The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 240

User Info Menu

super nice playing Joe.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's a wonderful guitar and above all a wonderful story of friendship. You guys are really cool. And one has to admit that, thanks to Steve, the right guitar has found the right new owner and caretaker. I bet the guitar is just as happy as is Joe. Congrats & enjoy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter
    That's a wonderful guitar and above all a wonderful story of friendship. You guys are really cool. And one has to admit that, thanks to Steve, the right guitar has found the right new owner and caretaker. I bet the guitar is just as happy as is Joe. Congrats & enjoy!
    Drifter, there are a lot of guys around here that would do that for one another.
    The guitar has a nice home now. It sits in A D'Angelico's old digs.. I will take care of it like Steve and the original owner did. Thanks buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    super nice playing Joe.
    pkirk, my man..thanks buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Very nice Joe , is this really it now ? you can't top the GJS , The
    tone on your recordings is superb, congrats on the acquisition
    and if I may say, very kind of Steve to purchase it, and keep it
    on your behalf he is a real gent.
    Best, my friend
    Thats almost it. Once I get another L5 then I'm gonna pull the fork out of Stringswinger and then stick it in myself..
    thanks Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Joe: Nice guitar!
    thanks buddy.

User Info Menu

I can guarantee that fork is going to get lost somewhere between CA. and N.J. and will take years to find.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I can guarantee that fork is going to get lost somewhere between CA. and N.J. and will take years to find.
    I may have already misplaced it....

User Info Menu

So JD, maybe not today, nor next week, nor the week after, but since you have both instruments in house, the natural question eventually becomes how do the two instruments differ?

HJS and GJS. Not seeking a heritage vs. gibson debate, for they're completely different instruments build wise. But eventually it would be nice to hear your evaluation and/or comparisons, especially since you're on record with one that you've lived with for some time...no rush...maybe in a few more months...curious minds want to know your thoughts

User Info Menu

Joe, this is just such an awesome story! A truly world-class instrument in the hands of a man who can bring out its wonderful breadth of tones in all their nuanced glory. And your renditions of the selections from the GAS masterfully demonstrate why these tunes are great in the first place.
    Congratulations to you, and kudos to Steve and Marc for their good offices in making this all happen. May you all continue to make the music we all enjoy so much in good health!

User Info Menu

Joe, F'n perfection man! The sound is to die for! Congrats dude, my total dream machine for sure! I'm happy for you...really...

Johnny Smith's Moonlight in Vermont is what caught my ear for jazz guitar in the first place. Mr. Smith is "IT" for me!!

User Info Menu

I am a huge fan of significant friendship. I have a few friends I have worked hard to stay close to for 35+ years, and the fruit of those sorts of friendships is beyond calculation.

You guys have given me a story to file under "seriously classy friendship behavior."

Joe I am so happy for you to have that guitar. I know it's happy too. And I think Steve grabbing it for you is just sterling. I haven't heard such a thing in a long time.

Setting the pace, guys. If we all on this forum emulated your behavior this would be the best place in the world short of heaven.

User Info Menu

Joe,Glad you finally got your Holy Grail. Both you and the guitar are wonderful but,I must ask you. Is that a picture of you in the back ground frustrated at trying to finish Giant Steps? Luv ya, AG

User Info Menu

That story and your playing made my day, beautiful!

An acquisition like that can change your perspective on what's possible.

All the best!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    So JD, maybe not today, nor next week, nor the week after, but since you have both instruments in house, the natural question eventually becomes how do the two instruments differ?

HJS and GJS. Not seeking a heritage vs. gibson debate, for they're completely different instruments build wise. But eventually it would be nice to hear your evaluation and/or comparisons, especially since you're on record with one that you've lived with for some time...no rush...maybe in a few more months...curious minds want to know your thoughts
    i am going to try. The problem with playing one after the other for me is string placement. It's hard for me get accustomed to different guitars. But I will try bro, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Joe, this is just such an awesome story! A truly world-class instrument in the hands of a man who can bring out its wonderful breadth of tones in all their nuanced glory. And your renditions of the selections from the GAS masterfully demonstrate why these tunes are great in the first place.
    Congratulations to you, and kudos to Steve and Marc for their good offices in making this all happen. May you all continue to make the music we all enjoy so much in good health!
    thank you c74. The planets and some nice people lined up for me on this one. A lot of great things have happened for me on this sight. Stat tuned for more great stories! Thank you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Olmstead
    Joe, F'n perfection man! The sound is to die for! Congrats dude, my total dream machine for sure! I'm happy for you...really...

Johnny Smith's Moonlight in Vermont is what caught my ear for jazz guitar in the first place. Mr. Smith is "IT" for me!!
    Ken, playing Johnny stuff on a Johnny is surreal. Alot of sounds unique to his playing are locked only In that guitar.
    I love Johnny too! See him looking up at my name in my avatar? Now find that picture on like and he not looking up there. Vinny told me I need professional help. I agree .. thanks bro.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I am a huge fan of significant friendship. I have a few friends I have worked hard to stay close to for 35+ years, and the fruit of those sorts of friendships is beyond calculation.

