The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 45

User Info Menu

There are two used Heritage Eagle Classics listed at a big-box online retailers website, one in transparent blue with a floating pickup and pickguard mounted controls (I'm still waiting for pictures regarding the other one)

I am currently in the market for an archtop to be used as an acoustic and have been considering a Loar, but these Heritage guitars have got me interested.

Who can tell me more about the Eagle Classic model?
    How would it sound played purely acoustically?
    Is $1495 a good price, reverb.com seems to have them listed much higher

Thanks in advance!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

If you plan on playing it mostly acoustic and like the blue finish (I do), that Blue Classic will do you well. Normally, the Eagle Classic has two mounted humbuckers (think L5-CES). I am partial to Heritage guitars and may be biased (like my amps), but I think that is a great price for a unique guitar. I have sold two eagle classics with 2 humbuckers over the past few years and got between 1800 and 1900 between shipping fees, paypal fees, etc. if that helps.

I also like blue which is uncommon however, Heritage seems to make it work quite well for an archtop. I don't think you will find them very often under 1500.

As long as the retailer has a return policy, I don't think you can go wrong. Good luck

Here's a photo the employee sent, Its the standard 45 day return policy

i am waiting for the other store to email me pictures of their Eagle Classic, which is almond sunburst before I make any decisions
    Attached Images Attached Images Good Price for a Used Heritage Eagle Classic?-image-jpg 

both of mine were almond sunburst and gorgeous finishes. you have a good problem/good decision to make.

Don't see too many eagle classics with floaters and based on your description (acoustic), I see a blue guitar in your future

User Info Menu

A. Heritage are probably the most underrated, unknown, high quality, fairly priced gits around.

B. Blue is THE Bomb!

I thought Heritage were sold through a sort of limited network of dealers, I have never seen one new in a LGS.

Here are some more photos of this Eagle Classic

im trying to find out a bit more about it, the back seems very plain vs the much more flamey backs on other Eagles I have seen, is it possibly an all Mahogany model? Also the very plain inlays on the fingerboard (is this a sign of it being an Eagle Classic?)
    i was told it was a 1997

im assuming that this is all solid wood/carved?

the dimensions are the standard 17"x3", 25.5" scale
    Attached Images Attached Images Good Price for a Used Heritage Eagle Classic?-image-jpg Good Price for a Used Heritage Eagle Classic?-image-jpg Good Price for a Used Heritage Eagle Classic?-image-jpg 

User Info Menu

Correct on "solid wood carved."

The "O" makes it a 1998 year guitar

It does appear more like a Mahogany I've previously owned, except for the tuners. Since the tuners and tailpiece don't match I'm assuming the tuners were an aftermarket install.

Still, a solid guitar at a decent buy. I'd stay away from the blue if you're not all in on it, as it will be more of a challenge to sell should you not bond with the guitar.

User Info Menu

Both at Guitar Center so the 45 days return should be no problem. The guitar definitely shows some where, which has the price making sense. I have seen the blue guitar for sale recently... eBay, Reverb,... I don't recall. At least it looks like the same guitar. Doesn't mean anything negative, rather the seller likely traded the guitar. That stated, blue guitars are harder to sell. Just something to consider if resale is in your future.

Good luck with your decision.

User Info Menu

Have you offered $1350 yet? No reason not to. As folks have mention blue could make it harder to sell; don't think they don't know that too - try to use that to your advantage. Blue would not make it harder to sell to me though.

I'm still waiting for the pictures of the other sunburst one before I make a decision

also trying to decide on this VS Loar LH700

User Info Menu

Lol, as a person who's owned a Loar and owns a Heritage, you're choosing between a cheeseburger and a dry aged ribeye.

Mind you, a cheeseburger hits the spot if you want a cheeseburger.

But seriously, Heritage...steps and steps above.

From reading posts on the forum I knew you had owned an LH600, It was actually some of your posts that steered me towards the LH700 (and hoping to further avoid quality issues).
    Which Heritage model do you have now, and how would you say it compares to the Loar acoustically ?

User Info Menu

I wouldn't really compare them, they are different guitars with different purposes, for me. I have a H-575, which is an electric guitar.

I'm just talking in overall quality, workmanship, materials. The Heritage's are on par with just about anything in the world. The Loars are not bad guitars, just not in the same league.

