The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Gibson ES-275 All that and a "bag of chips" ??

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • I bought one, and it’s a keeper for sure.

31 26.50%
  • If I had the $$$ I would buy one yesterday.

53 45.30%
  • Save your money, and buy something else.

22 18.80%
  • I bought one, and I couldn’t wait to sell it.

1 0.85%
  • The guitar is just a silly design and will pass into Gibson folklore.

12 10.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 185

User Info Menu

FWIW - it looks like there will be a version of the 2019 275 Thinline (semi-hollow) with P-90's. No photos, but ZZounds is listing it.

Gibson 2019 ES-275 P-90 Thinline Semi-Hollowbody Electric Guitar

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The specs say Centerblock: None
    - Bracing: Thermally Engineered Quarter Sawn Adirondack Spruce

Something new for a semi?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boogaloo
    Yes, p90’s and the Dr. Z Cure can sound like a that if you wish. It can do blackface too with the turn of the mid knob. A very, very responsive eq and a global volume control is a big help. This is a great jazz amp. Best kept secret. I wanted to buy something other than a Princeton. I don’t miss reverb at all. I hooked up a HOF reverb and although it sounded great, I’d rather play without it. I want to hear my guitar through this amp with nothing in between.
    You don’t happen to have some gadgets to record a demo? Smartphone & YouTube?

We insist!

User Info Menu

I’ve never posted a video here before but I’m willing to give it a go. I’ll see what I can do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boogaloo
    The specs say Centerblock: None
    - Bracing: Thermally Engineered Quarter Sawn Adirondack Spruce

Something new for a semi?
    A semi should come with a stop tailpiece. I don't think that this is a thinline with a center block but a full hollow body ES-275 with just a typical cut&paste mistake in the headline. I'm glad they come up with a new P90 version and I hope they will offer a few more finishes other than white as well.

User Info Menu

The 'full hollow' model with trapeze remains my favorite version of the ES275.

User Info Menu

A couple of years after buying mine, I'm still happy with it. There have been no surprises at all.

It's light and plays well. The design of the instrument should be enduring.

Mine is the basic model, which is all you need really. It looks good but doesn't dazzle, unless you are dazzled by simple elegance.

Mine is just like the one in this video but has a bit more figuring on the top.

User Info Menu

I regret not buying the ES-275 Custom, one of each, with humbuckers and with P90s during the Great CME Floor Model sale.

User Info Menu

I owned each of the early models in the Montreal burst and Cherry. Primarily for the comfort of the 15" lower bout. I sold both. I thought the value for the price was a bit high. However, when I bought 2004 Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion III afterwards, for a very fair price from a forum member, Cherry finish, I never looked back. To boot, I am the OP for this thread started back in 2016. I was really hot on the guitar once again for the comfort. Also, it was part of my downsizing mode. I am down to one soildbody, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom, one semihollowbody, the HRIII, and one hollowbody, 1999 Epiphone Zephyr Regent Reissue, and two Wright Soloette travel guitars.

User Info Menu

I think this whole downsizing thing is bad.
    I strongly encourage you to upsize.
    That's a way better approach.
    Of course, I will enable you to do this.

User Info Menu

Honestly, at the age of 61 going on 62 I don't want to leave behind a room full of stuff that my family knows nothing about. I have thought about a wider coffin to hold the amps and guitars. And cremation? Geez those guitars will make one hell of a fire. Quick story. I had an aunt that was a horder. Took months to clean out her house. After that well, kind of rethought the whole thing. Oh and before she died she sold prewar Martin that was her brother's for a song. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    I think this whole downsizing thing is bad.
    I strongly encourage you to upsize.
    That's a way better approach.
    Of course, I will enable you to do this.

User Info Menu

Then again if I was Shiva, with 4 arms, perhaps I would reconsider as I could play two guitars at one time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    Then again if I was Shiva, with 4 arms, perhaps I would reconsider as I could play two guitars at one time.
    Coincidentally, the name of my band is
    The Sittin' Shivas
    We're all about the mournin' AND the limitless, transcendent, unchanging and formless blues!
    Last edited by Hammertone; 07-18-2019 at 12:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djelley
    FWIW - it looks like there will be a version of the 2019 275 Thinline (semi-hollow) with P-90's. No photos, but ZZounds is listing it.

Gibson 2019 ES-275 P-90 Thinline Semi-Hollowbody Electric Guitar
    fugly

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    A couple of years after buying mine, I'm still happy with it. There have been no surprises at all.

Mine is the basic model, which is all you need really. It looks good but doesn't dazzle, unless you are dazzled by simple elegance.

sounds about like the one I played. Both acoustically and through the amp, I felt like it had all treble and very slim bass and mid response.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    sounds about like the one I played. Both acoustically and through the amp, I felt like it had all treble and very slim bass and mid response.
    You have better ears than I do, I'm sure.

I put heavier strings on than most. That may make a difference.

BTW, the white 275 with P90s looks okay to me. The rosewood board doesn't seem to fit with white and black. If it looked more like the Custom with gold, block MOP inlays, and an ebony board, it would be super, assuming they build it well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass

ES 275- That Great Gretsch Sound!

User Info Menu

I applaud Gibson for putting out newer models. But after playing numerous versions of this guitar including P 90 model and thin line versions.
    I'm underwhelmed for several reasons

As Jack Z pointed out already they seem a bit weak in the bass dept and sound quite small acoustically. I had a Benedetto Bambino Std that seemed to have more pleasing acoustic tone that translated when plugged in.

