Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 201 to 240 of 240
  1. #201

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    We almost had to dispatch the Nutbag swat team on you brother. Careful Big Joe is in charge of the red button and he has Quick draw McGraw tendencies.
    Quick draw McGraw?? Nice..

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #202

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    I Honestly think a thin man (with very little in the middle), has an easier time getting comfortable with a fuller depth jazz box, especially while playing standing up. I've noticed this myself. The 175 which is deeper than my JS's sticks out too far when I play it standing up (I look like Freddie Green looked when he was siting down). The dimensions of the GB models are perfect for a regular guy who stands up while playing. The sound of a Johnny Smith as you know, is not the same as a GB. The X bracing, fretboard touching the carved top with the powerful floater and whatever other fairy dust they throw in on a GJS generates a sound that is unique to only Gibson. Nothing else feels, plays or sounds like it. Nothing.
    As I live with my GJS, I realize that by a shear stroke of luck, my desire to own one of these was rewarded with the best guitar experience anyone could ever imagine. The problem is, it has ruined me for other guitars. Because few other guitars compare to it, it will be pushing some other beloved guitars out of my life.


    Hipster, Thanks buddy it was my pleasure.
    JD
    Don't you have an L5ces? Does the GJS make you think you might want to create a little more breathing space for the sheer awesomeness of the GJS by passing along the L5? Just thinking out loud...

  4. #203

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Ya know, it's OK if you find The One guitar and it's the only one you have.
    Wait, no, that's crazy talk. Never mind.
    That's funny.. Last night me and my wife were sitting on the couch in the guitar room, having a tender moment. The couch faces the Guitars. So with her head on my shoulder she says, "So which one do you like the most"? Of Course I pointed to the GJS. Then she says, "so why do you need those other ones"?

    Tender moment over..

    JD

  5. #204

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Don't you have an L5ces? Does the GJS make you think you might want to create a little more breathing space for the sheer awesomeness of the GJS by passing along the L5? Just thinking out loud...
    LS, I have the next best thing to the L5CES, the Tal Farlow (booboo).
    I got too much breathing space as it is.. So an L5WES will be added early next year.

  6. #205

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    That's funny.. Last night me and my wife were sitting on the couch in the guitar room, having a tender moment. The couch faces the Guitars. So with her head on my shoulder she says, "So which one do you like the most"? Of Course I pointed to the GJS. Then she says, "so why do you need those other ones"?

    Tender moment over..

    JD
    And you didn't counter by escorting her by her tender hand to her side of the closet and say, "pick one." You can only have ONE.

  7. #206

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    ... it has ruined me for other guitars. Because few other guitars compare to it, it will be pushing some other beloved guitars out of my life. ...
    …and those will be…?

  8. #207

    User Info Menu

    question: "So which one do you like the most"

    correct answer "why you sweetheart"

    ya blew it Joe.....

  9. #208

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by guitarcarver
    I always thought Martino utilized a Super 400 on that album. One of my favorites. Regardless of which model he used, the tone was great.
    Martino used a GJS around then, I believe but am not positive that he went from his Les Paul to the GJS. He was playing organ trio gigs at the time, so lots of volume. He stuffed his GJS with cotton, pounds of the stuff, to stop the feedback. Agent Smith, I believe, has a story about this from personal experience with Martino.

  10. #209

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    question: "So which one do you like the most"

    correct answer "why you sweetheart"

    ya blew it Joe.....
    Marriage Professional. Very Professional.

  11. #210

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Marriage Professional. Very Professional.
    apparently the ex didn't think so.....

  12. #211

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    I wonder if GB had Ibanez designing his signature guitars to imitate the sound he got on the JS.
    The GB10 was designed to be a cross between a GJS and a Les Paul. George wanted an instrument that was more comfortable to play standing up and could handle higher stage volume. One of the first things the designer did was trace the outlines of a GJS and a Les Paul. The design of the GB10 came together quickly.

  13. #212

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    question: "So which one do you like the most"
    correct answer "why you sweetheart"
    ya blew it Joe.....
    damn.. I missed that one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    …and those will be…?
    probably the other Johnny..

    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    And you didn't counter by escorting her by her tender hand to her side of the closet and say, "pick one." You can only have ONE.
    damn, I missed another one..

  14. #213

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    LS, I have the next best thing to the L5CES, the Tal Farlow (booboo).
    I got too much breathing space as it is.. So an L5WES will be added early next year.
    + 1 to that, The TF is seriously underrated, considering its price new is approx 50% of an L5
    they are a good alternative if cost is the issue.
    This post encouraged me to use both last night ,having been neglected recently.
    As usual both remain in perfect tune ( fitted with TI 12's ) The edge the L5CES has
    over the TF is it's extraordinary tone ,plus an action which lends itself more to a
    LP than an Archtop for ease of use.
    It only becomes apparent after familiarity with the instrument.Mine is now
    nicely played in.This does not denigrate the TF however ( as often mentioned
    this is my third TF)

  15. #214

    User Info Menu

    Long live the TF guitar ! Gibson's BEST bang for the buck archtop.