You guys have given me a story to file under "seriously classy friendship behavior."

Joe I am so happy for you to have that guitar. I know it's happy too. And I think Steve grabbing it for you is just sterling. I haven't heard such a thing in a long time.

Setting the pace, guys. If we all on this forum emulated your behavior this would be the best place in the world short of heaven.
    Lawson you make this place great. And I thank you for always being a good dude. And believe or not, I wish I still had the 165.. I'm glad you have it though..
    Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Guy
    Joe,Glad you finally got your Holy Grail. Both you and the guitar are wonderful but,I must ask you. Is that a picture of you in the back ground frustrated at trying to finish Giant Steps? Luv ya, AG
    Hah! Classic AG! Funny story.. I painted that picture of myself the night the NyRangers left Mike Richter in a game when they were up 7-0 to Edmonton Oilers. He sustained a concussion after he got hit in the head with puck. I was livid! That's expression that was on my face. I got my pens and my airbrush out and froze the moment in a self portrait.
    And, I am not going to learn rest of Giant Steps, no way. He couldn't remember how to play what he played on the record, you really think I could? Good catch. Thanks bro!
    Quote Originally Posted by vanschoyck
    That story and your playing made my day, beautiful!
    An acquisition like that can change your perspective on what's possible.
    All the best!
    that's great buddy. I am glad you liked it. Yes, life is great!
    JD

User Info Menu

I'm going to predict that the only way he lets this one go is if he finds a 'better' JS.
    otherwise there's nowhere left to go.
    even w/all the other guitars coming and going I always knew he had the itch to own a GJS.
    itch scratched....
    HNGD Joe!

User Info Menu

p.s. time for a new pickguard, you're getting corrosion on the edge of the pickup and upper frets.

User Info Menu

Even without reading the back story, just listening to the video recordings you posted- this is your guitar. This one. Even with it new to your hands, you are fluid on it and the tone completely compliments what you play. Contratulations, bud!

User Info Menu

"Contratulations?" What the hell is that? Jeez. Should have gone back and fixed it but it was funnier to leave it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I'm going to predict that the only way he lets this one go is if he finds a 'better' JS.
    otherwise there's nowhere left to go.
    even w/all the other guitars coming and going I always knew he had the itch to own a GJS.
    itch scratched....
    HNGD Joe!
    wintermoon, I don't think I can find and then afford a better JS. It's unlikely that I'll find a better guitar period than this one, in this lifetime.
    You nailed it, I haven't scratched myself for almost a week now. I had faith in this guitar. It's all I hoped it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    p.s. time for a new pickguard, you're getting corrosion on the edge of the pickup and upper frets.
    yes, this one did it's job and lived a long life. It's gonna have to be replaced at some point.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Even without reading the back story, just listening to the video recordings you posted- this is your guitar. This one. Even with it new to your hands, you are fluid on it and the tone completely compliments what you play. Contratulations, bud!
    Thanks my good man. I told Vinny and Steve that I found something in the setup that was messing me up. The pickguard is warped and it's contact pad was off the body by almost 1/4". When I placed my pinky down on the home position, the PG pushed downward. That was messing me up. I fixed it last night, after I recorded the videos. I wish I fixed it 1st. Now my runs are clean and my playing is more accurate. I'll do more videos and you will hear it.
    Thanks again.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    i am going to try. The problem with playing one after the other for me is string placement. It's hard for me get accustomed to different guitars. But I will try bro, for sure.
    I'm guessing it's near pointless for the tops alone won't have been similarly carved. But it makes for interesting forum fodder as usual

Congrats again JD!

