The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: What telecaster to get?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • American vintage 51 or 52 tele. Man up to the neck radius and frets. That is the real deal

25 20.66%
  • Modern american standard or elite tele. Why not taking advantage of the modern improvements?

38 31.40%
  • Warmoth custom build. Why do you care that it is a Fender?

25 20.66%
  • Get a cheapo and mod it, after all it is a tele and there is no point in 'boutique planks'

33 27.27%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 121

User Info Menu

My teacher likes his Haar Tele. Haar = Netherlands.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You need another choice: 'Doesn't matter - any Tele will do'

User Info Menu

Say, let's work it from the other angle. Has anyone ever played a Telecaster that was a dog? I must say, I haven't. I briefly owned a '57 Esquire--traded it almost immediately for a '69 Telecaster because I was (a) an idiot and (b) I wanted two pickups. I owned a '69 because see above. I played a '80s MIJ with Joe Barden pickups for a long time (owned by a band mate but played by me in a band). I owned a '92 Reissue '52. I owned a '83 top loader. Now, I own a partscaster. Every one of these guitars has been a winner...no bowsers in the bunch.

Plus, I've played scores of other Telecasters--everything from Affinity Squires to seriously expensive vintage 50s guitars, to G&L instruments, to Nash "T" guitars. Frankly, I have liked them all. I just don't find anything _not_ to like in the Telecaster guitar.

My preference: 7.25" radius/small frets/fat neck/original-style pickups...hmm? I guess it's the '51/'52 for me...if the neck is truly chunky. Thin neck is a deal breaker for me.

User Info Menu

I'm surprised no one mentions weight.

I bought a fender squire '52 tele the first year they came out. At 1/3 the price of an american tele it was a steal. I have heard they were made with all american parts and assembled in Japan. Wonderful instrument. I probably depreciated it's collectibility by installing Lollars - whatever Jason recommended in the bridge and a CC in the neck. Great tone and playability.

But it weighs a ton and now that I'm in my dotage weight has become a consideration.

So about 6 months ago I bought a Danocaster tele off ebay. There were 3 considerations. Reputation, weight and price. Danocasters have a good reputation and seem to hold their value on resale. The instrument weight was just shy of 7 lbs. And the price was considerably better than going prices on Reverb.

I tend to assess instruments by how they sound acoustically. You can change pickups but you can't change the inherent sound of an unplugged instrument. And in my opinion, tonal response is largely characterized by native acoustic properties, even in an instrument like a tele. This instrument sustains acoustically like no other solid body I have played. To the point that I find myself palm muting far more than I expected.

GNAPPI's point about great cheaper guitars is right on the money. The odds are that once in a while a great one will roll off the assembly line. But you have to play it to know if it's a keeper and that's a search that can take years And recommendations for other makers is, again, much to the point. I think that with the Danocaster, I bought an instrument that is in every way comparable to a Fender Custom Shop guitar and at a third of the price. And maybe even better than a CS

I love the neck on the instrument. Probably my favourite of any of my instruments (and bashfully say more than 2 which is not as zen as I would like). I have replaced the pickups which were Lollars with a set of Ron Ellis. There was nothing wrong with the Lollars but sometimes guitar nerdiness rules good sense and I rationalized the cost by figuring how much I had saved over a Custom Shop. They really are wonderful pickups.

Does weight make a difference? Other than ergonomics I don't know. She is a keeper though. Maybe luck.
    Last edited by deselby; 11-07-2016 at 08:01 PM.

I would go Warmoth. Just fyi, I used to work there answering phones and then became head of QC. I don't have a very positive impression of that company based on working there, but I will say that their products are superior to anything I have ever seen from Fender or any other manufacturer other than PRS and Ernie Ball, which Ken Warmoth hates, as far as major manufacturers go. Your resell will be almost nothing, but the quality of wood, finish, and hardware would far surpass Fender. You won't be displeased if you go the Warmoth route, definitely check out the used Warmoth market too. Steals as far as deals go.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I did the Warmoth thing 3 times. I can definitely attest to the quality of the product (I guess these three also explain why I am not looking for more bling). I am sorry to hear that they were not fun working for. I must say that they have been really pleasant to do business with.
    What telecaster to get?-img_5296-jpg

But I think that I made up my mind now in as far that for this one, although it is very tempting, I will not go with Warmoth or another builder. I am sure that they're all great but I got it clear that I want a Fender.

After listening more to sound samples and demos I think that I will also not go for the vintage american Fenders. Back in the day a tele was an affordable, working man's guitar. I see no reason to pay these inflated prices for a guitar that can be had in similar quality for a tenth of the price. The samples of some original 50s teles were not convincing either.

That would leave the alternatives:
    - The american elite ticks the right boxes. The sound samples I heard were really good too. It is a bit pricy though.
    - I know that I like the Baja at a mid price point and as was pointed out above - why not go for it?
    - I am also tempted to walk into the next music store and get the next best not-too-heavy cheapo with a neck and fretwork that feels good and then put some quality hardware and electronics on it. I guess the Squire Affinity, or classic vibe would do just fine and it'll come still out at a third of the price of an elite or less.

Mmmh, maybe go with the cheapo and sometime down the road get the elite? still undecided.

User Info Menu

Looking at the stats we are all equally divided over which and what to get. \now that's the Tele conundrum right there!

Tele body with a humbucker rout and swap out hardware and p/ups to taste.

It all centres on how much coin you want to roll out.

If ye wanna summat dats good to go then the Baja is the choice.

Yes, I am also surprised that we are so evenly divided on this poll. I had expected that there would be a clear favorite. Interesting also that so many recommend to go the cheapo route.

