The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Gibson ES-275 All that and a "bag of chips" ??

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • I bought one, and it’s a keeper for sure.

31 26.50%
  • If I had the $$$ I would buy one yesterday.

53 45.30%
  • Save your money, and buy something else.

22 18.80%
  • I bought one, and I couldn’t wait to sell it.

1 0.85%
  • The guitar is just a silly design and will pass into Gibson folklore.

12 10.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 185

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Agreed, and comparing it to a 339 and 335, I wasn't expecting a big-box sound. I was expecting the warmth and note bloom of it's cousins and IMO, it didn't have it. Again, I'm not saying it's a bad guitar. If you're looking for something different than the other gibsons in terms of the attributes I described, that's fine. I just didn't feel it had what *I* was looking for. YMMV.
    Different strokes for different folks. The 275 will get as warm and sweet as I want but it is indeed a different animal. It is supposed to be.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I got mine last weekend. For the longtime i thought i couldnt live with a Les Paul neck . Believe me, i regret that prejudice now. It feels and plays great, and the response on higher position (12 or above) is amazing. Dont get stuck on that idea of the Les Paul neck. It is worthless. It plays like a butter.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    This particular guitar is a solid investment for anybody of modest means. Quite a bit of buzz about the guitar. Of course the obvious "out of the box" design and thinking from Gibson. Of course it appears to be driven by the Japanese market and demand.

It seems at this date that people have bought the guitar and a few have sold it since buying it. For me the reference to the Les Paul neck is one aspect that does not appeal to me. But that being said, it's certainly has it's appeal for many reasons.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzwrkr
    I got mine last weekend. For the longtime i thought i couldnt live with a Les Paul neck . Believe me, i regret that prejudice now. It feels and plays great, and the response on higher position (12 or above) is amazing. Dont get stuck on that idea of the Les Paul neck. It is worthless. It plays like a butter.
    Couldn’t agree more. I bought mine last week and it looks like the honeymoon will last a long, long time. The neck is my favorite of all time. Makes me want to never want to put it down—actually I rarely do! I keep worrying about my fiancé. But she thinks it’s cute! And I really love the tones it produces. What a great instrument!

User Info Menu

Yeah ! My wife likes it, too. Seriously, much better than a ES-335, physically speaking. I fits your body. Not as thick as an ES-175, very comfortable while standing. I ve been looking for guitar that is in between ES-175 and 335 in body thickness. This was it.
    Also, versatile guitar. You can pretty much play anything from Jazz to blues to country, soul and funk. the tone palette is amazing.
    I still believe this guitar deserves better recognition. Make sure to straighten the truss rod and acton before playing it. With a good adjustment, this one will take you places boyz and girls...

Quote Originally Posted by El Fundo
    Couldn’t agree more. I bought mine last week and it looks like the honeymoon will last a long, long time. The neck is my favorite of all time. Makes me want to never want to put it down—actually I rarely do! I keep worrying about my fiancé. But she thinks it’s cute! And I really love the tones it produces. What a great instrument!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wendelin
    I had been looking for a good archtop for a several years. Last summer on a trip up north I tried out two ES-175s, a 1958 and 1963. The neck on the 1958 was too chunky, but the 1963 felt great. Only problem was the $8K they wanted for it. When I got back home I went to one of my local stores and saw a new Gibson ES-275 sunburst. Played it for about an hour. Just couldn't put it down. The neck and action just fit. Loved the sunburst. The owner checked with his supplier and offered it to me at a fantastic price. I don't know how he made any money on the deal, but I bought it. Didn't even ask my wife. Changed out the strings to D'Addario light gauge flat wounds and added a Gibson strap button. I play it every day and never look back.
    Likewise.. i am having blast with mine.. i put on the D’addario jazz lights 0.12 set. Loving it . Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Another proud owner here. What are you all playing it through? Any amp sound better or worse in your estimation? I'm using a Quilter 101 through the quilter 10 inch block dock cab. I love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greasy0015
    Another proud owner here. What are you all playing it through? Any amp sound better or worse in your estimation? I'm using a Quilter 101 through the quilter 10 inch block dock cab. I love it.
    Mostly using my Quilter MicroPro for electric things these days. Fabulous deep dark jazz tone with the 275.

User Info Menu

I’m using a Fender Blues jr. tweed. Great sound and light enough to carry around.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I got one in ebony on clearance from Sweetwater recently. I usually have chronic buyer's remorse, but I feel great about this purchase (the deep discount helped a lot).