User Info Menu

Completely agree. Don't compare an LH700 to a 575. Totally different guitars with completely different voices. If you do 4 to the bar the LH700 will smoke a 575. You've already seen youtube videos of the LH700 I'm sure. Acoustically the '700 has a superior voice to the 575. As it should for it's depth is 3 3/8" vs. 2.75" for the 575.

Having owned a 575 and LH650 my choice would be for the LH700, because I enjoy acoustic playing. If I'm into an electric archtop mainly I'd select a 575 with a humbucker.

You can do anything you want with the LH700, but you'll likely need to fine tune the guitar to your taste...meaning dialing the guitar in via a pro setup, and adding a pickup. Good luck!

I was actually comparing to an Eagle classic with a floater not a 575, I was thinking that the 17x3 body and no pickup routed in would give it a nicer acoustic voice than the Loar

I bit the bullet on this one, they helped offset the shipping cost, threw on a set of .013 flatwounds for me and said it should ship out tomorrow

i am excited and hoping that this cures the itch for an acoustic archtop
    worst case, I have 45 days to return it for my money back
    Attached Images Attached Images Good Price for a Used Heritage Eagle Classic?-image-jpg Good Price for a Used Heritage Eagle Classic?-image-jpg Good Price for a Used Heritage Eagle Classic?-image-jpg Good Price for a Used Heritage Eagle Classic?-image-jpg 

User Info Menu

You're gonna put flatwounds on a guitar you want to be an acoustic archtop?

Damn! I just told them to put them on out of habit ! I completely spaced

What at stribgs would you recommend?

User Info Menu

Great find ! No bling, but much of class ! And for what seems to be a fair price.

As for the strings, it depends on the use you'll make of this guitar. When you mean acoustic, is it just for home practicing alone, or will you consider gigging ? Take the time to try different kind of strings to find the right match between the guitar, the strings and you.

Happy NGD !

User Info Menu

That is indeed a heritage eagle classic, spruce top, mahogany back and sides, and neck, with a floating pickup. Heritage denotes the "eagle" as a model, which can have a floating pickup, a neck pickup, or two pickups. You can have it built any way you wish. The next step up would be the golden eagle, with the same body size specs, but fancier bling. The super eagle moves up into the 18" body size. They ran a decent amount of the spruce topped mahogany back and sides the last 15 years. Yours will sound amazing and a top notch buy for $1495. Seriously, try all kinds of strings-rounds, flats, different sizes and makes. Everyone has a different experience. Some of the top builders will tell you to put acoustic bronze strings on an archtop and mic it. You will find a set that works well with your ears, amp, guitar.

Just curious, what effect on tone the mahogany back and sides have vs maple
    also, are the sides and back laminated or all solid wood on these

User Info Menu

However, I've never once seen a "Heritage Classic" with simple beige binding, dot inlays, rosewood fretboard, and unbound pick guard. However, most Heritage Mahogany's appear like this guitar, save for the gold pickguard and tuners. Find me another "Heritage Classic" with simple beige binding and an unbound pickguard and I'd have to reconsider. Generally, The Heritage Classic is only one step down from a Golden Eagle, featuring most the extra trim a GE has save for 7 ply top binding. This guitar, if it's a Classic, is the most scaled down base model looking "classic" I've ever seen. If I was buying this guitar I'd have to authenticate it's "classicness" via Heritage. Because to me it appears like a base model Mahogany Eagle with a spruce rather than a Mahogany top. It's nearly identical to the base model Mahogany I owned years ago. And definitely looks nothing like the Classic Jack Zucker sold here on the forum weeks ago.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tfling
    Just curious, what effect on tone the mahogany back and sides have vs maple
    also, are the sides and back laminated or all solid wood on these
    To the best of my knowledge Heritage does not make a "laminated" seventeen inch archtop outside of the H550 model, and every one of those has inset humbucker pickups, and not floating pickups.

The guitars in both photos project solid wood guitars.

User Info Menu

Maple tends to be brighter and tighter, mahogany tends to be warm and full with a definite woody tone. Like a nice mahogany flat top the tone can be very complex with on old time woody vibe. My favorite combination for a flat top, would love to get a 'hog & spruce archtop.

your guitar is from 1994, mahogany and spruce Eagles were more common in the 90's, I believe it was a standard model at the time. Check the label when it arrives, might be an "Eagle" and not an "Eagle Classic".
    Last edited by MaxTwang; 10-27-2016 at 01:10 AM.

User Info Menu

It will sound amazing! The spruce and the mahogany are a killer combo.