The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Gibson ES-275 All that and a "bag of chips" ??

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • I bought one, and it’s a keeper for sure.

31 26.50%
  • If I had the $$$ I would buy one yesterday.

53 45.30%
  • Save your money, and buy something else.

22 18.80%
  • I bought one, and I couldn’t wait to sell it.

1 0.85%
  • The guitar is just a silly design and will pass into Gibson folklore.

12 10.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 185

User Info Menu

No matter how you look at it, or what the finish or appointments are - that is one sharp looking guitar!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like the understated look of that faded Cherry model, if they do it also in sunburst, or better: worn brown (walnut) then I'm sold!

User Info Menu

I think the ES-275 is pretty cool, but I just aint gots the money for one!

User Info Menu

I bought the red one a couple of weeks ago. My first hollowbody so can't really compare it to anything I've known. But I like the vibe and I figured the cost of ownership in the UK would be about the same as an (initially cheaper but more heavily depreciating Eastman or Peerless) and I get the Gibson ownership experience thrown in (been playing a Strat and a nylon string thus far). So far, I likey ...but as I say.... I don't have a benchmark....and I'm a lousy player!

User Info Menu

This guy sure makes it sing

User Info Menu

If I didn't alredy own a Benedetto Bambino I'd buy one of these in a N.Y. Minute! I'm extremely impressed with Gibson Memphis builds!

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure this is a 275? I would definitely spring for this guitar if I had the funds. Even with the 2-pups.
    Hope she's treating you well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irwin1993

I'm pretty sure this is a 275? I would definitely spring for this guitar if I had the funds. Even with the 2-pups.
    Hope she's treating you well.
    Actually, that's an ES-350T.

User Info Menu

Whoops. I'm sure the 275 doesn't disappoint either haha!

User Info Menu

No it certainly doesn't disappoint. I'm still in the honeymoon(ers) phase with mine but the neck is possibly the nicest feeling spec I've ever had. New, vintage and luthier built included. It also pretty much plays itself, which in my case is a good thing.

I'm curious to see what Gibson does with them re: their line for 2017 and beyond, if anything. It seems like just too good a design spec combination to completely discontinue but I believe some dealers still have one or two. A run of 100. Hefty price point maybe contributing. Who knows.

I still haven't seen a real 'good' demo video of these IMO and I'm not brave enough to do one

User Info Menu

Come on teleboli go for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Well, when I upgrade my flip phone to a smart phone maybe I'll upload something.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by teleboli
    Well, when I upgrade my flip phone to a smart phone maybe I'll upload something.
    Tease!

User Info Menu

No wonder so many musicians turn to drugs and alcohol to deal with the pressures of performing. I can relate now LOL

User Info Menu

Glad you like it teleboli, its a heavy responsibility reviewing a guitar for another player!

User Info Menu

Guess who is playing a ES-275?

User Info Menu

Joe and Norm both think the richlite is ebony, so maybe that says something about how it feels, I know the only difference I feel on mine is that the richlite feels physically colder somehow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bananafist
    Joe and Norm both think the richlite is ebony, so maybe that says something about how it feels, I know the only difference I feel on mine is that the richlite feels physically colder somehow.
    I emailed Norm about that from his web site. He never answered. From my experience as a 275 owner, the Richlite feels a bit "dry" at first. But a few days of finger oil makes it right again. Feels fine now. Time will tell how it cleans up, that's where I think it will actually be better than ebony. However, I'm wondering if refretting will be an issue way down the road. Easier? Harder?

User Info Menu

If you read the youtube comments, one person thinks its a really ugly ass guitar. Can't figure that one out.

User Info Menu

I've tried to do that, feel the difference, really... and given that the callouses on my finger tips prohibit a fine sense of touch and nearly half of the frets are generally full of plastic markers I have yet to feel the difference between Richlite and any other fretboard with the exception of a slick Fender maple neck.

With wood restrictions here, and likely more coming, we players will have to get used to alternative FB materials like baked maple, and richlite or (hopefully) the steadfast users of ebony and rosewood will inflate the prices on older guitars and I and other less discerning owners can cash in on their wood fetish :-)

User Info Menu

I've owned one of these guitars and the Richlite is a non issue. Richlite is comprised of 80-85% wood fiber with an epoxy Binder, and Gibson did a fabulous job incorporating this product into the instrument .

It's a stable product and reports on refretting have been positive - no chipping.

I sold mine only because the neck was too narrow for my hand , or I would still have it . The upper fret access is just
    awesome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by r_cc_c
    Guess who is playing a ES-275?

I'm normally a sunburst guy, but to me that looks great.

User Info Menu

What strikes me about the video is a couple things Joe says and the way he says it. My sense is that Joe mentioned the model to someone at Gibson (because of his love for 350's/335's etc. as he says and he was curious about it) and they 'sent' him one with only the request that he play it in public. Get some exposure you know. That doesn't seem unrealistic to me. I'm not a Joe B. fan per se, not that he's not a great player and very successful, but having seen pics of his gear collection, vintage and new, it's hard to believe he's 'chasing' anything. He could likely have Gibson build him a one off of any guitar spec/shape he wanted. Maybe I'm wrong and as an owner of this model I hope I am.

The one meaningful thing I noticed are his pickup heights. As he says he mainly uses it for the lead 'Chuck sound'. I thought it sounded fantastic there for that. He's got the neck pickup pretty much bottomed out and the bridge pickup where it sounds best for his style.

My point is if he's got his set up that way for his style and it sounds great and I have mine set up to utilize the neck/middle positions I think it illustrates what a fantastically versatile guitar this is just contingent on pickup adjustment. He also mentions the playability which is obvious to anyone who's played one. After lamenting in this thread about the lack of 'good' demos of this model it's nice to see the guitar in the hands of someone recognizable, owning it and talking frankly about it.

User Info Menu

I noticed that it is now available with a rosewood FB, chrome metalwork, 175 inlays, non figured top, unbound head and plain Jane tailpiece.

I think it's odd that the list is only ~$500 less than the figured model. Typically Gibson has some SERIOUS uplifts in price for figured wood, "Custom" head inlays with binding, and gold appointments.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    I noticed that it is now available with a rosewood FB, chrome metalwork, 175 inlays, non figured top, unbound head and plain Jane tailpiece.

I think it's odd that the list is only ~$500 less than the figured model. Typically Gibson has some SERIOUS uplifts in price for figured wood, "Custom" head inlays with binding, and gold appointments.
    Actually it has always been available in both models. But you are right, the small price differential is odd.