User Info Menu

Ok, for you guys, I did some comparisons..
    Well, they are both in display cabinets, hanging freely. FWIW, just strumming the open strings on each, revealed a surprise. The Heritage is a tad louder. The Gibson sounds bigger though. Like surround sound. Maybe because the Ti12 JS's are newer on the Gibson? But playing them is really where the difference lies. The Gibson is easier to play and it just does more after you play stuff. You put minimal effort into the Gibson and its character flows freely. I thought the Gibson would be more sterile. Actually, the Heritage is. Now don't get me wrong, the Heritage makes sounds no other guitar I've tried makes. The Heritage feels delicate compared to the Gibson. The GJS feels like an L5 and the HJS feels like a single pickup older 175. The Heritage feels like you can break it in your hands. The Gibson feels like you can kill somebody with it. The balance on both are excellent. As Vinny put it, the large headstock and the Sealfast tuners on the Gibson are balanced perfectly by the L5 style tailpiece. Played electrically, there is no contest, whatsoever. The Gibson sounds more powerful. The sound is superior in high and low and middle frequencies. The Heritage sounds great but is weak. I had the volume on 5 on the Gibson and it was cranking out glorious music. I plugged the Heritage in and turned up the volume all the way AND had to turn the volume up on the amp to get a comparable volume. The Heritage electronics are noisy and the Gibson is dead quiet.
    If Gibson popped there head out of there asses and put wooden pickguards on all these high end guitars like Heritage does, they wouldn't have 22 year old guitars that are deteriorating already. The fit and finish on the 1994 Heritage is superlative. The fit and finish on the 1976 Gibson is excellent but, I think they had Helen Keller scraping the bindings.. The HJS has Johnny Smith's signature on the label. The Gibson doesn't have any labels.
    The Heritage is a supreme value. Hovering around $4,000, I honestly don't think you could get better for that price. It's performance is outstanding and is bested only by the Gibson. The Gibson, however is almost double the price at around $7,000 and thankfully, it is clearly a better guitar. For me it would have sucked if I thought the Heritage was a better guitar. I love the look of this particular Heritage, even without the Rose that at least 4 of you lucky bastards have, and I don't. Now that own a Gibson JS, Probably the only way I would keep a Heritage JS, is if I had an 18" one with a Rose on the pickguard.. (oh, Mikey, did you hear that? How bout a little tradey poo?) Or this lovely HJS will be used to get my L5 that I covet, and then I will re-insert the fork into me head..
    JD

User Info Menu

Ok, for you guys, I did some comparisons..
    Well, they are both in display cabinets, hanging freely. FWIW, just strumming the open strings on each, revealed a surprise. The Heritage is a tad louder. The Gibson sounds bigger though. Like surround sound. Maybe because the Ti12 JS's are newer on the Gibson? But playing them is really where the difference lies. The Gibson is easier to play and it just does more after you play stuff. You put minimal effort into the Gibson and its character flows freely. I thought the Gibson would be more sterile. Actually, the Heritage is. Now don't get me wrong, the Heritage makes sounds no other guitar I've tried makes. The Heritage feels delicate compared to the Gibson. The GJS feels like an L5 and the HJS feels like a single pickup older 175. The Heritage feels like you can break it in your hands. The Gibson feels like you can kill somebody with it. The balance on both are excellent. As Vinny put it, the large headstock and the Sealfast tuners on the Gibson are balanced perfectly by the L5 style tailpiece. Played electrically, there is no contest, whatsoever. The Gibson sounds more powerful. The sound is superior in high and low and middle frequencies. The Heritage sounds great but is weak. I had the volume on 5 on the Gibson and it was cranking out glorious music. I plugged the Heritage in and turned up the volume all the way AND had to turn the volume up on the amp to get a comparable volume. The Heritage electronics are noisy and the Gibson is dead quiet.
    If Gibson popped there head out of there asses and put wooden pickguards on all these high end guitars like Heritage does, they wouldn't have 22 year old guitars that are deteriorating already. The fit and finish on the 1994 Heritage is superlative. The fit and finish on the 1976 Gibson is excellent but, I think they had Helen Keller scraping the bindings.. The HJS has Johnny Smith's signature on the label. The Gibson doesn't have any labels.
    The Heritage is a supreme value. Hovering around $4,000, I honestly don't think you could get better for that price. It's performance is outstanding and is bested only by the Gibson. The Gibson, however is almost double the price at around $7,000 and thankfully, it is clearly a better guitar. For me it would have sucked if I thought the Heritage was a better guitar. I love the look of this particular Heritage, even without the Rose that at least 4 of you lucky bastards have, and I don't. Now that own a Gibson JS, Probably the only way I would keep a Heritage JS, is if I had an 18" one with a Rose on the pickguard.. (oh, Mikey, did you hear that? How bout a little tradey poo?) Or this lovely HJS will be used to get my L5 that I covet, and then I will re-insert the fork into me head..
    JD
    The Helen Keller line was politically "insensitive" but hilarious. All Gibson Hollowbodys come from the factory with labels, but some fall off over time. The fact that your GJS is missing the label is sad. You can get a repro label if you wish, but you will need a medium to get Johnny Smith to sign it....

User Info Menu

I do believe your wife will get a hold of that fork and insert it into a different location when the new L5 arrives.
    Take it from one who knows. KY helps. Especially if it is a salad fork.

User Info Menu

careful fellahs

Gibson Johnny Smith (finally)-giant-fork-prop-03-jpg

hah

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    The Helen Keller line was politically "insensitive" but hilarious. All Gibson Hollowbodys come from the factory with labels, but some fall off over time. The fact that your GJS is missing the label is sad. You can get a repro label if you wish, but you will need a medium to get Johnny Smith to sign it....
    i heard some of the Norlins didn't have labels.
    Is that not true? Not that it matters. It's not gonna change anything.
    JD

User Info Menu

i heard some of the Norlins didn't have labels.
    Is that not true? Not that it matters. It's not gonna change anything.
    JD

AFAIK, all came with labels, even the high end archtops:

https://www.archtop.com/ac_76L5C.html

Sometimes they fall off and can be found inside the guitar...time for a mirror and a flashlight?