I also don't care for the neck shape,but that's a personal preference. A bit small overall, could be fatter or at least wider in spec.
    Seemed a bit neck heavy, but I didn't try it with a strap. For this style instrument I think there are better choices in that price range.

User Info Menu

I bought a used mint condition 2016 model in cherry a couple months ago. I can’t stop playing it. I do wish the neck was just a hair wider and fatter, but since it has the rounded shape I find it super comfortable. The MHS pickups are very bright and clear - I can easily get P90-esque tones from the neck pickup. The seller had 10s on it and I’ll soon switch to 11 flats and see where I am with brightness and bass response. I play amplified, so too much bass can get woofy, but too little sounds weak. Right now I’d say it’s light in the bass but within a normal range of variation for guitars. Between strings and pole adjustment, I should be able to get an even better sound.

I want to custom order another, but Gibson is not taking orders on them. I’m on the lookout for a sunburst P90 at a steal price.

I’ve sold three guitars since getting this, including a Gibson Historic 1954 Les Paul Custom, and I’m likely to sell my Historic ‘59 ES-335 and L5 Signature too.

It’s a winner for me!
    Last edited by GuitarJay; 08-23-2020 at 03:46 PM.

User Info Menu

$3000-$4000 for veneer flame top? Pass!! I'll take a recent very well made Eiphone ES 339 for $500, new. Or an 2019 new Epiphone Johnny A for a great deal at $699. Ebony fretboard, 2 Gibson 57s pickups, gold hardware, and a gold Bigsby B70. It has a AAAA veneer flame top. Right now my luthier is pulling the B70 and installing a stopbar.
    BTW Both have 14" lower bouts. Very comfortable for myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    I applaud Gibson for putting out newer models. But after playing numerous versions of this guitar including P 90 model and thin line versions.

As Jack Z pointed out already they seem a bit weak in the bass dept and sound quite small acoustically. I had a Benedetto Bambino Std that seemed to have more pleasing acoustic tone that translated when plugged in.

I also don't care for the neck shape,but that's a personal preference. A bit small overall, could be fatter or at least wider in spec.
    Seemed a bit neck heavy, but I didn't try it with a strap. For this style instrument I think there are better choices in that price range.

User Info Menu

I loved everything about my Montreux except for the stupid Les Paul neck. Narrow and round. Would prefer wide and shallow. Especially not comfy with the rounded fretboard sides. Too bad, because I loved the sound, and I also loved the look.

User Info Menu

A friend has one and seems to love it (and he has A LOT of guitars..). If Gibson made left handed versions of either the paf or p90 ones I'd buy one, the small scale and small body are perfect for my playing and for louder volumes.

Here's him playing it, hopefully the Facebook video is public..

https://video.fath3-4.fna.fbcdn.net/...83&oe=5F42E567

User Info Menu

I find them to be smaller neck shapes than a comparable Les Paul model. And again I'm glad it works for some of you out there.

I had really high expectations being a long ti e Gibson fan, especially CS and Historic models. But I suggest you all try a Benedetto Bambino for yourself and feel and hear the difference. It just another level of a small Jazz guitar.
    I'm really sad I sold mine!

User Info Menu

I find them to be smaller neck shapes than a comparable Les Paul model. And again I'm glad it works for some of you out there.

I had really high expectations being a long ti e Gibson fan, especially CS and Historic models. But I suggest you all try a Benedetto Bambino for yourself and feel and hear the difference. It just another level of a small Jazz guitar.
    I'm really sad I sold mine!
    When Gibson first inttroduced them they stated that they were aimed at the Japanese market and hence used smaller necks.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 05-07-2021 at 07:20 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarJay
    I bought a used mint condition 2016 model in cherry a couple months ago. I can’t stop playing it. I do wish the neck was just a hair wider and fatter, but since it has the rounded shape I find it super comfortable. The MHS pickups are very bright and clear - I can easily get P90-esque tones from the neck pickup. The seller had 10s on it and I’ll soon switch to 11 flats and see where I am with brightness and bass response. I play amplified, so too much bass can get woofy, but too little sounds weak. Right now I’d say it’s light in the bass but within a normal range of variation for guitars. Between strings and pole adjustment, I should be able to get an even better sound.

I want to custom order another, but Gibson is not taking orders on them. I’m on the lookout for a sunburst P90 at a steal price.

I’ve sold three guitars since getting this, including a Gibson Historic 1954 Les Paul Custom, and I’m likely to sell my Historic ‘59 ES-335 and L5 Signature too.

It’s a winner for me!
    Just an update: I'm purchasing my second one, a sunburst P90 model. It's on the way to my local music store, from one of their locations in another province. I moved to 11 flats and they sound "jazzier" than 10 rounds, but with the 24.75" scale, they feel thin, so I may go to 12 gauge. The sound is still on the brighter edge of the spectrum compared to other hollowbodies I've owned, but not so bright I can't use it for my playing. The pickups are P90-esque in a way. I may at some point try a '57 Classic in the neck position if I get curious.

I have some 50's Gibson reissues and while the neck on the 275 is definitely smaller than the neck on those, the nice rounded back keeps it very comfortable and familiar to me.