  16. #215

    User Info Menu

    I purposely neglected my GJS for couple of days. I wanted to see if the difference was noticeable.
    Oh my god..
    The HJS sounds and plays real nice. The 175 is playing perfection and sounds great. The Tal is like a sledgehammer. Thud galore, feels like a tank but it plays great.
    I purposely played the Johnny last. Crazy..

    i think wintermoon said this, and I'll repeat it. The GJS is the only guitar I've ever owned that you can actually make sound like a beautiful human voice. You not only hear it but you feel it. You feel it resinate. The notes are deep and have dimension. The Johnny Smith pickup is a marvel. It picks up all the nuances of the guitar and it also sends an extremely powerful signal to the amp. The low frets make playing fast lines an effortless task. Scales using different strings have all the notes connected with no space in between the strings.
    The D'Angelico Excel had ghosts in it that made sounds I've never heard in a guitar. Maybe it was all that sun shine, pineapples, coconuts and Hawaiian paradise like weather with lovers slow dancing to the music it made.. I don't know. The Gibson Johnny Smith has no ghosts yet it projects your feelings through a guitar like nothing else I've ever touched before. As perfect as perfect gets. I will never look for another guitar that will fill the need for a dream guitar, ever again. Anything else I buy will never be compared to it. I will just buy it because I want it or I gotta have one just because it is what it is.. Because comparing anything to the Gibson Johnny Smith is unfair.
    thanks guys, Joe D

  17. #216

    User Info Menu

    I always felt Gibson JS pickups were far superior than Gibson BJB floaters but that is just me. I am sure you LeGrand owners would differ in my opinion. I know Lee Ritenour is in my camp as he insisted on a JS pickup on his Gibson model.
    He had a JS pickup on his old L5 and I had one on my DAQ after a long battle with Jimmy. JS pickups have a dimension that cannot be explained unless you have had one. They are truly special.

  18. #217

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    I purposely neglected my GJS for couple of days. I wanted to see if the difference was noticeable.
    Oh my god..
    The HJS sounds and plays real nice. The 175 is playing perfection and sounds great. The Tal is like a sledgehammer. Thud galore, feels like a tank but it plays great.
    I purposely played the Johnny last. Crazy..

    i think wintermoon said this, and I'll repeat it. The GJS is the only guitar I've ever owned that you can actually make sound like a beautiful human voice. You not only hear it but you feel it. You feel it resinate. The notes are deep and have dimension. The Johnny Smith pickup is a marvel. It picks up all the nuances of the guitar and it also sends an extremely powerful signal to the amp. The low frets make playing fast lines an effortless task. Scales using different strings have all the notes connected with no space in between the strings.
    The D'Angelico Excel had ghosts in it that made sounds I've never heard in a guitar. Maybe it was all that sun shine, pineapples, coconuts and Hawaiian paradise like weather with lovers slow dancing to the music it made.. I don't know. The Gibson Johnny Smith has no ghosts yet it projects your feelings through a guitar like nothing else I've ever touched before. As perfect as perfect gets. I will never look for another guitar that will fill the need for a dream guitar, ever again. Anything else I buy will never be compared to it. I will just buy it because I want it or I gotta have one just because it is what it is.. Because comparing anything to the Gibson Johnny Smith is unfair.
    thanks guys, Joe D
    When I first plugged in the GJS I could not believe the power of the pickup and its ability to amplify all the sublties of the guitar. That particular guitar just has the magic, like my Legrand - unexplainable perfection that satifies all the senses.

    Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

  19. #218

    User Info Menu

    My baby..

    Sorry guys. The picture is oriented correct when it is attached, but when it uploads it always rotates.
    This is a replacement pickguard that has to be replaced.
    My tech broke the binding when he was routing the pickup notch.
    It is nearly perfect though. Just a couple of little things here and there. Otherwise, its a time warp from 40 years ago. Looks just as good now as it did then. Probably sounds better now too.
    Thanks Steve. And thanks to the man who cherished this guitar god bless your soul, and took great care of it for the 40 years you had it before me. I hope it made you as happy as it is making me. I hope you are in heaven bro..
    JD
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson Johnny Smith (finally)-img_3370-jpg 
    Last edited by Max405; 10-31-2016 at 01:37 PM.

  20. #219

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Long live the TF guitar ! Gibson's BEST bang for the buck archtop.
    On top of being probably my second easiest playing guitar, my Tal is often my go to guitar for live gigs. I wasn't to sure what to do with this guitar until I played a live show with it. Then…POW…the Tal really showed me what it has. I almost fell off my seat!

