The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 111 of 111

User Info Menu

I really like the Bartolini "Jazz Pair" (PBF55 /PBF57). Installed them in an Ibanez AF125 and they really made a HUGE improvement in tone over the stock Chinese Super 58 Customs.

Best Jazz Guitar Pickups-bartolini-jazz-pair-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FredC
    I really like the Bartolini "Jazz Pair" (PBF55 /PBF57). Installed them in an Ibanez AF125 and they really made a HUGE improvement in tone over the stock Chinese Super 58 Customs.
    The AF125 is very similar to the AF155. The body size and shape is pretty much identical. Do you have a link to a recording from your 125? I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

User Info Menu

I prefer good P90s, followed by good humbuckers or mini humbuckers for a Fender fit. You will get a ton of anecdotal info from such a question. I don't think there is a best jazz pickup. Pickup design is not rocket science.

User Info Menu

My favorite Jim Hall tone was the mid 60s with Paul Desmond. I believe that was the 175, P90 and a Gibson amp.

It goes without saying, even though I'm going to say it, that you could play his own gear and still not sound like him.

BTW, I've never been a big fan of the 175, which I have usually heard with humbuckers. Jim Hall, though, made it sound great, at least with the P90.

User Info Menu

Sorry, I don't have a recording of the AF125. However, if you purchase from MF, you can return the pickups even after they've been installed if you're not happy with them.

User Info Menu

I have an Eastman AR371CE and I'd like to try something other than the stock neck pickup, which I find a bit meh. I have never been that gear-focussed (until starting jazz guitar!) and have never had pickups changed for any guitar I've owned before, so please excuse the extreme lack of knowledge on my part. My current choice is the Mr. 2000HB Dearmond style pickup in HB size by Gabojo Labs. Just wondering if anyone has any experience/advice (or even audio clips) with regard to these pickups? Is there much hum? Do you have a preference for the adjustment of the magnets? Potted vs unpotted? Someone recently told me that the picksups are very trebly—has this been the case for you? I have searched the forums and have seen a few posts about this pickup, but not many.

I have also been considering the Creamery's Charlie Christian pickup (Rob MacKillop's YouTube video of this pickup was very persuasive) but according to their website, the online shop is currently closed. I've previously had some email contact with the owner, but he is taking a long time to respond at present (understandable, given the times we are living in with the COVID-19 pandemic). Part of me is wondering whether to wait to see if he responds. Not really sure what to do about this but I am still pretty excited about the Mr. 2000HB anyway, so I think it's the leading contender.
    Last edited by RoboTom; 04-08-2020 at 01:11 PM.

User Info Menu

I've got a set of Gabojo Dynasonics in my 1983 Epiphone Emperor.
    Mine are unpotted. I play clean most of the time and I like it when the pickup is slightly microphonic.

There isn't much hum. These a true single coils so there is always going to be a small amount of hum but they are a lot less noisy than a P-90 for example. If you're using both pickups together they are reverse wound, so no hum.

These pickups are not especially trebly. They do have an extended high end compared to P-90s or most humbuckers. The bass is big and round sounding, mids are smooth and the highs are sweet sounding. I run my tone control on my guitar between 4 and 7 with these pickups.

Dynas are extremely sensitive to adjustments. Those big magnets don't really like being too close to the strings. I like mine with the pickups set low and the poles raised a bit. This gives a punchy mid range. Lowering the poles and raising the bobbins gives a darker sound.

this is a recording of me playing mine... recorded on a phone so the sound quality is far from good but it might give you an idea of the kind of vibe the pickups have. It's through a Quilter Aviator 2x10'' amp

User Info Menu

Thank so much. That's all very helpful. My guitar only has a neck pick-up so there would be some hum but it's definitely good to know that it would be much less than a P-90. I'm relieved that you haven't found the pickups to be that trebly either. You sound happy with your set of Mr. 2000HBs and that's encouraging. The tone in your video is also encouraging, although it is hard for me to know the extent of influence of your Nocturne Jr. Barnyard (another piece of gear that I have coveted!).

PS FYI, I also found this video which shows an Ibanez AS153 with what looks like just the neck pickup of the Mr. 2000SB (but not the HB). Mr.2000SB pickups by GABOJO and Ibanez... - Gabojo guitar pickups amplification

User Info Menu

another great pup maker specializing in dearmond dynasonic type pups is tv jones...he does a dyna in humbucker (english) mount..nice

tv jones sources some of the materials from the same manufacturers that made the original dearmond and gretsch pickups..he knows his stuff!!

T-Armond Neck Pickup - English Mount - TV Jones Inc.

cheers

[QUOTE=Silence;25436]I have a Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck position of my Telecaster. It really gives a thick jazzy tone whether or not I have my tone rolled down.

With the tone all the way up, I can get some pretty good slap and pop sounds as well.
    [/QOUTE]

I have read that ‘59 Seymour Duncan neck pickups are more bright than warm. Do you find it to very bright in the tele?

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=JohnLettieri;1120189]
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence
    I have a Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck position of my Telecaster. It really gives a thick jazzy tone whether or not I have my tone rolled down.

With the tone all the way up, I can get some pretty good slap and pop sounds as well.
    [/QOUTE]

I have read that ‘59 Seymour Duncan neck pickups are more bright than warm. Do you find it to very bright in the tele?
    I had a Seymour Duncan Lil' '59 in the bridge position of my '66 Custom Telecaster for years. A friend of mine took it on the road for a rock tour. I later took it out because it was so much more powerful than the neck pup. It would indeed make a great neck pup!