The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Gibson ES-275 All that and a "bag of chips" ??

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • I bought one, and it’s a keeper for sure.

31 26.50%
  • If I had the $$$ I would buy one yesterday.

53 45.30%
  • Save your money, and buy something else.

22 18.80%
  • I bought one, and I couldn’t wait to sell it.

1 0.85%
  • The guitar is just a silly design and will pass into Gibson folklore.

12 10.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 185

User Info Menu

That is pretty sweet

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's funny WS would post that particular pic of the Bruno. I bought that very Bruno example a few years ago from a forum member after seeing Chuck D'Aloia playing it in front of that very fireplace. The demo videos have since been removed from YouTube. Chuck may be a member here as well. Not sure.

Anyway, to the 275. Wildcat, not sure if they're D' Addario , but that's what I put on. They sound great.

The guitar is pretty addictive, as any 'good' guitar is. There's been a couple mornings where I grab it and 3 hours later need to remind myself to eat breakfast. The problem is, it's almost lunch.

It's just a really great playing experience. It feels great, sounds great, great sustain, great smooth tone, effortless playability, and for Gibson fan boys like myself, it sounds like a Gibson. The fingerboard is jet black and I doubt you'd notice a difference from ebony. A non-issue IMO as has been said by QAman and others.

You may have to adjust pickup heights depending on how you intend to use the guitar. That's not atypical though. The bone nut is extremely well done, the inlays etc, etc. As you know each guitar puts you in a certain frame of mind when you play them. With the overall feel, rich Montreux burst ( it reminds me of cognac ) and velvety sounds it's a nice frame of mind to be in when the mood or need strike.

Let her acclimatize and enjoy! Let us know what you think. Don't take as long to do so as I did
    Last edited by teleboli; 12-02-2016 at 06:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    $4090 - $730 = $3369. Then 48 months zero interest ...
    Ha! Wildcat, who's your rep at Sweetwater? I think we need to get to know him!

User Info Menu

Love to hear some recordings chaps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Definitely

User Info Menu

Well I just sealed the deal with Sweetwater and the guitar will be shipping probably today.
    BTW What size strings come with the guitar? 10's?
    Those whom have owned it, with type and size works best for this guitar?

Just FYI , I prefer TI 11's, JS111 flats, on the Es275's they work quite well ,no lack of volume or tone
    we all will be pleased to hear upon your receipt and your NGD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I thought the Sadowsky and Gibson both have a 12" radius. No?

Woody,
    That may be the case , I can't remember now, but I have a number of
    Gibsons ,each with the standard 12" radius, and no problem at all .But
    for some peculiar reason the JB Sadowsky seemed flatter and slightly
    uncomfortable, to play. The sustain was not on a par with Gibson either.
    Perhaps I'm too picky ? because I found similar issues with a Benedetto
    Bravo Deluxe, coupled with other problems.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Woody,
    That may be the case , I can't remember now, but I have a number of
    Gibsons ,each with the standard 12" radius, and no problem at all .But
    for some peculiar reason the JB Sadowsky seemed flatter and slightly
    uncomfortable, to play. The sustain was not on a par with Gibson either.
    Perhaps I'm too picky ? because I found similar issues with a Benedetto
    Bravo Deluxe, coupled with other problems.
    That shows how individual we all are. As much as I like my 275, I wish the neck felt more like the Sadowsky.

User Info Menu

Actually that was a price I was quoted about 3-4 months when I found out about this model. However, I couldn't pull the trigger at the time. I have a new rep with Sweetwater. He quoted a slightly higher price on this guitar. Then I told him about the earlier quote. He honored it.

This all started when Woody Sound started a thread on this model earlier in the year. Then QAman got me rolling with his guy at The Music Zoo and the great price quoted. Then I knew I could get a discount on the front end. But how to the do the backend? Sweetwater has had 24/36 and now 48 month 0% financing off an on for a while. So I silently waited for all of the pieces to come together. I guess if I do this again I will be considered a "serial" guitar stalker.

One of the reasons this happened is that this guitar is not flying off the shelves. You would think in December for a "Limited Edition" the stock would be long gone. Actually I think dark natural has a higher grade of flame veneer and looks nicer in those regards. They seem to be not sell as fast as the dark burst.

So before this turns into a commercial for Sweetwater, PM with any other questions.

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Last edited by Wildcat; 12-03-2016 at 09:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Opened the case looked her over. First thing I noticed was no guitar strap post at the neck/upper bout.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Opened the case looked her over. First thing I noticed was no guitar strap post at the neck/upper bout.
    Yeah, I haven't decided where to put it yet.

User Info Menu

Fo those who choose one of the negative responses (or have a different negative response), how about the reason(s)?

