The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Gibson ES-275 All that and a "bag of chips" ??

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • I bought one, and it’s a keeper for sure.

31 26.50%
  • If I had the $$$ I would buy one yesterday.

53 45.30%
  • Save your money, and buy something else.

22 18.80%
  • I bought one, and I couldn’t wait to sell it.

1 0.85%
  • The guitar is just a silly design and will pass into Gibson folklore.

12 10.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Posts 176 to 185 of 185

User Info Menu

here comes a pic from my ES-275 with the Filmosound Re-Issue amp and orig. Filmosound 1 x 12" Cab.

had to sell it all when I wanted something else.

that's the way love goes.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarJay
    (...) The sound is still on the brighter edge of the spectrum compared to other hollowbodies I've owned, but not so bright I can't use it for my playing. (...)
    It is the bridge with titanium saddles. A year ago I had the P90 ES275, I liked it a lot but the titanium zing of the bridge was too weird for me! I like bright but not that thin! I ordered an ebony bridge for the guitar and it made it sound good. Maybe a normal brass bridge would have done the same.

Congrats for Your ES275s, altough I sold mine I love them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    Honestly, at the age of 61 going on 62 I don't want to leave behind a room full of stuff that my family knows nothing about. I have thought about a wider coffin to hold the amps and guitars. And cremation? Geez those guitars will make one hell of a fire. Quick story. I had an aunt that was a horder. Took months to clean out her house. After that well, kind of rethought the whole thing. Oh and before she died she sold prewar Martin that was her brother's for a song. Yikes.
    I gave my son a pictorial list with my cost and approximate fair retail on all of my gits. Going on 70 I guess I should downsize but I get separation anxiety thinking about it and honestly I'm not motivated financially so other than planning for my demise there's really no reason to sell... maybe someday :-)

User Info Menu

ES-275s are neat guitars, and I seriously looked into getting one a couple of years ago, but I just couldn't swing the cost to buy one. In retrospect I'm glad I didn't buy one, since they basically have the same slim taper necks my old ES-137 had, that drove me up the wall.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    I gave my son a pictorial list with my cost and approximate fair retail on all of my gits. Going on 70 I guess I should downsize but I get separation anxiety thinking about it and honestly I'm not motivated financially so other than planning for my demise there's really no reason to sell... maybe someday :-)
    A year ago, when the Covid made us all think about eternity, I started to make a list of my guitars and amps with estimated resale values etc.

Soon noticed that every modification in amps and guitars will make things more complicated for the people who try to solve what is and where. ”ES-175 with non stock bridge and neck pickup (the stock ones are in the cardboard box in the drawer blah blah blah)”.

Remember this if a modification is in Your mind! It won’t make things easier for those who come after!

User Info Menu

I loved everything about the 275, but mine had the dreaded neck hump at the body. Had to say bye-bye.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    Honestly, at the age of 61 going on 62 I don't want to leave behind a room full of stuff that my family knows nothing about. I have thought about a wider coffin to hold the amps and guitars. And cremation? Geez those guitars will make one hell of a fire. Quick story. I had an aunt that was a horder. Took months to clean out her house. After that well, kind of rethought the whole thing. Oh and before she died she sold prewar Martin that was her brother's for a song. Yikes.
    I'm 72. I already have several nice guitars, including a 2017 ES 275 and a 1985 ES 335. I can't get my mind off getting a new 335 for some reason.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Filmosound 621
    that's the way love goes.

User Info Menu

So it’s been some years now and I love the design of smaller hollow body guitars or Archtops in general. After playing numerous versions of the 275 platform, I am not overly impressed.

I think this might work for solid body or even thin-line aficionados.
    But the neck being flat to the body as opposed to say a 175 pitch above the body, is my preference.
    Doesn’t work well for me.
    I also think the neck shape is on the small/med side of Gibson profiles, which I don’t care for either.

I say this owning a Benedetto Bambino in comparison. But again everyone is different and you might end up loving them.

User Info Menu

When I've thought about getting a 275, my wallet always points me towards a Seventy Seven Hawk instead. But the Montreux Burst 275s are undeniably gorgeous guitars.
    Last edited by jim777; 05-19-2022 at 12:01 PM.