The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 46 of 46

User Info Menu

Thanks for the specs and Web page links.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Beauty!

I've always wondered how Hofner could keep its prices down. German labor isn't cheap. Any insights?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    I've always wondered how Hofner could keep its prices down. German labor isn't cheap. Any insights?
    Hofner hardly keeps its prices down - these are not cheap guitars new.
    2017 MAP on a New President is $4,200 USD. List price is $6,000.
    2017 MAP on a shellac-finish Chancellor is $6,900 USD. List price is $9,800.
    Hofner's German-built archtop guitar output has been getting smaller for years.
    Most of the ones they do make are sold into Europe, UK, Japan and other foreign markets.
    Only a handful have been sold in North America over the past few years.
    Because Hofner does virtually no marketing, very few people know about these guitars.
    Like Heritage, they sell used at a massive discount in the secondary marketplace.

Hofner sells German-made violins, violas, cellos, upright basses, bows, classical guitars and Beatle basses.
    They also make violins, violas, cellos, and upright basses in China.
    And they have lots of Chinese Beatle basses, Verythins, Shortys and other electric guitars made for them in China.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 10-22-2020 at 03:51 AM.

User Info Menu

I 've been reading and interacting with Hammertone for too long now...I have the Hofner itch...would love to try one. Germans do make good stuff...as do the Japanese. I do adore my Ibanez shredder guitars for jazz...

User Info Menu

The extended cutaway on (some ?, of) the Hofner big-body archtops has always attracted me.

User Info Menu

Finally, a new president we can all agree is awesome!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarbean25
    I 've been reading and interacting with Hammertone for too long now...I have the Hofner itch...would love to try one. Germans do make good stuff...as do the Japanese. I do adore my Ibanez shredder guitars for jazz...

And Americans don't ? ! ! Reputedly, the greatest archtop, D'Angelico, is made in New Jersey; the carved ones. Steinway pianos are family made in Brooklyn.. and what the $@^!*#! is a shredder guitar as opposed to a plain guitar ? Honestly, this shredding thing is so stupid a term...But then again, deafening volume, slinky string metal players are stupid and don't belong in a, hello, Jazz forum, in the first place...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkInLA

And Americans don't ? ! !
    You are putting words into his mouth. Where did he say that?

User Info Menu

Hofner New President-oapcdncolfgjk-gif

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Hofner New President-oapcdncolfgjk-gif
    American movies don't have exploding heads ? ! ! Reputedly, the greatest exploding head movies are made in America! That's from a scene in a movie that's not American and wasn't even filmed in America. And the actor isn't American, either. Silly Kiwis. You suck.

OK, watching that shot makes me laugh and laugh and laugh some more. Good times...
    Last edited by Hammertone; 09-15-2018 at 08:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    American movies don't have exploding heads ? ! ! The greatest exploding head movies are made in America! That's from a scene in a movie that's not American and wasn't even filmed in America. And the actor isn't American, either. Silly Kiwis. You suck.

OK, watching that shot makes me laugh and laugh and laugh some more. Good times...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkInLA

And Americans don't ? ! ! Reputedly, the greatest archtop, D'Angelico, is made in New Jersey; the carved ones. Steinway pianos are family made in Brooklyn.. and what the $@^!*#! is a shredder guitar as opposed to a plain guitar ? Honestly, this shredding thing is so stupid a term...But then again, deafening volume, slinky string metal players are stupid and don't belong in a, hello, Jazz forum, in the first place...
    um...WOH!

I have a 2002 hofner new president in near untouched condition.. I acquired this beautiful instrument from a family member but it doesn't get played but a few times a year and I've decided it's time for it to find a new home.. I am aware that these guitars are rare and highly regarded in the jazz community, but I wouldn't consider myself a "collector" and It doesn't feel right to me to just see it sit in the case.. it needs to be played. If you are interested in pictures or any other information please let me know.. thank you!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iamfryeman1989@gmail.com
    I have a 2002 hofner new president in near untouched condition.. I acquired this beautiful instrument from a family member but it doesn't get played but a few times a year and I've decided it's time for it to find a new home.. I am aware that these guitars are rare and highly regarded in the jazz community, but I wouldn't consider myself a "collector" and It doesn't feel right to me to just see it sit in the case.. it needs to be played. If you are interested in pictures or any other information please let me know.. thank you!
    This needs to go in the "For Sale" subforum with pictures and a price. Please read before you post. This is a pretty kind and forgiving group to newbies, but try to adhere to the rules.

Selling Stuff? Read here first!

User Info Menu

Hi, trying to decide between the two. I play a bit of jazzed up rock and blues. Is the Vice President a better choice? Is there really much difference besides the extra pick-up and nicer trim?

User Info Menu

Would really value your opinion. I've never had a Hofner before

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyJeff
    Hi, trying to decide between the two. I play a bit of jazzed up rock and blues. Is the Vice President a better choice? Is there really much difference besides the extra pick-up and nicer trim?
    There are little differences depending on what years the models were built, but beyond that, they are identical instruments.

Hofner Vice President (2000)

One-off Gold Label New President (2012):

New President (2005):

New President Custom (2011)

Thin President (2005)

User Info Menu

I thought the vice president was winning until I saw the new president. And then I saw the new president custom. Wow.

User Info Menu

Would really value your opinion. I've never had a Hofner before
    Check your PM.

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    I thought the vice president was winning until I saw the new president. And then I saw the new president custom. Wow.
    I thought I had it in the For Sale area right on this forum, but I can't seem to find it. I'll post it again, sheesh.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 02-06-2021 at 05:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Hofners are well-crafted, reasonably priced instruments that are wildly under-valued in the marketplace. Real-deal olde worlde craftsmanship with modern playability.