  21. #220

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    On top of being probably my second easiest playing guitar, my Tal is often my go to guitar for live gigs. I wasn't to sure what to do with this guitar until I played a live show with it. Then…POW…the Tal really showed me what it has. I almost fell off my seat!
    RhythmMan,
    i know exactly what you are saying. I played my Tal on 2 outdoor shows earlier this summer. It's a stable powerhouse that instilled confidence in my playing. The guitar and the amp were taken right out of the equation.
    Just a little heavy to play standing up..
    Joe D

  22. #221

    User Info Menu

    JD,
    i just listened to your videos and love everything about them! Very inspiring to see you continue to work your ass off and get results. I'm also reminded that I need to practice more with a pick!

    I'll just come out and say it. Why do you even own any other guitars? Just say "check please" and be done with it.

  23. #222

    User Info Menu

    kid335, thanks my man. Those videos could have been better if my pickguard wasn't bobbing up and down whenever I touched down. my timing was off and I wasn't at all comfortable with the guitar yet.
    Once i am done with Joe Pass's Minor Detail, which I will record on a 175, I want to do a bunch of new videos on the Gibson. On deck is Joe Pass's the Song is You. I will definitely do that on the Gibson.
    Thanks and the pleasure was all mine.
    JD
    ps. Enough with the crazy talk about one guitar. My wife checks out the site once in a while.. last thing she needs is more ideas..

  24. #223

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Enough with the crazy talk about one guitar. My wife checks out the site once in a while.. last thing she needs is more ideas..
    ONE GUITAR!!!! The horror. What is that guy doing in this part of the forum? Security to the gear section please.

  25. #224

    User Info Menu

    Coffee spit take...LOL

  26. #225

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    When I first plugged in the GJS I could not believe the power of the pickup and its ability to amplify all the sublties of the guitar.
    Yes, the one on my 76 GJS is also very powerful. I've never played a floater with so much output. It's clarity is astonishing while still projecting all the "wooden" warmth of the instrument.

  27. #226

    User Info Menu

    I hear you JazzNote. The other thing is how dead quite it is.

    NO static. No grounding issue. No noise when the plug is jiggled. Just pure, absolute Quietness..
    You can hear the depth of the sound. Especially if you play other guitars right before it.

  28. #227

    User Info Menu

    Gibson Johnny Smith (finally)-img_3370-jpg

  29. #228

    User Info Menu

    Nice top thickness !

  30. #229

    User Info Menu

    I knew you would like it!
    Vin, This guitar would floor you. Especially after you changed the frets.
    I worry about changing the frets. I am afraid that one day, I would start thinking about playing Cherokee and all of a sudden off in the distance I hear the guitar playing Cherokee, all by itself!!
    That's my baby right there bro.
    JD

  31. #230

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    I am afraid that one day, I would start thinking about playing Cherokee and all of a sudden off in the distance I hear the guitar playing Cherokee, all by itself!!
    I wouldn't worry about that, but if it would play Giant Steps by itself that would get me .....

  32. #231

    User Info Menu

    It could probably play it, the trouble is remembering it!

  33. #232

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Gibson Johnny Smith (finally)-img_3370-jpg
    Nice photo bro! Talk about timeless condition! That guitar was destined to be yours! Go ahead with yo' baddd self!

  34. #233

    User Info Menu

    Thanks 2b. Every box checked in bold red sharpie. I must have done something good in a previous life. Like really good. Like Oskar Schindler good...

  35. #234

    User Info Menu

    good stuff Joe

    Big

  36. #235

    User Info Menu

    B-E-you-tee-ful!

    Jeez, none of my gits sound like that, maybe someday. Great playing Joe.

  37. #236

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Nice photo bro! Talk about timeless condition! That guitar was destined to be yours! Go ahead with yo' baddd self!
    The little green eyed monster has just popped it's head up !!
    Last edited by silverfoxx; 11-03-2016 at 03:35 AM.

  38. #237

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    good stuff Joe

    Big
    Congrat's BM, on Chicago eliminating the 108 year old drought by winning the World Series. Could you sleep last night?

  39. #238

    User Info Menu

    Superb guitar congrats man !

    Just checked this out too
    One hell of a guitar player JS !



    He fast !

  40. #239

    User Info Menu

    ^ I've watched that video before - Brilliant!

  41. #240

    User Info Menu

    Thanks Pingu.
    He was fast, and clean. His picking hand was so quiet and efficient. He picked every note. Yet when he had to get funky his right hand was very loose. He had a habit of gaining even more warmth from a guitar by sliding his picking hand up toward the neck, past the body of the guitar and he would use a quick up and down motion as he strummed chords.
    I say this only because he has been credited with such a marvelous left hand that his right hand very seldom gets mentioned.
    He could play anything. I love Johnny.
    JD