I'm a sucker for that split diamond headstock though.

User Info Menu

I like this guitar, I think it's good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Fingers
    I got one in ebony on clearance from Sweetwater recently. I usually have chronic buyer's remorse, but I feel great about this purchase (the deep discount helped a lot).

I'm a sucker for that split diamond headstock though.
    Does yours have the rosewood board, or black Richlite?

User Info Menu

I'm still pretty curious about the ES-275. Has anyone here played the P-90 version? That's the one I'd love to try.
    MD

User Info Menu

I have a 2017 vos p90. I absolutely love it. It nails the early 50’s sound. They are dog ear mhs p90’s, I did not need to shim the pickups, they are at the perfect height, just adjust the pole pieces. Sounds just awesome thru my Dr.Z Cure. Very happy overall with the guitar.

User Info Menu

It looks mouthwatering with P90’s, that’s a fact!

User Info Menu

For those on a budget (like me), a similar shaped and built guitar is the Godin Montreal Premiere. I really like mine although the stock pickups were not good. I put Gibson 57/57+ set in mine and the guitar came alive. The newer ones come with SD pickups and even the Supreme version with bindings and split parallelogram inlays is 1/2 the price of the ES 275.

User Info Menu

The Godin Montreal premier is a semi. Large difference.

User Info Menu

The Godin MP is an interesting guitar. IMO, somewhere between a full block semi and a hollowbody ... since the center block on the MP is not solid, heavily scalloped, more like Gretsch trestle bracing than true semi hollow. If I could get one of the P90 models at a bargain price, I'd consider it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mad dog
    The Godin MP is an interesting guitar. IMO, somewhere between a full block semi and a hollowbody ... since the center block on the MP is not solid, heavily scalloped, more like Gretsch trestle bracing than true semi hollow. If I could get one of the P90 models at a bargain price, I'd consider it.
    yeah interesting ....
    Does it have much of an acoustic voice ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boogaloo
    I have a 2017 vos p90. I absolutely love it. It nails the early 50’s sound. They are dog ear mhs p90’s, I did not need to shim the pickups, they are at the perfect height, just adjust the pole pieces. Sounds just awesome thru my Dr.Z Cure. Very happy overall with the guitar.
    Oh man, sounds too promising! I just learned about the Cure. Is it an amp which can nail the early 50’s sound? Any later jazz sounds? Joepassische jazz sounds?

User Info Menu

Yes, p90’s and the Dr. Z Cure can sound like a that if you wish. It can do blackface too with the turn of the mid knob. A very, very responsive eq and a global volume control is a big help. This is a great jazz amp. Best kept secret. I wanted to buy something other than a Princeton. I don’t miss reverb at all. I hooked up a HOF reverb and although it sounded great, I’d rather play without it. I want to hear my guitar through this amp with nothing in between.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    yeah interesting ....
    Does it have much of an acoustic voice ?
    Not loud, not a big voice. But a pleasing one. It is a rather small bodied instrument after all.

User Info Menu

Yes, p90’s and the Dr. Z Cure can sound like a that if you wish. It can do blackface too with the turn of the mid knob. A very, very responsive eq and a global volume control is a big help. This is a great jazz amp. Best kept secret. I wanted to buy something other than a Princeton. I don’t miss reverb at all. I hooked up a HOF reverb and although it sounded great, I’d rather play without it. I want to hear my guitar through this amp with nothing in between.
    Sounds good! It is great that Gibson builds new guitars with P90s but why the heck those models are always a) a rarity and b) an expensive rarity?

The used basic ES-275s are sometimes sold for reachable prices but maybe the P90 model is too new to be sold in same price class.

User Info Menu

Yes, I consider myself very lucky to have found one only 2months ago. They were a limited run in 2017. I also consider myself very fortunate to have the cash to purchase it. It was on sale but still over $4,400 (cdn). I would purchase it again in a heartbeat.

User Info Menu

Yes, I consider myself very lucky to have found one only 2months ago. They were a limited run in 2017. I also consider myself very fortunate to have the cash to purchase it. It was on sale but still over $4,400 (cdn). I would purchase it again in a heartbeat.
    There's one on Reverb right now for $3.2k, but accepting offers. No affiliation.

Gibson ES-275 VOS 2017 Sunburst Nice | Spacetone Music | Reverb