it from a Gibson dealer in Japan.

Used Gibson Memphis ES-275 Figured Montreux Burst(中古)【楽器検索デジマート】 . Taking away 8% sales tax, that's JPY294444.44 or about $2646.00 plus forex markup of ~3.5%. Shipping by JapanPost EMS is about JPY15000.

The 2016 ES-275 Faded Cherry new has a price of $3146.00.

The trouble is they can only sell it to you as a used guitar so there is no warranty on it.

User Info Menu

OK, man, I see your predicament now. If it is $3699 spread out over 48 months with 0% financing, it is a good deal.

I just checked the price on a new ES-275 Montreux Burst in Japan. Works out to JPY 370000 or $3326.20. You really should not be paying a lot more than this.

So, yeah, $3699 with free shipping and 0% financing and Gibson Memphis warranty is a fair deal.

User Info Menu

OK, man, I see your predicament now. If it is $3699 spread out over 48 months with 0% financing, it is a good deal.

I just checked the price on a new ES-275 Montreux Burst in Japan. Works out to JPY 370000 or $3326.20. You really should not be paying a lot more than this.

So, yeah, $3699 with free shipping and 0% financing and Gibson Memphis warranty is a fair deal.
    Thanks for the heads up. $3369, not $3699. I really think this is a special guitar for a first class hack like me.

User Info Menu

It's a great looking and intriguing guitar, but I'm not sure about the 'modest means' bit.

User Info Menu

I agree. But that discount and 48 months no interest gets something like this into my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    It's a great looking and intriguing guitar, but I'm not sure about the 'modest means' bit.

User Info Menu

This is a terrific guitar with great appointments and first rate build quality. It sounds fantastic plugged in and the upper fret accessibility is a bonus. It's extremely comfortable to hold with good balance and has a very solid feel.

For those desiring the guitar-they will not be disappointed with the purchase.

For me , the neck felt a bit too slim and the transition to my other guitars ( 1-3/4 nut and larger) was just not working.

As Jabs mentioned , the faded cherry is the best value , but you will give it back on the resale. Faded cherry guitars appear to sell for less than sunburst, or blonde.

I had no regrets owning this guitar and the new owner is quite happy and bonding well.

For the record - it's a Gibson and it retained its value.

User Info Menu

Fo those who choose one of the negative responses (or have a different negative response), how about the reason(s)?

And I don't mean, "I don't need another guitar that fills xxx niche." I mean specifically, and ESPECIALLY if you owned one, what don't you like about it?

The sound? The size? The neck? The overall feel? Or is it a more cosmetic/superficial criticism? (Which is fine of course.)

Perhaps I am seeing this guitar differently than others. More as a guitar for someone who want a slim little jazz semi that sounds more like an archtop.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 11-22-2016 at 12:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    I agree. But that discount and 48 months no interest gets something like this into my hands.
    Make no mistake, I'm jealous!

User Info Menu

I stand corrected. $3369 0% financing over 48 months. That is better than from the Japanese dealer's, all things considered. You can't lose at that price.

Not trying to influence your decision but the Faded Cherry appeals more greatly to me. If you can get $730 discount off it and finance it over 48 months at 0%, that sounds like a better deal. Something about its pared down features has got its hooks in me.

User Info Menu

I bought one, here in the UK, where we pay A LOT of money for Gibsons. Its a beautiful guitar, hollow thin body, not semi, and the size and scale length is great for an oldster like me. I thought the richlite board would be an offput, but, in truth, it doesn't feel much different from ebony, to me. The only reason mine may get moved on at some point, is that I find the 1 11/16" nut a bit tight for me. 1 3/4" or wider is fine, but...... Hey, can I help having big hands? The problem is exacerbated by never developing callouses on my fingertips, despite 50 years playing. Guess I should have stopped using Fairy liquid long ago.

User Info Menu

Gibson ES-275-12006757-front-xlarge-jpgGibson ES-275-12006757-angle-xlarge-jpgGibson ES-275-12006757-back-xlarge-jpgGibson ES-275-12006757-backbody-xlarge-jpgGibson ES-275-12006757-detail3-xlarge-jpg

User Info Menu

Gibson ES-275-12006757-body-xlarge-jpgGibson ES-275-12006757-detail2-xlarge-jpgGibson ES-275-12006757-detail1-xlarge-jpgGibson ES-275-12006757-detail4-xlarge-jpgGibson ES-275-12006757-serial-xlarge-jpg

User Info Menu

That's one of the most delicious looking sunbursts I have seen in a long while. Whoever sprayed that finish, give him or her a raise!

Congrats, Wildcat.

User Info Menu

Jabber,

Honestly I think it qualifies for a work of art.

That's one of the most delicious looking sunbursts I have seen in a long while. Whoever sprayed that finish, give him or her a raise!

Congrats, Wildcat.

User Info Menu

Well, did you order it??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Well, did you order it??
    Yes and thank you for asking. I will take deliver in a few weeks. Christmas in December and my birthday in January.

User Info Menu

She weights in at 6 lbs. 13 ounces.
    BTW Does anybody know how to keep gold hardware shinny and not to corrode ?