The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I hear no difference. Curious to see if anyone does.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't hear it either. He and the Guitar both sound great both takes .

Which proves that on his Guitar and playing Style = inaudible...

Ebony fretboard ...mixing in some legato to your Bebop...not sure .
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 12-16-2018 at 09:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I hear no difference. Curious to see if anyone does.
    I hear clearer upper partials with the stainless steel frets. The upper partials sound more well ordered, well stacked up, more bell-like.

User Info Menu

I think the soft golden hue of EVO looks quite fetching on a maple neck.

Stainless steel frets or EVO?-dsc_0110-jpg

User Info Menu

i've never tried evo frets myself, but stainless is the bomb. i "can't wait" for the frets on my ES to wear down to needing replacement (i'm going stainless), even if it's a $500+++ investment

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I hear clearer upper partials with the stainless steel frets. The upper partials sound more well ordered, well stacked up, more bell-like.
    I can see/hear that. It's really, really subtle though.

User Info Menu

Chords sound more beautiful to me when Guitars do that...even complex chords sound sweeter when the harmonics align...takes a really accurate fret placement and some Guitars just seem to resonate sweeter...even order harmonics.

I wonder if I can hear that on headphones thru my phone.

OT- but that is a quality I look for when trying out a Guitar....

Nice thing about stainless- it will stay that way a long long time if the precise crowning of the frets is responsible...and the alloy ( probably both right ?)
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 12-17-2018 at 07:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I can see/hear that. It's really, really subtle though.
    It is subtle and to some it may not mean anything of significance or consequence at all so they may hear it but dismiss it. I am a longtime audiophool so I listen out for these things. That is why audiophools often get derided for smoking crack because many of these subtleties are either swept away as confirmation bias or so insignificant as not to merit mention. But they do work on your appreciation of the work in very subtle ways.

User Info Menu

I used to be more of an audiophile, but my power amps (VTL mono blocks) kept breaking. I now use a tube stereo power amp and my VTL pre-amp (which seems to be a lot more durable than the VTL mono blocks that I had.) That said, I have moved more toward quantity versus quality. I have my entire music library in Apple's cloud and can play any bit of it anywhere. I guess that I have kind of hunkered back to the Walkman days in a way.

User Info Menu

Ha! I gave up on that, too. I had Audio Research Corp. and Jadis monobloks. Retubing them cost me a fortune. 16 x 6550s for the ARC, 16 x KT88s for the Jadis. The Convergent Audio Tech preamp was a little better as the preamp tubes lasted longer but NOS 6992 tubes aren't cheap and there were at least 10 of them.

Down to active monitors and nearfield listening. Giant headphones almost. The less you read the subjective audiophile rags, the better off you would be. It was a relief to throw off the audiophile mantle. Money pit.

User Info Menu

Wow. 16 6550's - that is a LOT of wattage .
    Must be some beautiful , crystal clear , accurate audio with beautiful even harmonics though...