And I don't mean, "I don't need another guitar that fills xxx niche."
    I didn't answer negatively but what you said sounds like sufficient reason to not spend upwards of $3k to tryout a git they likely cannot play locally? Just IMO but good enough reason for me :-)

I also think that the more gits you own, the more the niche reason becomes a larger factor.

Like the ES195, Midtown series, Solid Formed and others I bet many KNOW it will likely soon be discontinued and the prices will plummet on the clearance pages and "maybe" a long distance tryout can be justified.

User Info Menu

One thing to consider is that Sweetwater allows you 45 days to try it out and return it. Not sure about the others on-liners, but I have done this on a number items with SW. No questions asked. Speed of light refunding also. They just make it all too dam easy. Down right EVIL if you ask me!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    I didn't answer negatively but what you said sounds like sufficient reason to not spend upwards of $3k to tryout a git they likely cannot play locally? Just IMO but good enough reason for me :-)

User Info Menu

That's fine, but I have no idea what you mean.

User Info Menu

My first thought was at the heel. But depending on the balance for this guitar perhaps some place else. BTW That's one thing I think I did not hear anybody mention was the balance for the guitar.

Gibson ES-275-12006757-backbody-large-mm-jpg

Yeah, I haven't decided where to put it yet.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

That's fine, but I have no idea what you mean.
    I didn't answer negatively but what you said sounds like sufficient reason to not spend upwards of $3k to tryout a git they likely cannot play locally? Just IMO but good enough reason for me

"Fo those who choose one of the negative responses (or have a different negative response), how about the reason(s)?

"And I don't mean, "I don't need another guitar that fills xxx niche."

I do not think any more explanations are needed... however...

It damn well BETTER fit a niche... the only way to find that out is to try it.

Recently Gibson quality, sound and playability are all over the map, without knowing all of these anyone who buys one sight unseen on physical appearance alone has more $ than sense.

So, IMO, a niche is all I and many others need.
    Last edited by GNAPPI; 12-03-2016 at 05:33 PM.

User Info Menu

My first thought was at the heel. But depending on the balance for this guitar perhaps some place else. BTW That's one thing I think I did not hear anybody mention was the balance for the guitar.
    I tested out one of these guitars on a jazz gig, and sat on a barstool while playing it, with no strap. It balanced fine. Visually, I'd prefer it with lighter-weight vintage-style or waffleback Klusons - I think those look better than Grovers.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 12-03-2016 at 09:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Sitting, without a strap, it balances perfectly on my leg. I thought it might lean toward the neck, but not at all.

User Info Menu

I didn't answer negatively but what you said sounds like sufficient reason to not spend upwards of $3k to tryout a git they likely cannot play locally? Just IMO but good enough reason for me

"Fo those who choose one of the negative responses (or have a different negative response), how about the reason(s)?

"And I don't mean, "I don't need another guitar that fills xxx niche."

I do not think any more explanations are needed... however...

It damn well BETTER fit a niche... the only way to find that out is to try it.

Recently Gibson quality, sound and playability are all over the map, without knowing all of these anyone who buys one sight unseen on physical appearance alone has more $ than sense.

So, IMO, a niche is all I and many others need.
    Well for me, this git is filling MANY niches, where I may be able to sell TWO or THREE guitars. If you don't like it without even trying it, I understand that. Probably your loss. I bought mine 2nd hand for WELL under $3 and am thrilled with the purchase.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 12-03-2016 at 08:17 PM.

User Info Menu

I would LOVE one, but can't bring myself to spend the dough at the moment. But damn they are good looking!

User Info Menu

Woody, I never said I didn't like it, quite the contrary I do a lot, but wouldn't buy a Gibby any longer remotely. An Ibanez? yup... even an Epi, but not a Gibson.

You are right, it may be that it's my loss, but I have sufficient gits that already fill many a "niche" without risking a $3k tryout regardless how painless some great sellers make it to return... possibly in pieces from shipping either way.

User Info Menu

Gnappi - I think I misread your post. I interpreted "not able to play locally" as "not able to play out with." Now I know what you meant.

User Info Menu

The faded Cherry model has the vintage tuners. Looking at the nickel hardware on this model, tail piece, it appears that it may weight less than the gold hardware models..

Gibson ES-275-6_headstock_straight_back_19853-2cbe4ad6c74a89277516fbf6b63f91c4-jpgGibson ES-275-1_full_straight_front_19853-97ce64045e56e42a691e3d1218505d5e-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    I tested out one of these guitars on a jazz gig, and sat on a barstool while playing it, with no strap. It balanced fine. Visually, I'd prefer it with lighter-weight vintage-style or waffleback Klusons - I think those look better than Grovers.