I have to agree with you jazzbow. The Baja sits right in the middle of my reasoning.

User Info Menu

The Baja Tele checks all your boxes at a great price!

User Info Menu

Where is the option for 'all of the above'?

User Info Menu

Hi guys,
    You know where can I get a cheap Tele type with
    neck Humbucker
    Rosewood board
    Medium or jumbo frets
    tummy contour like a strat

Doesn't have to be a Fender

Thanks guys

User Info Menu

I saw a Jerry Jones sugar pine Tele for sale online several years ago for 400 and some dollars. JJ is out of business now but he made some quality remakes of Danos incl the Coral sitar which I had for a while. Not sure of the pups, maybe lipsticks.
    Does anyone know anything about them?

User Info Menu

Jerry Jones made some really great stuff. I have a Jerry Jones electric sitar that plays and sounds great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Hi guys,
    You know where can I get a cheap Tele type with
    neck Humbucker
    Rosewood board
    Medium or jumbo frets
    tummy contour like a strat

Doesn't have to be a Fender

Thanks guys
    What telecaster to get?-img_0608-478x640-jpg
    Squier vintage 60's Custom thingy. No tummy cut contour but with all the natural padding I have I don't need one.
    £200 ebay
    then....
    £45 Seymour Duncan AlNiCo II bridge p/up
    £60 Vintage Vibe CC Rider as a H/bucker
    £4 pio cap
    £6 4-way switch
    £10 brass Kluson harmonic saddles
    £10 black 3 ply scratch plate
    £0 Bone nut from an old kitchen knife handle

All in for £335!

All set up by me so factor in £40 + strings to the above total.

Currently these Squiers go for £400 online.

But to me priceless and irreplaceable.

So don't ask.

Last edited by jazzbow; 11-08-2016 at 12:28 PM.

User Info Menu

G&L ASAT Classic is a great Tele style guitar. The MFD pickups are really nice, a bit more bold and full than a vintage Tele pickup. There's quite a few ASAT Classics on Reverb for $975 new. G&L raised their prices earlier this year so $975 is really well priced for new.

The ASAT Bluesboy is another good choice if you like a humbucker in the neck and semi-hollow body.

G&L's can vary quite a bit on weight with ASAT's ranging from 6.5 lbs to 9 lbs. If weight matters I would ask the seller. Personally I would go with a 7lb - 8lb Tele: I had a 6.5lb that sounded too airy for a tele (good for jazz, but absolutely no twang), and I do have a 8.5 lb ASAT that is one of the best sounding guitars I have (mega-twang machine and the MFD in the neck has a big bold jazz sound).
    Last edited by MaxTwang; 11-08-2016 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Where is the option for 'all of the above'?
    Now here is a radically new perspective to explore :-)

... i was on my way to reach this conclusion

I remembered what I did not like about the Baja tele I had: that really thick poly finish. It gave it a really plasticky feel. I liked the sounds, electronics, neck, but the finish and the tuners weren't for me (the latter would have been an easy fix of course). Maybe that is being too picky ... otherwise the guitar was great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlainJazz
    I love my American special Tele. To me it's the perfect Tele. I love it for jazz,but use it for pretty much everything:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have an American Special also and will second this comment! Great guitar for the money!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLearns
    I remembered what I did not like about the Baja tele I had: that really thick poly finish. It gave it a really plasticky feel. I liked the sounds, electronics, neck, but the finish and the tuners weren't for me (the latter would have been an easy fix of course). Maybe that is being too picky ... otherwise the guitar was great.
    You could always sand down the finish. I've done that on a few poly finished necks.
    Sand it down with 1000 grit wet and dry with a little soapy water then buff up the lacquer with a metal polish.
    No more sticky poly

That is actually a nice suggestion jazzbow - thank you! That might be really something to consider. Maybe even sand it down to the wood and then re-finish with some oil (I guess true oil is what people use?). I love the look of 'natural' teles.

User Info Menu

Telecaster post election advice:

Always go guitar shopping after an election

1) If you support Trump, congratulations! Buy a Telecaster to celebrate. I suggest a blonde, nocaster reissue. It absolutely has to be a Custom Shop.

2) If you supported one of the other candidates, commiserations. Buy a Telecaster to cheer yourself up. Perhaps one of those modern ones with the extra features?

3) Ambivalent about the results? Buy two Telecasters!

4) If you are a Libertarian, perhaps consider a classic Vibe. If you cannot be free, you can at least be cheap.

This approach has worked out very well for me, except for the last UK general election.

I bought a Fender Princeton Reverb instead.
    Last edited by christianm77; 11-09-2016 at 01:30 PM.

User Info Menu

This approach has worked out very well for me, except for the last UK general election .
    UK General erection, just one stiff after another.

User Info Menu

1) If you support Trump, congratulations! Buy a Telecaster to celebrate. I suggest a blonde, nocaster reissue. It absolutely has to be a Custom Shop.

2) If you supported one of the other candidates, commiserations. Buy a Telecaster to cheer yourself up. Perhaps one of those modern ones with the extra features?

3) Ambivalent about the results? Buy two Telecasters!

4) If you are a Libertarian, perhaps consider a classic Vibe. If you cannot be free, you can at least be cheap.

This approach has worked out very well for me, except for the last UK general election.

I bought a Fender Princeton Reverb instead.
    Good advice, except the 1)- it's absolutely needs to be an orange tele. And if you already own a Mexican made tele, you need to find a new place for it, behind your wall somwhere.

User Info Menu

I put flatwound 11s on mine and it sounds and plays just great.