The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 46

User Info Menu

Just bought it online without playing first..... heard and see some many nice things about it, and the price was very right. Any owners here, thoughts? Only concern (maybe unfounded) is that the fretboard radius is 7.25", not a dealbreaker at this point, but curious if anyone can verify. Thanks again.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Paging Mr. Hammertone!

User Info Menu

Congratulations! Post some pix of it! Where did you get it? It's nice to hear that someone has embraced a German-built Hofner jazz guitar. I'm always happy to provide whatever information I can on German-built Hofner jazz guitars. I've dealt with many New Presidents, Jazzicas, Verythins and Chancellors over the past 16 years.
    Good times….
    Last edited by Hammertone; 10-11-2016 at 11:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks Hammertone - I'll post some pictures when it arrives, its shipping today (found on Reverb, a store in NC). It is used, a 2004 model, looks to be in great condition, we'll see!

Being of German descent myself, and a big fan of Attila Zoller and Jimmy Raney, it just kind of makes sense plus has everything I like.... 16", scale, ebony board, solid top, high fret access, blond, etc.

These seem to be very much loved by their owners, but not too many around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by avenir
    Thanks Hammertone - I'll post some pictures when it arrives, its shipping today (found on Reverb, a store in NC). It is used, a 2004 model, looks to be in great condition, we'll see!

Being of German descent myself, and a big fan of Attila Zoller and Jimmy Raney, it just kind of makes sense plus has everything I like.... 16", scale, ebony board, solid top, high fret access, blond, etc.

These seem to be very much loved by their owners, but not too many around.
    You will enjoy that guitar. I have a 2002 build. I don't know the fretboard radius but I believe you are correct about 7.25". Mine has 24 frets and I really like the higher access all the way to E. It sounds like a decent mandolin when you play there too. The pickup is also very well made and more adjustable than other floating pickups I have seen.

If you strum hard with a gypsy pick, it is very loud and can cover that style if you are interested.

User Info Menu

Happy Jazzica owner here. German guitars for the win!

User Info Menu

The guitar arrived late yesterday, have not had a lot of time with it yet, but it has exceeded my expectations -- it's a beautifully made and wonderful sounding guitar (came from previous owner with acoustic bronze strings, changing them momentarily).

I guess that's what one would expect from a handmade guitar, has Hubert Kaa signature on the sticker on the inside. Also came with the Hofner catalog and hang tag.

Could not be happier, was looking for something like this, understated and functional. Worries about fretboard radius (had heard possibly 7.25") were unfounded, this feels like 12" which is good. I'll also note that the catalog specs the scale length as 25.5" and not 25.25" as I've seen, no big deal either way for me.

I'll post some pics in a bit.

User Info Menu

The guitar arrived late yesterday, have not had a lot of time with it yet, but it has exceeded my expectations -- it's a beautifully made and wonderful sounding guitar (came from previous owner with acoustic bronze strings, changing them momentarily).

I guess that's what one would expect from a handmade guitar, has Hubert Kaa signature on the sticker on the inside. Also came with the Hofner catalog and hang tag.

Could not be happier, was looking for something like this, understated and functional. Worries about fretboard radius (had heard possibly 7.25") were unfounded, this feels like 12" which is good. I'll also note that the catalog specs the scale length as 25.5" and not 25.25" as I've seen, no big deal either way for me.

If you have time, please post the catalog page(s) also, thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

A few pics, been on the road a few days.... will scan the catalog it came with when I get some time.
    IMAG0213.jpgIMAG0214.IMAG0215.jpg

User Info Menu

Hofner New President-imag0213-jpgHofner New President-imag0214-jpgHofner New President-imag0215-jpg

User Info Menu

Well, your photos suck, but we get the idea.
    I used my New President on a gig this past Sunday, and it performed admirably.
    Hooray for Hofner New Presidents!
    Last edited by Hammertone; 10-22-2020 at 03:49 AM.

User Info Menu

That is a fine and handsome instrument, avenir! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Thanks gents, she's a player, very happy with it.

Yes, my photography skills are somewhat lacking, here are some better pics

Hofner New President-imag0216-jpgHofner New President-imag0218-jpgHofner New President-imag0219-jpgHofner New President-imag0223-jpgHofner New President-imag0224-jpg

User Info Menu

Ha! Well played!

User Info Menu

Glad you appreciate my humor.... all in fun!

User Info Menu

She's a beauty!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Well, your photos suck, but we get the idea.
    I used my New President on a gig this past Sunday, and it performed admirably.
    Hooray for Hofner New Presidents!
    Record your next gig! One using the new pres and one using the Chancellor!

User Info Menu

I'd like to add that the finish makes a significant contribution to the tone of recent Hofner guitars. I own two recent fully hollow Hofners whose tones are very different from one another. One is a french polished New President, whose tone is so dry that it reminds me a bit of older manouche gypsy guitars. The other is a poly finished Jazzica that features a quieter, yet sweeter, tone while retaining its acoustic properties.

User Info Menu

Say, that looks like a capote anglais...What's it doing on a German guitar?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Say, that looks like a capote anglais...What's it doing on a German guitar?
    Hysterical - can't beat your wit and cleverness.

User Info Menu

Thanks gents, she's a player, very happy with it.

Yes, my photography skills are somewhat lacking, here are some better pics

Hofner New President-imag0224-jpg
    Ha ha nha ha ....

Best laugh all day, thanks.

User Info Menu

u

Sounds like a great purchase . Could you confirm the scalelength please? Im looking to get one.

User Info Menu

Totally jealous here.

User Info Menu

Makes me wish Hofner made a President in Tenor Guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Davidson
    Sounds like a great purchase . Could you confirm the scalelength please? Im looking to get one.
    The scale length is 25 1/4" - various past bits of catalogue info on paper and online got this wrong for years, because no one bothered to check. More important things to do, involving beer. I bothered to check one day and edited as many of my old posts as I could find, at least until I got thirsty.

New President variations exist, which are important to some folks. Within the envelope of 15 7/8" wide, carved spruce top, laminated back/rims versions, these include:
    -24 frets or 22 frets (on later ones)
    -poly finishes or shellac finishes, even a few with nitro finishes
    -single floating pickup or two pickups (second one sits on top), with associated controls
    -ebony/gold-plated hardware or nickel-plated hardware
    -most with @3 5/8" rims, some thinline (2 1/4" rims)
    -various one-offs and short runs in fun colours, perloid binding, oversized headstocks, no inlays, etceteras.
    -various names - New President, Vice-President, Thin President, President Custom, President Special, but they are essentially the same instrument.

There were several subtle, under the-hood changes over the years as well. Happy to go over those some other time.

The current version is called the New President. Here's one shown on the Hofner website:
    [ed. as of 10/20: These days, there is a New President is shown on the website, built with rims and back of laminated "highly decorative moabi wood." This one has two staple pickups, nickel-plated parts, and no fretboard inlays.]
    Hofner Quality

[ed. as of 02/21: ...and as of the second week in February, 2021, there is no longer a New President shown on the Hofner website. I guess they sold the one that they had, ha! I'll continue to update this post as Hofner's carved-top jazz guitars come, and go, and come, and ...well, you get the idea, eh?]
    Attached Images Attached Images Hofner New President-screen-shot-2021-02-05-7-28-22-pm-png 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 02-10-2021 at 03:46 AM.